HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How sick is Mike Ilitch?

Old
10-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
He looks very, very frail. He has a wig it appears, and some dark areas running along his cheekbone. I think I know what that means.

I hope the Tigers can win it for Mr I. He gave us two decades of winning and pride in being Red Wings fans.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:22 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

he gave an interview to the News talking about how a World Series win would complete his life... he's said it before, but this just feels different as though it's literally the only thing keeping him alive.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 01:47 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He looks very, very frail. He has a wig it appears, and some dark areas running along his cheekbone. I think I know what that means.

I hope the Tigers can win it for Mr I. He gave us two decades of winning and pride in being Red Wings fans.
Not saying the end point is wrong, but have heard he has had a wig for years. The first time I heard someone point that out was in the early 90's.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
Mike and Marian have set the example for both the Tigers and Wings for a long time; these folks lead by example with integrity, humility, and respect, and are one of the reasons why I've come to love both teams even more during their tenure as owners. Whatever their future and legacy may hold, I hope their mark is felt strongly upon these teams for generations to come; may they always espouse the example set forth by Mike and Marian, and may young fans everywhere echo their values.

Go Tigers!

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Fenway

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert View Post
Mike and Marian have set the example for both the Tigers and Wings for a long time; these folks lead by example with integrity, humility, and respect, and are one of the reasons why I've come to love both teams even more during their tenure as owners. Whatever their future and legacy may hold, I hope their mark is felt strongly upon these teams for generations to come; may they always espouse the example set forth by Mike and Marian, and may young fans everywhere echo their values.

Go Tigers!
Here is all you need to know about Mike.

When the Wings finally won the Cup in 1997, Mike wanted to sent his condolences to Don Cherry who had just lost his beloved Rose.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Really is a shame the Tigers couldn't send him out on a winning note (yeah, I know the series isn't over... but come on guys, really). He's done so much for this city and for the Wings, he deserves it.

Bless you Mr. I.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

He better hold out for another year.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:56 AM
chances14

My best friend's dad who is close with Babcock says illitch has been battling cancer. It's too bad the tigers are pulling a 1995 red wings and completely fallen apart. Who knows if he makes it another year.

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

It's kind of weird how much more success he had with the Wings. At times, it seemed he really spent more money and attention on them.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Lest us not forget, the '03 Tigers happened on his watch. Not that it was even really his fault, but nevertheless...

It's a shame. It really is. I feel bad for him right now, because this was probably their last shot before he passes on (I mean, judging by what people are saying, anyway; who knows for sure). Hopefully if we make it back next year, they'll at least put fourth a better than they did here. This... this is sour, that's for sure.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

I don't follow baseball, but were the Giants heavily favored? Were they just a much better/ stronger team?

Old
10-29-2012, 03:01 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
I don't follow baseball, but were the Giants heavily favored? Were they just a much better/ stronger team?
Tigers were slight favorites before the series started. However, the Giants ended up being the far superior team over the course of the past 4 days. Our pitching gave the Tigers a chance, but the offense was miserable. The long layoff in between series clearly hurt the Tigers badly. The Giants came in with a lot of momentum and they didn't let their foot off the gas. The Tigers were never supposed to make it to the World Series though, so in the end, they still had a good season, despite the pathetic finish.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The Wings need to be close to Windsor Transit - how many STH's are from Ontario? The Wings unlike Buffalo have never said.

JLA needs to be replaced - it is a clone of the Hartford Civic Center.

I wish I had seen a game at Olympia but at least I saw it inside but I had to take a swine flu shot in 1976 to do so. Olympia was very similar to Boston Garden and even shared the same scoreboard.
MOD

1. Not many STH are from Ontario... I am a STH and have had many convos with Patrick Ducharme, Bob Proberts attorney (sits next to me)...Surprisingly, only 4-5% of STH are from Ontario. Of the 4-5%, majority of them have business in Detroit and stay on this side of the boarder..

2. The Wings are as close to Winsdor as they can get, lodged between the tunnel and bridge...Only option left is to build on Belle Isle...Then all you canadians can swim over to watch hockey

3. JLA is a classic hockey building. For those that go to hockey games for the arena, and or for a short bathroom line, arent there for hockey. JLA is one of the best places to watch hockey. Run down, yes, but so is Wrigley Field... And dont you hate on the Hartford Civic Center, home of the best Goal Horn ever...

Last edited by Fugu: 10-29-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: play nicely
Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:30 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Tigers were slight favorites before the series started. However, the Giants ended up being the far superior team over the course of the past 4 days. Our pitching gave the Tigers a chance, but the offense was miserable. The long layoff in between series clearly hurt the Tigers badly. The Giants came in with a lot of momentum and they didn't let their foot off the gas. The Tigers were never supposed to make it to the World Series though, so in the end, they still had a good season, despite the pathetic finish.
Don't want to turn this into a Tiger thread, but you hit the nail on the head.
San Fran's hitting wasn't that much better than ours, but they got hits when they needed them, and they did all the little things right like bunting and stealing bags when the situation called for it.
Meanwhile, the Tigers pretty much did everything wrong, like sending your biggest and slowest runner home when there's no outs.
Or not laying down bunts.
Or keeping a righty, who's hitting .063 in the game to face another righty instead of putting in a lefty, etc, etc.

I hope for Mr.I's sake they can find a way to return next year, but I have my doubts.
Even with a high payroll, playing in the worst division in baseball and having some of the finest talent in the world on one team, this team seems to crap the bed far too often.

I'm coming dangerously close to bashing Leyland, so I'll end this thread by saying Go Tigers, Go Wings, and I pray that Mr. Illitch gets to live to see the Tigers win a World Series.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:53 PM
JackieTreehorn

Quote:
Quite simply the tigers crapped the bed similar as to the last series vs the cardinals. This series didnt have the beautiful fielding errors last time nut other than that it was a mirrors image.

Give me a break guys about them being about equal. The layoff, they choked anything they didnt come to play. Barry freakin Zito shut them down like it was nothin. I undersyand he had a good start in the nlcs he still sucks so bad he isnt worthy of a playoff roster spot. Comparing Madison Bumgarner to dog crap lately is a favorable comparison to Bumgarner. His October era including the 2 hit tigers shutout was 6. Pablo Sandoval hit 12 hrs the whole year and hit 3 in game 1.

Its a shame with Illitch that the Tigers werent ready. Hopefuloloy he can last another year and they make it back.

JackieTreehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
Quite simply the tigers crapped the bed similar as to the last series vs the cardinals. This series didnt have the beautiful fielding errors last time nut other than that it was a mirrors image.

Give me a break guys about them being about equal. The layoff, they choked anything they didnt come to play. Barry freakin Zito shut them down like it was nothin. I undersyand he had a good start in the nlcs he still sucks so bad he isnt worthy of a playoff roster spot. Comparing Madison Bumgarner to dog crap lately is a favorable comparison to Bumgarner. His October era including the 2 hit tigers shutout was 6. Pablo Sandoval hit 12 hrs the whole year and hit 3 in game 1.

Its a shame with Illitch that the Tigers werent ready. Hopefuloloy he can last another year and they make it back.
How drunk are you?

Tigers crapped the bed, I agree.

As for Bumgarner, rough October or not, that kid is one of the better starting pitchers in baseball. The kinda guy who can be in a funk and then snap out of it with a gem. Which is perhaps what happened. Regardless, Bumgarner wasn't the different in this series. Tigers could have lost to the Yankees after that 6-day layoff.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:19 AM
RaySheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
MOD

1. Not many STH are from Ontario... I am a STH and have had many convos with Patrick Ducharme, Bob Proberts attorney (sits next to me)...Surprisingly, only 4-5% of STH are from Ontario. Of the 4-5%, majority of them have business in Detroit and stay on this side of the boarder..

2. The Wings are as close to Winsdor as they can get, lodged between the tunnel and bridge...Only option left is to build on Belle Isle...Then all you canadians can swim over to watch hockey

3. JLA is a classic hockey building. For those that go to hockey games for the arena, and or for a short bathroom line, arent there for hockey. JLA is one of the best places to watch hockey. Run down, yes, but so is Wrigley Field... And dont you hate on the Hartford Civic Center, home of the best Goal Horn ever...
C'mon now...Garry Glitter's 'Rock n Roll'? That's just wrong on soo many levels. Everyone knows the Whalers song was Brass Bonanza.

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:45 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
It's kind of weird how much more success he had with the Wings. At times, it seemed he really spent more money and attention on them.
Tigers were fairly heavy favorites, and under normal conditions very likely win it all. Unfortunately just like 2006, we swept our way into the World Series and faced a team that had to go 7 games. That's happened 4 times in baseball history. All 4 times the team that had to win in 7 games beat the team that had swept and had a long layoff. Even more telling, the rested team now has a record of 1-16 against the 7 game team, with the 2006 Kenny Rogers Game 2 gem being the only game won by the rested guys. Too much of a coincidence to say that there's nothing to the argument that the team sitting around for 5+ days gets out of sync compared to the team who just keeps playing without a break. When heavily favored teams go 1-16 against the underdogs, you know there is something else going on.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Dream Big

Any word on how Mr Ilitch is doing? Hope he is doing well.

I've always been a fan. Way back in the day when there was a little Caesar's team at De Hockey Pee-Wee de Quebec. Still is I think.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:44 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Any word on how Mr Ilitch is doing? Hope he is doing well.

I've always been a fan. Way back in the day when there was a little Caesar's team at De Hockey Pee-Wee de Quebec. Still is I think.
Apparently he's still well enough to meet with the most powerful agent in baseball.

I wonder what type of moves he would still make in the NHL without a cap. Obviously he wants a World Series title so bad, but I wonder if the NHL cap has given him the green light in baseball spending or he just doesn't care and would spend to win in both sports regardless. I just hope we don't see a significant difference when he's no longer around. Great owner.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote