HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
pots another goal!

Ties the game up against the Raiders.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Wonder where all the 'he's off to such a slow start' people are now?

The kid is finally getting some pucks to find the net for him. Good for him, his stats don't justify just how well he's played so far this season.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Konk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

The kid is finally getting some pucks to find the net for him. Good for him, his stats don't justify just how well he's played so far this season.
Did you really expect them to still be around after a week? HFers love to hate from a distance without actually watching these kids.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:07 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

what do you mean there's no transition period, he's a 2nd round pick obviously

Old
10-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Exit Dose

Glad to see Seth is cooking.

I hope the WHL has their website fixed. They tried charging me the live price when I tried buying the game where he had his first goal.

I take it that Jones is still killing it in the defensive zone?

Old
10-12-2012, 11:34 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

am i the only one who thinks his mobility could use a little work? he seems "lumber" around the ice. with a little more fluidity to his stride, he could be the total package.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:45 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

im still here.... nice to see him put up numbers though, hate to see anyone struggle

Old
10-13-2012, 03:59 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Was this game on Sportsnet tonight? If not, which game was? When I cycled thru, I thought I saw baseball.

Old
10-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Hey hey...I've been here and defending his ass too!

Seriously glad the guy got the monkey off the back, can't wait for him to kill it!

10-28-2012, 10:14 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

thought Seth had a strong game against Tri-City tonight...

short highlight of Jones' work tonight can be seen here:

https://twitter.com/antontibaldi/sta...53563032293376

Old
10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
thought Seth had a strong game against Tri-City tonight...

short highlight of Jones' work tonight can be seen here:

https://twitter.com/antontibaldi/sta...53563032293376
I love that play to create space on the second goal. So simple but effective.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:48 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Jones scored an incredible goal a few minutes ago...just got it uploaded.

https://twitter.com/antontibaldi/sta...49826796576768

amazing mobility/hands for a big man.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Nice goal. Am watching the game on delay right now so haven't seen it yet.

He was exposed on the 1st Everett goal tonight. He let Bauml sneak in behind him and then couldn't out-muscle him once the puck was thrown on net.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:59 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
That is a sick goal, loved the faked move to the outside and then cut on the inside.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:30 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
That is a sick goal, loved the faked move to the outside and then cut on the inside.
yea, 6'3 200+ defenceman aren't supposed to be able to do that

Old
11-01-2012, 02:53 AM
puckfan13

That goal looked like it involved quite a bit of instinct and "just going for it." Love to see that in this kind of prospect because usually they are so measured and conservative on D, especially these big tall guys.

Never saw Pietrangelo in his draft year, but is that something he would go for/pull off? What about Hamilton?

Jones literally took off from behind his own goal line the second he saw the puck moving in a forward direction out of that scrum, looks like something Murphy or Ellis would do, not a giant. I know it's just one play but looks very promising, I hope that's something he's doing a few times a game at least. I see guys like Reinhart, and have seen guys like Cowen who are similar sizes in the Dub, they will/would rarely ever do stuff like that. They play so conservative. Don't think big Swedish guys like Larsson/Hedman would do it too often either, correct me if I'm wrong though. Adds a whole other dimension which is extremely exciting.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:15 AM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
That goal looked like it involved quite a bit of instinct and "just going for it." Love to see that in this kind of prospect because usually they are so measured and conservative on D, especially these big tall guys.

Never saw Pietrangelo in his draft year, but is that something he would go for/pull off? What about Hamilton?

Jones literally took off from behind his own goal line the second he saw the puck moving in a forward direction out of that scrum, looks like something Murphy or Ellis would do, not a giant. I know it's just one play but looks very promising, I hope that's something he's doing a few times a game at least. I see guys like Reinhart, and have seen guys like Cowen who are similar sizes in the Dub, they will/would rarely ever do stuff like that. They play so conservative. Don't think big Swedish guys like Larsson/Hedman would do it too often either, correct me if I'm wrong though. Adds a whole other dimension which is extremely exciting.
Pietrangelo was a bit different. Crazy skilled, but what really stood out was that he was a very smooth, composed, "make it look easy" type, with an extremely high hockey IQ. You wouldn't really see him try to dangle a guy 1 on 1 like that, at least not on a regular basis.

As for Hamilton, I would say his offensive skill at 17 wasn't quite there with Pietrangelo or Jones. Nice shot, good skater, maybe more willing to use his size than the other two, but I wouldn't say he was as smooth a puck handler or puck mover as Pietrangelo or Jones, and you wouldn't see him trying to dangle guys on a regular basis.

Old
11-01-2012, 03:21 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Pietrangelo was a bit different. Crazy skilled, but what really stood out was that he was a very smooth, composed, "make it look easy" type, with an extremely high hockey IQ. You wouldn't really see him try to dangle a guy 1 on 1 like that, at least not on a regular basis.

As for Hamilton, I would say his offensive skill at 17 wasn't quite there with Pietrangelo or Jones. Nice shot, good skater, maybe more willing to use his size than the other two, but I wouldn't say he was as smooth a puck handler or puck mover as Pietrangelo or Jones, and you wouldn't see him trying to dangle guys on a regular basis.
Yeah that's what I was thinking with Pietrangelo, he's much more cerebral and plays a flawless calculated game that's one step ahead. Pietro is honestly like a QB on the ice in a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady sort of way but Jones seems like he can mobilize or make the smart heady play like a Robert Griffin III, hate to make a racial comparison like that, I hate it and not intended whatsoever, but it just popped into my head as a style of play sort of thing.

Defensemen are definitely my favorite kind of prospect, love seeing them develop and making smart plays using their hockey sense and raw talent. It's really the foundation of any good hockey game - starts at the back-end.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
kyle44

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Jones scored an incredible goal a few minutes ago...just got it uploaded.

https://twitter.com/antontibaldi/sta...49826796576768

amazing mobility/hands for a big man.
His combination of size, skill, and speed is just plain unfair

Old
11-01-2012, 09:35 AM
weems

I've been using the Pietrangelo on steroids comparison for awhile.

I still think Jones is the best talent in the draft.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Given that you're all watching the Winterhawks games and keeping a keen eye on Seth, who I believe is an incredible talent, would you be able to shed some light on how Derrick Pouliot is playing?

Expectations are quite high for Derrick (in Pittsburgh at least, given where he was chosen and what he cost us). Its his 3rd season in the WHL and although he'd 10 months older than Seth, I wonder how they are playing in comparison. Derrick has slowed down as soon as Seth started to pick up his game. Weird...

Any insight on Derrick would be greatly appreciated.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Given that you're all watching the Winterhawks games and keeping a keen eye on Seth, who I believe is an incredible talent, would you be able to shed some light on how Derrick Pouliot is playing?

Expectations are quite high for Derrick (in Pittsburgh at least, given where he was chosen and what he cost us). Its his 3rd season in the WHL and although he'd 10 months older than Seth, I wonder how they are playing in comparison. Derrick has slowed down as soon as Seth started to pick up his game. Weird...

Any insight on Derrick would be greatly appreciated.
I would recommend bumping a Pouliot thread instead of looking for opinions on him in here. But, I will say that I watched Portland a bunch early in the season and he was very good. Stood out a lot, made some great rushes and was much more physical than I ever saw from him.

The last couple viewings of Portland he hasn't been as noticeable to me. But with their talent on D it's pretty easy to get a bit lost in the shuffle. Still confident he will be a great pro and potentially an elite offensive D.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I would recommend bumping a Pouliot thread instead of looking for opinions on him in here. But, I will say that I watched Portland a bunch early in the season and he was very good. Stood out a lot, made some great rushes and was much more physical than I ever saw from him.

The last couple viewings of Portland he hasn't been as noticeable to me. But with their talent on D it's pretty easy to get a bit lost in the shuffle. Still confident he will be a great pro and potentially an elite offensive D.
Thanks... and I'll bump the Pouliot thread like you recommended.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:44 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

embedded:

Old
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Best part about that goal is his edge work when he makes the move around the defender -- that's some unreal lateral skating for a player of his size and position.

Closed Thread