HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 95
Reports are that the NHL will cancel all November games this afternoon.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Reports are that the NHL will cancel all November games this afternoon.

Reports be correct. November is toast.

My thought is that the owners are fully prepared to lose another season to get what they want. If that happens, players lose 100% of salary less whatever they are making overseas, which I'm guessing in all but maybe a few Russian cases is less than here. A 12% cut/rollback/whatever you want to call it over 6 years is a 72% loss (more or less).

Somewhere between losing the whole season and 72% over 6 has to be an answer.

As to supporting the concept of the players being guaranteed their contract, I'm not sure I agree. If you want to be part of a union, then you need to do what the union votes on. If the better good is to sacrifice 12% of existing contracts to get a deal done then so be it. Seems like the players want it both ways, a right to be individuals as well as part of a group that dictates many aspects of scheduling, (re)alignment, etc. I don't think that is right.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
While I would love to see hockey played this year, a part of me wishes that the whole season is cancelled, because I would be fascinated to see how the owners and players would try to win back the fans that both of them have taken for granted. As a fan, I say stay locked out for as long as you want, it is no money out of my pocket. Then when the game comes back, you can try to show the fans how important we really are.
Oh, and spare me the usual newspaper articles wondering where the fan base went in a city like Nashville, or Columbus, or name your city.

Both players and owners (and you can throw the agents in with them) deserve to see this great game broken beyond repair. And then what will they do?

Old
10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

They showed how important we are to them by sending us invited to a Hockey Halloween party! OMG what fun! I'm totally going!

They failed to mention anything about games cancelled in that email. I wonder if they know?

sarcasm meter fully engaged

Old
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
They showed how important we are to them by sending us invited to a Hockey Halloween party! OMG what fun! I'm totally going!

They failed to mention anything about games cancelled in that email. I wonder if they know?

sarcasm meter fully engaged

Old
10-28-2012, 03:22 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Jack Johnson speaks out on lockout.

Quote:
October 28th, 2012... I want to work! I’m a professional athlete and I want to play hockey! In my chosen profession, I don’t have until I am 60 or 70 years old to do this job. My window of opportunity to play professional hockey is limited. If I’m lucky, I can play until I’m 40. I have been training as a hockey player my entire life, and I know it is a privilege to play in the NHL. So each month, each week, and each game that is cancelled is an opportunity I will never get back. This is the case for every NHL player. I value every day in this job and take my commitment to my team very seriously. I give it my all every shift. I come to play every night and I leave it all on the ice. This is my responsibility as an individual, an athlete, and a professional. I have a duty to my team, the organization that has given me this opportunity, and the fans in the stands to give them my best at all times. The concept that the owners are trying to dismantle existing contracts that they in good faith offered, signed, and committed to is appalling, unprofessional and disgraceful. I negotiated my own contract, without an agent, with the confidence and belief that the owner offering me that contract operated by the same convictions and principals as I do. During the summer, the players offered to play through negotiations and the owners locked us out. We want to play hockey! Where is the honor? I’m ready to play and uphold my end of the deal!
http://www.jackjohnson3.com/index.html

Last edited by IBleedUnionBlue: 10-28-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added link. Correctly pointed out in post below. Thanks.
Old
10-28-2012, 03:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
On the concept of honoring existing contracts, I'm on board with him.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Link?

I love the raw emotion, simply put. Well stated, Jack ... this is the type of guy we need leading our franchise.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:32 PM
HockeyHuck

I've quite simply set a deadline for the players and the owners. If the season does not begin by 1 November, I shan't bother to pay attention again. I quit baseball in 1987, hockey will be much easier.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHuck View Post
I've quite simply set a deadline for the players and the owners. If the season does not begin by 1 November, I shan't bother to pay attention again. I quit baseball in 1987, hockey will be much easier.
That'll show 'em.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:15 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

NHL to cancel the Winter Classic on Thursday. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ed-source-says Would guess the ASG will not be to far behind.

10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
NHL to cancel the Winter Classic on Thursday. http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ed-source-says Would guess the ASG will not be to far behind.
I guess they might as well cancel them and get it over with. This isnt getting resolved anytime soon.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
FlaggerX

Vinny just headed home. I guess that means the players don't see this ending soon.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:51 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
I guess they might as well cancel them and get it over with. This isnt getting resolved anytime soon.
Really I wish they would just cancel everything so we can move on.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
That'll show 'em.
Maybe not, but it's the only recourse fans have, isn't it? Fans, especially NHL fans given the last few labor disputes and how they've turned out, essentially suffer from battered wives syndrome. I don't begrudge any fan throwing in the towel on this nonsense. It's a great sport. It's great to watch live, but is it really worth all this?

Old
10-30-2012, 07:55 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Maybe not, but it's the only recourse fans have, isn't it? Fans, especially NHL fans given the last few labor disputes and how they've turned out, essentially suffer from battered wives syndrome. I don't begrudge any fan throwing in the towel on this nonsense. It's a great sport. It's great to watch live, but is it really worth all this?
Worth what? How are we, as fans, injured by this? Seriously, we are being drama queens. We miss a few games or a season. Big deal.

I'm really trying to understand the angst from fans on all this. I get greater angst when ticket prices go up. What, we might have to spend more time with our families and/or friends?

Let's keep this in perspective shall we. The ones that are more directly injured are those employed by the NHL teams and I'm not talking as much about the players, most of them have options.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:31 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Worth what? How are we, as fans, injured by this? Seriously, we are being drama queens. We miss a few games or a season. Big deal.

I'm really trying to understand the angst from fans on all this. I get greater angst when ticket prices go up. What, we might have to spend more time with our families and/or friends?

Let's keep this in perspective shall we. The ones that are more directly injured are those employed by the NHL teams and I'm not talking as much about the players, most of them have options.
That's the problem right there. Told my wife last night that we need to find something new to do this winter because I am already tired of her j/k but we are board out of our minds right now. I may have to take up bowling again.

But I do agree that the ones really being hurt by this are the people employed by or near NHL teams.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:51 AM
cslebn

Quote:
That's the problem right there. Told my wife last night that we need to find something new to do this winter because I am already tired of her j/k but we are board out of our minds right now. I may have to take up bowling again.

But I do agree that the ones really being hurt by this are the people employed by or near NHL teams.
I think that's the important note. It would be interesting to see the economics of the last lockout.

How many franchises laid people off?
How many local businesses shut their doors or laid people off?

Sadly I think the thing most forgotten in the owners/players disputes is that they control the fate of more than the people arguing at the table.

I'd really love to see an owner step and say, I'm keeping everyone on board and will pay all salaries even though no games are being played and I'm losing money. Yes they have to pay out of their own pocket and it's not fiscally responsible, but it would win major PR points.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:29 AM
WALLY

Quote:
Really I wish they would just cancel everything so we can move on.
That dagger you feel ever so slowly twisting in your gut is a negotiating tactic.

If they cancel the season now, then there is absolutely no urgency for the players to bend & settle. The owners will string everyone along until someone tires & breaks.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHuck View Post
I've never understood this line of thinking. Why would you quit doing something you enjoy? Out of spite?

I have better things to do than worry about when the lockout ends, but when it does, I'll still watch the Jackets. That is unless they suck, then I'll do something else.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I've never understood this line of thinking. Why would you quit doing something you enjoy? Out of spite?
Because you've found better things to do. Because you've found other things you enjoy. Because you've spent a lot of money in the past few years on hockey, and owners and players now aren't willing to come to an agreement on how to divide it. Because they've assumed your money will just be there, waiting for them when they get back.

Because you realize how silly it is. Because you realize it's just a game and there are more important things in life. Because you don't care about being a "Troo Fan" who has to show back up when the doors finally open and throw more money at the problem. Maybe you're realizing there's nothing wrong with being a bandwagonner, and being a fan on your own terms.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Because you've found better things to do. Because you've found other things you enjoy. Because you've spent a lot of money in the past few years on hockey, and owners and players now aren't willing to come to an agreement on how to divide it. Because they've assumed your money will just be there, waiting for them when they get back.

Because you realize how silly it is. Because you realize it's just a game and there are more important things in life. Because you don't care about being a "Troo Fan" who has to show back up when the doors finally open and throw more money at the problem. Maybe you're realizing there's nothing wrong with being a bandwagonner, and being a fan on your own terms.
Holy Erthanthou, Batman.

Pretty much everyone is already a fan on their own terms. Just everyone has different terms. Sounds like you're implying Stretch Factor doesn't have anything in his/her life that's better than following NHL hockey, and that he/she probably oughtta if, you know, he wants to be a better person.

If we're to take the poster SF quoted at his word, he will quit the NHL if games don't start by Nov. 1 (hint: they won't). If they closed the Starbucks nearest to you (hint: they won't - besides, the comparison doesn't have to be franchise-specific), would you stop drinking coffee forever?

Old
10-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Holy Erthanthou, Batman.

Pretty much everyone is already a fan on their own terms. Just everyone has different terms. Sounds like you're implying Stretch Factor doesn't have anything in his/her life that's better than following NHL hockey, and that he/she probably oughtta if, you know, he wants to be a better person.

If we're to take the poster SF quoted at his word, he will quit the NHL if games don't start by Nov. 1 (hint: they won't). If they closed the Starbucks nearest to you (hint: they won't - besides, the comparison doesn't have to be franchise-specific), would you stop drinking coffee forever?
Wasn't directed at Stretch in any derogatory way. Just trying to answer his question and give hypothetical reasons why one might feel that way.

As far as your Starbucks analogy. No if I drank coffee I'd probably just brew my own. Which is why I've spent a lot more time playing hockey than watching it. Hell, I've driven the 2 hours to Columbus to skate and see friends, a trip I would normally make to watch NHL hockey. I have AHL hockey in my home town, much of it with NHL talent. I could go, but don't. The "I want to watch hockey" pull just isn't as strong without a team to be invested in.

I know this lockout has changed my perspective on the league, and the team. To the extent I listed above, possibly, and again possibly not. I'm not fully sure, I don't have a deadline. I do know each day I find other things to do, and other things to care about.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Socks
HeadFake

To each their own, I guess, but the lockout affects me in the following way: I can't watch NHL hockey until it's resolved. There's nothing personal about it, neither the players nor the owners are out to get me, it's just annoying. When they finally come to an agreement I will make a sacrifice of thanks to the hockey gods and go on with my life as usual, only then there will be hockey instead of no hockey.

I can respect that others feel different, but that doesn't mean I understand all of the angst.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
To each their own, I guess, but the lockout affects me in the following way: I can't watch NHL hockey until it's resolved. There's nothing personal about it, neither the players nor the owners are out to get me, it's just annoying. When they finally come to an agreement I will make a sacrifice of thanks to the hockey gods and go on with my life as usual, only then there will be hockey instead of no hockey.

I can respect that others feel different, but that doesn't mean I understand all of the angst.
Well said

I post, therefore I am.
Closed Thread