HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Some reason I've thought Jordan Subban will be rated in the top 30 but it seems his size and the draft's high quality may give us a chance to snag him with one of our 2nds/even 3rd.
Even though he's not as tall as our Subban, I think we have to assume he'll develop some of PK's compact strength. We've seen PK successfully protect the puck against so many bigger players. Among undersized players, you have to give Jordan an advantage based on his family history IMHO.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
puckfan13

Point per game through 13 games, someone on the Oilers board mentioned Belleville is decrepit offensively this year. If so, that seems like Subban is showing great progress on the offensive side of things and driving the play, pretty big jump from the 20-something points he had all of last year.

Anyone from Ontario seen him play live or on TV so far? How is his defensive game, etc. Surprised he's not getting more hype thus far considering who his brother is.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

It's just a feel good story. The last pair of brothers we had worked out great for us, didn't it?

I'm not against the idea, but I'm not as excited with that thought as some here. I've heard good and bad stuff about Jordan (you could say the same about PK at his age) but what worries me at this point is Jordan's size. I'm really not one of those size queens that plague this board, but for a defenseman that plays his kind of game, 5'09 is too small for the NHL.

Is he still 5'09 or is the Belleville website outdated?

Anyway, I realize he can still grow. And I'm not writing him off. But this "he's better than his brothers" crap I'm not buying. The last time I heard that, it was about Jared Staal.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Anyway, I realize he can still grow. And I'm not writing him off. But this "he's better than his brothers" crap I'm not buying. The last time I heard that, it was about Jared Staal.
Nobody anywhere has actually said that. I think there was only one poster in here pushing the idea that Jordan could be as good or better than P.K., and the asterisk next to his name tells you all you need to know about him.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
It's just a feel good story. The last pair of brothers we had worked out great for us, didn't it?

I'm not against the idea, but I'm not as excited with that thought as some here. I've heard good and bad stuff about Jordan (you could say the same about PK at his age) but what worries me at this point is Jordan's size. I'm really not one of those size queens that plague this board, but for a defenseman that plays his kind of game, 5'09 is too small for the NHL.

Is he still 5'09 or is the Belleville website outdated?

Habs have had quite a few brother pairings in their history, some of which had a little success here and there.

Jared Staal thing was a myth iirc. I think the parents referred to Jordan Staal in that interview.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Point per game through 13 games, someone on the Oilers board mentioned Belleville is decrepit offensively this year. If so, that seems like Subban is showing great progress on the offensive side of things and driving the play, pretty big jump from the 20-something points he had all of last year.

Anyone from Ontario seen him play live or on TV so far? How is his defensive game, etc. Surprised he's not getting more hype thus far considering who his brother is.
Belleville is a pretty poor offensive team, however they are very strong defensively. They've allowed 30 goals all year, which is the fewest in the OHL, but have only scored 33, which again is the fewest in the OHL.

Jordan Subban's defensive game isn't very good. He does have his moments, but frequently gets beat. He's also no where near how explosive PK was at the same age, however Jordan is more well-rounded.

The reason that he isn't getting more hype is the fact of how deep the draft is. Honestly I have him as mid-second round pick right now. Undersized offensive defenceman aren't very coveted unless they have gamebreaking offensive talent. Which I haven't seen from Jordan Subban yet.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Habs have had quite a few brother pairings in their history, some of which had a little success here and there.

Jared Staal thing was a myth iirc. I think the parents referred to Jordan Staal in that interview.
The story goes that he was talking about Jordan, but the journalist misquoted him as saying Jared.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Also forgot to post this yesterday, for those of you who don't read the Prospects board, Barkov's shootout goal
That kid has a lot of Jagr in him...

Old
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
That kid has a lot of Jagr in him...
I see that too.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:58 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Where is this guy projected to go? Mid first rounder?
It would make more sense to rank him as a 1st round pick IMO.Mantha another old time Hab name Sylvio Mantha,I wonder if they are related.Sylvio and brother Georges both played in the 20's-30's one of the first pair of brothers in the NHL and Sylvio the 7th captain of the Habs.No I'm not old enough to have seen them play.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Belleville is a pretty poor offensive team, however they are very strong defensively. They've allowed 30 goals all year, which is the fewest in the OHL, but have only scored 33, which again is the fewest in the OHL.

Jordan Subban's defensive game isn't very good. He does have his moments, but frequently gets beat. He's also no where near how explosive PK was at the same age, however Jordan is more well-rounded.

The reason that he isn't getting more hype is the fact of how deep the draft is. Honestly I have him as mid-second round pick right now. Undersized offensive defenceman aren't very coveted unless they have gamebreaking offensive talent. Which I haven't seen from Jordan Subban yet.
Agreed on Jordan. He's getting points, but not really dazzling the way PK did in his rover days. Jordan's game is rather less flashy. I don't think I'd be looking at him until mid-round flyer time... ? Not in the 2nd, at least not for our team.

I'd give Malcolm a good bit of credit on the defensive record for the Bulls as well. He's the best goalie in the OHL, and has to be in the running for best in junior hockey. Alas for how that draft turned out.

Oh yeah... and 5'9" 170 looks accurate for Jordan today to me...

Old
10-29-2012, 03:18 PM
That

Great write up on the draft eligible OHL prospects posted by Brock over on the prospects board.
I recommend that everyone checks it out here: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...nhl-draft.html

It certainly doesn't hurt that my top 10 is the exact same as his

Old
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PK say at one point that Jordan was going to be better than him?

Old
10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Great write up on the draft eligible OHL prospects posted by Brock over on the prospects board.
I recommend that everyone checks it out here: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...nhl-draft.html

It certainly doesn't hurt that my top 10 is the exact same as his
Nice read but can't say I'm too thrilled about this years top OHL prospects, there's no names that excite me the way the top of the Q, WHL and Europe do right now. A couple of interesting second round options though...

Old
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't PK say at one point that Jordan was going to be better than him?
Good brothers always say stuff like that, of course, so it really doesn't mean anything.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Too early in the season to say where he might go.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Maybe he isn't that good and drafting because of name is a bad idea?
PPG defenseman on a weak offensive team and is better than PK was defensively at the same age.

He will rise.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:39 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

As for his size and strength..

He trains at Laylor as well.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:11 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Anyone here agrees we should draft Fucale (or another good goaltender) with a second rounder, if available? It might be wise to draft one for insurance. Goaltenders usually take time to develop as well, so its not like we can say ''Carey Price is still young!'', Price would be like 30+ years old when that newly drafted goalie starts playing backup, which is ideal.

As for Jordan Subban : we definitely should draft him if we have the opportunity and no clearly better players are available with that pick. We have good defense depth but of the entire group of young defensemen only Subban&Beaulieu appear to have the offensive acumen to play on an NHL powerplay. Ellis, Tinordi, Thrower are mostly defensive defensemen prospects.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Fucale is good, but so is Spencer Martin of the Steelheads. Would be happy with either.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Nice read but can't say I'm too thrilled about this years top OHL prospects, there's no names that excite me the way the top of the Q, WHL and Europe do right now. A couple of interesting second round options though...
I feel it's been a while since the Q was so stacked with 1st round talents, always in the shadow of the OHL, me like it.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:46 AM
S Bah

The Habs are in need of Top Six talent 1 Elite and a few more with talent,size and character(leaders,truculence a bonus)As the GM that's what my scouting team would be focusing on for the next draft,a list with BPA and a list with the above.Other than MacKinnon and Jones none will crack the Habs line-up within two years maybe longer depending on their draft position.Assuming the NHL plays the Habs may end within a lottery position(1-5),quite normal for teams that finished last the season before.We as Hab fans would prefer winning the SC but that's not happening at least not for 3-4 years,if the Habs are extremely lucky in drafting,signing UFA's,prospects reach their upsides and the team stays injury free.By draft day Drouin,Barkov and longshot but rising quickly Mantha could be in the equation for #1 overall,a very deep draft year indeed.It's hard enough as a fan to deal with a lockout,having to decide on the player we want the Habs to pick is really going to be tough on all of us right until draft day. Drouin seems to have the inside track for me unless the Habs draft #1 or #2 both MacKinnon & Jones are team changing talents that can't be overlooked at this point.The thought of having a PP with MaxPac,Gally & MacKinnon is a dream,as would having a shutdown defence pairing of Subban & Jones.The Habs rebuild time could jump ahead a year quite conceivably given one of these players,then again Drouin or Barkov might have great chemistry with Galchenyuk who knows.Intriguing at the very least,I know it's keeping my attention off the NHL lockout,that and watching Bulldogs hockey will have to do until the Habs start playing once more.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Anyone here agrees we should draft Fucale (or another good goaltender) with a second rounder, if available? It might be wise to draft one for insurance. Goaltenders usually take time to develop as well, so its not like we can say ''Carey Price is still young!'', Price would be like 30+ years old when that newly drafted goalie starts playing backup, which is ideal.
Totally agreed... we have to pick a goalie this year. And this seems like it's a pretty decent one for it too. It can be 6 or more years before a drafted goalie cracks the league, so there's absolutely no interference there with the Price situation. We should probably sign a free agent too to get somebody on a faster development track. I don't see Delmas or Mayer as legitimate prospects, it would be nice to have a "real prospect" immediately in the AHL next season, plus the newly-drafted 18-year old still in junior for a couple years.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Fucale will go in the first round.. likely to Columbus with one of their 1sts.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Fucale will go in the first round.. likely to Columbus with one of their 1sts.
If Columbus spends one of their first on a goalie, they're dumb. They picked two goalies last year. Dansk and Korpisalo, I think it'd be dumb to see them pick Fucale up, but with Howson, you never know.

Closed Thread