HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Official Maine Black Bears Thread

Old
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Rob

vCash: 500
Maine 1 Boston U 1

Went to the game last night. Black Bears certainly deserved a better fate but shots on goal can be a deceiving stat at times. Millan was able to see a lot of the shots.
Oullette played well for the few shots he faced.
Van Dyk fanned on a glorious opportunity with just 6 seconds left. Think he had half the next open.

Topic for another thread but I hope the NCAA adopts 4-4 ot and shootouts. Maine started playing for the tie from the last 5 min in the 3rd. OT was dull with only one good scoring chance.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Maine receive a trio of commitments; drop in polls
Published on: 1st February, 2011 by Nathan Fournier
Quote:
The University of Maine Black Bears men’s ice hockey team received three verbal commitments on Friday as Devin Shore, a 16-year old forward, and Daniel Renouf, a 16-year old defenseman, both teammates at Hill Academy in Vaughan, Ontario gave verbal commitments to Maine along with Matt Morris, a 17-year old goaltender of the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League.
LINK>>>

Amateur player making tough decisions

Published on: 1st February, 2011 by Nathan Fournier

Quote:
In the world of amateur hockey, players have decisions to make. Do they want to turn what the NCAA calls professional hockey in the Canadian Hockey League or hold onto their NCAA eligibility by playing in the Junior A ranks.
LINK>>>

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Topic for another thread but I hope the NCAA adopts 4-4 ot and shootouts. Maine started playing for the tie from the last 5 min in the 3rd. OT was dull with only one good scoring chance.
Actually the CCHA already does that, but who knows? Maybe the other five leagues (Conferences) will adopt it in the future too.

I personally have no opinion about it one way or the other, but depending on who you ask some will want it and others won't.

One a slightly different topic...

Maine has a big series coming up this weekend vs. UNH @ the Whit. Anyone want to comment?

It should be a good one, although I know the Black Bears are missing a few guys who won't be making the trip due to injury.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Actually the CCHA already does that, but who knows? Maybe the other five leagues (Conferences) will adopt it in the future too.

I personally have no opinion about it one way or the other, but depending on who you ask some will want it and others won't.

I thought some of the resistance to adopting 4-4 OT and shutouts is the impact that it would have on rankings?

Quote:

One a slightly different topic...

Maine has a big series coming up this weekend vs. UNH @ the Whit. Anyone want to comment?

It should be a good one, although I know the Black Bears are missing a few guys who won't be making the trip due to injury.
Swept. I guess their goaltending let them down.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Maine lands another verbal commitment
Published on: 14th March, 2011 by Nathan Fournier
Quote:
For Ryan Badger his goal was always to play in Hockey East. In a few years, he will be playing in one of the premiere college hockey conferences in the country as he’s verbally committed to play for the University of Maine Black Bears in the fall of 2013 or 2014.
LINK>>>

Old
03-25-2011, 10:35 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Nyquist signs with Detroit
Published on: 25th March, 2011 by Nathan Fournier

Quote:
The Detroit Red Wings have signed University of Maine junior forward Gustav Nyquist to a two-year, two-way contract which will kick in this summer according to multiple media reports. He will join Detroit’s AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins for the remainder of the regular season on a amateur tryout contract (ATO).
LINK>>>

Old
03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Igor55

A friend of mine is looking to buy a U Maine Nyquist Jersey. We're having some trouble finding one online. Does anyone know where we can find one? Thanks

Igor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
JeffMESN
HFB Partner

Tim Whitehead "safe" for 2011-2012 season

>>>>>FULL STORY AND AUDIO

JeffMESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Parker commits to Maine
Published on: 12th May, 2011 by Nathan Fournier

Quote:
The University of Maine Black Bears men’s ice hockey team continues to rack up recruits for the 2011-2012 season.

On Wednesday, the team received a commitment from Muskegon Lumberjacks captain John Parker.

“A week and a half ago an opportunity came up to play at Maine and I was very interested, and I committed yesterday,” John Parker said on Thursday.
LINK>>>

Old
08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 965
News article: Maine-UNH appears to be part of an outdoor hockey doubleheader at Fenway.

http://www.pressherald.com/sports/fe...011-08-11.html

Quote:
Multiple sources have confirmed Jan. 7 as the date for a Hockey East doubleheader at Fenway Park involving the Black Bears and three other teams.

It will be the first time Maine has played an outdoor hockey game, and will be the second outdoor hockey event in three years involving Hockey East.

Laura Reed, the assistant athletic director for media relations at Maine, declined to comment Wednesday on an outdoor game, but when Hockey East released its schedule Friday, games between New Hampshire and Maine, and Vermont and Massachusetts, were scheduled for 7 p.m., Jan. 7.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:16 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

News and Notes from Black Bear Country
By Nathan Fournier Published: 26th September 2011

Quote:
It was a busy weekend for Maine recruits as the USHL held it’s annual preseason Fall Classic, the EJHL opened it’s season, and the two junior “A” leagues in Ontario (OJHL and CCHL) are well underway.

LINK>>>

Old
10-24-2011, 07:04 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Harris decommits Maine on technicality
By Nathan Fournier Published: 24th October 2011

Quote:
Brian Harris is no longer a future Black Bear.

The 59, 185-pound defenseman confirmed to the Maine Hockey Journal on Monday he will not be attending the University of Maine because he was unable to clear the NCAA Clearinghouse.
LINK>>>

Old
11-20-2011, 11:18 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Schurhamer’s gut takes him to Maine
By Nathan Fournier Published: 21st November 2011

Quote:
Eric Schurhamer just had that feeling.

The 17-year-old Minnesota native verbally committed to the University of Maine men’s ice hockey team for the fall of 2013 last Friday.

“It’s a great school, a great community and the coaches were great,” said Schurhamer. “I had that gut feeling when I was there. It was the right size school, not to big, not to small. I had the feeling I could see myself walking around the campus.”

LINK>>>

Old
11-23-2011, 11:58 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Black Bears future roster taking shape
By Nathan Fournier Published: 23rd November 2011

Quote:
The freshmen class for 2012 is starting to take shape for the University of Maine men’s ice hockey team.

Ryan Lomberg, last week, signed his National Letter of Intent to attend the University of Maine next season.

“It feels awesome to finally be official,” said Ryan Lomberg on signing his National Letter of Intent. “I pretty much had my mind made after I visited Maine for the first time. I fell in love with the school and the atmosphere.”
LINK>>>

Old
06-30-2012, 08:18 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

With the draft complete Shore is ready for Orono
By Nathan Fournier Published: 30th June 2012

Quote:
University of Maine recruit Devin Shore was projected to be selected in the second round of the NHL Entry Draft last weekend.

The Ajax, Ontario native just squeaked in as the final pick (61st overall) in the second round taken by the Dallas Stars.
Link>>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Black Bears release 2012-’13 roster
By Chris Roy Published: 10th July 2012

Quote:
Portland, ME – The University of Maine released its men’s ice hockey roster for the upcoming 2012-2013 season on Monday.
Link>>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
ot92s

oh good god. they're terrible.

Last edited by ot92s: 11-18-2013 at 07:17 AM.
ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

When I saw Maine in the Icebreaker vs. Notre Dame, I could see some areas of concern. But I chalked it up to be the season opener with a lot of new faces, veterans in new roles, etc. Since then, they have been really struggling. Hopefully they'll turn it around quickly. They'll get their first HE test tonight at Schneider against what looks like an improved Friars team. Not saying that Providence will win, but they will test the Black Bears you can count on that.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
BCeagle

BC vs Maine

BC will be going up to Maine and play them on Friday. They're 4-1 right now and are 2-1 on the road so far.

Let's see how the teams will match up in their first meeting of the season. I know Maine is struggling and looking for offense, while BC coming off a sweep of Lowell this past weekend.

BCeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM
ot92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
BC will be going up to Maine and play them on Friday. They're 4-1 right now and are 2-1 on the road so far.

Let's see how the teams will match up in their first meeting of the season. I know Maine is struggling and looking for offense, while BC coming off a sweep of Lowell this past weekend.
Wait til you see this roster. They are truly inept. I really hope BC strolls into orono and humiliates them. the faster we get this half-assed regime out of there the better.

The writing has been on the wall for years. Obviously the AD Abbott has no balls, he's in over his head, he needs to go. The school president is asleep at the wheel and allowing Abbott to drop the ball so he's no help. At this point I'm praying for one of the trustees to get a pair and say enough is enough.

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote