HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Noticed that coach Ryan didn't speak with the media after the game.

P.S - Why did Groenheyde get a misconduct?

Old
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Noticed that coach Ryan didn't speak with the media after the game.

P.S - Why did Groenheyde get a misconduct?
The STU goalie went at one of the Acadia players that got into his grill a bit in the crease. This sparked a line scrum. My guess was that the ref gave Groenheyde the misconduct to send a message (since it wouldn't be a power play as would be the case if he game him a minor) and Coach Ryan then decided to make an example of his goalie -- which is the bit the assistant coach told Bill Hunt for the Gleaner.

Old
10-20-2012, 03:05 PM
gleanerguy

To be fair, worked the Acadia side of the rink first. By the time we got to the STU side, Ryan was in the room with his players, probably believing that the media wasn't going to want to speak after a 7-1 drubbing. Waited 15 or so minutes, asked the athletic therapist to let him know we were there and he said "I don't think I want to go in there right now." Waited a few more minutes, knocked on the door and he sent Tim Smith out to speak. Would have waited longer, but had an earlier deadline than usual. It's not Ryan's practice to duck the media -- in fact, quite the opposite. We enjoy his candor as opposed to the structured scripture we get from GMac. Will cut him a little slack. In fairness, not much to say after the mess that was last night anyway...hope for a better effort against a more competitive opponent tonight...

Old
10-20-2012, 04:45 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
To be fair, worked the Acadia side of the rink first. By the time we got to the STU side, Ryan was in the room with his players, probably believing that the media wasn't going to want to speak after a 7-1 drubbing. Waited 15 or so minutes, asked the athletic therapist to let him know we were there and he said "I don't think I want to go in there right now." Waited a few more minutes, knocked on the door and he sent Tim Smith out to speak. Would have waited longer, but had an earlier deadline than usual. It's not Ryan's practice to duck the media -- in fact, quite the opposite. We enjoy his candor as opposed to the structured scripture we get from GMac. Will cut him a little slack. In fairness, not much to say after the mess that was last night anyway...hope for a better effort against a more competitive opponent tonight...
More competitive opponent? I would think Acadia would be one of the more competitive opponents in the CIS this year

Old
10-20-2012, 05:44 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
More competitive opponent? I would think Acadia would be one of the more competitive opponents in the CIS this year
I believe Gleanerguy means that a team that STU can be more competitive against, i.e has a better chance to win the game.

Old
10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
gleanerguy

Thanks, Foyle...that's indeed what I meant...that Dal and STU should be roughly comparable, as in 7-8 in the Conference this year.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:12 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu vs Dal

Quote:
Thanks, Foyle...that's indeed what I meant...that Dal and STU should be roughly comparable, as in 7-8 in the Conference this year.
The result, 5-2 loss to Dal is huge. The Tommies can't afford losses to Dal, especially at home.
What's the scoop on this one?

Old
10-21-2012, 10:21 AM
gleanerguy

Short answer: Giveaways and rebounds, down 1-0, 3-0 then 4-0 in the first minute ofthe third period and they don't have the firepower to play from behind. The games they have to win will be 3-2, 4-2 empty net goal type of wins.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:26 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
The result, 5-2 loss to Dal is huge. The Tommies can't afford losses to Dal, especially at home.
What's the scoop on this one?
The scoop appears to be the same as the previous 4 or 5 years...they just aren't good enough, unfortunately.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Rob

Tough loss tonight. Just 3 min away from at least a point.

Good news for the Tommie is that SMU is coming off a big loss while they just played their best game of the year.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:27 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Quote:
Not to sure about that, Dal has definitely improved over last year, but in a very tough conference, it looks like the Tommie's have taken a step back. With the loss at home (5-0) to SMU, they are now 0-6 to start the year. The crappy thing is that these last 4 games have all been on home.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

For all of the talk about UNB's streak against STU...Saint Mary's is up to 21 in a row against the Tommies, ever since STU eliminated them from the playoffs in 2007.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:45 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Not to sure about that, Dal has definitely improved over last year, but in a very tough conference, it looks like the Tommie's have taken a step back. With the loss at home (5-0) to SMU, they are now 0-6 to start the year. The crappy thing is that these last 4 games have all been on home.
To be fair, that comment was made before their home game against Dal, based largely on preseason predictions and last season. Agree, Dal seems to have improved. My concern, after watching the Tommies get hammered again on home ice Saturday night, is where their points are going to come from? They can't clear the zone and can't score. Three shots in the second period against SMU Saturday night, one in the first half of the third. They couldn't touch the puck. Groenheyde looked completely frustrated. Crowds are already starting to fall off at Grant Harvey. Looks like a long season ahead.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:28 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Quote:
To be fair, that comment was made before their home game against Dal, based largely on preseason predictions and last season. Agree, Dal seems to have improved. My concern, after watching the Tommies get hammered again on home ice Saturday night, is where their points are going to come from? They can't clear the zone and can't score. Three shots in the second period against SMU Saturday night, one in the first half of the third. They couldn't touch the puck. Groenheyde looked completely frustrated. Crowds are already starting to fall off at Grant Harvey. Looks like a long season ahead.
Agree, I think most fans were looking forward to a better Tommie team in a brand new building, but the results speak for themselves. Bill Hunt's article stated that this was the year that STU needed to turn it around. I think it's clear that they are going to struggle game in and game out. Maybe they need someone like Belliveau or Coolen to recruit. This league just gets better and better every year, it's tough to make a move up the ladder!
I hope the fans and media don't turn this thing into a circus!

Old
10-28-2012, 02:02 PM
TomBull

Quote:
Agree, I think most fans were looking forward to a better Tommie team in a brand new building, but the results speak for themselves. Bill Hunt's article stated that this was the year that STU needed to turn it around. I think it's clear that they are going to struggle game in and game out. Maybe they need someone like Belliveau or Coolen to recruit. This league just gets better and better every year, it's tough to make a move up the ladder!
I hope the fans and media don't turn this thing into a circus!
I don't think it is going to be a circus but people will get frustrated that is for sure.

The best guys on the team are the guys that Ryan brought in, Cameron excluded. Reich, Henegan, and Chermetiev are no where near the type of guys needed to win yet they take up spots.

Does anyone out there think this is Ryan's fault? He is saddled with the previous coach's mistakes, is expected to fix them but without the same resources. Doesn't seem fair.

Maybe Ryan can't fix what is wrong but if he can't you better start looking above him to see who is creating the problems because with the same rules nobody is going to fix it. There are a lot of people who will stand with Troy.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
rantfather

The responsible party for past And present is?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBull View Post
I don't think it is going to be a circus but people will get frustrated that is for sure.

The best guys on the team are the guys that Ryan brought in, Cameron excluded. Reich, Henegan, and Chermetiev are no where near the type of guys needed to win yet they take up spots.

Does anyone out there think this is Ryan's fault? He is saddled with the previous coach's mistakes, is expected to fix them but without the same resources. Doesn't seem fair.

Maybe Ryan can't fix what is wrong but if he can't you better start looking above him to see who is creating the problems because with the same rules nobody is going to fix it. There are a lot of people who will stand with Troy.
I get accused of wrongly accusing current A/D and former coach for this men's hockey situation. BUT facts speak for themselves.

Eagles ran the program into the ground with obscene expenditures on players which in some cases are still.being paid,left LARGE men's hockey debts behind THEN reduced the current coaches budget by $50,000...does this make.sense??

That amount of money would represents 5 quality players and is badly needed by the current group.

The current coach Troy Ryan et al has done as good a job that can be reasonably expected under the circumstances and as long as inadequate funding continues then we can expect the same result.

Fair, I do not think so.....the very man who created this situation still controls the purse strings and will continue making detrimental decisions for men's hockey.

What Einstein would.think anything different ???

Old
10-28-2012, 03:03 PM
gleanerguy

Not blaming Troy Ryan in any way. He's as frustrated and embarrassed as anyone, I would guess. But this team, as constructed, cannot compete based on what I've seen of the league so far.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Rob

I have to agree with ranfather here. This is the team Eagles has put together. He is also the man who was in charge of slashing the team's budget this season. I don't blame any STU hockey fan for loathing him.

Last night was brutal. I'm sure they can play better than what they showed but the lack of talent is obvious. They had a few chances to get breakaways or odd man rushes that just imploded. Usually due to a lack of speed.

I just hope this team doesn't go the way of the MTA Mounties.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
STUTOMMIES

No matter the condition of the team right now, I will support Troy Ryan...end of story!! I'm not alone either, I think most people in STU hockey circles do and are genuinely happy with what he has done.

He could be a master in BS but he isn't because his record (previous to STU) speaks for itself and speaks loudly of his character.

KEN MANTIN AWARD
This award was establishedin 1996 and named in honour of long-time HNS President, Ken Mantin, to recognize individuals for outstanding contributionto the development of amateur hockey in NS at the provincial level. Nominees are from the fields of research, sports medicine, psychology, coaching, officiating, administration or related categories. This award is presented annually.

General Manager and coach of Jr A Team Atlantic.

The guy is the real deal. He is in a situation that isn't ideal, granted, but if someone can make it work, he can.

Maybe we all wished for miracles but those only happen on TV. He is trying to BUILD the program one step at a time and I think he is trying to do it the right way. The Squirrels mighty dynasty wasn't built in two years and ours won't be either plus we have further to climb.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
gleanerguy

He's a good guy, and he's done the rebuild before. But it's clear it's going to take time. Not even sure what the team's identity is supposed to be? Defensively strong? Hard working? It's hard to tell. I missed the game against X, reputed to be their best effort of the season. In the three home games I've seen, they've been badly outplayed. They're chasing the puck all the time and not catching up. Forwards come unimpeded into the zone and throw the puck around like the Harlem Globetrotters. Not sure what the fix is. Couple of big, physical defencemen maybe. Puck moving defencemen don't do you any good if you can't get the puck. Not an indictment of Troy by any means, except that the whole league's talent level seems to have gotten that much better and the Tommies have not kept up.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
He's a good guy, and he's done the rebuild before. But it's clear it's going to take time. Not even sure what the team's identity is supposed to be? Defensively strong? Hard working? It's hard to tell. I missed the game against X, reputed to be their best effort of the season. In the three home games I've seen, they've been badly outplayed. They're chasing the puck all the time and not catching up. Forwards come unimpeded into the zone and throw the puck around like the Harlem Globetrotters. Not sure what the fix is. Couple of big, physical defencemen maybe. Puck moving defencemen don't do you any good if you can't get the puck. Not an indictment of Troy by any means, except that the whole league's talent level seems to have gotten that much better and the Tommies have not kept up.
There are ways to slow more talented teams down, and most coaches who know the talent isint there for a track meet need to slow it down from the neutral zone in. Whats the scheme of their dzone so they dont get killed? If I'm the coach of a team of a team without talent (like I am) I'm making more of an effort to winning hockey games 3-2, 2-1 and 1-0 with a solid goaltender and solid defensive team play.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:55 PM
rantfather

MANY untold stories in the Naked City(aka Tommies Nation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have to agree with ranfather here. This is the team Eagles has put together. He is also the man who was in charge of slashing the team's budget this season. I don't blame any STU hockey fan for loathing him.

Last night was brutal. I'm sure they can play better than what they showed but the lack of talent is obvious. They had a few chances to get breakaways or odd man rushes that just imploded. Usually due to a lack of speed.

I just hope this team doesn't go the way of the MTA Mounties.
Dave Gilmore,Mat Hogan,Dan Preston,Mark Edmudnson ,Shane Gaffar.,5 quality.hockey players ALL recruited within the CIS guideline,t he first 3 were 1st team CIS All stars at.least once during their Tommies career and all were recruited in a very competitive recruiting environment,it can still.be done.with a cogent, consistent recruiting approach.

It is my belief that If information from STU athlethic department was to be released.and examined(don't expect that to.happen under Eagles lack of transparency) one might understand my ongoing anger about this man being in charge.

It is my belief that with his inability to.recruit that obscene amounts of.money were used which now leaves the Tommies in the state in which they find themselves.

I believe that a THOROUGH and.open analysis would.explain a lot as to.The current state of Men's.Hockey.

Last edited by rantfather: 10-28-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
10-28-2012, 05:03 PM
rantfather

Troy Ryan was a wonderful.selection to.take the Tommies forward but is being horribly handicapped with the continuous mismanagement of hockey dollars by the Athletics Dept.

He is too much of a gentleman to.complain about the circumstances but I am.NOT.

RANTFATHER BA 68.

Last edited by rantfather: 10-28-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
10-28-2012, 05:09 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
No matter the condition of the team right now, I will support Troy Ryan...end of story!! I'm not alone either, I think most people in STU hockey circles do and are genuinely happy with what he has done.

He could be a master in BS but he isn't because his record (previous to STU) speaks for itself and speaks loudly of his character.

KEN MANTIN AWARD
This award was establishedin 1996 and named in honour of long-time HNS President, Ken Mantin, to recognize individuals for outstanding contributionto the development of amateur hockey in NS at the provincial level. Nominees are from the fields of research, sports medicine, psychology, coaching, officiating, administration or related categories. This award is presented annually.

General Manager and coach of Jr A Team Atlantic.

The guy is the real deal. He is in a situation that isn't ideal, granted, but if someone can make it work, he can.

Maybe we all wished for miracles but those only happen on TV. He is trying to BUILD the program one step at a time and I think he is trying to do it the right way. The Squirrels mighty dynasty wasn't built in two years and ours won't be either plus we have further to climb.
Troy Ryan is a wonderful.coach and should be given the tools to.get the Mens Hockey back on track without I terference.

RANTFATHER,BA 68

Old
10-28-2012, 05:47 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
There are ways to slow more talented teams down, and most coaches who know the talent isint there for a track meet need to slow it down from the neutral zone in. Whats the scheme of their dzone so they dont get killed? If I'm the coach of a team of a team without talent (like I am) I'm making more of an effort to winning hockey games 3-2, 2-1 and 1-0 with a solid goaltender and solid defensive team play.
Easier said than done! This entire league has elevated itself since you played with STU
You play UNB,Moncton,Acadia and those are top 5 teams in the country, than the rest of the pack is also very,very competitive. Outside of STU, there are no weak teams, no gimme games, unlike the OUA. That's not meant to be a dig, because it has also improved, but it's reality. They are giving up a ton of shots every night. Would a trap style work? I don't think that you will have any better results, I don't think that they have the skill to counter attack, but they can't be giving up 50 shots a game.
Ryan knows his systems well, it's not a coaching problem! It's recruiting and if he's handcuffed, than it's a big problem!
I'd be looking at the ECHL, maybe they can attract one or two players under 21 years of age, who have had a change in heart and are looking to go the college way, instead of semi-pro.

Closed Thread