HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will a future Flyer wear #88?

View Poll Results: Will the #88 ever be chosen by another Flyer?
Yes 9 15.25%
No 50 84.75%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
ThatNavyGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryz4shiz View Post

You know that guy led the league in playoff goals last year right?

ThatNavyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
So for carter :
constant injuries
Parties
terrible playoff stats

for kane :
parties
I'd like to amend it slightly:

Carter:
Poorly timed injuries (during playoffs)
Poor playoff stats (because he is playing injured)
Parties

Kane:
Parties
Extremely poor defensive play... and I mean cherry picker status.
Punched a cab driver over 20cents... but somehow I think Flyers fans would not see that as a knock against him, rather a point of pride.

I try to imagine that series with Kane on the Flyers and JVR on the Hawks... to be honset I'm still not sure that we would have won.

I see Invictus' point. Were he drafted by the Flyers, 2 things could have happened:

1) he gets top line minutes and scores so freaking much that no one cares how bad he is defensively.

2) he does not get top line minutes and gets run out of town because he plays so poor defensively that he is not worth what little offense he could provide with limited minutes and no powerplay time. Maybe not Zherdev bad... but pretty freaking bad.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:12 PM
PayItForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I'd like to amend it slightly:

Carter:
Poorly timed injuries (during playoffs)
Poor playoff stats (because he is playing injured)
Parties

Kane:
Parties
Extremely poor defensive play... and I mean cherry picker status.
Punched a cab driver over 20cents... but somehow I think Flyers fans would not see that as a knock against him, rather a point of pride.

I try to imagine that series with Kane on the Flyers and JVR on the Hawks... to be honset I'm still not sure that we would have won.

I see Invictus' point. Were he drafted by the Flyers, 2 things could have happened:

1) he gets top line minutes and scores so freaking much that no one cares how bad he is defensively.

2) he does not get top line minutes and gets run out of town because he plays so poor defensively that he is not worth what little offense he could provide with limited minutes and no powerplay time. Maybe not Zherdev bad... but pretty freaking bad.
Kane's really not that poor defensively anymore. He's far from great, but not nearly as bad as he used to be.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:45 PM
LeanBeef

If Chicago was dumb enough not to draft Kane. Imagine Giroux and Kane on a line with Hartnell or Simmonds. Two great playmakers and a gritty/skilled forward to play with. Reminds me of the Sedins (minus the twin connection)

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
MojoJojo

its going to be some fourth line player 10 years from now from Europe who's never heard about EL. Frankly, by now I think he's fading. Maybe not fading into obscurity, but he isnt exactly this huge sore on anyone's behind anymore. Its not like we are talking about an all time great. Sure he might be in the HOF, but he never really won anything and at this point is more famous for his BS while here than for anything he did on the ice. People will eventually stop caring.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
Kane- 51 Playoff GP, 52 points
Carter (with flyers) - 41 GP, 21 points
With kings- 20 GP 13 points

Kane is over a ppg player in the playoffs, Carter isnt even close. If Kane put up those numbers here then no he would not have been run out of town like Carter
Carter also played the PK and is a way better defensive player than Kane will ever be. Also, he is playing for a Kings' team that stresses defence, not offence and still put up a lot of points. He can play centre, wing, PP and PK while Kane can't do anything but play offense.

As for wearing 88, why would anyone want to wear that number in Philly?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Carter also played the PK and is a way better defensive player than Kane will ever be. Also, he is playing for a Kings' team that stresses defence, not offence and still put up a lot of points. He can play centre, wing, PP and PK while Kane can't do anything but play offense.

As for wearing 88, why would anyone want to wear that number in Philly?
Kane is younger and has the stronger body of work.

Just looking at the regular season:

-Kane has 40 Point Shares in 400 games and is 23. Carter has 47 Point Shares in 516 games and he's 27.

Then contrast with post-season play:

-Kane has accumulated .1 PS/G largely based on a .92 PPG regular season clip. Kane has maintained (and even slightly exceeded) his regular season scoring pace in the playoffs. There's every reason to believe that his regular season value reflects his post-season value and vice versa. If there was such a thing as post-season Point Shares, .1 PS/G is a good barometer of Kane's playoff value.

-Carter has accumulated .09 PS/G in the regular season while scoring at a .73 PPG pace. Carter has not maintained his regular season production in the playoffs. His post-season scoring is down about 33% from his regular season pace. It is highly dubious that Carter's post-season value has measured up to the .09 PS/G suggested by his regular season numbers.

So when you look at a measure of all-around contribution:

-Kane has a slight edge in the regular season
-Kane has an even larger implied edge in the post-season (based on discrepancy between Carter's regular season and post-season play)
-Kane broke into the league earlier, is considerably younger and should have more prime years left

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:04 PM
sg12lw

kane>carter>jvr

im glad none of them are on this team

as for the topic: i hope not. 88 should be in the rafters if you ask me

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote