HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Memorial Cup Ticket Comparison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2012, 12:27 AM
  #1
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Memorial Cup Ticket Comparison

Does anyone remember what tickets cost for the Memorial Cup in Mississauga? It seems to me that they started at $50 per game, depending on the matchup and went up exponentially from there for the final. Alternatively you could buy crazy packages including Majors tickets for upwards of $1,000 and get the entire tournament included. Since I've moved West, I'm planning on attending again (I have confidence in the Colts this year, so I already booked my hotel). Checking out the ticket packages, they start for as low as $95 for all 8/9 games! I'm thinking we got pinched in Ontario!

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:16 AM
  #2
battfan888
Registered User
 
battfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brampton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
$95 for the whole tourney sounds too good to be true.

I remember when it was announced it would be in Mississauga I called up the first day tickets went on sale in the spring of 2010 trying to buy tickets and they pulled the "buy Majors season tickets" card, no thanks I have Battalion tickets.

In the end because of the insane cost I had a Memorial Cup right in my back yard and I only got to go to one game. I ended up going to the round robin game between Saint John and Kooteny, even those tickets cost me $40 each and they were in the corner all the way up top.

I do remember hearing back when the Memorial Cup was in Brandon a whole package was $419.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:06 PM
  #3
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
$95 for the whole tourney sounds too good to be true.

I remember when it was announced it would be in Mississauga I called up the first day tickets went on sale in the spring of 2010 trying to buy tickets and they pulled the "buy Majors season tickets" card, no thanks I have Battalion tickets.

In the end because of the insane cost I had a Memorial Cup right in my back yard and I only got to go to one game. I ended up going to the round robin game between Saint John and Kooteny, even those tickets cost me $40 each and they were in the corner all the way up top.

I do remember hearing back when the Memorial Cup was in Brandon a whole package was $419.
Sounds too good to be true but it is directly off the the Memorial Cip website (mind you it's for the cheapest seats, they do go up to $500 for the package). I also went to the Kootenay/Saint John game, and I think it was the best of the tournament! The Jurco goal off his head to tie the game was awesome!

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
  #4
battfan888
Registered User
 
battfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brampton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
It was a fantastic game no doubt, I was just disapointed that I could only attend 1 game of the whole tournament that was just 15 minutes down the road from me.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:59 PM
  #5
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
It was a fantastic game no doubt, I was just disapointed that I could only attend 1 game of the whole tournament that was just 15 minutes down the road from me.
Yeah, I volunteered on four days, but only made it to the one game as well. It's sad that assuming I can get the nosebleed ticket package I'll be able to go to the whole final weekend and pay for gas money (6 hour drive) and hotel for less than the cost of tickets in Ontario when I was only an hour away...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
  #6
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,791
vCash: 500
I know the tickets for Brandon were a LOT less than the last three hosted by the OHL, and I believe the Q tickets have been cheaper too.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:11 AM
  #7
OHLTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
From what I remember:

Rimouski was $55 for the tie-breaker and as much as $75-100 for the final game. We only paid $35 for the final, though (no Q in the game).

Brandon was $55 for the tie-breaker, but I don't remember how much the final game cost. I don't think it was much more than $100.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
  #8
ORYX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Supply and demand.

When the tournament in is Ontario, there are typically so many fans that are close enough to drive a short distance for a game or two. Looking at Missy, you have Niagara, Kitchener, London, Brampton, Oshawa, Guelph, Mississauga itlsef, and to a lesser extent due to travel Barrie and Owensound. PLUS the draw of the GTA.

Its a fairly high concentration of Junior Hockey fans.

I dont see it as quite the same concentration in the other two leagues (the west is geographically much larger obviously, and I cant really comment on the east, but there are all the maritime teams that are quite a ways away from the bulk of Quebec teams)

Im not suggesting that the fans are better or anything of that nature in the OHL, but I believe the average fan seems more willing to travel a short distance to catch a game. I can't count the number of average fans I know that have travelled 2-3 hours for an away game, just because, and they arent even season ticket holders.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
  #9
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Mississauga sold out only some of the games for the Mem Cup, because half of Owen Sound showed up to those games, or else there were still tickets available.

I bought the whole package, all ,a pair for all 8/9 games for $500 roughly . First games were for $40 or so, and final game was $150 or so.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:34 AM
  #10
krazy kanuck
Registered User
 
krazy kanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Well, there was GST and service fees, but still the most affordable ticket at the 2013 Memorial Cup was $137 for the entire package. That's pretty awesome since I am pretty sure I paid more than a 1/3 of that for a single round robin game in 2011...

Now if the Colts can just pull off a deal and make it there...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
  #11
Bubba P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Supply and demand.

When the tournament in is Ontario, there are typically so many fans that are close enough to drive a short distance for a game or two. ( Looking at Missy, you have Niagara, Kitchener, London, Brampton, Oshawa, Guelph, Mississauga itlsef, and to a lesser extent due to travel Barrie and Owensound. ) PLUS the draw of the GTA.

Its a fairly high concentration of Junior Hockey fans.

I dont see it as quite the same concentration in the other two leagues (the west is geographically much larger obviously, and I cant really comment on the east, but there are all the maritime teams that are quite a ways away from the bulk of Quebec teams)

Im not suggesting that the fans are better or anything of that nature in the OHL, but I believe the average fan seems more willing to travel a short distance to catch a game. I can't count the number of average fans I know that have travelled 2-3 hours for an away game, just because, and they arent even season ticket holders.
I don`t know what map you are looking at but Barrie is one of the closer places to Mississauga. It`s about 1 hour along highways 400 & 407.

Bubba P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:45 PM
  #12
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Packages in Kitchener in 2008 were the same price as a season ticket at the time - $500.00 give or take a few bucks.

In 2003 in Quebec city, we drove down for the championship game and bought tickets at the box office, a couple hours before the game, for $25.00 each.

In 1990 at Hamilton, I think I remember $13.00 for the sold out championship game. What I do remember was we bought tickets at Copps for every game (I think maybe $10.00 each) but bought the championship game tickets at a ticketmaster outlet in Kitchener and remember being rubbed the wrong way because of the service charge. Lucky though because the "Sold Out" signs posted at Copps on game day had me thanking my lucky stars we bought them earlier (that was a quiet drive home afterwards though).

I bought the package in 2008 and was lucky enough for the buildings in Hamilton and QC to be NHL sized which meant that single game tickets could be bought at the box office during the tournament.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 11:16 AM
  #13
tourlord*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Epic Lulz Society
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba P View Post
I don`t know what map you are looking at but Barrie is one of the closer places to Mississauga. It`s about 1 hour along highways 400 & 407.
Yeah Barrie and Missisauga are close. Maybe hes looking at a map of the USA.

tourlord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:31 PM
  #14
battfan888
Registered User
 
battfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brampton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
My friends and I have bought ticket packages to the 2013 Memorial Cup, we got the cheap seats but still, 3 entire tournament packages with shipping $408, thats insane.

We are up in the nosebleeds but will be sitting on the blueline, which is fine with me as I like to sit up high anyways.

Pretty excited now as this will be my first Memorial Cup other than the one round robin game I went to in Mississauga.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.