HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Will You Miss Most about NVMC

Old
10-25-2012, 10:39 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
The memories and the enviornment when the barn was filled to capacity.... It was a mad house during the playoffs and had to be one of the most loudest buildings in hockey. It actually shook when I was there during the Buffalo series

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Steve55

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...#disqus_thread

Hub development a challenge as Isles quit
Originally published: October 25, 2012 9:11 PM
Updated: October 25, 2012 10:07 PM
By ROBERT BRODSKY robert.brodsky@newsday.com

The impending departure of the New York Islanders for their new home in Brooklyn has left the fate of the Nassau Coliseum in doubt, and sports economists, local developers and lawmakers are divided on whether the 40-year-old arena can stay open past 2015.
Islanders owner Charles Wang announced Wednesday that the team had signed a 25-year lease with the Barclays Center beginning with the 2015-16 season...

"I can't see any positive scenario where it would survive without a professional sports team," said developer Scott Rechler, Wang's partner in the failed $3.8 billion Lighthouse Project for the 77-acre Hub property. Wang and Rechler abandoned the project in 2009 after the Town of Hempstead said it was too dense.
The track record of arenas remaining viable after losing a pro team is poor, with many shutting their doors after years of making little profit, said Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist at Smith College in Northampton, Mass.

Sounds like the circus is still going on....

Last edited by Homeland Security: 10-26-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Shortened article.
Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:39 AM
wingnutks

December 28th, 1991... I was 9, the first game I have ever seen in person, it was a Christmas present. Islanders vs Rangers. Ray Ferraro, my favorite player of all time scored the game winning goal with 3 seconds left in the 3rd period... Isles win 5-4. It. Was. Awesome.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:58 PM
RichOnTheLI

Beside having an NHL team in my backyard, two things come to mind.

When we finally got back into the playoffs for the first time in a while! I can't remember the date, but we were beating Washington 6-0 I believe, then the Caps came all the way back to make it 6-5. We held on for the win and the 3 stars of the game were Claude Lapointe, Kenny Jonsson, and Steve Webb!

Another game I'll never forget was a game maybe 8 years against the Blackhawks in the middle of a blizzard! Charles Wang was handing out the promotional Islanders hats and serving free hot chocolate. Also free parking for that game was awesome too!

It seemed like the each section had about 5-10 people for that game and I believe we ended up winning!

Reading all your stories makes me real emotional about this move. I'm crushed that it will become a hassle to attend the games in BK. Especially after a long day at work, at night, and in the cold.

I wish things would have turned out better for us Long Islanders, but I guess this team deserved a first-class arena and unfortunately. it wasn't going to be here on the Island.

Honk, Honk, Honk Honk Honk!

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I will miss absolutely nothing about this dump.. I hated driving from Queens to come see games here. I went to 3 rock concerts which were fun. They will only be 20 mins away from my house and I can literally take the bus right in front.

Only thing the Nassau Residents should miss is there Tax Bill cause after 2015 it will go higher!! I wonder what they plan on doing to the place afterwards. I hope a developer buys out Wangs lease and we can leave tomorrow!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...#disqus_thread

Hub development a challenge as Isles quit
Originally published: October 25, 2012 9:11 PM
Updated: October 25, 2012 10:07 PM
By ROBERT BRODSKY robert.brodsky@newsday.com

The impending departure of the New York Islanders for their new home in Brooklyn has left the fate of the Nassau Coliseum in doubt, and sports economists, local developers and lawmakers are divided on whether the 40-year-old arena can stay open past 2015.
Islanders owner Charles Wang announced Wednesday that the team had signed a 25-year lease with the Barclays Center beginning with the 2015-16 season...

"I can't see any positive scenario where it would survive without a professional sports team," said developer Scott Rechler, Wang's partner in the failed $3.8 billion Lighthouse Project for the 77-acre Hub property. Wang and Rechler abandoned the project in 2009 after the Town of Hempstead said it was too dense.
The track record of arenas remaining viable after losing a pro team is poor, with many shutting their doors after years of making little profit, said Andrew Zimbalist, a sports economist at Smith College in Northampton, Mass.

Sounds like the circus is still going on....
Wasn't Rechler supporting a proposal that did not include a home for the Isles? He has a vested interested in proactively seeing an ambivalence on part of the residents towards the NVMC.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:02 PM
DanNYI2191

The ******** who go in the wrong door to the bathroom and cut the line

Leaking ceilings closing sections at a time

Nearly dying when trying to walk to your car/pull out onto Hempstead Turnpike

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote