HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hell of a performance by Nichols. I wish he had more than 9 minutes to work with. If only Reed wasn't a total idiot.

Speaking of which , I just heard his radio interview, and without saying it, he's pretty much confirmed Joseph is starting next week. And with his impressive 16/43 for 262 yards with 1 TD(should have been an INT) and 2 INT in his last 7+ quarters, who could question it?

Nichols, over those two games, in under 1 full quarter of work has put up 13/20 for 303 yards with 3 TDs and 1 INT.

I will legitimately punch a baby is the Eskimos start Joseph next week in a must win scenario.

If Joseph does start, I'll definitely be questioning how much longer Reed's tenure with the Eskimos will be. I see no reason to start Joseph. If he's not the best QB, then he shouldn't start. Pressure situation or not, Nichols' performance in 9 minutes has been better than Josephs in the past game and 3 quarters. The kid has been with us for 3 seasons, he has to show something now.

Ugh come on Kavis, play Nichols.

10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
Reed has to go. I have never seen a team more disorganised than this. How many times has the O not been ready for the play and end up with a time count violation.

there was no reason to go with an onside kick with over 2 minutes to go. The odds we would get a TD and a 2 pt conversion and leave no time on the clock for MTL to have enough time left to at least get into postion to kick a rouge were probably 0
to none

Last edited by Expatriate: 10-28-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: sp
Old
10-28-2012, 06:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Reed has to go. I have never seen a team more disorganised than this. How many times has the O not been ready for the play and end up with a time count violation.

there was no reason to go with an onside kick with over 2 minutes to go. The odds we would get a TD and a 2 pt conversion and leave no time on the clock for MTL to have enough time left to at least get into postion to kick a rouge were probably 0
to none
This. I just lost it. I watched the highlights on TSN and at the end Reed states Joseph is starting next week. He also said "there is a way of handling young quarterbacks, and I thought we did it the right way tonight". 10 minutes of play after Joseph stunk the joint out for his second straight game is "the right way"?

Reed needs to go. His love for his buddies Kerry and Marcus is holding the team back.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So from the CFL thread in the football forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
So basically this is it for final week:

Hamilton must win AND Edmonton must lose for Ti-Cats to make playoffs.

Edmonton wins or Hamilton loses, Eskimos are in. Eskimos are in with a tie or a Ti-Cats tie.

Eskimos win+Roughriders loss, Roughriders crossover into East playoffs.

It's basically win and your in for us. But if what s7ark says is true and Reed has said Joseph will start, we're in trouble. There is no freaking way you start Joseph after the 2 games he just had and the way Nichols played in 9 minutes. Good god.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Kyle McMahon

Well that about does it. If Kavis Reed is not fired, it's hard to imagine myself renewing my season tickets. This is just downright pathetic. Reed is Kevin Lowe and Marcus Crandell and Kerry Joseph are MacTavish and Horcoff. Hamilton will probably beat the crap out of Toronto on Thursday, and we'll have the privledge of watching the Stamps B squad end our season on Friday.

"Edmonton" and "good coaching" are two phrases that haven't been useable in the same sentence in over a decade for either team, and it doesn't look like this is ever going to change. This city is just plain ****ed for professional sports.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I doubt it. Because it looked like the bench was questioning what he did there.
Good point. A lot of people seem to think that it should have been called intentional grounding... obviously you're allowed to spike the ball in the NFL, are you not allowed in the CFL? It's not something that happens often either way.

Quote:
He showed an arm today. I gladly take all that back. Like I aready said I don't know if it was nerves and happy feet before but I saw a different Nichols today.

At least we have some hope going forward.

But yeah, I think the org HAS to start Nichols next week. Its the right thing to do afer this and Joseph is really banged up and looking like he would be on the injured list if these games weren't so critical.
Definitely an improved Nichols from the Calgary game. Calgary was able to game-plan against him so I think that plays a bit of a factor, as well, coming in as relief it looked like Montreal had a little trouble adjusting and Nichols after evading that pass-rush on his first TD to Stamps really made the Montreal D back off and send a lot less pressure.

Looks like Kavis Reed has declared KJ the starter next week though. I agree, I'm not aware of how banged up Joseph is but after what Nichols showed I don't know how you go away from him.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
AJGass4

I am so sad and disappointed with this whole season.

Just when things look good, they go bad. Just when you think we have the offensive coordinator gone, or good as gone, things look good and then bam, they look terrible. Just when a QB looks legit, he sucks. Not only does he suck, he just doesn't get pulled.

I'm a big fan of Kavis, but my patience and frustration are at an all time high. We have lost so many games and yards because of bad coaching and just being unprepared, we always started the game behiind the eight ball. Every single game it seemed we were behind on the first possession.

That being said, thanks for the updates today, I was at work and depended on you guys and thought for a moment we might pull it off.

Like the rest of you, if Joseph starts next week, I have lost all faith in Kavis and his cohorts. Maybe it's to keep Calgary guessing, but I highly doubt it.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:25 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So from the CFL thread in the football forum:

It's basically win and your in for us. But if what s7ark says is true and Reed has said Joseph will start, we're in trouble. There is no freaking way you start Joseph after the 2 games he just had and the way Nichols played in 9 minutes. Good god.
http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-hig...060#clip794060

Reed clips start at 2:33

He states Joseph will be starting.

At this point I hope Kerry is the smarter person and pulls himself from the starting role due to injuries and makes himself available as backup if Nichols struggles.

Otherwise missing the playoffs is sounding pretty likely.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
He apparently has contagious bubonic leprosy typhus plague...
That's a common injury on Tillman led teams. It was the same sham in Saskatchewan with everyone being "injured."

There certainly have been real injuries, but there's also been a whole slew of guys who have been put on the IR while being told to work on their limps in front of media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
No, don't you get it? It will again be everyone else's fault. Our QB's have been blameless according to Eskies management.
Yup, of course, when you're trying to deflect away from the RR trade..

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Disgraceful coaching staff.

O'Donnell celebrating Halloween early dressed as a turnstile.
Yeah. Tons of potential, but he's at least a year away from being a legitimate starter.

Quote:
Well I gotta line up here and take my lumps for any comments on Nichols.

That was awesome, gutsy performance and I haven't been that excited over the Eskimos in years.

Truly I didn't deserve that from Nichols as I've been on his case but man that was something.

I don't know if its been nerves before but I've never seen him throwing the ball with that kind of authority.

Nice relief pitching Nichols. That was stupendous bullpen performance, almost a magical one for the ages type ending.

Koch was held up in the endzone. That call could've happened on the 2 pt convert.

Man, lets hope these two clubs are playing in Mcgill again 3 weeks from now.

As for Joseph, hurt, multiple injuries as I stated and shouldn't have been playing.
Quote:
He showed an arm today. I gladly take all that back. Like I aready said I don't know if it was nerves and happy feet before but I saw a different Nichols today.

At least we have some hope going forward.

But yeah, I think the org HAS to start Nichols next week. Its the right thing to do afer this and Joseph is really banged up and looking like he would be on the injured list if these games weren't so critical.
And that is why Nichols should have been starting since LD.

We simply didn't know how good he is. Had not seen nearly enough snaps.

Instead we've had Kerry Joseph lead us to a whopping 2-7 record over that time.

That said, as much as Kavis is getting **** on here (and he's made a ton of mistakes), how many coaches would look good in must win games after their GM gives away his #1 QB for nothing and leaves him no suitable replacements?

Nichols looked good, but it's worth mentioning that practice reps have assuredly helped him out a ton along the way as well.

Reed (and Crandell) were given a spoon to head into a knife fight.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Good point. A lot of people seem to think that it should have been called intentional grounding... obviously you're allowed to spike the ball in the NFL, are you not allowed in the CFL? It's not something that happens often either way.

Definitely an improved Nichols from the Calgary game. Calgary was able to game-plan against him so I think that plays a bit of a factor, as well, coming in as relief it looked like Montreal had a little trouble adjusting and Nichols after evading that pass-rush on his first TD to Stamps really made the Montreal D back off and send a lot less pressure.

Looks like Kavis Reed has declared KJ the starter next week though. I agree, I'm not aware of how banged up Joseph is but after what Nichols showed I don't know how you go away from him.
Unfortunately we're in a bit of a catch 22. Calgary seemed to have all the answers to Nichols when they last played. Question now is whether some different schemes can solve those problems.

As far as today the TD pass to Stamps was a bit of fortune as far as the timing as the two Defenders tripped over each other (blessing) and giving Nichols time to hit Stamps on what was a long run play from lining up on the other side of the field. Once they got that like you say Montreal backed off but I think by then we're also more interested in prevent rather than playing agressive D. Montreal did to us pretty much what the Lions did. Bring pressure on every down.

The lack of quickhitter game just serviced the Als being able to do that. Why not bring heat everytime when we're not coming up with an answer.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:06 PM
PDO

Quote:
Unfortunately we're in a bit of a catch 22. Calgary seemed to have all the answers to Nichols when they last played. Question now is whether some different schemes can solve those problems.

As far as today the TD pass to Stamps was a bit of fortune as far as the timing as the two Defenders tripped over each other (blessing) and giving Nichols time to hit Stamps on what was a long run play from lining up on the other side of the field. Once they got that like you say Montreal backed off but I think by then we're also more interested in prevent rather than playing agressive D. Montreal did to us pretty much what the Lions did. Bring pressure on every down.

The lack of quickhitter game just serviced the Als being able to do that. Why not bring heat everytime when we're not coming up with an answer.
Of course, unlike the J&J rejects, Nichols actually tries to throw the ball to the best offensive player on the team.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Tyrolean

While Nichols performed well today, most fans are overlooking a few facts in their excitement on Nichols.

1. A bit of luck factored into the TD throw to Stamps. 2 Als collided with each other with no one blocking them, otherwise he would have been sacked.

2. Montreal defence laid back after getting a comfortable lead. They really were relaxed and possibly didn't care as much as a real game.

3. AC got over confident after passing at will in the 1st half.

4. Starting a QB is a lot different than coming in relief with nothing to lose.

This is not to detract from the great performance in less than a quarter almost getting the team back on even terms. Who knows he could have pulled out a win though.

Reed is old school as most coaches. He plays the odds in his favour by having a veteran start. He didn't say how long his leash is but I imagine it to be pretty short for the Calgary game so don't get too upset.

I can see his reasoning though I don't agree with it. Joseph should have been pulled at least in the start of the 2nd half. I am tired of this overly conservative approach to the offence.

Play to win instead and take a few chances. Recognize the inefficiencies early and adjust. Continuing to have your QB drop straight back is not confusing the defence. It took an injury to Joseph to get Nichols in. How dumb is that? Luckily he didn't put jyles in though.

Coach Reed: The fans are really upset at the Quarterbacking this year. Start Nichols and if you fail you will be forgiven. Have Joseph come out with a loss then everyone will want you fired.

Last edited by Tyrolean: 10-28-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Copperhead

That play to stamps showed some nice patience by Nichols however. I've seen Joseph make a hurried throw when he feels a little pressure; either that or immediately tuck and try to run. It's worked sometimes but no others (for example the 3rd down play).

Old
10-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
That play to stamps showed some nice patience by Nichols however. I've seen Joseph make a hurried throw when he feels a little pressure; either that or immediately tuck and try to run. It's worked sometimes but no others (for example the 3rd down play).
The mark of a good QB is to make the right decision under extreme pressure. I don't see J&J doing much of that at all.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
While Nichols preformed well today, most fans are overlooking a few facts.

1. A bit of luck factored into the TD throw to Stamps. 2 Als collided with each other with no one blocking them, otherwise he would have been sacked.

2. Montreal defence laid back after getting a comfortable lead. They really were relaxed and possibly didn't care as much as a real game.

3. AC got over confident after passing at will in the 1st half.

4. Starting a QB is a lot different than coming in relief with nothing to lose.

This is not to detract from the great performance in less than a quarter almost getting the team back on even terms. Who knows he could have pulled out a win though.

Reed is old school as most coaches. He plays the odds in his favour by having a veteran start. He didn't say how long his leash is but I imagine it to be pretty short for the Calgary game so don't get too upset.

I can see his reasoning though I don't agree with it. Joseph should have been pulled at least in the start of the 2nd half. I am tired of this overly conservative approach to the offence.

Play to win instead and take a few chances. Recognize the inefficiencies early and adjust. Continuing to have your QB drop straight back is not confusing the defence. It took an injury to Joseph to get Nichols in. How dumb is that? Luckily he didn't put jyles in though.

Coach Reed: The fans are really upset at the Quarterbacking this year. Start Nichols and if you fail you will be forgiven. Have Joseph come out with a loss then everyone will want you fired.
I believe Reed already said or inferred to the media that he will be starting Joseph next week. If the leash is as long as it has been for this entire year, he deserves to be fired. Hell, I'm gravitating to the camp that sadly, hope they lose next weekend if it's for the greater good, and we can clean house from the top down. The coaching this year has made Danny Maciocia look like he knew what he was doing. And that's saying something. I have never, ever seen such a disorganized team in my life. Pathetic is the only word I can think of right now.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
That was great by Nichols. Joseph has shown to be woefully ineffective for 2 straight games...gotta give Nichols the ball next week. At least let him play to start, knowing you have a veteran on the sideline in case he isn't getting it done.

No idea why they went with Joseph for as long as they did....could have cost them the game.

Um....I think it did.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I believe Reed already said or inferred to the media that he will be starting Joseph next week. If the leash is as long as it has been for this entire year, he deserves to be fired. Hell, I'm gravitating to the camp that sadly, hope they lose next weekend if it's for the greater good, and we can clean house from the top down. The coaching this year has made Danny Maciocia look like he knew what he was doing. And that's saying something. I have never, ever seen such a disorganized team in my life. Pathetic is the only word I can think of right now.
Sadly this has been a very bad year for the team even if they make the playoffs. It would be embarrassing to make it via the backdoor if Hamilton loses, then Esks don't have to win next week.

Making the playoffs in a pathetic way or just sneaking in should not mask all the mistakes that were made by this team this year. Bad player choices by the GM, bad strategy by the coach and assistants, and lack of discipline by the players taking tons of penalties. It's been a very bad year compounded by the major error of trading Ray and not having an adequate replacement or playing Nichols when the two vets obviously failed.

Losing is actually a good thing as we hope it accelerates the departure of some problem people.

Last edited by Tyrolean: 10-28-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old
10-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Sadly this has been a very bad year for the team even if they make the playoffs. It would be embarrassing to make it via the backdoor if Hamilton loses, the Esks don't have to win next week.

Making the playoffs in a pathetic way or just sneaking in should not mask all the mistakes that were made by this team this year. Bad player choices by the GM, bad strategy by the coach and assistants, and lack of discipline by the players taking tons of penalties. It's been a very bad year compounded by the major error of trading Ray and not having an adequate replacement or plating Nichols when the two vets obviously failed.

Losing is actually a good thing as we hope it accelarates the departure of some problem people.

They are not worthy. Even if they made the dance, it will be difficult for me to get behind them with that feeling in the pit of my stomach. It makes me sad. A once great franchise continuing it's spiral down the toilet. They must have smashed some type of record this year for pre-snap penalties. There are some good, even great pieces on this squad, but they have been so ineptly mismanaged and directed, it's hard to imagine any type of consistent success going forward.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
KJ starting next week has to be one of the stupidist (not sure that is a word) asinine things this coaching staff has done all year, and there have been alot.

In KJ's 2 wins he looked great but the last 2 games he has reverited to the KJ we have known.

Start Nichols, if he is struggling then you put in the veteran. not the other way around, FFS. So KJ starts and struggles, then the pressure is on the rookie.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH

Old
10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
They are not worthy. Even if they made the dance, it will be difficult for me to get behind them with that feeling in the pit of my stomach. It makes me sad. A once great franchise continuing it's spiral down the toilet. They must have smashed some type of record this year for pre-snap penalties. There are some good, even great pieces on this squad, but they have been so ineptly mismanaged and directed, it's hard to imagine any type of consistent success going forward.
On the contrary I would say that the players on the field and the club battling through injury are MORE worthy than any team would be with this record. We've lost several games we could've just as easily won and due to the massive injuries weve had to have 84 football players on the roster this year. Twice what you would normally have.

With much of the D its not a stretch to say this is what Team B looks like. We've not seen much of the A Team.

Calgary on the other hand has been incredibly lucky to have the record they do.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
KJ starting next week has to be one of the stupidist (not sure that is a word) asinine things this coaching staff has done all year, and there have been alot.

In KJ's 2 wins he looked great but the last 2 games he has reverited to the KJ we have known.

Start Nichols, if he is struggling then you put in the veteran. not the other way around, FFS. So KJ starts and struggles, then the pressure is on the rookie.

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH
What is it is just a ploy to throw the Stamps off? Chief Joseph plays all of one series and then it is the rookie? Cool move eh?

Old
10-28-2012, 11:03 PM
PDO

Quote:
On the contrary I would say that the players on the field and the club battling through injury are MORE worthy than any team would be with this record. We've lost several games we could've just as easily won and due to the massive injuries weve had to have 84 football players on the roster this year. Twice what you would normally have.

With much of the D its not a stretch to say this is what Team B looks like. We've not seen much of the A Team.

Calgary on the other hand has been incredibly lucky to have the record they do.
Again... most of those injuries aren't injuries.

Calgary lost their starting QB.... the Eskimo's could only have been so lucky to have Jyles and Joseph injured.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
What is it is just a ploy to throw the Stamps off? Chief Joseph plays all of one series and then it is the rookie? Cool move eh?
Yeah, I think theres a few too many over reactions here about it. Theres a lot more that goes on in a football week and all kinds of gamemanship.

A lot changes and a lot has. Wouldn't be the first time either that what Reed says and what happens in terms of personnel on game day don't match. Anybody following the RB three headed monster would know this.

Even today, Reed on TV at the half saying they're going to get Boyd going in the second half and they're going with him.

It was pure BS and possibly intended for whatever Al's personnel were listening to the telecast. Boyd got one carry, a decent one, 6yds, then they threw Messam back in.

What Reed says isn't neccessarily what occurs.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
That said, as much as Kavis is getting **** on here (and he's made a ton of mistakes), how many coaches would look good in must win games after their GM gives away his #1 QB for nothing and leaves him no suitable replacements?
The coaches get **** on due to the absolutely terrible way they've managed games that we've lost by less than a field goal, of which we are now up to 4 or 5. If we were losing games by 20 points and blaming it solely on coaching, you'd have a good point. But when you lose by one or two points in spite of brutal decisions from the sideline, it's very easy to see there's a problem. With merely adequate coaching, three losses are likely wins and we're sitting at 10-7, in spite of QB troubles. Which is the same record we had after 17 games last year.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Cerebral

Ugh, I'm almost done with this team. Reed's comment of, "We knew Nichols would be a good change of pace so we went with him" is complete and utter garbage. Nichols only went in the game because Joseph got hurt. Why didn't they bring in this "change of pace" earlier tonight or even last game if they view him as a viable option.

Nichols is also 25 years old - it's not like he's a bloody baby despite Reed's "there's a way to handle young quarterbacks" comment. Ray was thrown into the fire and quarterbacked us to a Grey Cup game at the age of 23.

If Joseph actually starts next week, I'm not sure if I'll watch the game. To put things in perspectives, Nichols almost had more passing yards in EIGHT MINUTES than Joseph has had in the last seven plus quarters!