HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

About Tuomo, try to understand this.

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2003, 03:43 PM
-HIFK-

vCash:
About Tuomo, try to understand this.

If any of you reading this have access to write on Hawk Talk at Blackhawkzone.com, feel free to pass my message on there. I havenīt registered there, and want to say something about Tuomo Ruutu, because obviously some writers there just donīt have a clue. And of course Iīm happy to get my point across here as well.

I get so frustrated reading how Blackhawk-fans on Hawk Talk write about Tuomo Ruutu "holding out" for two years. I mean can you imagine, he was as old as 20 when he "finally" decided to come to Chicago.

WTF? Is it some kind of obligation for an 18-year old to sign for an NHL-team straight away after being drafted? Ever heard it might be a good idea to develop in the Finnish League for example, before making the leap into the big league?

Knowing Tuomo well, I can tell you it was never about the money, itīs all about the game. He didnīt even know the situation with his contract negotiations, because he had his mind set on playing in Finland, and moving on when heīs ready. He just wanted to develop, then come do his best for the Blackhawks.

In the summer of 2002, Tuomo signed for HIFK, which meant heīd spend another year in Finland. Again, some of you people in North-America see it as holding out. While in fact Tuomo Ruutu signed for HIFK long before the NHL-season even began, with his goals set at succeeding with HIFK. The NHL was never even an option for Tuomo back then. He just wanted to play for HIFK, the team he "grew up" in, because he was going to get a significant role in the team. There was never even a thought about him holding out back here. It was all about playing in the SM-liiga, which is perfectly natural for a young player. You see it as him holding out for more money, thinking heīs "the perfect player", while in reality Tuomo would rather stay here because he himself thinks "Iīm not ready for the NHL yet."

I can imagine, how Hawks fans were posting on Hawk Talk back in 2002: "Tuomo, that cocky kid, decided to hold out for another year, so he can make more money." Well, guess what. Like I said, back here Tuomo hadnīt really even considered coming to Chicago. Here in Finland, where it all happened, we saw him as nothing else but a superbly talented young athlete and person, ready to make his final break-through in the Finnish SM-liiga. Which he did, although that *****ing knee-injury cut his season short.

Phew.. I had to get this off my chest. Itīs just funny how you see things so differently, reading only what they say in the media. Itīs only perfectly natural, I mean, how could you know whatīs going on with a kid living half-way around the world?

Iīve played and spent a big part of my youth with Tuomo, and Iīll say this again. Heīs the most sincere person and hardest-working athlete there is. At least I canīt imagine anyone having more heart and commitment than Tuomo.

Edit: How many times did I use the term "Hold out"...?

Last edited by -HIFK-: 12-01-2003 at 03:53 PM.

Old
12-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
this is about 9 months too late... lol...

Old
12-01-2003, 03:56 PM
-HIFK-

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
this is about 9 months too late... lol...
Well, late or not, there seems to be quite a lot of people who still see him holding out when he stayed here. Someone who thinks heīs the best in the world? I still havenīt heard Tuomo say anything like that...

Old
12-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Hawkalyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIFK-
Well, late or not, there seems to be quite a lot of people who still see him holding out when he stayed here. Someone who thinks heīs the best in the world? I still havenīt heard Tuomo say anything like that...

people are getting on him because he has 3 points and is -11 this season, which i think is BS because if you see him play, you know he's not gonna be some Ty Jones, he looks better every game he plays, even with Nichol and Moen

as for the "best player in the world", wasn't that misquoted for "best player not in the NHL?"

i dunno TSN isnt reliable with these types of things

Old
12-01-2003, 07:53 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIFK-
I get so frustrated reading how Blackhawk-fans on Hawk Talk write about Tuomo Ruutu "holding out" for two years. I mean can you imagine, he was as old as 20 when he "finally" decided to come to Chicago.

WTF? Is it some kind of obligation for an 18-year old to sign for an NHL-team straight away after being drafted? Ever heard it might be a good idea to develop in the Finnish League for example, before making the leap into the big league?
Someone else who thinks like I do?

Many many Hawk fans complained that he should have been in the NHL at 18. I disagreed then, and I still do. He wasn't ready to play in the NHL at 18 or 19 years old. Few players are. Last year, I think Ruutu should have at least come to training camp, then went back to Finland to play the season.

I haven't heard any Blackhawks fans complain that Brent Seabrook wasn't signed and in the NHL at 18. Perhaps some people have learned that this isn't basketball or football where every player comes into the top league right after being drafted.

Old
12-07-2003, 04:25 PM
TomHBlain

Send a message via AIM to TomHBlain
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuer007
who cares hes sucks anyways. most over-rated hawks prospect of all time
After playing in 20+ NHL games, you can make the distinction that he sucks? Wow, that's something else. How about we give the kid a couple years before we go off calling him the most over-rated hawk of all time.

Old
12-07-2003, 08:55 PM
kidchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuer007
who cares hes sucks anyways. most over-rated hawks prospect of all time
wasn't that dan cleary?? or reto van arx?? i like Tuomo and watching him start to fit in with ABC and other young guys on your team, he may end up just being the heart and soul in about five years. you are too quick to pass judgement like that. your draft history is a little shady there pardner. tuomo is a true top prospect.

Closed Thread