HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schneider to Edmonton

Old
10-29-2012, 11:52 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
I agree. Vancouver will take nothing less than one of the big four. If Edmonton is seriously about getting back into the playoffs than they will need to bite the bullet and make the trade. I like where the OP is going with this, but I believe the focus should be in defense rather than Goaltending. There is only so much a goaltender can do.
Edmonton is serious about long term success. Immediate entry into the playoffs isn't necessary.

The big 4 (maybe 5 now with Schultz) aren't going anywhere at this point, even for a stud defenseman or a top goaltender.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:05 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

vCash: 500
9 pages. What else do Oil fans have to say? It's been made quite clear that there is next to no chance that EDM make a deal with the nucks for a goalie - it simply does not make sense at this stage.
Hell would freeze over before 1 of the big 5 are moved for a goalie at this stage. Especially for one who is not yet proven as a starter(that's not to say Schneider won't be a very good starter in time)

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:07 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Ditto this. Realistically I would expect a similarly touted if slightly unproven player in return, like Couturier straight up or something(if Philly were a realistic option).
That would otherwise be fair,... I think that Schneider is likely to have as much of an impact and solid a career as Couturier or Schenn... except that slightly unproven goalies are usually << valuable than slightly unproven forwards. It isn't exactly fair, but Steve Penney, Jim Carey, Andrew Raycroft and a good number of other accomplished young goalies who "lost it" depreciate the value for all the rest. The number of Daigles or Cheechoo's pale in comparison

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
vanwest

As others have stated, the only way the Canucks would trade Scheider period would be for an overpayment. I think most GM's know that this guy is one of the better young goalies out there. To trade him within the division would require an even bigger overpayment.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
That would otherwise be fair,... I think that Schneider is likely to have as much of an impact and solid a career as Couturier or Schenn... except that slightly unproven goalies are usually << valuable than slightly unproven forwards. It isn't exactly fair, but Steve Penney, Jim Carey, Andrew Raycroft and a good number of other accomplished young goalies who "lost it" depreciate the value for all the rest. The number of Daigles or Cheechoo's pale in comparison
Except Schneider has been in the league for twice as long as Couturier, and has been better(numbers wise the best goalie in the league, apart from small sample size) too. However the age difference and that forwards are generally worth more makes it even, imo.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly7 View Post
I agree. Vancouver will take nothing less than one of the big four. If Edmonton is seriously about getting back into the playoffs than they will need to bite the bullet and make the trade. I like where the OP is going with this, but I believe the focus should be in defense rather than Goaltending. There is only so much a goaltender can do.
Your first sentence kind of contradicts your second

Personally I agree with the defense statement. They would be wise to keep all of their forwards, work on their defense, and hope Dubnyk puts it all together.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Vancouver WILL NOT be trading Schneider. This is moot.

Further, Edmonton is not giving up Taylor Hall or whomever is it that some of my less knowledgeable brethren are pursuing.

Seriously, trading Schneider would be a mistake of historical proportions.

MarkusNaslund19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Your first sentence kind of contradicts your second

Personally I agree with the defense statement. They would be wise to keep all of their forwards, work on their defense, and hope Dubnyk puts it all together.
Thank you. Somebody finally gets it.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Thank you. Somebody finally gets it.
That being said, I still think if you could pull a goalie like Luongo out of Vancouver for a package centered around Hemsky you should do that as well. Edmonton will likely be looking to seriously contend in about 2-3 years, having stability in net would be huge. Rolling the dice on Dubnyk rather than tossing out one of the big 4 to acquire Schneider is a given, but if you CAN acquire a great goalie at a bargain price you certainly should.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:16 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
That being said, I still think if you could pull a goalie like Luongo out of Vancouver for a package centered around Hemsky you should do that as well. Edmonton will likely be looking to seriously contend in about 2-3 years, having stability in net would be huge. Rolling the dice on Dubnyk rather than tossing out one of the big 4 to acquire Schneider is a given, but if you CAN acquire a great goalie at a bargain price you certainly should.
I think Luongo is still a solid goalie, but his contract scares me. The Oilers can't risk dealing with something like that, especially if all of the young talent pans out. There's also uncertainty in the CBA and I wouldn't want to be stuck with massive cap hits when Luongo is barely playing / is retired.

If he had a 5 year, $6m per year contract, I'd definitely trade Hemsky for him.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I think Luongo is still a solid goalie, but his contract scares me. The Oilers can't risk dealing with something like that, especially if all of the young talent pans out. There's also uncertainty in the CBA and I wouldn't want to be stuck with massive cap hits when Luongo is barely playing / is retired.

If he had a 5 year, $6m per year contract, I'd definitely trade Hemsky for him.
Depending on how the new CBA turns out(if we're stuck with the cap hit) then it would look a lot more appealing to Edmonton, that's for sure.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:04 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
As others have stated, the only way the Canucks would trade Scheider period would be for an overpayment. I think most GM's know that this guy is one of the better young goalies out there. To trade him within the division would require an even bigger overpayment.
I dont know why anyone bothers to post trade ideas. Every thread ends up with a bunch of posts saying the only way it will happen is with an overpayment. If that were the case in reality instead of just on HF no deal would ever get made. This is not a shot at you Vanwest. Just tired of hearing the same thing said about every single player inquired about. Including Oilers players. The only thing I hate more is posters saying AINEC as though it were gospel.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Reign Nateo

You can pretty much put "value of _____" as a title for a thread and you'll have "more than you'd be willing to pay" or "it would take an overpayment" within the first 3 posts.

That's the nature of homerism. Take it for what it is, people will always over-value their own.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:50 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I dont know why anyone bothers to post trade ideas. Every thread ends up with a bunch of posts saying the only way it will happen is with an overpayment. If that were the case in reality instead of just on HF no deal would ever get made. This is not a shot at you Vanwest. Just tired of hearing the same thing said about every single player inquired about. Including Oilers players. The only thing I hate more is posters saying AINEC as though it were gospel.
Fair point. Saying 'overpayment' is not helpful. But the reality is that it would take a pretty high payment to get Schneider from Vancouver and that you can't just take a look at what past trades have yielded for young goalies who have not yet played a season as a starter. For the record, I'm expecting a fairly modest return for Luongo so it's not like I think that every Canuck player needs an overpayment.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:17 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
less Schneider, more Edler.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
less Schneider, more Edler.
Edler + 1st cond. if Edler walks(unlikely) for Eberle.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:39 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Exactly. They just gave Devan Dubnyk a Luongo like cap hit.

The Oilers are spending almost as much as the Canucks on their goaltending duo.
Dubnyk's contract is for 3.5mil and not for the next 9 yrs or what ever it is and he is a lot younger. Khabi's contract is a bad one at 4.75 but is gone after this year, at least the Oiler's are saving money on that terrible contract. Also Horc was due 6mil in cash this year so he must be pissed as his contract cash starts to drop next year.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:44 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
I would be all over a deal like that but it is Luongo's cap hit of 5.33mil for the next 10 yrs that won't work in EDM, the reason is that we have to pay money out to our fab 5.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
oilers1084

Quote:
Edler + 1st cond. if Edler walks(unlikely) for Eberle.
Just give it up you guys. Yo aren't getting any of the big 4. Plus this offer is a joke. I honestly don't think Vancouver as anything that could get any of the big four.

oilers1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers1084 View Post
Just give it up you guys. Yo aren't getting any of the big 4. Plus this offer is a joke. I honestly don't think Vancouver as anything that could get any of the big four.
I don't think Edmonton has anyone that could get Edler apart from the big 4. Edler is a top 15 dman in the league. If he was signed long-term it would be the Oilers who'd be adding.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:59 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Vancouver isn't going to trade a franchise goaltender to a team in its division.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
oilers1084

Quote:
I don't think Edmonton has anyone that could get Edler apart from the big 4. Edler is a top 15 dman in the league. If he was signed long-term it would be the Oilers who'd be adding.
Good luck with that. And Edmonton still wouldn't do it from there perspective. He's great defense men don't get me wrong, but he's not a player Edmonton would trade one of there big 4 for.

oilers1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
..but the fact is, he is not signed and the Canucks have a lot to do to create the space to sign him whilst still having enough space to sign some other warm bodies to their roster.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
..but the fact is, he is not signed and the Canucks have a lot to do to create the space to sign him whilst still having enough space to sign some other warm bodies to their roster.
We aren't shopping him, though. An Oil fan inquired what it would take, and it would take a similar calibre forward for us to even consider moving him. If the price is too high, we're perfectly happy keeping him.

His contract length is immaterial in terms of his value to us right now unless he said he was unwilling to re-sign.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
We aren't shopping him, though. An Oil fan inquired what it would take, and it would take a similar calibre forward for us to even consider moving him. If the price is too high, we're perfectly happy keeping him.

His contract length is immaterial in terms of his value to us right now unless he said he was unwilling to re-sign.
Fair enough, makes more sense for the Canucks to keep him anyway. A young rebuilding team will not give up significant assets for a pending UFA, a contender would give up something decent at the deadline but there again its at the business end of the year when the Canucks will need him most.