HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

10/26 - NHLPA Statement from Don Fehr

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2012, 09:11 PM
  #451
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPHabsFan View Post
So then you're, and the pa's, comments about how their deal can save the owners hundreds of millions of dollars is what exactly. I'll be nice and say......"hopefull"
It seems pretty likely to me.

Quote:

They only save that much if revenue is at 7.1%. If it's at 6% growth then they don't save any. True if it's more than that they save more but at best the odds are 50/50.
Im speaking in general about the concept, if that is agreed upon, the numbers can be found.

If the players take a 2% raise from last year salaries, instead of continuing with the current cba, as long as revenues increase more than 2%, the owners are saving money and working towards their goal of 50-50

Then if they freeze their salaries for 3 years and revenues grow by anything over 0.1%, the owners are ahead and achieving their goal.

Now the argument against that is the risk that revenues dont grow by 2%? Well sit out the year, and yeah, that will be self fulfilling.


Quote:
Lastly, as has been pointed out, there has been no talk about salary freezes because the NHL needs immediate relief .
Bull chips! And the only supporting document you have for that is an article on the pro business website that the author admits is a guess and the owners have disowned as completey fabricated.

We know thats not true. They WANT it because the other leagues locked out their players, sued against the union decertifying, and eventually won it.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:23 PM
  #452
LPHabsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
It seems pretty likely to me.



Im speaking in general about the concept, if that is agreed upon, the numbers can be found.

If the players take a 2% raise from last year salaries, instead of continuing with the current cba, as long as revenues increase more than 2%, the owners are saving money and working towards their goal of 50-50

Then if they freeze their salaries for 3 years and revenues grow by anything over 0.1%, the owners are ahead and achieving their goal.

Now the argument against that is the risk that revenues dont grow by 2%? Well sit out the year, and yeah, that will be self fulfilling.




Bull chips! And the only supporting document you have for that is an article on the pro business website that the author admits is a guess and the owners have disowned as completey fabricated.

We know thats not true. They WANT it because the other leagues locked out their players, sued against the union decertifying, and eventually won it.
Well, I'M saying they need it because I have the ability to look past the rhetoric and I've identified that as the key component to their endgame towards a new CBA. Whether or not they actually need it is up in the air. There's enough chatter out there, including from Fehr himself, that supports the fact that there are teams in the red. How many and how much is debatable. Your claim that they it because that's what the other league have is just speculation. At least on the side claiming losses, there are numerous sources who have stated teams are losing money. If you want to believe them fine, if not that's ok too. I am ok with accepting Forbes, Mcguire, Friedman, the ex CLB gm who's on sportsnet who's name is escaping me as enough sources to say that while they are not 100% accruate, they do give a decent enough picture to have an idea of what's going on. On the other hand, has anyone with credibility stated that the NHL want's 50/50 simply because the other leagues have it?

As far as your salary freeze idea, it's actually not that bad and could work. The problem is, what you said just now is completely different than anything you've said before (in the context of our conversation). Nowhere in your idea before regarding salary freezes was there any sort of condition based on revenue growth. If there are conditions based on reduced raises depending on growth, that minimizes the risks for the owners and might be acceptable. You know what we call that though? Tying increases to revenue? Linkage.

And regardless as to whether you or the PA thinks it's "likely", at the end of the day you can just easily say there proposal will result in a 52% player share as it would a 62% player share.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
  #453
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... you with this "high school dropout" stuff again huh? Is a high school diploma some sort of badge of intelligence & intellect? Some people just dont "fit in", real life starting early or whatever. Hell, Bruce Springsteen up there in your avy barely made it through HS and only did so because his old man wouldve killed him if he hadnt, kicked out of classes, transferred around, didnt even bother attending his Graduation. Would you suggest as well that Quentin Tarantino, Russel Crowe, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Charlize Theron, Jim Carrey, Richard Branson, Henry Ford, J.D. Rockefeller, the Wright Brothers & Albert Einstein amongst the countless millions were/are also incapable of grasping basic economic issues as well?
lol, what does this post even mean? Because some people have been successful in the entertainment industry doesn't mean that they're smart economically.

And listing people from the turn of the century, where schooling is nothing like it is now, doesn't help your argument, lol.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:27 PM
  #454
ScottyBowman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
lol, what does this post even mean? Because some people have been successful in the entertainment industry doesn't mean that they're smart economically.

And listing people from the turn of the century, where schooling is nothing like it is now, doesn't help your argument, lol.
A lot of people with college degrees are complete fools with their money.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
  #455
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga
 
thinkwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,237
vCash: 500
A lot of people that own pro sports teams are fools with their money

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:24 PM
  #456
Lobotomizer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
A lot of people that own pro sports teams are fools with their money
The difference in this lockout is that those owners are smart enough not to open their mouths like the players to confirm their foolishness.

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:28 PM
  #457
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evergreen Dr
Posts: 27,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
The difference in this lockout is that those owners are smart enough not to open their mouths like the players to confirm their foolishness.
Having to fork over $500,000 for speaking openly may have something to do with it.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:29 PM
  #458
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick
 
KEEROLE Vatanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14,230
vCash: 500
I'm tired of statements and PR swag, get a damn deal done the players resolve won't be so strong when they lose several game checks, over essentially a small paycut.......idiots!!!

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:30 PM
  #459
Iggy77
Registered User
 
Iggy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Having to fork over $500,000 for speaking openly may have something to do with it.
NHLPA should fine their own players for saying stupid things.

They'd be easily able to raise enough money to make themselves whole and save us from having to listen to them whine and complain.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:32 PM
  #460
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,793
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
NHLPA should fine their own players for saying stupid things.

They'd be easily able to raise enough money to make themselves whole and save us from having to listen to them whine and complain.
The players are kinda getting fined one season of salary for not letting the adults talk this through in private.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:55 PM
  #461
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evergreen Dr
Posts: 27,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
NHLPA should fine their own players for saying stupid things.

They'd be easily able to raise enough money to make themselves whole and save us from having to listen to them whine and complain.

I disagree that they "should." I wish the NHL allowed the owners to speak on the topic as well. It would be illuminating to hear their own views on why the league needed to take this path.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:00 AM
  #462
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I disagree that they "should." I wish the NHL allowed the owners to speak on the topic as well. It would be illuminating to hear their own views on why the league needed to take this path.
They took that path because they wanted to be adults and take the high road.

__________________
Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:03 AM
  #463
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evergreen Dr
Posts: 27,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
They took that path because they wanted to be adults and take the high road.

Adults don't need to be gagged. What is Bettman afraid they might say?


What could an owner possibly say that warrants him not being allowed to talk about the team/business he paid hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire (or currently valued as such)?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:06 AM
  #464
Master Shake
Registered User
 
Master Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Donald Fehr is one of the worst things to happen to pro sports. I cannot stand him.

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:07 AM
  #465
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Adults don't need to be gagged. What is Bettman afraid they might say?


What could an owner possibly say that warrants him not being allowed to talk about the team/business he paid hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire (or currently valued as such)?
Clearly they do. The players arguing with fans on twitter and mouthing away in interviews is making them look childish and unprofessional.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:09 AM
  #466
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evergreen Dr
Posts: 27,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Clearly they do. The players arguing with fans on twitter and mouthing away in interviews is making them look childish and unprofessional.

What is Bettman afraid they might say? The gag is very real and it can cost an owner a huge sum of money.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
  #467
mranderson
Registered User
 
mranderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Now the argument against that is the risk that revenues dont grow by 2%?

Well sit out the year, and yeah, that will be self fulfilling.
I'm not sure there is actually rebuttal in there.

mranderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
  #468
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
What is Bettman afraid they might say? The gag is very real and it can cost an owner a huge sum of money.
Who knows what they may or not say. For all we know, some of the media's NHL "sources" could be owners speaking out. I can't imagine them being against what Bettman has done thusfar.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
  #469
Master Shake
Registered User
 
Master Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
What is Bettman afraid they might say? The gag is very real and it can cost an owner a huge sum of money.
Because he is busy negotiating on behalf of 30 guys over a multi billion dollar business. He doesnt need some idiot blabbering off to the press about this or that.

Answer this, what possible GOOD could even remotely come from an owner talking to the media?? NONE from the collective owners perspective.. Now you have your answer

Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:15 AM
  #470
Lobotomizer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Having to fork over $500,000 for speaking openly may have something to do with it.
Perhaps Fehr should take a look at using the same method...it would eliminate the need for the waffling by players such as Suter.

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:19 AM
  #471
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Perhaps Fehr should take a look at using the same method...it would eliminate the need for the waffling by players such as Suter.
I don't understand why he didn't. They are just coming across as uneducated and juvenile on twitter. If I was Fehr, after the first or second idiotic comment by a player, I'd put them on a gag order.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:22 AM
  #472
Lobotomizer*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Adults don't need to be gagged. What is Bettman afraid they might say?


What could an owner possibly say that warrants him not being allowed to talk about the team/business he paid hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire (or currently valued as such)?
And what would be positive towards the completion of a new CBA by the owners speaking out in public? All they would do is engage in the same stupidity that the players continue to show daily.

You continue to be blind to the fact that those owners who are simply pawns in Bettman's game are the ones who hired him...do you think that Bettman created the "no talk" policy without consulting the owners? Are some of the owners disgruntled? I'm sure there are a number of owners who are not in favor of the lockout. Are there players who don't want to see the lockout continue? Darn straight there is...why haven't we heard their voice? Oh, that's right, they are following the union line. Just like the owners...

Lobotomizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:26 AM
  #473
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evergreen Dr
Posts: 27,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
I'm not sure there is actually rebuttal in there.
If you lose the entire year, then yes, growth might be affected.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Who knows what they may or not say. For all we know, some of the media's NHL "sources" could be owners speaking out. I can't imagine them being against what Bettman has done thusfar.
Exactly. So let them have a voice. I frankly like hearing it from the source(s) instead of the appointed guy who doesn't actually run any team businesses.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
Perhaps Fehr should take a look at using the same method...it would eliminate the need for the waffling by players such as Suter.
Let each man be judged according to his own actions and words. Furthermore, the head of the PA is there to represent them in collective bargaining agreements, nothing more. They have agents to manage their contracts, and probably other professionals for investments or legal needs at the individual level.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:29 AM
  #474
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Evergreen Dr
Posts: 27,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
And what would be positive towards the completion of a new CBA by the owners speaking out in public? All they would do is engage in the same stupidity that the players continue to show daily.

You continue to be blind to the fact that those owners who are simply pawns in Bettman's game are the ones who hired him...do you think that Bettman created the "no talk" policy without consulting the owners? Are some of the owners disgruntled? I'm sure there are a number of owners who are not in favor of the lockout. Are there players who don't want to see the lockout continue? Darn straight there is...why haven't we heard their voice? Oh, that's right, they are following the union line. Just like the owners...
You want to rewrite this post? Are they pawns or not?

Why are you sure that some owners don't favor the lockout?

As for whose voice can be heard, the players can choose to speak or not. The owners risk losing $500,000 if they choose to speak.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:33 AM
  #475
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 81,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
If you lose the entire year, then yes, growth might be affected.




Exactly. So let them have a voice. I frankly like hearing it from the source(s) instead of the appointed guy who doesn't actually run any team businesses.






Let each man be judged according to his own actions and words. Furthermore, the head of the PA is there to represent them in collective bargaining agreements, nothing more. They have agents to manage their contracts, and probably other professionals for investments or legal needs at the individual level.
Why should they have to speak up? If they weren't gagged and they were all speaking out in favor of what Bettman is doing, would you claim that he ordered them to say that?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.