HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NCAA Football Thread

Old
10-23-2012, 09:54 PM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Alright so 5th toughest. Whoop dee do. And Pittsburgh is better than their record suggests. Their offense is good, but the D gives up too many big plays.

Calling Kent State even with UConn pretty much proves my point anyway. Rutgers played alright, not great, not bad, against UConn and beat them by 16. And even that kind of makes that game look closer than it really was.
Just pointing out two false statements, lol.

Personally think Kent St is better than UConn, although I haven't seen Kent St play much. UConn lost to Western Michigan, who lost to Kent State by a couple of scores. I know that formula doesn't always work, but its tough to compare in CFB.

SCOTTIESTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:25 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
They lost to two top five teams. It's not like they lost to Appalachian State.
I remember that day. I remember that day quite clearly and I think I laughed for a good 40 minutes just reading the scoreline.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 11:54 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
They lost to two top five teams. It's not like they lost to Appalachian State.
A loss is a loss. The BCS is stupid. A four team playoff is a step in the right direction, but I personally won't be satisfied until each conference gets representation. It's just not fair.

Who do you think gets in the title game, an undefeated Rutgers or a 1 loss SEC team? Hell, a 2 loss SEC team is apparently good enough. It pretty much means that there's a select group of teams that are allowed to play in the championship game, no matter how the season pans out. THink about that. The National Championship possible representatives are determined in the preseason before any snaps take place.

I think there's 11 conferences. Each conference should get a team in, plus 5 wild cards. 10 game season, no conference championships. Seed them 1-16 however you want. 4 week playoff, 31 total playoff games, throw a sponsor on each game and you make a ton. Games will be done by mid January at the latest.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

The BCS is a JOKE. Hopefully by the time Penn State is eligible for the post season again the system is fixed. Doubtful.

People are rolling in cash off of kids that don't get paid for their services. Criminal. The sad part is that so many people buy into it when they should be outraged.

Old
10-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I hate Ohio State with a carnal passion but I hope they absolutely crush Penn State today.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
apice3*

want to see rutgers win and everyone above them lose.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:54 PM
apice3*

Gary Nova playin like doodoo paper. Huge drive on a few sick plays by Jamison to cut the deficit to 11 to end the half.

Old
10-27-2012, 03:55 PM
SCOTTIESTEVENS

That could be a game saving TD for Rutgers. Guess Kent State is better than some of us thought.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
apice3*

Not particularly impressed with them, honestly. I was more impressed with Temple last week.

The pick 6 was an incredible play, but a very lucky one as well. The other 3 picks Gary Nova threw directly at the defender. 14 points of terrible turnovers.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:51 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
A loss is a loss. The BCS is stupid. A four team playoff is a step in the right direction, but I personally won't be satisfied until each conference gets representation. It's just not fair.

Who do you think gets in the title game, an undefeated Rutgers or a 1 loss SEC team? Hell, a 2 loss SEC team is apparently good enough. It pretty much means that there's a select group of teams that are allowed to play in the championship game, no matter how the season pans out. THink about that. The National Championship possible representatives are determined in the preseason before any snaps take place.

I think there's 11 conferences. Each conference should get a team in, plus 5 wild cards. 10 game season, no conference championships. Seed them 1-16 however you want. 4 week playoff, 31 total playoff games, throw a sponsor on each game and you make a ton. Games will be done by mid January at the latest.
You'll never get a playoff 'that' big AND have all the bowls as presently constituted. And you're never going to get any playoff system that doesn't have the bowls. There's a ****load more money to be made from forty different bowls than there is for fifteen playoff games, some of which are going to be every bit the meh matchups the bowls are now. I think tweaking the system is the best you can hope for. There's no reason a conference loser has to be eligible for the BCS Championship...only teams that win their conference (plus Notre Dame) should be eligible for the playoff, BCS poll be damned.

One of the many problems with college football is not all conferences are created equal. As Rutgers proved yesterday. If they're the 'best' team the Big East has to offer, the Big East is as bad as the NFC West was the year Seattle won a division at 7-9.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:30 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
You'll never get a playoff 'that' big AND have all the bowls as presently constituted. And you're never going to get any playoff system that doesn't have the bowls. There's a ****load more money to be made from forty different bowls than there is for fifteen playoff games, some of which are going to be every bit the meh matchups the bowls are now. I think tweaking the system is the best you can hope for. There's no reason a conference loser has to be eligible for the BCS Championship...only teams that win their conference (plus Notre Dame) should be eligible for the playoff, BCS poll be damned.

One of the many problems with college football is not all conferences are created equal. As Rutgers proved yesterday. If they're the 'best' team the Big East has to offer, the Big East is as bad as the NFC West was the year Seattle won a division at 7-9.
Rutgers is still a good team, they just played like garbage yesterday. Every team has a game like that once in a while.

As for the Bowl Games, I don't see what's wrong with having a 16team playoff (15 games) and giving the rest of the .500+ teams a bowl game as usual. It actually would generate more revenue because the 16 team playoff would add 7 more games to the Bowl season and more people will watch them since it'll crown a champion.

I don't have a problem awarding multiple teams from a conference a playoff spot since the conferences aren't equal. There's way too many schools to have even conferences. Plus, teams change so drastically every year that it's impossible to keep things balanced.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****

For Nova to not get pulled, is unexplainable. He was god awful yesterday. He doesn't have the numbers or pedigree to be above being pulled. Unacceptable. Dodd should have been in after the fourth pick.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Pride 26 View Post
For Nova to not get pulled, is unexplainable. He was god awful yesterday. He doesn't have the numbers or pedigree to be above being pulled. Unacceptable. Dodd should have been in after the fourth pick.
As I had said, the MAC conference has some darn good football teams.
Rutgers took them lightly and got beat.

RU still controls their own destiny for a BCS Bowl Game, they have to go and get it done in 3 tough conference games.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:05 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
I don't have a problem awarding multiple teams from a conference a playoff spot since the conferences aren't equal. There's way too many schools to have even conferences. Plus, teams change so drastically every year that it's impossible to keep things balanced.
I meant tweaking the 'current' four-team playoff. There's no reason to have one-loss teams that don't win their conference in the semis or championship game when you have qualified conference winners.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I meant tweaking the 'current' four-team playoff. There's no reason to have one-loss teams that don't win their conference in the semis or championship game when you have qualified conference winners.
Right but the problem is everyone in the world knows that a 1-loss SEC team would crap all over the C-USA champion. By making it so only conference champions can qualify for a playoff, you'd have top teams trying to join crap conferences. It would result in a more even group of conferences in the long run, although getting to that point would be messy, but it would pretty much take a lot of excitement out of the regular season since the disparity from top to bottom of each conference would be a lot larger. You'd also have teams scheduling as weak an out of conference schedule as possible, since only the conference champion would matter. No use getting beat up and risking a loss over a good out of conference game.

I'd be a fan of 11 conference champions so every single D-1 team has a chance to play, and some way to determine 5 wild cards. Been preaching it for years. Each conference gets represented and one loss isn't a poison pill like it is now.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:20 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Right but the problem is everyone in the world knows that a 1-loss SEC team would crap all over the C-USA champion. By making it so only conference champions can qualify for a playoff, you'd have top teams trying to join crap conferences
No you would not. What drove conference realignment is tv money.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:44 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
No you would not. What drove conference realignment is tv money.
So SEC teams like LSU, Florida, Alabama, etc. would have no problem beating each other up for one playoff spot while teams like Clemson, FSU, and UNC have the equal opportunity? The past realignment isn't really relevant when discussing this hypothetical "must win your conference to make the playoffs" situation.

If you make it mandatory to win your conference to make the NCAA playoffs, teams are going to downgrade their competition. If I'm Florida, I'd try to move to the ACC. I'd rather compete against Duke and NC. State en route to the playoffs instead of the powerhoses of college football.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Quote:
So SEC teams like LSU, Florida, Alabama, etc. would have no problem beating each other up for one playoff spot while teams like Clemson, FSU, and UNC have the equal opportunity? The past realignment isn't really relevant when discussing this hypothetical "must win your conference to make the playoffs" situation.

If you make it mandatory to win your conference to make the NCAA playoffs, teams are going to downgrade their competition. If I'm Florida, I'd try to move to the ACC. I'd rather compete against Duke and NC. State en route to the playoffs instead of the powerhoses of college football.
Given that football money basically funds the rest of the sports (except mens basketball), yes.

And in your scenario Florida goes from competing against Georgia and SCar to competing against FSU and Clemson in conference. Considering both of them our top 15 teams most years that is pretty much a wash. Yes they would get to face Duke (some years), but currently they play Kentucky annually (who is currently) worse.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:08 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Oh and my team is ****ing cursed. 4 Maryland QB's have gone down with season ending injuries, 3 of been ACL's. They have no QB's left on the roster and will likely be starting a linebacker at qb next week

Old
10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Given that football money basically funds the rest of the sports (except mens basketball), yes.

And in your scenario Florida goes from competing against Georgia and SCar to competing against FSU and Clemson in conference. Considering both of them our top 15 teams most years that is pretty much a wash. Yes they would get to face Duke (some years), but currently they play Kentucky annually (who is currently) worse.
It's not just Georgia and SCar vs FSU and Clemson. Top to bottom, the SEC is miles ahead of the ACC.

Do you think Florida wins the SEC this year? Probably not because of Alabama. In NJDevs26's proposal where only conference winners qualify for the playoffs, by default Florida would miss. Would Florida win the ACC this year? Yes, and in his proposal would make the playoffs.

My point is it would be a lot easier to win a mediocre conference than a great one, so top teams in the SEC could try to transfer into easier conferences. Not just the SEC, but theoretically the Sun Belt, C-USA, etc. If you're a team like Florida, or anyone else in the SEC, why not transfer to an easier conference to make your road to the playoffs that much easier? Again, this is all based on NJDevs26's "win the conference" rule.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

With a 14 team conference and 8 games schedule the two in the Sec are basically opposite conferences now.

Second you need money to win. Money fuels ability to recruit. It fuels facility upgrades vital to recruiting. And football revenue funds all the other sports in an athletic department outside of basketball. That is of huge importance to athletic departments.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:33 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Rutgers helmet for Saturday:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...96--ncaaf.html

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:46 PM
apice3*

^That's awesome.

USC has put up consecutive weeks of 615 yards of offense and has lost both games.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Zippy316

The score of the Louisiana Tech and Texas St. game is 41-34 at HALFTIME.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Oh and my team is ****ing cursed. 4 Maryland QB's have gone down with season ending injuries, 3 of been ACL's. They have no QB's left on the roster and will likely be starting a linebacker at qb next week
Could be worse

Try being an Ilini fan

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote