HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Who here would like to see the NHL completely dissolve?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the NHL crumble and see a new league created?
Yes 210 29.41%
No 504 70.59%
Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
0123456789*

vCash: 500
Short term pain for long term gain... dissolving the league should be looked at as rejuvenation.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:50 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Why would you want some new league to come up? What, you think some new league is going to be perfect unlike everything else in all of existance? People overreact to a problem and it just goes into armageddon.
This type of mentality is why we still have serious problems in our society. Because you can't imagine it, it means it's not possible. Continue to put up with the status quo even though the status quo needs an overhaul. What a weak way to look at things.

Lastly, I'm not angry or frustrated. I personally don't care for the owners or players. They're both dumb...so is Bettman. I follow all sports so I don't miss the NHL right now. If the season is lost....and we go into next year with a lockout it may be the best time to see changes made to pro hockey as we know it. I would love to see a 20 team league in 20 good hockey markets. A new commish, new rules, etc... if that ends up being the NHL then so be it...if not...I'd rather see the NHL fall and see a new league.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I'm sure something can be worked out to have the same teams/names, etc.
yeah, that'll happen....

"something" can be worked out...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Howboutthempanthers
I come in peace.

[QUOTE=hockeyfan2k11;55363331]This type of mentality is why we still have serious problems in our society. Because you can't imagine it, it means it's not possible. Continue to put up with the status quo even though the status quo needs an overhaul. What a weak way to look at things.

Well, I don't know where you got that from. From what I've seen this society's mentality is about anything but sticking with the status quo. People question everything. There is no status quo with this society. You'll see what I mean when and if there is a new league. What do you think is going to happen when that thing gets going? We'll be seeing threads on this board about, "can we do better", "they should tear it down and start all over", "let's start a new, better league" etc. It seems like the new mentality is if we're not doing something extreme then we're doing something wrong. Not a good reason to destroy things. This mentality seems to have started around the year 2000 for some reason.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 10-29-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:22 AM
joelef

The league is making record profits its not going away. However it could take a while to recover.

joelef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I mean, cease to exist.

I would love to see the league fold and see a new one start up. New commish, new rules, 20 teams, etc.

I would love to start from scratch.
If it did somehow happen, I'd love to see a multi tier league with relegation/promotion using the AHL/NHL. Also much stricter rules in the CBA regarding spending.

Player caps, hard cap/floor, players making 35-40% of revenue (HRR determined off of the median *30 - or however many teams there are), max player contracts lengths, and heavy revenue sharing.

Something that would give a team a chance to break into the league (say Toronto 2, or Hamilton, or Seattle), and have a shot at making the top league.

Not that it would ever happen, but yeah.

10-29-2012, 03:11 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
This would suck immensely. The Stanley Cup. The original 6. Records. Rules. Everything would be different. I would probably stop following professional hockey all together. Not only that, but I have a pretty thick hockey collection (NHL). I can't imagine it going the way of the WHA. I would cry.
This.

I've been a Pens fan for nearly 20 years. In that timeframe I've invested a substantial amount of my time and my finances towards supporting the team. I'll be damned if I'm just going to up and forget all of the wonderful Pens moments I've witnessed and had over the years. And I sure as hell would never sell any of my Pens memorabilia.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 03:29 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
This.

I've been a Pens fan for nearly 20 years. In that timeframe I've invested a substantial amount of my time and my finances towards supporting the team. I'll be damned if I'm just going to up and forget all of the wonderful Pens moments I've witnessed and had over the years. And I sure as hell would never sell any of my Pens memorabilia.
I feel the same way as an Oilers fan. I stuck with them even in the darkest times (Gretzky trade, the 90s, post-Pronger, etc.).

I'd be done with ice hockey outside of maybe watching it in the Olympics, I'd just have no emotional investment in some random teams slapped together even with good players.

I'd watch NBA in the fall and maybe pick up NFL football or something instead and wash my hands of hockey in this case.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:42 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
yeah, that'll happen....

"something" can be worked out...
Because it like uh...never happened before?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:50 AM
JAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince2012 View Post
I'd like to see the NHLPA completely dissolve and to come back as a group who works on behalf of their own best interest.
That's what really needs to be done, you have a group who is continually trying to bite the hand that feeds them.

JAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:03 AM
MikeK

vCash: 50
No! I would like to see the players wake up and stop being so delusional.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:13 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

It's kinda been a dream of mine to see how a legit 4on4 league would be, so I voted yes.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

If it means that a better NHL can come back, without these pathetic lockouts then yes...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:28 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

I voted no. The NHL needs a lot of work but not so much so that we dissolve it and start a new league.

10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
A start-up league would be in direct competition with the NHL just like the WHA was. In the end a few WHA teams survived, having proven themselves strong enough. This is how a new league would eventually be born, the remnants of the losing league would join with the stronger league.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

This lockout can do wonders to the human psyche.

Hanklite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:25 AM
txpd

i gotta ask...who are the 10 teams to contract?

why dont we do this. lets let the canadians have their National League and the Stanley Cup.
They keep the Leafs and Habs and any Canadian market they want to try in.

The USHL gets the Rangers, Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Penguins and all the markets they want.

I bet there would be some really surprised people seeing how that actually worked out

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Iggy77

No idea why anyone would want contraction and have lots of people out of work because of it(not just players).

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:26 AM
MoreOrr
B4

This is a hockey forum in general, but as far as I can tell over my 6+ years of being a member, it's primarily an NHL forum. So anyone who truly wants the NHL to dissolve shouldn't be a member here, or is only trolling the site. My opinion.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:35 AM
TheDeuce
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1167
I'd be in favour of things going the other way. Start a rival union to the NHLPA.

Get a few of the grinders and sloggers to put a bug in a few ears, get the word out (unofficially), and once they get to a critical mass have a presser: "Hi, we're the Professional Hockey Players Association and we are ready to sincerely work with the NHL to make a deal." Instead of dealing with an uninformed and disinterested Don Fehr the NHL can work with the players who love the game.

I'd vote for that!

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Sounds like the OP wants this to happen as a means to other changes and not an end unto itself.

If you want contraction and hate Bettman, just say so.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

I would like to see this happens with every magor sports league in America and then two league would emerge from every sports. The diversity of content would be awesome. Those that feel that the NFL was always too strict, well there would be an alternative with as good players. Those that liked more physical players in hockey would have their league, while the other hockey league would be more strict and it would have a more european feel.

But as far as the NHL right now, it's an incredibly flawed model without a big TV deal, the players are making too much from a league bleeding money. I don't know if it's the league that should be folded or just find a way to completly reconstruct their deals with the players, maybe even stop considering the union at all and don't sign any CBAs, wait each year in the fall and watch wich players cross the line. And you offer this:

Once you become a NHL player, you make 350 thousand per year salary. Nothing more, nothing less. That's every players. And this will never change. And if you reach certain plateaus, then you get big bonuses. Say a guy would score 50 goals one season, he could get something like 5 million. I think that would be pretty damn fair. And at the same time, the business is healthy. But some franchises would have to disolved first so there's no weak link to the new system.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
This is a hockey forum in general, but as far as I can tell over my 6+ years of being a member, it's primarily an NHL forum. So anyone who truly wants the NHL to dissolve shouldn't be a member here, or is only trolling the site. My opinion.
... I dont know if I'd go that far, but ya, the premise of the threads question without follow through, such as "and what is the feasibility of a new league", which existing teams might constitute its foundations (or not) at least providing an out to going Nuclear.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Once you become a NHL player, you make 350 thousand per year salary. Nothing more, nothing less. That's every players. And this will never change. And if you reach certain plateaus, then you get big bonuses. Say a guy would score 50 goals one season, he could get something like 5 million. I think that would be pretty damn fair. And at the same time, the business is healthy. But some franchises would have to disolved first so there's no weak link to the new system.
.... ya, this is an interesting idea & concept Kimota. A "Standardized Players Contract" league-wide whereby all players are paid the same base salary & bonuses for points, save percentages, winners of the Richard, Smythe, Vezina trophies etc; team bonuses for regular season standings & playoff performances. $350K as a base seems pretty light to me though.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... ya, this is an interesting idea & concept Kimota. A "Standardized Players Contract" league-wide whereby all players are paid the same base salary & bonuses for points, save percentages, winners of the Richard, Smythe, Vezina trophies etc; team bonuses for regular season standings & playoff performances. $350K as a base seems pretty light to me though.
Then again it could be 200 thousand. "You play in my league you get what i'm giving you". But let's just say, it could be 550 thousand instead.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote