Notices

Islanders are Moving to Brooklyn in 2015

Old
10-25-2012, 08:14 AM
GordonHowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Eagle View Post
I couldn't disagree more!! I think they have some of the best uniforms in the league. The third jersey from last year is a little strange, but the rest are just plain awesome! The simple outline of the island, and the hockey stick is just great, and I love the colors. I would put them in the top ten personally.

Great move going to Brooklyn, but the arena was made for basketball, so maybe not the best setup for a hockey rink. The NCC is a bit of a dump, but the place has pretty good atmosphere when the team is good, and reminds me of the old Garden with the distance of the seats from the ice.
For an expansion team, the original sweaters are fine. And their mystique is enhanced by four Cups. I remember how great those teams were, and respect the jersey for that reason. Heck, even Avalanche j's look better in light of a Cup or two. Understand, too, "all the good colors" had been taken by then.

If you really want to go after the Isles, look no further than the Gorton Fisherman experiment. That was California Golden Seals territory, sans the white skates.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
For an expansion team, the original sweaters are fine. And their mystique is enhanced by four Cups. I remember how great those teams were, and respect the jersey for that reason. Heck, even Avalanche j's look better in light of a Cup or two. Understand, too, "all the good colors" had been taken by then.

If you really want to go after the Isles, look no further than the Gorton Fisherman experiment. That was California Golden Seals territory, sans the white skates.
Actually, the Islander colors are the same as the Mets...and, the New York state flag.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 View Post
Will there be a team name change?

The "Brooklyn Islanders" does not sound right, since they will no longer be on Long Island.
Two New York City boroughs, Kings (Brooklyn) and Queens, are geographically located on Long Island.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I feel for those in Long Island who, in spite of the short move may not be able to make the trek to the new digs, been there to see games a half dozen times, great fans, knowledgeable too.

Unfortunate they've been force fed garbage decision making and pitiful organizational direction for years.

New barn/home but.....nothing changes nothing changes. As long as Wang is the owner, and Snow calling the shots well.....I'll let you fill in the blanks from here

Sounds like it's a pretty easy trip by public transport, should be more accessible to more people at the end of the day. Unfortunately there will be a few die hards who are inconvenienced but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Hard to catch a train from Winnipeg to Phoenix

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Actually, the Islander colors are the same as the Mets...and, the New York state flag.
And the old NY license plates... and the original New Netherland colony flag... there's quite a bit of history behind the color scheme.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
3. At the presser yesterday, Ratner said he had hoped to get the Islanders as a tenant. Well if that's the case Mr. Slimy Developer, why the hell did you cheap out on the arena by not allowing for a hockey configuration that looks normal? Here is the hockey seating configuration for the arena. As you can see, there is NO LOWER BOWL at one end of the rink. So because they cheaped out, 2,500-3000 prime seats are completely unavailable for hockey.
Ugh. Shades of Key Arena hockey seating chart.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:53 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
Glad the Islanders are staying on the island....but I have to vent about a few things associated with this situation:

3. At the presser yesterday, Ratner said he had hoped to get the Islanders as a tenant. Well if that's the case Mr. Slimy Developer, why the hell did you cheap out on the arena by not allowing for a hockey configuration that looks normal? Here is the hockey seating configuration for the arena. As you can see, there is NO LOWER BOWL at one end of the rink. So because they cheaped out, 2,500-3000 prime seats are completely unavailable for hockey.

4. You could blame Wang for not getting on board this Brooklyn arena train earlier but apparently he liked punishing himself by dealing with Nassau County to try and get his precious Lighthouse Project. Had he cut his losses sooner, they might have gotten a hockey configuration at Barclays. But the fact that Ratner said he wanted the Islanders as a tenant and created a building with an unworkable hockey setup is completely insane. The Islanders just traded one monster set of arena issues for a different set of arena issues.

If they fix it, then it's fine. But we shall see.
Wang was asked on WFAN if it's true that Ratner asked him a few yrs ago, if the isles were interested in coming to Brooklyn but because the Isles weren't, Barclay's scaled down. Wang was trying to get Ratner's Nets to LI, while Ratner was try to convince Wang to bring the isles to Brooklyn.

Wang is saying they are looking at another 1,000 seats at Barclays after renovations for hockey. That would bring it up to 15,500.
The average seats aren't where Wang is looking to cash in.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es/?ref=hockey
Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:31 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang was asked on WFAN if it's true that Ratner asked him a few yrs ago, if the isles were interested in coming to Brooklyn but because the Isles weren't, Barclay's scaled down. Wang was trying to get Ratner's Nets to LI, while Ratner was try to convince Wang to bring the isles to Brooklyn.

Wang is saying they are looking at another 1,000 seats at Barclays after renovations for hockey. That would bring it up to 15,500.
The average seats aren't where Wang is looking to cash in.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...es/?ref=hockey
Q. Why would the Islanders move from the Coliseum, where they are tenants, to Barclays, where they will still be tenants?

A. The short answer: $35 million in extra revenue per year. That goes a long way toward wiping out the club’s current operating deficit, estimated at $8 million per year.

The main benefit in this move “is not in the increased revenue the Isles will get from the average fan; it’s in the huge increase they’ll get from selling luxury suites and premium club seats,” said Tony Knopp, chief executive officer of Spotlight TMS, a company that manages corporate tickets at Barclays Center and other sites around the country.
AS one of the better Islanders fans I can ever remember coming across, what are your feelings on the move???

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:34 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
AS one of the better Islanders fans I can ever remember coming across, what are your feelings on the move???
I'm pretty friggin happy

I'd rather have them stay in Nassau County, but I can't blame Chuckles for saying enough. He bought the team 12 yrs ago and was told by local pols, that he'd be getting a new arena soon.

Now Wang is predicting playoffs for the isles, in his recent interviews. I expect him to open his wallet again , with the arena issue is settled and the new cba likely giving him revenue sharing for the first time.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:03 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
Sounds like it's a pretty easy trip by public transport, should be more accessible to more people at the end of the day. Unfortunately there will be a few die hards who are inconvenienced but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Hard to catch a train from Winnipeg to Phoenix
For some reason, that 25-30 miles of difference seems huge to Long Islanders. I can already hear "I don't wanna go all the way into the city!"

But seriously, this is a good move and I think their attendance will increase. Hell, it can't go down!

ToddRundgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm pretty friggin happy

I'd rather have them stay in Nassau County, but I can't blame Chuckles for saying enough. He bought the team 12 yrs ago and was told by local pols, that he'd be getting a new arena soon.

Now Wang is predicting playoffs for the isles, in his recent interviews. I expect him to open his wallet again , with the arena issue is settled and the new cba likely giving him revenue sharing for the first time.
I gained alot of respect for Charles on his recent interview with Mike Francessa on WFAN... He really wants to win.... Not sure Snow is the right guy, but Wang genuinely loves his Islanders.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
For some reason, that 25-30 miles of difference seems huge to Long Islanders. I can already hear "I don't wanna go all the way into the city!"

But seriously, this is a good move and I think their attendance will increase. Hell, it can't go down!
I'm thinking you've never driven from Suffolk County to NVMC. 100x easier to hop a train to Brooklyn, and about as fast. It was always a better travel experience going to a Rangers game in Manhattan than going to NVMC.

Old
10-27-2012, 08:46 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I'm thinking you've never driven from Suffolk County to NVMC. 100x easier to hop a train to Brooklyn, and about as fast. It was always a better travel experience going to a Rangers game in Manhattan than going to NVMC.
I have though. Many times, from Islip. There's just something about LI'ers where they don't want to go to the city. LI people drive everywhere because there is not much in the way of public transportation.

It was a while ago when I lived there, so maybe things have changed.

ToddRundgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Rubber Biscuit

It's usually between 45 minutes to an hour for me to get to NVMC

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:07 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I don't think the weird configuration for hockey is that big a deal.

The lower capacity is probably good tehy can charge more for the good seats. And there aren't that many Islander fans who will be able to get to Brooklyn for every game. It'll be a fanbase where most people go to 1-2 games a year max.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote