HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
leafsfuture

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
He will not play short handed thats for sure. He'll probably get some solid even strength time and play a tonne on the PP. He didnt get played in all situations in the Canada Russia series this summer and hes a turnover machine.

With a 1 goal lead in the final minute of play if Spott roles with the guys he familiar with, Canada will be going home without a gold just like the last few years and Spott wont be coaching again.

Ryan Ellis hardly played even in his fourth year except in more offensive roles, I think itll be the same for Murphy
For me the biggest reason Canada lost to the US in Saskatoon (and almost lost twice to them) was that they tried Ellis as a top 4 guy. I remember hearing pre-tourney videos about him wanting to step into a top 4 role, and he just wasn't ready for that

Of course the bigger issue was that we had a coach who had no confidence in one of his 7 defence man, and when Hamonic got injured we basically had no support on the back end. Why Gormely got cut in the first round of cuts, and how DeHaan made it over him was just beyond me

So yes, I dont want Murphy in a top 4 role. Rielly, Murray, Hamilton, Harrington sounds good to me

Old
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
And given Hockey Canada's track record, I'm not even sure they take Mackinnon. They love to cut 17 year old undrafted number 1 rated prospects. They make a hobby of it. Just like Ryan Nugent Hopkins was cut when he was 17 and the number 1 rated prospect. Just like they cut Tyler Seguin etc.
This is a bit over the top. I agree that Canada is generally too eager to cut undrafted players, but over the last few years we saw Murray, Couturier, Hall, Stamkos, Tavares and so on. MacKinnon is more hyped than quite a few of those guys and is off to a dynamite start. I can't see him not getting a top 6 spot if things stay as they are right now.

As far as Murphy goes, as long as Spott doesn't have a Don Hay sized crush on his own player I'm sure the team will be fine. The Canadian defence is absolutely loaded this year.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
This is a bit over the top. I agree that Canada is generally too eager to cut undrafted players, but over the last few years we saw Murray, Couturier, Hall, Stamkos, Tavares and so on. MacKinnon is more hyped than quite a few of those guys and is off to a dynamite start. I can't see him not getting a top 6 spot if things stay as they are right now.

As far as Murphy goes, as long as Spott doesn't have a Don Hay sized crush on his own player I'm sure the team will be fine. The Canadian defence is absolutely loaded this year.
Murray and Couturier are both late birthdays who could wear visors in the tournament when they made it for the first time. Hockey Canada loves cutting the 17-year-olds not the 18-year-olds.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Drouin's making a strong case...

Old
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
To be fair though, there are guys currently pencilled in to the top 6 who can play a bottom 6 role. If Mackinnon, Drouin etc were to impress at camp, a guy like Schiefele, who showed an edge in the Russia series could easily find himself centring a hypothetical 3rd line

And I would take a guy like Drouin any day of the week over Hunter Shinkaruk
The only 2 17 year olds that will make this team are Mackinnon and Sean Monahan...

Regarding goal tending, Subban will be number 1 - I dont know who will be 2nd, BUT next year both Fucale and Comerie should battle for 1st... I wonder if bringing one of them to this years WJC would be good for their development???

Old
10-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Tiranis

Frank Corrado should get a look at a D spot — 3rd in scoring amongst defensemen in the OHL and one of the best defensively too (he's better defensively than he is offensively). Nominated for the best defenseman in the OHL last season.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
The only 2 17 year olds that will make this team are Mackinnon and Sean Monahan...

Regarding goal tending, Subban will be number 1 - I dont know who will be 2nd, BUT next year both Fucale and Comerie should battle for 1st... I wonder if bringing one of them to this years WJC would be good for their development???
Monahan is 18.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
If Monohan makes the team, that 3rd line centre spot loooks good to me. Solid defensively and one of the best in the OHL on faceoffs.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:02 AM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post

tough to say that, also tough to put in a 17/18 year old goalie in to start at such a high pressure tournament, im sure Matt Murray will be in the conversation.

Also why does almost every team have Tom Wilson on it? Aren't his knuckles broken? and even if he is good to go by the tournament is he really that suited for Russian ice? Also was terrible at the Canada - Russia series. Just my thoughts...

Old
10-29-2012, 12:19 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Frank Corrado should get a look at a D spot 3rd in scoring amongst defensemen in the OHL and one of the best defensively too (he's better defensively than he is offensively). Nominated for the best defenseman in the OHL last season.
This is looking like a good pick for Gillis and co. Would be interested to see him get a camp invite and see how he plays from there.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:20 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Also why does almost every team have Tom Wilson on it? Aren't his knuckles broken? and even if he is good to go by the tournament is he really that suited for Russian ice? Also was terrible at the Canada - Russia series. Just my thoughts...
Well, his prognosis was two to three weeks I believe, so that'd mean he'd be back well before the tournament and could possibly even play in his Super Series game.

I think they'll take a look at him because of how effective he was at the Ivan Hlinka last summer, which was of course played on larger ice.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

I don't sugarcoat opinions! HC is fair game and they deserve their share of criticism. I'm no fan of the chief who sits atop that bureaucratic institution and the minions he employs. I'm a fan only of Canadian hockey players. And no I've never worked there nor have I ever sought to work there.... just an observer who doesn't like the things they do on a whole bunch of levels.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:37 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Monahan is 18.
Probably meant the NHL definition of 17.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Huffman

Quote:

Out of all those players you mentioned only Stamkos was 17 when the tournament started

Old
10-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Frank Corrado should get a look at a D spot — 3rd in scoring amongst defensemen in the OHL and one of the best defensively too (he's better defensively than he is offensively). Nominated for the best defenseman in the OHL last season.
I just don't see a spot for him, no matter what happens in camp, unless there are injuries, there are going to be some good players cut from the defense.

Murray-Murphy
Ouellet-Hamilton
Harrington-Reinhart
Rielly-Dumba
Ceci-Koekkoek
Pouliot

Who do you cut from that group?

Old
10-29-2012, 09:33 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I just don't see a spot for him, no matter what happens in camp, unless there are injuries, there are going to be some good players cut from the defense.

Murray-Murphy
Ouellet-Hamilton
Harrington-Reinhart
Rielly-Dumba
Ceci-Koekkoek
Pouliot

Who do you cut from that group?
The D is by far the most interesting to me on this team. The forward spots are almost too wide open to speculate on. But yeah I think when looking at that D on paper, theres just too much talent to say who for sure gets cut. My bet would be however that your chances are slim if you werent at the summer series. Pelech was invited over Corrado, and even though I'm fairly certain Pelech wont make the squad I dont think Corrado will either.

Hamilton is the best non NHL defender right now probably, Rielly leading the CHL in Dman scoring I believe or right up there, Harrington probably has the C and had a good tourney last year, Ouellet the best q defender coming out strong and had a good summer series, Murray a 2nd overall pick and flawless in his own zone, Murphy the best PP guy out there, Ceci is having a good year (bad summer series though) and Dumba provides that physical edge.

That list right there doesnt count guys like Percy, Sproul etc who Corrado would also have to beat out

Old
10-29-2012, 10:46 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Out of all those players you mentioned only Stamkos was 17 when the tournament started
If we're looking at just 17 year olds, you can count Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, Ellis, Toews, Crosby as guys who played for Canada at that age over the last decade or so. It's not massively unprecedented, and MacKinnon is better and has a larger profile than most of those guys when they were 17.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Montecristo

What will canada do for the forward spots as far as the attributes for the starting 12. will it be the 12 most talented players, or will they look for more grinders/checking line guys for the 4th line? Will camara make the team? it seems last year they didn't have anyone who could hit besides Jenner, it might behoove them to build a team that isn't 12 offensively gifted players, but rather 6-9 high-end skill players with a few muckers at the bottom who can set a tone.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Hynh

Quote:
If we're looking at just 17 year olds, you can count Stamkos, Kane, Tavares, Ellis, Toews, Crosby as guys who played for Canada at that age over the last decade or so. It's not massively unprecedented, and MacKinnon is better and has a larger profile than most of those guys when they were 17.
I was about to add Spezza and Bouwmeester to that list but then I realized that they played more than a decade ago.

I feel old.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:10 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

When was the last time we had this much competition ?

Old
10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
When was the last time we had this much competition ?
Problably last lockout I guess?

Old
10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
flames12

There is no reason for RNH not to play considering there will be no season even Oiler fans will agree with me.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:18 PM
kyle44

anyone else think Lipon and Smith could garner invites to the selection camp akin to Henrique-Nemisz and Halischuck-Spaling in recent years? they've been ripping the CHL apart in the early going much like these duos did leading up to the December camp.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I'll give you all those, except Kane who was cut originally and then brought back as an emergency fill in for a player who was injured... his name escapes me now, but I think it was the Tampa Bay player... I'll have to check into it.. getting old losing my memory.. There was a time I could recall everything about a WJC going all the way back to 86.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:32 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'll give you all those, except Kane who was cut originally and then brought back as an emergency fill in for a player who was injured... his name escapes me now, but I think it was the Tampa Bay player... I'll have to check into it.. getting old losing my memory.. There was a time I could recall everything about a WJC going all the way back to 86.
It was for Dana Tyrell.

Closed Thread