HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
I would rather restart the league once and have no work stoppages than have a league that intermittently shuts down every half-decade. It's too bad the former is not a guarantee, but if it were, you would bet I would choose that option. I care more about hockey now than hockey's history (I am a live in the present, plan for the future type of person).

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:26 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
A new league would not be substantially different from the NHL, anyways.

Why bother?

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
A new league would not be substantially different from the NHL, anyways.

Why bother?
I think the tacit notion of a new league is that a lot of the same elements will remain but without Bettman and his window dressing franchises.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:30 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
and with different teams, histories, rules, records...

Also, it's not "going away" right now. Losing part of one season isn't equal to the entire league fading away. They lost a whole season in 2004 and came back strong.
I'm sure something can be worked out to have the same teams/names, etc. I don't believe the NHL owns the Stanley cup.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
Krishna

Why would anyone want the league to fold?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Why would anyone want the league to fold?
Because the current league needs an overhaul and frankly, if they hold out this season...new direction would be warranted. Leagues have folded in the past and better leagues have been created....franchises brought their jerseys, history, etc...with them. Why can't that happen with the nhl?

Old
10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Because the current league needs an overhaul and frankly, if they hold out this season...new direction would be warranted. Leagues have folded in the past and better leagues have been created....franchises brought their jerseys, history, etc...with them. Why can't that happen with the nhl?
Somehow the NHL owns all the logo's and names not the teams, so.......

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Somehow the NHL owns all the logo's and names not the teams, so.......
I'm sure something can be worked out.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Not a disband as much as a major, major overhaul.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:12 PM
moosehead81

I would not like to see the league "dissolve" but wouldn't mind if it re-invented itself into maybe 24 economically sustainable competitive teams, 4 divisions of 7 teams each, top 4 of each division make the SC playoffs. I think all 7 Canadian franchises would make the cut and you could probably add 2 more, one in the GTA and one in Quebec City. Take your pick for the other 15 spots but mine would be Boston, New York (2 teams), Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit, Buffalo, Chicago, Minnesota, St Louis, Los Angeles, Denver, Nashville and San Jose. What a league that would be but unfortunately it won't happen and, if it did, it would take at least 3 years to sort out the costs (particularly the severance fee for a certain G Bettman) and legalities, Can't wait that long for my hockey fix.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Section337

I do not want 30 franchises to go into bankruptcy. Then get a dime on my season ticket dollar back because the banks will go after any money they can do and will be unlikely to finance new franchises when a league as solid as the NHL failed, never mind a start up. Nor do I want 100s of people to lose their jobs out pique.

I do not believe a new league would seamlessly rise from the ashes. Anything we get will be run by amateurs for a number of years and those amateurs may not succeed.

This idea makes zero sense to me.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Duk Dong View Post
Not a disband as much as a major, major overhaul.
The problem I see though, realistically. Do you really see a major overhaul with the league as it is right now? I don't think it's possible. I think the only way it works is if there is an end to the NHL or maybe a merger of NHL teams to a new league.

The entire infrastructure needs to be changed. I don't know how that happens without he league folding.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I do not want 30 franchises to go into bankruptcy. Then get a dime on my season ticket dollar back because the banks will go after any money they can do and will be unlikely to finance new franchises when a league as solid as the NHL failed, never mind a start up. Nor do I want 100s of people to lose their jobs out pique.

I do not believe a new league would seamlessly rise from the ashes. Anything we get will be run by amateurs for a number of years and those amateurs may not succeed.

This idea makes zero sense to me.
Amateurs? You think we have pros running the league right now? You will be able to pick top talent to run a new league. You'd even be able to bring people from the NHL. And since there are less teams in the new league... it will make things easier.

lets not act like the NHL is the be all end all and can't be improved.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
OK.

Why would that necessarily be bad?
Why would that be good?

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:16 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would love to see Don Fehr and Cancer dissolve...
Don Fehr IS a cancer. Your statement is redundant.

AHockeyGameBrokeOut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

I like the guys who post here that they hope the league dissolves... but they still show up on HF to follow and comment on the negotiations every day. If you really don't care that much about the NHL anymore, why are you still here?

So i'd imagine that even the OP doesn't truly want the league to dissolve. And if anyone truly does, they simply haven't thought about what it would mean. None of the current owners would want any part of a new league, meaning that league would definitely have a lot of second rate ownerships and obviously second rate arenas and hockey. People think the KHL is some sort of competition to the NHL right now, have you watched the games that are broadcast? it's nowhere near the level of the NHL, and any new NA league would be even worse than that. I'd say a new NA league would also fold within 15 years. The only reason the NHL can survive two lockouts is because of the 100 years of prior history, it's the NHL brand that keeps it alive. The same league with any other brand would have died after the first lockout.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:25 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

As ridiculous as I found the question, the poll is telling.

FanSince2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

Why would you want some new league to come up? What, you think some new league is going to be perfect unlike everything else in all of existance? People overreact to a problem and it just goes into armageddon.

Howboutthempanthers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I'm much rather see a well functioning NHL with no lockouts or strikes than see it dissolve..
Unfortunately, we'll get neither. This is all wishful thinking, but I wish there could be an alternative league. The owners r the problem.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:50 PM
KaylaJ
I like stories

I'm sure people are angry right now, but there would be major consequences and it wouldn't be as easy as just popping up a few new teams.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I like the guys who post here that they hope the league dissolves... but they still show up on HF to follow and comment on the negotiations every day. If you really don't care that much about the NHL anymore, why are you still here?

So i'd imagine that even the OP doesn't truly want the league to dissolve. And if anyone truly does, they simply haven't thought about what it would mean. None of the current owners would want any part of a new league, meaning that league would definitely have a lot of second rate ownerships and obviously second rate arenas and hockey. People think the KHL is some sort of competition to the NHL right now, have you watched the games that are broadcast? it's nowhere near the level of the NHL, and any new NA league would be even worse than that. I'd say a new NA league would also fold within 15 years. The only reason the NHL can survive two lockouts is because of the 100 years of prior history, it's the NHL brand that keeps it alive. The same league with any other brand would have died after the first lockout.
Best post of the thread.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Nocashstyle

No. Drama queen

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would love to see Don Fehr and Cancer dissolve...
lmao.....!!!!!

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:

the NHL is approaching its 100th year....in about five years....but it will be around?....

i hope so...

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

I like the sport of hockey and I like the players and teams. I DO NOT like the NHL, I DO NOT like the commish and I DO NOT like the way the league is structured. If there was an alternative, I would watch.

I keep hearing that a new league wouldn't work as if it has not happened in the past. You can tell some of you are very young. Leagues have folded and merged in the past....why can't it happen now? You think the NHL will last forever?