HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hanlon coaches Belarus to a win!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-09-2006, 07:12 AM
  #1
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,028
vCash: 500
Hanlon coaches Belarus to a win!!

I noticed that Ovy and Semin had a nice game, but lost in that seems to be that Hanlon's Belarus team beat Slovakia!

In the words of Fox's Chris Myers, "That deserves a WOW".

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:52 AM
  #2
Capitals19
Registered User
 
Capitals19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NoVA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Capitals19
is Majesky on the Slovakian WC squad?

Capitals19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 08:53 AM
  #3
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot19
is Majesky on the Slovakian WC squad?
No; one report I read was that he said no due to his impending UFA status.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
  #4
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Very exciting!

Next season will be very very interesting. Ovy and Semin tearing it up, Hanlon's coaching to win games, promotions from Hershey, Draft picks, UFAs...

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:47 AM
  #5
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,570
vCash: 500
Before everyone gets on the Hanlon Coaching bandwagon...sure, he'll get the most out of his players...but Im not sold on him being the coach to put the Caps to the next level.

I like him as the coach of this team right now...but we'll see how things go as we get more talented.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:19 PM
  #6
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
I think he'll work out for at least the next couple of years.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:24 PM
  #7
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout
Before everyone gets on the Hanlon Coaching bandwagon...sure, he'll get the most out of his players...but Im not sold on him being the coach to put the Caps to the next level.

I like him as the coach of this team right now...but we'll see how things go as we get more talented.

The funny thing about the Belarus coaching is I heard or read a comment the other day about Belarus' successful penalty killing unit. I agree Hanlon will be around another year or two, but still question whether he will be here once the rebuild moves to the next stage. Personally, I think the pressing issue is an assistant coach for the specialty teams.

About Hanlon coaching Belarus, there is an interesting piece on the IHWC site about foreign coaches for national teams - personally, while I think it would be fine for foreign coaches to serve as consultants/advisors, I think the coach should have to meet the same qualifications as the players. Herb Brooks coaching France in the Olympics made me

coaching debate

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:31 PM
  #8
jhershb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Agree completely--Hanlon's fine as coach, but needs help on special teams--the Caps will never rise to the next level (ie, the playoffs) without learning the rudiments of a PP (like how to control the puck into the zone instead of dumping [and 9 times out of 10 watching the opposing team easily clear the puck back]) and improving the PK--in the "new" penalty-filled NHL this is like spotting the opposition a goal or two per game.

jhershb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 12:56 PM
  #9
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
So everyone is pretty much predicting Hanlon's demise after a couple more years eh?

The Caps go back to a coaching style that gets the players to give 100% each game and play with passion and drive and you guys to oust him to get an Xs and Os guy in here?

We are finally back to playing old school hockey (to the extent it can be played in the bettman anti-fighting era) and we want to dump our coach?

Great. Who would you guys replace him with? Scotty Bowman would be nice but I dont think he'd be available. Dale Hunter? I love the guy but what makes you think our PP and PK will be ranked in the top 10 with him?

The owner likes him. The GM likes him. The players like him. The players play hard for him. I wouldnt write him off just yet. You guys are just making baseless predictions thinking that a new coach will come in here and make us a contender. The rebuild is going to take longer than 2 years from now...sorry to rain on your parade.

In 2 years none of our young players (especially dmen) will be close to their prime. Our "top" center we pick next year will probably just break into the lineup. We will not be a $40 mil payroll team either.

Sorry to kill everyone's buzz but someone had to be the voice of reason!

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:09 PM
  #10
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24
So everyone is pretty much predicting Hanlon's demise after a couple more years eh?

The Caps go back to a coaching style that gets the players to give 100% each game and play with passion and drive and you guys to oust him to get an Xs and Os guy in here?

We are finally back to playing old school hockey (to the extent it can be played in the bettman anti-fighting era) and we want to dump our coach?

Great. Who would you guys replace him with? Scotty Bowman would be nice but I dont think he'd be available. Dale Hunter? I love the guy but what makes you think our PP and PK will be ranked in the top 10 with him?

The owner likes him. The GM likes him. The players like him. The players play hard for him. I wouldnt write him off just yet. You guys are just making baseless predictions thinking that a new coach will come in here and make us a contender. The rebuild is going to take longer than 2 years from now...sorry to rain on your parade.

In 2 years none of our young players (especially dmen) will be close to their prime. Our "top" center we pick next year will probably just break into the lineup. We will not be a $40 mil payroll team either.

Sorry to kill everyone's buzz but someone had to be the voice of reason!

rebuild enters next stage does not equal rebuild complete/over; also, I don't think Hanlon will be gone in two years, but rather seems evident he will be here one or two more; the biggest knock at the moment, IMO, is special teams performance under this coaching staff; if the current coaching staff or a change or addition to the assistants changes the special teams performance, Hanlon sticks around longer than that IMO

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:30 PM
  #11
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc
rebuild enters next stage does not equal rebuild complete/over; also, I don't think Hanlon will be gone in two years, but rather seems evident he will be here one or two more; the biggest knock at the moment, IMO, is special teams performance under this coaching staff; if the current coaching staff or a change or addition to the assistants changes the special teams performance, Hanlon sticks around longer than that IMO
GMGM has fired two coaches already. Firing a third will really put him on thin ice if it doesnt work since the finger will start to be pointed at him by Ted.

GMGM goes back a long way with Hanlon....played with him on the Rangers in the early 80's, worked with him in Vancover in the early 90's and hired him as coach. If what you guys say is true about him wanting Hanlon as coach back when Butch got hired (Ted overruling it) then what makes you think that after one or two more years he will be out the door?

The only way Hanlon goes is if McPhee goes along with him. That will take something pretty drastic.

You guys may have your dreams of greener pastures come true if another team sees the value in Hanlon and blows him away with an offer the Caps cant match.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:47 PM
  #12
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24
GMGM has fired two coaches already. Firing a third will really put him on thin ice if it doesnt work since the finger will start to be pointed at him by Ted.

GMGM goes back a long way with Hanlon....played with him on the Rangers in the early 80's, worked with him in Vancover in the early 90's and hired him as coach. If what you guys say is true about him wanting Hanlon as coach back when Butch got hired (Ted overruling it) then what makes you think that after one or two more years he will be out the door?

The only way Hanlon goes is if McPhee goes along with him. That will take something pretty drastic.

You guys may have your dreams of greener pastures come true if another team sees the value in Hanlon and blows him away with an offer the Caps cant match.
Thanks for the history lesson about McPhee and Hanlon, but nothing new to me and I don't think it is new to most of the regular posters. I grew up watching those early 80s Rangers teams in person

I know you like to take devils advocate positions, but I don't see anyone here outright firing Hanlon in two years so not sure what the point of this discussion is. On a sidenote, on the OB and here, I have been one of those people disagreeing with those that think Dale Hunter is ready to jump right into a NHL head coaching role and solve any and all problems.

Again, I think the present issue is special teams coaching and that does not mean firing Hanlon.


Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 05-09-2006 at 01:53 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
  #13
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury
Very exciting!

Next season will be very very interesting. Ovy and Semin tearing it up, Hanlon's coaching to win games, promotions from Hershey, Draft picks, UFAs...
First, I see almost no chance that this next draft will have anything to do with next season unless a pick or picks are used in a trade.

As for Hanlon, agreed the jury is still out. Who knows if he can coach to win. He certainly coached last seasons team to be better than the embarrassment that I thought they were and the better than .500 record after the Olympic break may be meaningless, but I am not ready to just dump it in the waste can either.

Since there are no expectations that the Caps will be competitive for a playoff spot next year, maybe Hanlon has one more semi free ride season. We will see.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 02:16 PM
  #14
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc
Thanks for the history lesson about McPhee and Hanlon, but nothing new to me and I don't think it is new to most of the regular posters. I grew up watching those early 80s Rangers teams in person

I know you like to take devils advocate positions, but I don't see anyone here outright firing Hanlon in two years so not sure what the point of this discussion is. On a sidenote, on the OB and here, I have been one of those people disagreeing with those that think Dale Hunter is ready to jump right into a NHL head coaching role and solve any and all problems.

Again, I think the present issue is special teams coaching and that does not mean firing Hanlon.

Well I know all of you smoke some serious wacky weed (based on your posts) and we all know what that does to the memory....

Figured you guys needed a refresher.

Now, I do believe the tone of the posts basically points that we should be playoff ready in two years and if the special teams are bad then we should ace Hanlon since "he cant take us to the next rebuild level"

Now...realistically we overachieved this year. Next year should we grab 5 more points in the standing then that will be a huge success as we will basically have the same team (ie horrendous D)

The year after that if we manage to add 5 more points that too will be a huge success barring something unforseen (rapid astronomical development of younger players, breakout free agent signings etc).

That's 10pts in 2 years. You figure our special teams could realistically improve to the top of the bottom third (around 22nd or 23rd in each category)...given our ATROCIOUS Dmen that will be a huge mountain to climb.

At this rate it will be 4 years before this team is playoff ready. Thats realistic. Anything more will be wishful thinking. Atlanta still hasnt made the playoffs and they have a far more talented lineup than ours.

Tampa and Carolina will be highly competitive for the next 4 years. And if FLA resigns Luongo then we will be buried as the worst team in the worst eastern conference division. I dont see anyone thinking we can get past any of those teams in the next 2 years.

Specialty teams will improve when we have the players who can help them..mainly the DMEN. We have no PP quarterback from the point. Green and Eminger have potential but they need more than 2 years.

PK??? AKKKK...we dont even have a physical dman on the roster. Unless we have 2 or 3 of those guys then we wont be able to kill penalties consistently. None of the guys we have now can clear the crease and the opponents feast on our PK that way (screened shots, rebounds, point blank chances)

I dont see how any coaching can polish our limited talent on the backline.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
  #15
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Well obviously some posters are more conservative or positive in regards to the coming 06-07 season but any predictions at this point in time are kind of pointless. After the draft (and possible trades) and free agency would be a better time me thinks though at least it will be entertaining to look back and see how the quick draw predictions turned out .

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 07:06 PM
  #16
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,912
vCash: 500
My guess is that Hanlon gets to show what he can do with more talent before he gets the axe. They won't knock the play of his special teams unless they're still in the crapper after the talent improves.

All coaches get fired eventually, but short of a player mutiny, I think Hanlon will probably be here for awhile.

If they bring someone in, it will be after Hanlon doesn't get the job done with talent. He'll get the chance to fall on his face. They won't hit, say, a $40M payroll over a summer and decide they need to get a real coach before the Fall, now that they finally have a real payroll. Hanlon gets a lot of rope, if only because I think this team is going to suck for a lot longer than do many others, AO notwithstanding.

Right now, everyone from the players to management to ownership likes him. It takes time for that amount of goodwill to disintegrate, as though it's got a half life.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 09:19 PM
  #17
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,028
vCash: 500
Before he gets the axe? I think in order to get fired Hanlon's team will have to be disappointing in some way. If they back up next season in terms or either consistant effort or in the W column, he would get fired. That could happen.
On the other hand I think its equally possible that he stays ahead of the expectations curve.

That is really the test for Hanlon. The expectations curve. Should the Caps pull an unexpected trade for an impact forward and then score this offseason's Kariya signing(say Jovonowski decides that playing on a power play with Ovechkin will make him look like Bobby Orr and having Kolzig in goal behind him will cover most of his mistakes and the Caps giving him 30:00 a night will give him a shot at a Norris Trophy), the expectations will be that the Caps will compete for a playoff spot.

If they add a couple of non-descript veterans and they stay in the playoff picture til the first of the year, he will have over performed again.

I personally, have no idea if he knows how to manage games consistantly to get wins. Only time will show us.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
  #18
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,912
vCash: 500
Every coach not named Scotty Bowman gets the axe. It's just the way it works. Every coach gets fired. Some sooner, some later, but they are hired to be fired.

Personally, I think Hanlon will be in DC a long time, but he will get the axe eventually. Virtually none of them quit unless it's for severe health reasons.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 01:08 PM
  #19
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc
Again, I think the present issue is special teams coaching and that does not mean firing Hanlon.
"......is a new PP/PK assistant coach(es) the answer, or do you simply attribute the woeful percentages to the talent level, and hope the rankings improve along with the influx of young talent?

Tarik El-Bashir: The NHL made changes to the rules to prevent teams like the Capitals from trapping, clutching and grabbing their way to wins over free-skating teams with talent. I asked myself the same question about whether different assistant coaches were in order to address the special teams woes. But then I would look out on the ice and see the names of the players who were skating on the PP, and I would have my answer. NOT the coaching. It's the players."

I guess Tarik was seeing the same things as I was while you were seeing how great a pointmen like Biron, Clymer (our best point man), Muir and Heward were

Lets not forget to factor in highly skilled forwards like Willsie, Halpern and Zubrus.

Face it..we have a one man power play and even Scotty Bowman couldnt fix it. I'm actually suprised we didnt finish dead last in both PP and PK. A credit to the coaching staff

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 01:14 PM
  #20
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24
"......is a new PP/PK assistant coach(es) the answer, or do you simply attribute the woeful percentages to the talent level, and hope the rankings improve along with the influx of young talent?

Tarik El-Bashir: The NHL made changes to the rules to prevent teams like the Capitals from trapping, clutching and grabbing their way to wins over free-skating teams with talent. I asked myself the same question about whether different assistant coaches were in order to address the special teams woes. But then I would look out on the ice and see the names of the players who were skating on the PP, and I would have my answer. NOT the coaching. It's the players."

I guess Tarik was seeing the same things as I was while you were seeing how great a pointmen like Biron, Clymer (our best point man), Muir and Heward were

Lets not forget to factor in highly skilled forwards like Willsie, Halpern and Zubrus.

Face it..we have a one man power play and even Scotty Bowman couldnt fix it. I'm actually suprised we didnt finish dead last in both PP and PK. A credit to the coaching staff
I was focusing more on the PK when I was mentioning special teams coaching - I think the players are there to have a better PK and I was surprised time and again that they did not improve during the season; I agree more skill, especially guys that can one touch pass the puck is needed on the PP and I don't believe I said otherwise. I was not a fan of the Muir re-signing or the Biron signing ever. Adding Semin will improve the PP more than a specialty teams coach right now, but something needs to improve on the PK for next season (and it is more than just cutting down on the number of penalties taken). I like Hanlon as a coach and I am not petitioning for his firing, whether you believe that or not.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2006, 02:18 PM
  #21
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc
I was focusing more on the PK when I was mentioning special teams coaching - I think the players are there to have a better PK and I was surprised time and again that they did not improve during the season; I agree more skill, especially guys that can one touch pass the puck is needed on the PP and I don't believe I said otherwise. I was not a fan of the Muir re-signing or the Biron signing ever. Adding Semin will improve the PP more than a specialty teams coach right now, but something needs to improve on the PK for next season (and it is more than just cutting down on the number of penalties taken). I like Hanlon as a coach and I am not petitioning for his firing, whether you believe that or not.

Our PK is actually worse than our PP in terms of talent we put out there. We have Ovechkin on the PP. Penalty killing fowards are a dime a dozen in the league. Its the PK dmen that are harder to find. We have about the worst compilation of those that I've ever seen on an NHL team (outside of perhaps 1st year expansion teams)

Also having Semin wont greatly improve our PP. Our dmen are horrendous still so we will have no point presence. Also Semin essentially works the half boards where Ovechkin scores on his one timers. Obviously they both cant be there and I really think its a waste to have Ovechkin at the point.

It all goes back to the D however...and to as I always do I will mention how GMGM doesnt address it adequately on any level.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
  #22
Volsus
Registered User
 
Volsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Iceland
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
"We owe our success to Glen Hanlon," said Belarus forward Dmitri Dudik. "He came all the way from North America to coach this team again. He is the reason we are successful, and he has us believing in ourselves."

Good for Belarus and their historic advance to the play-off round.

Volsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
  #23
Icekube
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 580
vCash: 500
Hanlon is happy

Icekube is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.