HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Keep Burke or not if it was your choice?

View Poll Results: Ye or Na
Yes 155 71.43%
No 62 28.57%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I think Burke has certainly had his up's and down's, but he's done something that no other GM in the past 20 years has done. He's built a prospect system to the point where it's fairly dependable and we actually have reliable call-ups and young talent in the system.

Sure, his teams are no better than GMs like JFJ, but with the young assets we've added his passing grade is much higher than a GM like JFJ.

That all said, i think when Burke's days are done here Nonis will be his replacement, and personally i like Nonis better than Burke. However, I dont hate burke like a lot of guys/girls around here.
It's been speculated that after Burke's contract, he will remain as President but hand over the GM duties to Nonis

Old
10-28-2012, 04:44 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Because if any Canadian turns on the TV right now, the election is being covered on atleast 5 stations all day. It's hard to not have an opinion.
Exactly. Why? You think something a little more relevant would be on.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Because if we vote for the wrong guy, a bridge doesn't get built, and if you vote for the wrong guy he blows up the ****ing world
This actually made me lol

Old
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Is that a Canada joke?
No that's a "ZOMG IF YOU ELECT ROMNEY/OBAMA THE WORLD IS GOING TO ENDDDDD" joke

Old
10-28-2012, 04:46 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
In truth, a lot of our channels are broadcasting directly from the USA. In some cases you even see commercials for products and companies not available in Canada. I've never had Sonic but I've seen a ton of Sonic commercials.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:00 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
In truth, a lot of our channels are broadcasting directly from the USA. In some cases you even see commercials for products and companies not available in Canada. I've never had Sonic but I've seen a ton of Sonic commercials.
Well that's unfortunate because Sonic is fantastic

Old
10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yep, he has 2 more years on his contract, and if he continues to ice a lottery team he's failed.

Do you believe Burke is the only GM who has improved his team in the NHL?
Obviously not, but there are a few teams that have been kicking their tires for about the same time, seeming to go nowhere fast. Isles, Oilers, Bluejackets, Jets, Bolts, etc. Just how many #1 picks does a GM need before he feels confident to start making some moves? The lottery system is a sham.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
How is the US presidency not relevant to Canada?

Old
10-28-2012, 05:13 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
It's been speculated that after Burke's contract, he will remain as President but hand over the GM duties to Nonis
Assuming that's true I wonder if that's the reason Nonis didn't interview for the GM job in Minnesota.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
rumman

so, basically no where to go but up........time well spent Burkie

Old
10-28-2012, 05:16 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Assuming that's true I wonder if that's the reason Nonis didn't interview for the GM job in Minnesota.
Because Nonnis has no out in his contract with the Leafs

Old
10-28-2012, 05:18 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
No I'm saying that every JFJ team was better than every BURKE team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Copper & Blue
John Ferguson Jr. didn't make a single move as effective as Cliff Fletcher's acquisition of Mikhail Grabovski from the Montreal Canadiens for Greg Pateryn and a 2nd-round pick. Not. Even. Close. John Ferguson Jr. acquired Andrew Raycroft for Tuukka Rask. John Ferguson Jr. acquired Vesa Toskala for three draft picks, including the 13th overall pick in the 2007 draft.
Source

Not even being able to top Grabovski's acquisition over the span of 5 years is pretty sad. The amount of damage JFJ did to the club is utterly ridiculous, and here people are whining about the Kessel trade still, and a few stopgap signings.

Makes you wonder what Burke could have done arriving to a team with Mogilny, Sundin, Nolan, Kaberle, Tucker, Gilmour, Domi, McCabe, Belfour, etc. Take them from a 7th place team to a 24th place team in a span of 5 seasons? I think not. The ONLY reason your statement may be true (looking at it with blinders on) is because JFJ wasn't given another season to mess things up further.

Last edited by 4evaBlue: 10-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
You know... after a few of these threads, you start noticing a pattern. The voting in the poll is always a landslide in favor of Burke, yet the posts seem as if it's a 50/50 split. You begin to notice that it's the same few people arguing against him every single time. The people making pro Burke remarks and the level of detail they go into is the only real difference.

In my opinion, I think the general feeling in Leafs Nation is that while people had hoped for quicker results, they realize that things are moving ahead in the right direction.
what direction? we could easily be last in the East the way this team is at the moment.

no center, no leadership, no goaltending, no top 6 forwards, no PK, and no defense.

we're getting worse and most GM's lose their job in this circumstance.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:43 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Source

Not even being able to top Grabovski's acquisition over the span of 5 years is pretty sad. The amount of damage JFJ did to the club is utterly ridiculous, and here people are whining about the Kessel trade still, and a few stopgap signings.

Makes you wonder what Burke could have done arriving to a team with Mogilny, Sundin, Nolan, Kaberle, Tucker, Gilmour, Domi, McCabe, Belfour, etc. Take them from a 7th place team to a 24th place team in a span of 5 seasons? I think not. The ONLY reason your statement may be true (looking at it with blinders on) is because JFJ wasn't given another season to mess things up further.
I will say this once again. For as long as Leaf fans want to continually judge the job Brian Burke is doing with the Job JFJ did - its a fairly easy fight to win. And I can name you 29 other current NHL GM's who would also win in a comparison with JFJ. Its not a HIGH WATER MARK for success in an Organization.

For example: CANADA HAS A BETTER HEALTHCARE SYSTEM THAN SOMALIA DOES!

If the Goal was to WIN NOW ASAP as Ownership/Burke are on the record as saying:
Then 7th,2nd,9th,5th LAST OVERALL is a supreme failure.

If Rebuilding and acquiring ELITE TALENT was the plan:
Look no further than our MEDIOCRE PROSPECT POOL - and The Phil Kessel trade as examples of Collassial Failures.

In a court of law he would be found CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT over the mis-handling of this organization.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:06 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
I will say this once again. For as long as Leaf fans want to continually judge the job Brian Burke is doing with the Job JFJ did - its a fairly easy fight to win. And I can name you 29 other current NHL GM's who would also win in a comparison with JFJ. Its not a HIGH WATER MARK for success in an Organization.

For example: CANADA HAS A BETTER HEALTHCARE SYSTEM THAN SOMALIA DOES!

If the Goal was to WIN NOW ASAP as Ownership/Burke are on the record as saying:
Then 7th,2nd,9th,5th LAST OVERALL is a supreme failure.

If Rebuilding and acquiring ELITE TALENT was the plan:
Look no further than our MEDIOCRE PROSPECT POOL - and The Phil Kessel trade as examples of Collassial Failures.

In a court of law he would be found CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT over the mis-handling of this organization.
It's actually quite sad the number of posters who have to bring up JFJ to defend Burkes tenure here .

Old
10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Absolutely he stays.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:33 PM
theTTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Another useless post coming from the spin doctor himself. You have tried lying and BS'ing at every turn. When you try to present "facts" the way you see them, there are a bunch of us who prove you wrong step of the way.

You tried to say that this team and the 08 team were almost the same age....we proved that there is at least 3 years apart.
You tried to tell us that the 08 team scored more goals and we again, proved you wrong.
You tried to say that the 08 team had more wins when infact they had one less.
You tried on 2 occassions to say Burke was the highest paid manager in all the world in the history of the world when in fact there are 30 more highly played managers.

Your posts are viewed for what they are.....flat out garbage.

You do not know a thing about hockey. If anyone disagrees with your opinion you accuse them on spinning EVERY time, and thats because you have no base to any of your arguments. You are too easy to prove wrong on every subject. You just make stuff up.

You have been proven wrong on every turn. Just give it up. We know you.
No, DO does not make things up. He is acting on fact: Leafs 1) have been an abject failure for the past 4 years and 2) have a bleak future for the next few years according to pundits who are paid good salary to use their analysis expertise and then pronounce these findings in the media.

Yeah, the truth hurts. So I understand your lashing out at DO for smacking your beliefs around with his bag of facts.

Still, how does someone "give it up" when all they are doing is using statistics to show why they are adopting the position that Brian has not done the job?

Old
10-28-2012, 06:41 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
It's actually quite sad the number of posters who have to bring up JFJ to defend Burkes tenure here .
Seems JFJ is usually brought up by the whine and cheese club.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
what direction? we could easily be last in the East the way this team is at the moment.

no center, no leadership, no goaltending, no top 6 forwards, no PK, and no defense.

No Defense??? Rielly will be with us next season, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Liles, Gunner, Holzer, heck even Komi could improve under Carlyle.

No Top 6 forwards? Well Kessel says hi, so does Lupul, Grabo, MacArthur, JVR. Heck Kulemin can play top 6 as well.

No Center? No #1 Center sure, but 2, 3, and 4 is settled pretty good.

PK has struggled, but that's mainly coaching and strategy. We have to see what Carlyle can do.

Leadership is meh. Liles is a good mentor, same as Lupul. Everyone bashes Phaneuf for rumors of what happened in Calgary, 4 years ago, makes no sense. Players have said he's a good leader. Grabo leads by example through heart.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Seems JFJ is usually brought up by the whine and cheese club.
Is it not the same as people who bring up rumors of what happened in Calgary, say they are fact, just to bash Dion?

You can't ignore how bad this team was when JFJ got canned. Just like people don't want to ignore rumors

Old
10-28-2012, 07:04 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post

No top six forwards huh ? You have 100% proven you do not know what you are talking about and are just a hater.

There are a few things people can rationally complain about with Burke, the poor free agent signings mostly (Komi/Armstrong/Connolly), and they were generally unlucky . Other than that all you have is the Kessel trade which is still not a proven loss and we have the best player from the deal. His trading has been excellent and it is still too early to say about his drafting .

The real problem is peoples expectations here are generally unreasonable. These are people that more or less nothing would make happy and they just troll here to bring the rest of us down.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:11 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post

Nonis is paid substantially more then most (all?) asst. GMs in the league. In fact it wouldnt shock me if he was paid more then some GMs.

For this reason he does not have an out clause for other jobs.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
hahahaha

it is true though leaf fans. you should expect so much more.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:41 PM
DaveT83*

These polls can be misleading - I know there are a handful of guys who have multiple accounts. They usually post a thread then spend all day logging in and out supporting their own arguments.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:46 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Nonis is paid substantially more then most (all?) asst. GMs in the league. In fact it wouldnt shock me if he was paid more then some GMs.

For this reason he does not have an out clause for other jobs.
I honestly didn't know that Nonis didn't have an out clause for other jobs and I agree that he could be making more then some GM's.

Closed Thread