HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 04:25 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Without sounding like "whining" because the Esks didn't do enough the whole game to win, but it seemed to me that the Als got more then a few "breaks" on calls.
Oh for sure. A weak PI call set them up for their second touchdown of the game. Joseph was hit high a couple of times and pulled down by his facemask on one play without it being called.

There were two situations where the refs incorrectly called a touchdown for Montreal, both having to be overturned with reviews.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
And 3 touchdowns.
That too.

Incredible poise on his 2nd TD pass to Chambers on that 3rd down gamble and even more poise on his 3rd TD to Stamps on the last play of the game. Looked like a 10 year veteran that had been there and done that before. His spiking of the ball to get a huddle was an incredibly smart and aware move too, whether or not that came from the sidelines, I'm not sure.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Well I gotta line up here and take my lumps for any comments on Nichols.

That was awesome, gutsy performance and I haven't been that excited over the Eskimos in years.

Truly I didn't deserve that from Nichols as I've been on his case but man that was something.

I don't know if its been nerves before but I've never seen him throwing the ball with that kind of authority.

Nice relief pitching Nichols. That was stupendous bullpen performance, almost a magical one for the ages type ending.

Koch was held up in the endzone. That call could've happened on the 2 pt convert.

Man, lets hope these two clubs are playing in Mcgill again 3 weeks from now.

As for Joseph, hurt, multiple injuries as I stated and shouldn't have been playing.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
That too.

Incredible poise on his 2nd TD pass to Chambers on that 3rd down gamble and even more poise on his 3rd TD to Stamps on the last play of the game. Looked like a 10 year veteran that had been there and done that before. His spiking of the ball to get a huddle was an incredibly smart and aware move too, whether or not that came from the sidelines, I'm not sure.
I doubt it. Because it looked like the bench was questioning what he did there.

Wow, Als fans got a dramatic ending. Probably one they didn't want but you know you're at a 60min game when you see something like this.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

OK, wanted to separate this negativity out. Again, what on Earth is with Messam? Somebody explain this player to me.

Injured?

I dunno, not beyond the recovery of injury to his knee. I'm not seeing anything else but a lack of consistent intensity. Soon as they pull him for Boyd, Messam suddenly has his head in the game and punishes the Als with one solid run for 16yds. You tell me Messam is injured after seeing that run. I watched it 6 times. That looks like a healthy RB. His problem is in his head. He seems to get upset at things and only gives it when he's feeling it.

Last edited by Replacement: 10-28-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Nichols was able to actually find the seams in the Montreal defence and he only had 8 minutes to figure it out. Joseph had the entire game and he couldn't do a thing.

Nichols needs to start the next game.
Yeah next game will decide for me if Reed stays on for the Esks next year or not.

If he sticks with Joseph, after Joseph's last few games, I think Reed can go. There is nothing more detrimental to a team than a coaching staff that is stubborn and wont adapt to the situation.

Great performance from Nichols, but it mind boggling why Joseph was given such a big chance, especially when for the second game in a row he wasn't getting it done.

10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Matt ****ing Nichols.

How painful is it knowing that we've thrown away a year of development by sitting him behind Steven Jyles and Kerry Joseph.

Replacement said he had no arm.
He showed an arm today. I gladly take all that back. Like I aready said I don't know if it was nerves and happy feet before but I saw a different Nichols today.

At least we have some hope going forward.

But yeah, I think the org HAS to start Nichols next week. Its the right thing to do afer this and Joseph is really banged up and looking like he would be on the injured list if these games weren't so critical.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
#ualberta

Wow Nichols was impressive he had a bad game against bc but today he was exciting they must give him the start next week
Also hoping Charles is good to go next week we need a running game

Remember even if wwe lose next week Hamilton must be a Toronto week that looked very strong yesterday in order of us to be Elmo ated

Old
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
eskies4life

Wow Dave Campbell is dumb. How can anyone say Nichols doesn't start next week.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Remember even if wwe lose next week Hamilton must be a Toronto week that looked very strong yesterday in order of us to be Elmo ated
Toronto clinched a playoff spot yesterday.

How many of their starters will they rest?

Old
10-28-2012, 04:50 PM
MoneyGuy

I think there is no option but to start Nichols, but we don't know how he plays as a starter. Starting is very different than coming in as a reliever. Lets we hope we find out and that he's as good starting as he is as a reliever.

Last edited by MoneyGuy: 10-28-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Toronto clinched a playoff spot yesterday.

How many of their starters will they rest?
Yeah, the Riders really screwed us this year. Calgary as well. Not only with Calgary beating us all the time but the Stamps losing BOTH games this season to the lowly Argos.

Toronto has Won only 3 games against West clubs this year. 2 against the Stamps, and this week against a pathetic Riders performance.

Because Toronto's a lock now they'll take it easy against Hamilton with nothing on the line.

We have to beat the Stamps.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:53 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, the Riders really screwed us this year. Calgary as well. Not only with Calgary beating us all the time but the Stamps losing BOTH games this season to the lowly Argos.

Toronto has Won only 3 games against West clubs this year. 2 against the Stamps, and this week against a pathetic Riders performance.

Because Toronto's a lock now they'll take it easy against Hamilton with nothing on the line.

We have to beat the Stamps.
And something tells me the Stamps aren't going to do us any favours by resting their starters

Old
10-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

lol Eskimos.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Hell of a performance by Nichols. I wish he had more than 9 minutes to work with. If only Reed wasn't a total idiot.

Speaking of which , I just heard his radio interview, and without saying it, he's pretty much confirmed Joseph is starting next week. And with his impressive 16/43 for 262 yards with 1 TD(should have been an INT) and 2 INT in his last 7+ quarters, who could question it?

Nichols, over those two games, in under 1 full quarter of work has put up 13/20 for 303 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hell of a performance by Nichols. I wish he had more than 9 minutes to work with. If only Reed wasn't a total idiot.

Speaking of which , I just heard his radio interview, and without saying it, he's pretty much confirmed Joseph is starting next week. And with his impressive 16/43 for 262 yards with 1 TD(should have been an INT) and 2 INT in his last 7+ quarters, who could question it?

Nichols, over those two games, in under 1 full quarter of work has put up 13/20 for 303 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT.

I hope that Eskimos fans respond by staying away from Commonwealth next week. Kavis and Tillman define the term "egomaniac."

Old
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

Its really weird I agree. A head scratcher and especially because Joseph has been two banged up these past two games to even compete and really looking his age here. A healthy Joseph for instance gets outside and the first down on that gamble easily. He had limited ability today to evade pressure and buy time. Due to hand, wrist, and leg injuries he's also not feeling confident and not able to fire the ball with any kind of authority like he did in the two wins. He's done for now.

Gotta go with Nichols.

I state this last thing with misgivings because I think people will pick on it. But is it possible that right now its better for Nichols head, and composure, that he come in off the bullpen and be the closer rather than the starter. Would being the starter currently effect Nichols adversely?
This is the one benefit of doubt I'm giving. We just don't know the inside out and how guys are handling pressure. Not everybody is built the same. All the grumblings aside that Nichols should have started the game it is interesting that his best performance here has been in a relief effort, and not at all in a starting effort(yeah I know he deserves more starts and hasn't had many, just saying)

Old
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
blueandgoldguy

Hope you guys beat Calgary next week as I can't stand Hamilton and prefer to see them not make the playoffs. I could see Calgary playing their starters for a half and then resting them for the remainder of the game.

Hopefully Nicholls starts. He made a game of it in the last ten minutes.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I hope that Eskimos fans respond by staying away from Commonwealth next week. Kavis and Tillman define the term "egomaniac."
You know what, you're out of bounds here on your own standards.

You're the guy calling out attendance all year and in the playoffs last year and saying its deplorable that people don't come out to games.

Now you're saying for people to stay away?

I'll be there. Just for the excitement and supporting the club regardless. Promises to be great drama.

I think sometimes we need to take a step back and certainly me anyway.

I like that the club today rebounded and didn't just die in Montreal. The D NEVER gave up on this game despite being hopelessly depleted and on the offensive side of the ball we've been dealing without Bowman all year and now Charles and an injury impacted Oline.

But there was some valiant attempts from the football players on the field today from a team that could've layed down as this one appeared to be getting away. Be honest now, how many fans gave up on this game?

The players didn't. For that alone they deserve some support.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

A few odds and ends.

Non import Glenn MacKay looked good, real good, on a couple catches today. The sliding catch a pure vet move that we've seen precious little of this year. He's only had 2 starts with us this year but I think has earned another and was coming back well to the ball.

Henry is a real hot/cold reciever. Was awful until the 4th quarter and in last two games has flat out dropped 5 balls. A startling number considering the few times he's even a target for a pass. henry rebounded in the 4th in a big way but wheres his head at sometimes? The guy really has concentration issues out there. Two of the drops today were just incomprehensible.

Cary Koch, bad game, without his jumping offside we tie this game earlier, Montreal doesn't get their last TD, and we possibly win in regulation. ALL the momentum was with us. I can't stand plays like that. Koch and Coohoern were again quiet all day and we had very little activity on quick hitter patterns today. Joseph was often eating turf before a guy was even looking for the ball. WE can't half complete halfs where we're not having guys open.

Emry. I was prepared again to hate this guy after he punched an opponent in the jewels but gotta say 3 times he went up to Nichols and gave him support. From one competitor to another apparently. Emry showed me something different there and was really giving Nichols credit. Even on the interception he went up to the kid and gave him a hand up.

CFL Are they matchmaking Carly Ray Jepsen for Beiber? lol. I dunno, saw the pictures and I thought about it...

Old
10-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
CFL Are they matchmaking Carly Ray Jepsen for Beiber? lol. I dunno, saw the pictures and I thought about it...
They are touring together already and I believe she is signed to his label. I think it's a buy one get one free situation.

On a football related note: The Esks have now lost 5 games by less than two points. This team, troubles aside, could easily be on the other side of that equation.

Oh and on the quarterback situation, Jyles is still 5-4 as a starter. Joseph hasn't fared much better than him in my opinion. I'm excited to see Nichols bring this team to the Grey Cup, the ball has to be in his hands for the rest of the year.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Tyrolean

If the fans have their way both Joseph and Jyles have played their last games as an Eskimo.

If Reed goes with Joseph for the majority of the time against Calgary and loses he is toast as well.

Reed is not a good judge of the situation and a poor coach. He is a better motivator than a planner.

Having said this I can see his rationale. Nichols is still a relative rookie and starting is way different than coming off the bench with nothing to lose.

Problem is his starter can't complete a 5 yard pass and is showing his age.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Kyle McMahon

**** Kavis Reed. OK, the obvious has already been stated here, Joseph shouldn't have seen the field in the 2nd half.

But howabout the not as obvious: We gave up a safety and lost a game by 2 points. Of course, Montreal ended up with a TD anyway on that sequence, so a 9-point series for them.

Giving up safeties is so ****ing stupid. More proof here. Game lost because of it, and quite possibly a playoff spot. Reed should be getting taken to task over this moronic decision just as much as not throwing Nicholls in sooner. But somehow I doubt that will happen.

And if Kerry Joseph is anywhere near a football field next week...I just don't even have the words to describe what my reaction might be.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

There was also Joe Burnett not even attempting to run a missed field goal out of the end zone. Another dumb mistake by him IMO. He hasnt done jack on returns in forever. It has been 6 weeks since he even had a decent game on returns. Actually he hasnt done anything positive on returns all season looking at the stat sheets.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Yep, only Reed knows why Burnett is still returning kicks. We're risking one of our best defenders getting hurt in the first place, and you can't tell me there is nobody better than Burnett available. Any idiot can catch a ball and run forward, there's no way we could end up with worse results than what we presently have.

Closed Thread