HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 02:25 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
If Nuge really wants to play he should just tell the oilers. Doubt they don't give him pretty much anything he wants
In a way I kind of agree with this. The chances of him getting injured are slim to none, and I doubt a player of his caliber will lose chemistry with his teammates back in OKC. And if he really wants to they should give him the opportunity.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:08 AM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

I think Rielly is going to be a go-to defenseman on this team, people really don't realize how talented he is... But I'll lower my expectations for now:

Strome - Huberdeau - Rattie
Puempel - Scheifele - MacKinnon
Drouin/Shinkaruk - Monahan - DiGiuseppe
McNeill - Jenner - Wilson

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Ouellet - Dumba
-Murphy/Reinhart

Subban
Brossoit

Old
10-28-2012, 03:32 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

just for fun, what about sending a young team...

Shinkaruk - Monahan - MacKinnon
Drouin - Lazar - Duclair
Rychel - Reinhart - Domi
Carrier - McDavid - Virtanen

Ekblad - Pulock
Morrissey - Roy
Nurse - Theodore

any chance of gold?

Old
10-28-2012, 04:07 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Forget about Nick Cousins. He was charged with sexual assault in August and has a November 5 court hearing.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:41 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Havent seen any games of the 2 this year but I would lean towards Ceci getting that spot over Percy, Cecis seems to be producing very well and he also got an invite this summer
People seem to forget Ceci was battling Mono during the last tourney which probably didnt help his proformance ,he is just as good as most on that list he will make the team

Old
10-28-2012, 08:51 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I can't believe somebody would even write that, holy smokes! Well, if that's the case we may as well leave Crosby off the Olympic team, for fear he might dominate. Malkin can stay home as well, I'm sure the Russians are worried he might dominate.. Hell, Yakupov shouldn't play as well this year, he just might dominate the tournament...
He has played in the NHL and now he is in the AHL during the lockout. They will probably make him ineligible.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:53 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I dont understand this last part here.
He is already an NHL player. I doubt hockey canada lets him play in the tournament. I meant to say but he would dominate if he played.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
He is already an NHL player. I doubt hockey canada lets him play in the tournament. I meant to say but he would dominate if he played.
Hockey Canada takes all kinds of NHL players if they are released, hell, Devante Smith-Pelly was an NHLer last year, HC asked Anaheim to release him for the World Juniors, and Anaheim obliged. The fact that he's played a year in the NHL means nothing, it shouldn't mean anything. He's 19 years old competing in a tournament for players under the age of 20.

And what do you mean by dominate? 4 pts per game average, 6 pts per game average? He'll no more dominate than any other 19 year old in the past dominated... He'll play 6 games and get anywhere from 12-20 pts just like all other elite level 19 year old players in the history of this tournament. RNH is good, very good, very gifted... but I think there are some who way over-estimate his skill.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Hockey Canada takes all kinds of NHL players if they are released, hell, Devante Smith-Pelly was an NHLer last year, HC asked Anaheim to release him for the World Juniors, and Anaheim obliged. The fact that he's played a year in the NHL means nothing, it shouldn't mean anything. He's 19 years old competing in a tournament for players under the age of 20.

And what do you mean by dominate? 4 pts per game average, 6 pts per game average? He'll no more dominate than any other 19 year old in the past dominated... He'll play 6 games and get anywhere from 12-20 pts just like all other elite level 19 year old players in the history of this tournament. RNH is good, very good, very gifted... but I think there are some who way over-estimate his skill.
Yup, ask Brett Bulmer

Old
10-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeCheeseAllDay View Post
I think Rielly is going to be a go-to defenseman on this team, people really don't realize how talented he is... But I'll lower my expectations for now:

Strome - Huberdeau - Rattie
Puempel - Scheifele - MacKinnon
Drouin/Shinkaruk - Monahan - DiGiuseppe
McNeill - Jenner - Wilson

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Ouellet - Dumba
-Murphy/Reinhart

Subban
Brossoit
Since Spott is the coach it's almost a forgone conclussion that Murphy will be Team Canada's go-to-defensemen.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
lanky

I'm hoping Adam Lowry can make a strong case to get on this team. He's had a great start to the season and has earned a start in both of the WHL - Russia games. He'd be a punishing force on the LW. I only wonder if he'd be less effective on the big ice.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Quote:
You do know that the team is trying to win and not just be polite to the other teams right?

Old
10-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
just for fun, what about sending a young team...

Shinkaruk - Monahan - MacKinnon
Drouin - Lazar - Duclair
Rychel - Reinhart - Domi
Carrier - McDavid - Virtanen

Ekblad - Pulock
Morrissey - Roy
Nurse - Theodore

any chance of gold?
A 19 year old late 1st rounder is usually a better player than an undrafted top 10 pick. We have a hard enough time building favoured rosters at the WJC already.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:32 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
You do know that the team is trying to win and not just be polite to the other teams right?
Lol this. Hockey Canada will do everything it possibly can to get Nugent-Hopkins on the team.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Hoping that Frankie Corrado might get an invite to camp for a look as an extra d-man. He has 14 assists in 14 games in the OHL, fifth for all positions.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:06 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Seriously? I thought it was for fun.

I know he can play but look at the lineup I put together. Even without RNH, they have a dominant team.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:08 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:

I just thought they wouldnt, my mistake They are good enough without making a CHLer lose a spot for a full time NHLer.

If he plays with Huberdeau, Strome, MacKinnon or Rattie, he can easily get at least 2-3 points per game. Probably more.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I just thought they wouldnt, my mistake They are good enough without making a CHLer lose a spot for a full time NHLer.

If he plays with Huberdeau, Strome, MacKinnon or Rattie, he can easily get at least 2-3 points per game. Probably more.

Again, I think you are over-estimating his skill level....

And I don't see this team as dominate as you may think.

And given Hockey Canada's track record, I'm not even sure they take Mackinnon. They love to cut 17 year old undrafted number 1 rated prospects. They make a hobby of it. Just like Ryan Nugent Hopkins was cut when he was 17 and the number 1 rated prospect. Just like they cut Tyler Seguin etc.

If they do not invite RNH to camp, it's not because HC thinks why bother an NHLer with a junior tournament, it will be for other reasons... as I suggested before, HC too cheap to pay for insurance.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Since Spott is the coach it's almost a forgone conclussion that Murphy will be Team Canada's go-to-defensemen.
No he wont be. He'll be the number 1 pp guy and probably play almost every PP, but he has a lot of turnovers and is weak in his zone. If hes the go to guy Candas in trouble

Old
10-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
No he wont be. He'll be the number 1 pp guy and probably play almost every PP, but he has a lot of turnovers and is weak in his zone. If hes the go to guy Candas in trouble
No Spott is definitely going to be playing Murphy in all situations, you're out to lunch if you think he'll only be playing PP. Spott puts Murphy up against the best players in the OHL and he's going to do it at the Subway Series too. He's not going to suddenly change his opinion to that of the armchair scouts on this board.

Out of the defensemen who will play for Canada, Spott by far knows Murphy best and whether you agree with it or not, coaches role with the guys they're most familiar with. They don't mitigate their impact to appese people on the internet.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
[/B]

Again, I think you are over-estimating his skill level....

And I don't see this team as dominate as you may think.

And given Hockey Canada's track record, I'm not even sure they take Mackinnon. They love to cut 17 year old undrafted number 1 rated prospects. They make a hobby of it. Just like Ryan Nugent Hopkins was cut when he was 17 and the number 1 rated prospect. Just like they cut Tyler Seguin etc.

If they do not invite RNH to camp, it's not because HC thinks why bother an NHLer with a junior tournament, it will be for other reasons... as I suggested before, HC too cheap to pay for insurance.
You seem to be forgetting something. RNH wasnt the #1 rated prospect until later in his draft year. At christmas it was between Larsson and Couturier, the latter made the team. Same with Seguin, hall was the #1 pick, who made the team. Id bet the farm that MacKinnon's on this team in a top 6 role.

My guess.

Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Drouin-MacKinnon-Strome
Puempel - Scheifele- DiGiuseppe
Danault - Jenner - Wilson
Monahan

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly-Harrington
Oulett-Reinhart
Ceci-Dumba

Subban
Brossoit

Taking 3 undrafted players is risky. but these are unreal players.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
RJQuack

Huberdeau - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Drouin (one can dream, no?) - MacKinnon- Strome
Puempel - Scheifele - Monahan
Danault - Jenner -McNeill
Wilson/Griffith//Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Ouellet - Murphy
Reinhart/Dumba/

Subban
Marcoux

I don't know how Scheifele has done in faceoffs and defensive work, but MacKinnons faceoffs have improved and his defensive awareness as well.... Thus putting him as center on this team.

I think Monhan could make it as a 13th forward but will emerge as a regular on this team.

Last edited by RJQuack: 10-29-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
You seem to be forgetting something. RNH wasnt the #1 rated prospect until later in his draft year. At christmas it was between Larsson and Couturier, the latter made the team. Same with Seguin, hall was the #1 pick, who made the team. Id bet the farm that MacKinnon's on this team in a top 6 role.
Larsson and Landeskog, Couturier had fell out of first overall by then (Still considered by many to still be a top 3 lock though). Was considered a 3 way race between Larsson, Landeskog and RNH, with Landeskog and Larsson being neck and neck and RNH the "distant" third. By January Landeskog had "pulled ahead". But I guess your point sitll stands.

Don't be too shocked if MacKinnon doesn't have a frontline role on the, Bob MacKenzie speculated earlier this year that most of Canada's top 6 is predetermined and there's no way MacKinnon plays a bottom six role so he's got a lot of competition for the last top 6 spot and it's entirely possible he's only the 13th forward.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:40 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Larsson and Landeskog, Couturier had fell out of first overall by then (Still considered by many to still be a top 3 lock though). Was considered a 3 way race between Larsson, Landeskog and RNH, with Landeskog and Larsson being neck and neck and RNH the "distant" third. By January Landeskog had "pulled ahead". But I guess your point sitll stands.

Don't be too shocked if MacKinnon doesn't have a frontline role on the, Bob MacKenzie speculated earlier this year that most of Canada's top 6 is predetermined and there's no way MacKinnon plays a bottom six role so he's got a lot of competition for the last top 6 spot and it's entirely possible he's only the 13th forward.
To be fair though, there are guys currently pencilled in to the top 6 who can play a bottom 6 role. If Mackinnon, Drouin etc were to impress at camp, a guy like Schiefele, who showed an edge in the Russia series could easily find himself centring a hypothetical 3rd line

And I would take a guy like Drouin any day of the week over Hunter Shinkaruk

Old
10-28-2012, 05:24 PM
newfy

Quote:
No Spott is definitely going to be playing Murphy in all situations, you're out to lunch if you think he'll only be playing PP. Spott puts Murphy up against the best players in the OHL and he's going to do it at the Subway Series too. He's not going to suddenly change his opinion to that of the armchair scouts on this board.

Out of the defensemen who will play for Canada, Spott by far knows Murphy best and whether you agree with it or not, coaches role with the guys they're most familiar with. They don't mitigate their impact to appese people on the internet.
He will not play short handed thats for sure. He'll probably get some solid even strength time and play a tonne on the PP. He didnt get played in all situations in the Canada Russia series this summer and hes a turnover machine.

With a 1 goal lead in the final minute of play if Spott roles with the guys he familiar with, Canada will be going home without a gold just like the last few years and Spott wont be coaching again.

Ryan Ellis hardly played even in his fourth year except in more offensive roles, I think itll be the same for Murphy

Closed Thread