Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Old
10-28-2012, 01:37 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Well thats what happens to hockey too. Only the NFL and the NBA seem to attract everyone. Last years NHL playoffs was a prime example. That was some of the most boring **** ever and thankfully shut it off.
Were you living in a cave?

Last year's playoffs were awesome. Tons of OT games.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:49 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
MLB is nothing but 10 "big league" teams and a bunch of AAA teams in the same league. The Yanks have the greatest unfair advantage in sports.
lol.

So who are the big league teams and who aren't? I'd love to hear this.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:06 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

You just don't understand the sport. Whatever.

I thought last night was a great game. But I understand that a 2-0 baseball game is usually better than a 9-8 one. Seeing Vogelsong get out of that 5th...so that was just nothing to you?
I thought it was great too. Thoroughly enjoyable.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
The same could be said for the NBA, around 10 teams have ever won. You know going into season 4/5 teams are true contenders. Big teams/markets get all the good players. Look at Dwight wanting out of orlando (wanted to be a star), or the Harden trade yesterday (small team didn't want to pay him max). The NBA has the largest concentration of stars in big markets vs other sports.

NBA is doing jut fine with ratings though, because its actually entertaining. Over past few years despite the Toronto team being terrible I watch more NBA than ever before because the product is great. Baseball is just dull, no reason to watch teams that don't entertain you if you are not a fan of that market.
There would have also been an eventual heavy tax most likely if OKC had kept Harden and payed him max.

I disagree with baseball being dull. I'm a Jays fan, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the World Series so far. Games 2 and 3 were close and kept me interested. Far from dull.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:16 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
MLB is nothing but 10 "big league" teams and a bunch of AAA teams in the same league. The Yanks have the greatest unfair advantage in sports.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

sipowicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
No, not really. What you're describing is Basketball.

The Oakland A's and the Orioles prove well that what you're saying is very wrong.

I dont remember the exact numbers, but the order from most to least parity in the big 4 was:

NHL>>>>NFL>>>>MLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>NBA
NBA fixes series to insure it's big market team or star players play for titles. MLB is a slave to the union. I wondered why the Washington Nationals wanted to save Strausburg's arm since he's going to be a Yankee in 3 years anyways.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
20 of 30 teams have made the playoffs in MLB the last 5 years. Only the Royals, Indians (made it in 2007) White Sox (won the World Series in 2005), Blue Jays and Mariners haven't in the AL and only the Mets (made it in 2006), Marlins (won the World Series in 2003), Pirates, Astros (made the World Series in 2005) and Padres haven't made it in the NL.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
No, not really. What you're describing is Basketball.

The Oakland A's and the Orioles prove well that what you're saying is very wrong.

I dont remember the exact numbers, but the order from most to least parity in the big 4 was:

NHL>>>>NFL>>>>MLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>NBA
I agree the NBA is worse, but that's moreso due to stars always wanting to join the same team together. In NBA so many stars keep leaving their team to make these all-star teams(Cleveland, Orlando, and even Toronto suffered greatly from their main stars leaving for single teams.)

NBA is so star dependant that those teams collapse right away when they leave.

MLB though is a joke in different ways. No Cap, yet so few playoff spots, so the Yanks will make it almost every year(not necessarily win, but will consistently make it). and so many teams may get lucky one year but then wont touch the post-season for 5+ years(toronto is going on 20 years now.). It's just boring.

I'm surprised the MLB hasn't added another round of playoffs yet like other sports, it would help alot more if 4-6 more teams could make the post-season instead of being out at game 100 of 162.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:06 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
20 of 30 teams have made the playoffs in MLB the last 5 years. Only the Royals, Indians (made it in 2007) White Sox (won the World Series in 2005), Blue Jays and Mariners haven't in the AL and only the Mets (made it in 2006), Marlins (won the World Series in 2003), Pirates, Astros (made the World Series in 2005) and Padres haven't made it in the NL.
That's fine but how many have made it more than once or twice in the past 10 years? Not that many really. I'm looking at the stats and almost all the low-end pay teams have 2-3 appearances max since 1995. 2-3 years out of 17.

And rarely does the team get good and stay good, most of the low-end teams make it once, then go a few years before making it again.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:30 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
NBA fixes series to insure it's big market team or star players play for titles. MLB is a slave to the union. I wondered why the Washington Nationals wanted to save Strausburg's arm since he's going to be a Yankee in 3 years anyways.
You think the Nationals are just going to trade him away to the Yankees? If you're thinking free agent, he's not free agent eligible until 2017.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
That's fine but how many have made it more than once or twice in the past 10 years? Not that many really. I'm looking at the stats and almost all the low-end pay teams have 2-3 appearances max since 1995. 2-3 years out of 17.

And rarely does the team get good and stay good, most of the low-end teams make it once, then go a few years before making it again.
I'd rather that than the NBA. The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers have combined for 33 of 66 total Championships in the leagues history. 20 of 30 teams making the playoffs in the last five years? That means to me two thirds of the league in the last five seasons have had a legitimate shot at winning the championship. I don't mind that as a baseball fan.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:35 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I remember when the Sens and the Ducks were in the finals, and it was similarly talked about: two low revenue market teams in the finals, ratings down, every one complaining about the revenue and ratings drop for the league. Fans worried about the state of the game.

But for the fans of those teams, that was a great time for us. The excitement level was through the roof. The city, at least in Ottawa was going wild and the Ducks fans were having as much fun, Snoop at the games.

But overall, for the league, interest was down, revenues were down. Like this World Series? We had a problem all other teams fans agreed. The owners, and we as fans, needed to join to find a way to fix it. Obviously salaries needed to be lowered. And thanks to that, we are now getting those revenue losing small markets out of the playoffs it seems.

But is this, as fans, how we are going to define league success? Our happiness quotient is directly correlated with their revenue growth? As when we reward politicians for improving GDP instead of our happiness as we would define it outside of wall street.

So what if the world series ratings are down. Are their fans of the teams in it happiness with the event down? Isnt that the more important measure? Of course this is a business board and its interesting business wise i guess. Interesting, but not sympathy generating.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Chiuozu*

A Salary cap in baseball would help, imo.

I have no interest in watching simply because you can have a great player on your team, but the moment he becomes a Free-Agent (Or even before) he's going to end up a Yankee or a Red Sox etc.

What's the point of even watching?

The Blue Jays haven't even sniffed the playoffs in what? 15+ years? I'd watch if they had a chance to compete, but that chance simply doesn't exist.

When you have payrolls that go from 50 million, to almost 200 million, you have a problem.

That said, I'd say out of the 'Big 4' baseball is second on my list after Hockey. Basketball or Football don't even enter into the equation for me. I have zero interest in watching either game.

Chiuozu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Toronto has a chance to compete in the same way Tampa Bay has a chance to compete and Tampa Bay has made the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I love baseball as much or more then hockey, and even I cant get into this world series

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Elever
Hth

I feel that in the US, basketball and soccer stole much of baseball's younger fans.

Now the disappointing thing about that is how badly the NHL failed to steal them and the disparity of revenues between NBA/NHL is so high, NHL really messed up in the 90s with a badly executed expansion strategy and a poor on-ice product towards the end of that decade and early 00's.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Crease

Quote:
Toronto has a chance to compete in the same way Tampa Bay has a chance to compete and Tampa Bay has made the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years.
This is true. I think a valid criticism of the league's competitive balance is that teams like the Rays and Blue Jays have to be run almost perfectly in order for them to outperform teams like the Yankees and Red Sox who can afford to have 3-4 horrible contracts and still field a competitive team.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

A salary cap wouldn't help at all.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiuozu View Post
A Salary cap in baseball would help, imo.

I have no interest in watching simply because you can have a great player on your team, but the moment he becomes a Free-Agent (Or even before) he's going to end up a Yankee or a Red Sox etc.

What's the point of even watching?

The Blue Jays haven't even sniffed the playoffs in what? 15+ years? I'd watch if they had a chance to compete, but that chance simply doesn't exist.

When you have payrolls that go from 50 million, to almost 200 million, you have a problem.

That said, I'd say out of the 'Big 4' baseball is second on my list after Hockey. Basketball or Football don't even enter into the equation for me. I have zero interest in watching either game.
Prince Fielder became a free agent and ended up in Detroit.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
^
White Sox won AL Central in 2008

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Prince Fielder became a free agent and ended up in Detroit.
I'm sure his dad having played there and the giant check the owner threw at him a la the Yankees had something to do with it.

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
I'm sure his dad having played there and the giant check the owner threw at him a la the Yankees had something to do with it.
Doesn't he hate his dad?

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

This years WS has been awful.

And no, I'm not just saying this because the Cardinals were eliminated by the Giants, its just been super boring.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Again, it's boring since the Giants have dominated it and the Tigers have scored like 1 run through 3 games while being manhandled

I saw Game 1 on TV, then listened on radio for GAme 2 and 3. Watching Game 4 now while radio is on simultaneously

Old
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Mallard View Post
so it's the yankees fault?

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote