HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov signs for Vityaz Chekhov (KHL)

Old
10-28-2012, 06:13 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Oh, this keeps getting better and better....Are you guys serious ? You are saying that Markov doesn't know how to take a hit...un friggin real.
Yes Markov's injuries are mostly due to his inability to properly position himself when receiving a hit. Just look at how he turns on each of the hits that have resulted in injuries. That is NOT how you're supposed to take a hit. Perhaps he's doing so because he's fearful of being reinjured but by doing so he's increasing the probability of injury. Ask anyone who's played hockey at an elite level, you cannot react like he does to a hit.

Last edited by The Gal Pals: 10-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.
The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:19 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Do you think he set out trying to miss most of the last 2 years? Sounds like a true couch potato quote. "...athlete X is just happy being home collecting a paycheque with his bum knee..."

I'm pretty sure that being out hurts markov more than it hurts the team, the Gm, the players or the fans...the guy is one of the top 1% of pro hockey players but he spent 23 prime years on the sidelines, that's something no amount of money can replace.
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You folks that claim him to be uno, numero one without little activity are just as bad. Nowhere in any "markov" thread have I claimed he's just happy getting a paycheck. Nowhere!

Get this..........I choose not to put him on a pedestal like some of you folks. I swear -it's laughable. Some of you act like he's singledhandedly guided the Canadiens to ten Stanley Cups. He's done virtually zilch in that department.

And top 1 % of what?

LISTEN: I posted this before - when Markov leads the Habs to higher standards and further than the 2009 - 2010 team I'll throw accolades. Is this team just so bad that all of the hopes are pinned on one injury prone d-man?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Yes Markov's injuries are mostly due to his inability to properly position himself when receiving a hit. Just look at how he turns on each of the hits that have resulted in injuries. That is NOT how you're supposed to take a hit. Perhaps he's doing because he's fearful of being reinjured but by doing so he's increasing the probability of injury. Ask anyone who's played hockey at an elite level, you cannot react like he does to a hit.
Sshhhhhhhhh! That opinion not wanted. In fact any negativity about Markov is strictly forbidden no matter how much truth it carries.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I think what people are really mad about is the fact that Markov and his agent (Meehan) misrepresented the extent of his injury when he resigned for 3 years. Personally I blame PG for resigning him at that term and price when Markov should have been signed for 1-2 yrs max to prove he was ready.
This is possibly the worst excuse to hate yet; you do know Markov was monitored by Habs doctors during his entire ACL issue, right? How could Markov have possibly downplayed a structural injury, did he doctor his own xrays or something?

And Markov had no reason to take a 1 year deal, the organization could afford more and it's had very little effect on the club's cap space so far.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You folks that claim him to be uno, numero one without little activity are just as bad. Nowhere in any "markov" thread have I claimed he's just happy getting a paycheck. Nowhere!

Get this..........I choose not to put him on a pedestal like some of you folks. I swear -it's laughable. Some of you act like he's singledhandedly guided the Canadiens to ten Stanley Cups. He's done virtually zilch in that department.

And top 1 % of what?

LISTEN: I posted this before - when Markov leads the Habs to higher standards and further than the 2009 - 2010 team I'll throw accolades. Is this team just so bad that all of the hopes are pinned on one injury prone d-man?
Why exactly does he have to lead this team to the SCF before you throw in accolades?? Is that the standard you hold for every player?

Markov was a great defenseman. Is he still? That's unsure. Case closed.

Quote:
Sshhhhhhhhh! That opinion not wanted. In fact any negativity about Markov is strictly forbidden no matter how much truth it carries.
That has nothing to do with it. You can say that you think Markov is now fragile. You can say that you don't think he can come back to what he was. Those things are debatable.
Saying he can't take a hit is just retarded. 10 years in the NHL and now he can't take a hit? He wasn't getting hit earlier in his career? They are accidents, they happen, trying to find a reasoning for them will make people come up with a bunch of ridiculous ideas.
Not to mention his first injury was an achille tear, he got sliced. The other two were accidents that often occur in the NHL. It has nothing to do with how he absorbs a hit.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This is possibly the worst excuse to hate yet; you do know Markov was monitored by Habs doctors during his entire ACL issue, right? How could Markov have possibly downplayed a structural injury, did he doctor his own xrays or something?

And Markov had no reason to take a 1 year deal, the organization could afford more and it's had very little effect on the club's cap space so far.
So you are saying in the history of any sport that an athlete downplaying an injury for whatever motives has just never happened?

Old
10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why exactly does he have to lead this team to the SCF before you throw in accolades?? Is that the standard you hold for every player?

Markov was a great defenseman. Is he still? That's unsure. Case closed.

That has nothing to do with it. You can say that you think Markov is now fragile. You can say that you don't think he can come back to what he was. Those things are debatable.
Saying he can't take a hit is just retarded. 10 years in the NHL and now he can't take a hit? He wasn't getting hit earlier in his career? They are accidents, they happen, trying to find a reasoning for them will make people come up with a bunch of ridiculous ideas.
Not to mention his first injury was an achille tear, he got sliced. The other two were accidents that often occur in the NHL. It has nothing to do with how he absorbs a hit.
I doubt Markov was on the "hit" list early in his career. It's possible he flew under the radar but as time moved on and he proved his importance he did become a defenseless target. Show me another d-man who has suffered numerous injuries like Markov? Deny me that sometimes when he's been hit it's looked like he was shot by a cannon?

Edited to add............um, yea being an impact in a Stanley playoff run would sure help. Isn't that the idea?

Old
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Et le But

Quote:
So you are saying in the history of any sport that an athlete downplaying an injury for whatever motives has just never happened?
No, but there's a huge difference between trying to lie about a sprain or a concussion and faking structural damage like you guys are accusing Markov of.

If Markov tried to hide the injury it would be one thing, but we all knew Markov tore his ACL, at the time he was extended he was under medical supervision. At the time he still had to get medical approval to play hockey. What, do you think Markov or his agent paid off the Habs medical staff to downplay his injury? We are talking a common sports injury and an internal one, the only way Markov could possibly downplay that is by doctoring his own MRIs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:59 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
No, but there's a huge difference between trying to lie about a sprain or a concussion and faking structural damage like you guys are accusing Markov of.

If Markov tried to hide the injury it would be one thing, but we all knew Markov tore his ACL, at the time he was extended he was under medical supervision. At the time he still had to get medical approval to play hockey. What, do you think Markov or his agent paid off the Habs medical staff to downplay his injury? We are talking a common sports injury and an internal one, the only way Markov could possibly downplay that is by doctoring his own MRIs.
LOL

Nobody ever said he faked structural damage. But I remember some speculation by his own fans that he came back too early from the first ACL surgery. You can't have it both ways.

In no way am accusing Markov of faking structural damage. No way.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Yes Markov's injuries are mostly due to his inability to properly position himself when receiving a hit. Just look at how he turns on each of the hits that have resulted in injuries. That is NOT how you're supposed to take a hit. Perhaps he's doing so because he's fearful of being reinjured but by doing so he's increasing the probability of injury. Ask anyone who's played hockey at an elite level, you cannot react like he does to a hit.
As a Markov fan and defender, I would agree with this. Markov doesn't know how to take a hit properly. The Grabovski hit and the Staal hit are both evidence of this. Or, he's afraid to take a hit properly due to the possibility of reinjuring himself and in the process...reinjures himself.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'm not sure how someone can be so hateful towards one of our best players over the past 10+ years just because his career has had a terrible string of bad luck. Makes no sense to me how people can hate HIM for his injuries. Even Bruins fans aren't low enough to hate Marc Savard for his concussions.
This speaks more of the team's inability to draft, develop or acquire top end talent more than to Markov's level of play, in my humble opinion. Another proof of that was the God-like status many Habs' fans were giving to Alex Kovalev.

Markov has been a very good player for a while in Montreal. At his peak (3-4 years max), he was borderline elite, I'll give him that. I've always loved his vision on the ice and he was an excellent passer, especially on the PP. But since his injuries, he never could regain his old form and I'm personally very concerned that he may never will. I was shocked when Gauthier announced the 3 year deal, which I felt was too long for too much of a risk.

I know that saying that will be mistaken as "hate" towards Markov. I prefer calling it it "reality" or "taking the rose coloured glasses off".

Having said all of that, I'm genuinely hoping that he returns to the Habs in his old form as they will desperately need him to do so.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:58 PM
MarkyMarkov

Quote:
LOL

Nobody ever said he faked structural damage. But I remember some speculation by his own fans that he came back too early from the first ACL surgery. You can't have it both ways.

It was said that Markov and Meehan misled the Habs in signing their contract which is impossible because no one knew more about the nature of his injury than the Habs medical staff. An ACL injury isn't like a concussion where the player can lie about the severity. The same can be said about your claim that he came back too early. If that is the case then the only people to blame are the Habs medical staff. It is their job to give him the green light.

MarkyMarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I doubt Markov was on the "hit" list early in his career. It's possible he flew under the radar but as time moved on and he proved his importance he did become a defenseless target. Show me another d-man who has suffered numerous injuries like Markov? Deny me that sometimes when he's been hit it's looked like he was shot by a cannon?

Edited to add............um, yea being an impact in a Stanley playoff run would sure help. Isn't that the idea?
Everybody is on the ''hit'' list of opponents. Sure, maybe he wasn't the primary target of opponents early on, but he still got hit, and have been absorbing hits since being a young teenager.

As for other injured players, Salo, Kasparitis, Wisniewski, Colaiacovo, Schneider, all come to mind pretty easily without even thinking, were/are all of them not able to take in a hit?

Don't know what you're talking about him looking like he got shot by a cannon after getting hit. I don't recall Markov getting flattened all that many times, maybe a few times which is expected in every NHLer's career. The only time I remember him really dropping is when he got injured, and that's kind of normal seeing how injuries tend to hurt.

As for his performance in the POs, it doesn't take anything away from his skill set. Not showing up for the POs can raise the question of character, not skills.
I personally don't think he's been bad in the POs, like Plekanec, a lot of things he did just go unnoticed.

Quote:
LOL

Fans questioned whether or not he came back too early after he got injured. Fans don't get the medical reports, nor are we doctors that evaluate Markov.
If Markov is cleared by the medical staff, then he's good to go.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
As a Markov fan and defender, I would agree with this. Markov doesn't know how to take a hit properly. The Grabovski hit and the Staal hit are both evidence of this. Or, he's afraid to take a hit properly due to the possibility of reinjuring himself and in the process...reinjures himself.
Grabovski hit Markov from behind.
As for the Cooke hit, he raced to the puck, moved it, braced himself for the coming hit, but Cooke had good momentum in it, falls awkwardly. The same thing he always did, the first time he got injured after it.
Staal is a knee on knee. Common occurrence in the NHL.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:31 PM
capebretoncanadien

I asked this already and everyone seems to be too busy crapping on each other and Markov to answer it.

So I'll try one more time.

How's he looking? Anyone catching any of the games?

capebretoncanadien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Mr. Hab

Markov = huge ZERO in playoffs
Markov = huge ZERO for the PP in playoffs
(Kovalev was a playoffs hero VS Markov...Kovalev had the pts and effort in playoffs...Markov just disappears and many just deny this fact and defend Markov day in, day out)
Markov = bad news...year after year after year...
Markov = false hope (4 seasons now!)
Markov = Hab fans VS Hab fans (Markov gets Hab fans arguing with each other all the time )
Markov = jinx to our Habs
Markov = $5.57mil/year thrown in garbage...$$ that should be for a top 3 dman
Markov =

Looking forward to this:
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - top 4 UFA
Beaulieu - Ellis
Emelin

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-31-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:59 AM
DAChampion

The Habs were the third worst team in the league last year, but we shouldn't go for a rebuild. The reason is that Andrei Markov is coming back soon. His prior injuries were statistical flukes. Having him in the lineup for the entire season that's played will be a huge difference-maker, we will be cup-contender for sure.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:01 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Lookinf forward to this:
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - top 4 UFA
Beaulieu - Ellis
Emelin
You're assuming we'll be able to get a top-4 dman on the UFA market... ok fine, we did get Hamrlik once and he was amazing for us. He was our no. 2 dman for 2 years and our no. 1 dman for 2 years.

However, you're also assuming that all 3 of Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu will work out. Honestly, if 2 of the 3 work out we're very lucky.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:01 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:

Good on Markov for getting a 3 yr deal out of PG. Meehan is obviously a better negotiator than the ex Habs GM. However, there's no reason PG should have accepted the term. PG should've put a 1-2 yr deal on the table max and walked away from anything else. I highly doubt Markov would've received a 3-yr deal for that price given his injury history anywhere else. Not too many teams would've taken that chance. Even if he did receive that type of offer elsewhere, Markov would've faced with the choice of leaving his beloved Mtl for maybe 1 extra yr somewhere else (see how that worked out for Kovalev) which he may have opted not to do. So I'm convinced that eventually Markov would've caved for a 1-2 yr deal with Mtl. And if he didn't, hey would it be the worst thing in the world??? He missed out on almost an entire yr of his existing contract and when he came back he wasn't his old self. And let's not kid ourselves, chances are he'll reinjure himself badly soon. I don't hope he does for the sake of the team, but it's almost a given at this point.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Of ALL the teams in the KHL, he chose Vityaz...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Good on Markov for getting a 3 yr deal out of PG. Meehan is obviously a better negotiator than the ex Habs GM. However, there's no reason PG should have accepted the term. PG should've put a 1-2 yr deal on the table max and walked away from anything else. I highly doubt Markov would've received a 3-yr deal for that price given his injury history anywhere else. Not too many teams would've taken that chance. Even if he did receive that type of offer elsewhere, Markov would've faced with the choice of leaving his beloved Mtl for maybe 1 extra yr somewhere else (see how that worked out for Kovalev) which he may have opted not to do. So I'm convinced that eventually Markov would've caved for a 1-2 yr deal with Mtl. And if he didn't, hey would it be the worst thing in the world??? He missed out on almost an entire yr of his existing contract and when he came back he wasn't his old self. And let's not kid ourselves, chances are he'll reinjure himself badly soon. I don't hope he does for the sake of the team, but it's almost a given at this point.
Markov is not someone you risk losing. Your team instantly becomes better with him in the line up.
Letting him walk free just because he wanted an extra year would been a ridiculous decision. At the time, we were expecting a good year out of our team.
Lets not forget there wasn't that many free agents available that could have the same impact as Markov.
It made perfect sense to sign him, and with a cap being as high as it was/is, it didn't affect us all that much.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You're assuming we'll be able to get a top-4 dman on the UFA market... ok fine, we did get Hamrlik once and he was amazing for us. He was our no. 2 dman for 2 years and our no. 1 dman for 2 years.

However, you're also assuming that all 3 of Tinordi, Ellis, Beaulieu will work out. Honestly, if 2 of the 3 work out we're very lucky.
Im hoping Tinordi will end up a solid, shutdown, defensive, PK specialist, #4-5 dman at worst a #5-6 dman that specializes in PK.

Beaulieu...expecting top 4 PP specialist and hopefully becomes good on defence as well.

Ellis...hoping for solid #5-6 dman with upside of #3-4 with lots of NHL seasons (experience/confidence).

No matter...I think it's time we get a top 4 solid iron-man dman that knows how to protect himself or take a bodycheck (ex: Subban and Gorges know how to take a bodycheck and Subban is one of my favorites is knowing what's coming and knowing how to avoid a train wreck...Markov could learn from watching Subban do this). Management has got to address this issue (adding another top 3-4 dman) and not wait any longer (no more waiting/depending on Markov...he's damaged goods and it's been 4 seasons now)...this way we could also give more time to let Beaulieu, Tinordi and Ellis and other Hab prospect dmen develop...

I don't care what some blind Hab fans write... imo Markov cannot for his life take a body check...he just doesn't know how to get ready for it. He's glass out there.

It's time for people to stop hoping/waiting for Markov and start hoping management gets a solid top 4 dman...this is what our Habs need. Subban and Gorges need help and that's not Markov since he will always be nursing injuries and he's never around to help the young dmen...I don't want to wait another 2-3 seasons for Markov.

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:10 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
This thread continues to confirm my belief that the habs have some of the worst fans in the league.
Tiny sample, but jumps to big conclusion. Thanks for the useless comment.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:25 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
This speaks more of the team's inability to draft, develop or acquire top end talent more than to Markov's level of play, in my humble opinion. Another proof of that was the God-like status many Habs' fans were giving to Alex Kovalev.

Markov has been a very good player for a while in Montreal. At his peak (3-4 years max), he was borderline elite, I'll give him that. I've always loved his vision on the ice and he was an excellent passer, especially on the PP. But since his injuries, he never could regain his old form and I'm personally very concerned that he may never will. I was shocked when Gauthier announced the 3 year deal, which I felt was too long for too much of a risk.

I know that saying that will be mistaken as "hate" towards Markov. I prefer calling it it "reality" or "taking the rose coloured glasses off".

Having said all of that, I'm genuinely hoping that he returns to the Habs in his old form as they will desperately need him to do so.
This, especially the bolded part.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Markov = huge ZERO in playoffs
Common misconception that had been discussed higher in the thread (kind of like Plekanec is bad in playoffs, the guy had one bad playoff run and he admitted it).
Markov = huge ZERO for the PP in playoffs
(Kovalev was a playoffs hero VS Markov...Kovalev had the pts and effort in playoffs...Markov just disappears and many just deny this fact and defend Markov day in, day out)
Playoffs aren't a PP game.
Markov = bad news...year after year after year...
I can live with bad news, hockey doesn't mean death or life.
Markov = false hope (4 seasons now!)
I think you mean 2 seasons now.
Markov = Hab fans VS Hab fans (Markov gets Hab fans arguing with each other all the time )
You mean you against everyone, then yeah kind of....
Markov = jinx to our Habs
Yeah and the aliens will attack us this december. Also, beware maybe the Sasquatch and the Lock Ness monster will procreate together.
Markov = $5.57mil/year thrown in garbage...$$ that should be for a top 3 dman
Insurances have paid alot of it in the past and it didn't count on the cap.
Markov =
I have more positive memory of Markov than negative, maybe that's because I focus on the positive in life.

Lookinf forward to this:
Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - top 4 UFA
Beaulieu - Ellis
Emelin

Some peoples had strong respectful responses to your comments and instead to at least comment them you just ignore them and pile on your flawed argumentation...

Last edited by Forsead: 10-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote