HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Lest We Forget

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2012, 11:45 AM
  #26
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
As much as i respect anyone who is willing to fight for freedom and liberation and human rights and everytime i run into someone in the military always show some kind of gratitude for their mass amounts of courage to risk their lifes for whats right, this sayin has never made any sense. We should never cheer for war, we should never be happy war is upon.
That saying doesn't cheer for war, it admonishes those who do not support the troops. One can disagree with the conflict (whichever one) but can still support the people who serve and the saying points out that, if you cannot do that, you should feel free to take their place. It has nothing to do with cheering for war.



Quote:
I dont stand behind our troops, i stand behind the message that right is right and everyone deserves to be equal, whether you be a homosexual,woman,man from Canada or Iraq, born with a tail or deformity, we are all one.
I guess you don't realize that the only reason you are free to express your views is because people served?



Quote:
But i will never stand behind the message that going to war is right.
Then you are unbelievably ignorant. Not all wars are just but some are so you cannot make absolutist statements like yours. WW II was a just war and its goals could not have been achieved through any other means. Sometimes you have to stand up for what is right.


Quote:
This message is saying the only options you have include war, which is some cases isnt always true.
Not always, no. But in many cases it is.



Quote:
I support what our troops fight for, but i dont support our troops killing innocent people.
Do you not even realize that, in claiming to support what the troops fight for, you are contradicting yourself? And innocent people are not killed intentionally nor are they killed because of our troops - they are killed because of those who start the conflict (we don't start them).

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
  #27
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathor View Post
Remembrance day is not a message about wars. It's a reminder to be thankful to those who chose to serve their country and laid their life on the line so we can have what we have today.
And, as mentioned above, if you can spare a moment to speak to a veteran please take the time to do so. As a military historian and a member of the Royal Canadian Legion I can assure you that the veterans you meet while they are out selling poppies will appreciate the kindness that comes from just a moment or two of pleasant conversation.



Quote:
Keep in mind that being in the military is the ONLY job in Canada where it is legal to be asked to do something in which you may die.
Cops and firefighters as well.


Quote:
The courage it takes to accomplish these tasks isn't something to take lightly.
Very true.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
  #28
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
I am willing to take the infraction, but i completly and whole-heartedly agree with this. Our troops are fighting a war in Iraq that we have no right in. There comes a point in time where fighting a war isnt needed yet still forced.
Canadian troops did not fight in the Iraq war. And the very few that were there were advisers or were fulfilling NORAD duties as opposed to being directly involved in combat. We were in Afghanistan, but not Iraq.


Quote:
In 1939, we fought for the rights of a whole religion
No, we did not. The Holocaust hadn't even started in 1939 so how could we have been fighting for a whole religion? Methinks you need to read a history textbook or two as your grasp of Canadian history is a sad indictment of whichever school you graduated from.

If you want to stick to your opinions that is fine but at least learn some facts and base your opinion on those because your statements here indicate that you have formed an opinion without having even the most basic understanding of the topics at hand.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:59 AM
  #29
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
Wait, I thought Remembrance Day was about remembering those from WW1 and WW2. Even more specifcally WW1, which is where we get the date for remembering.

It has evolved and conflicts (WW II, Korean War, etc.) have been added as time has passed.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:01 PM
  #30
Budsfan
Registered User
 
Budsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,726
vCash: 500
Remembrance Day is to honour and show respect for all the men and women that fought and some times died, or were maimed, in all the wars or peace keeping missions, since WW1 to the present, with 2 minutes of silence on November 11th at 11AM.

Politics or religion have no place in this discussion, it is irrelevant, only the sacrifices of the people, of every stripe that went and put their lives on the line, to uphold their and our right to live in this country.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:08 PM
  #31
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Remember those soldeirs are fellow human-beings that died for what they thought was right and felt necessary to protect evreyone back home. You can support fallen brothers/sisters/fathers/mothers without suppoorting the war. I don't know what would have happened if they didn't do what they did but I know what did happen because they did what they did. I may not support everything that happened but they sacrificed so I'd have the right to not support it which is a bigger sacrifice that any. For that I am thankful and will remember those fellow PEOPLE!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:00 PM
  #32
Predaleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Canadian troops did not fight in the Iraq war. And the very few that were there were advisers or were fulfilling NORAD duties as opposed to being directly involved in combat. We were in Afghanistan, but not Iraq.




No, we did not. The Holocaust hadn't even started in 1939 so how could we have been fighting for a whole religion? Methinks you need to read a history textbook or two as your grasp of Canadian history is a sad indictment of whichever school you graduated from.

If you want to stick to your opinions that is fine but at least learn some facts and base your opinion on those because your statements here indicate that you have formed an opinion without having even the most basic understanding of the topics at hand.
So, well here is the stats. Even though Canada and the Canadian government never officially declared war against iraq when the invasion happened in 2001, we had spent more than 300million to help support the war.

Since the war started, 158 Canadians have been killed in this war, that you say we are not fighting. 6 were killed by Friendly Fire as well. Now compared to other deaths this isnt alot, but that is 158 Canadian families with no son/father/mother/brother/sister coming home. As well as the fact that 3 of our troops, have committed suicide, while fighting , ahain in a war you state we are not involved in. Just because the government never officially states we are in a war, anything the Americans do, more than likely we are right beside them.

Most wars we join as the Peacemakers. Also in 2011, DND released the number of wounded soldiers sitting at 1,859 and 1,214 of them were wounded outside of action.

When the invasion happened, the Canadian forces sent their first element of soldiers, secretly of course. Only this year did Harper in the Nato Summit, say that we will stop fighting, while some soldiers will stay in Afghanistan till 2014 to help train their army.

Also, in August of 2012 we,deported an American, who after fighting for 3 months in 2006, left because she was disturbed by what she say. Kimberly Rivera fought for the Army and has 4 kids. She is now in Military custody. Being forced to fight in a war she doesnt want to.

So, with that said, now onto the WW2 fact.

On september 1st in 1939, Germany invaded Poland. 2 days later France and the British Colonies declared war on Germany. and a week later so September 10th Canada declared war on Germany.

Meaning we were in war on Septemeber 10th 1939, nice try bud.

The Thrid Reich or Nazi party was put into power in 1933 with the election of Paul Von Hinderberg.

PVH helped the Nazis get into power, he allowed most of Hitlers ideas in 1933, because he saw a limited team Hitler ahd while Chancellor and believe any radical moves could not happen. As Hitler was Chancellor he was number 2, so he did nothing to offended the Army or president.

In 1934 PVH Died of Lung Cancer and Hitler became President. While in the great depression he had created jobs for a big amount of Germans, using Military money and government spending.

In 1937 Hitler opened up Entartete Kunst, which is degenerate art. The only art allowed was Germany and many pieces were racist pieces. The Gestapo and Henrich Himmlers men wiped out any part that was against the way Hitler say this and then killed Jews. All before 1939,Hitler would threaten war if France and Britain didnt do what he said, so they went along with Some of his things hoping he would be satisfied.

On November 9/10th of 1938, Kristallnacht happened.

Kristallnacht was what many call the night of broken glass, as Nazis killed 91 Jews and locked up 30,000 in concecntration camps, 1000 Synagogues were burned and any all Jewish hospitals,school,homes were broken into and destroyed by attackers.

the New York times wrote this- ""No foreign propagandist bent upon blackening Germany before the world could outdo the tale of burnings and beatings, of blackguardly assaults on defenseless and innocent people, which disgraced that country yesterday."

So, if you want to say everything i said above went unnoticed and we went into war in 1939 just to join you can, but i have more than basic knowledge of this stuff. My understanding is above most, as i research this on a wide scale. Have fun, with your retort, im sure it will be great

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
  #33
Predaleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
That saying doesn't cheer for war, it admonishes those who do not support the troops. One can disagree with the conflict (whichever one) but can still support the people who serve and the saying points out that, if you cannot do that, you should feel free to take their place. It has nothing to do with cheering for war.
Showing support for our troops is different. the statement i was talking about is saying that our troops no matter what are always in the right. Stating you have no other option but support them. I do not cheer for war, nor do i support what our troops are fighting for. I wish everyone over there the best of luck and hope not 1 single person is hurt, but to say i do not support the fact that we have 21 year old kids being killed to fight a war we should not be in. I have watched alot of videos, read alot of papers and believe this war could have been avoided if Bush (both SR, JR) did their jobs.




Quote:
I guess you don't realize that the only reason you are free to express your views is because people served?
My sisters husband is stationed in Japan right now and works with the American Army. I tell him i respect him for fighting to save our rights, but i do not accept fighting in a war that can be avoided





Quote:
Then you are unbelievably ignorant. Not all wars are just but some are so you cannot make absolutist statements like yours. WW II was a just war and its goals could not have been achieved through any other means. Sometimes you have to stand up for what is right.
In the comment below you quote me as saying "This message is saying the only options you have include war, which is some cases isnt always true." I understand in some cases, their is no option like World War 2, and i would support our troops in a fight for rights that some are being withheld. But in some cases War is not needed like the one we are fighting now.


Quote:
Not always, no. But in many cases it is.
Again, you just said that in some cases it is not needed, so why show support for the deaths of many, when there are ways around it. I have already stated when it is needed, i show support to our troops, and will gladly fight beside them, but i do not support a war that is not needed



Quote:
Do you not even realize that, in claiming to support what the troops fight for, you are contradicting yourself? And innocent people are not killed intentionally nor are they killed because of our troops - they are killed because of those who start the conflict (we don't start them).
I miswrote and meant "I support what our troops fight for, when needed..."

Again, as stated above, when a war is needed, i will be behind them 100%, but until i see a war that is needed, i can`t. WW1,WW2 these are wars needed, fighting for the rights others had taken away. Iraq should have very easily been done before 2001, and i am a firm believer that BUsh was apart of it. Get the American people to see that Iraq is full of bad people see we can go get oil from them.

You have your opinion, i have mine, i can find alot of holes in yours, you can find alot of holes in mine. Is this debate, needed?IDK, but i will continue to respond to anything else you have to say.

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
  #34
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
Since the war started, 158 Canadians have been killed in this war, that you say we are not fighting. 6 were killed by Friendly Fire as well.
Do you not understand the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?


Quote:
When the invasion happened, the Canadian forces sent their first element of soldiers, secretly of course. Only this year did Harper in the Nato Summit, say that we will stop fighting, while some soldiers will stay in Afghanistan till 2014 to help train their army.
Again, do you not understand the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?



Quote:
Also, in August of 2012 we,deported an American, who after fighting for 3 months in 2006, left because she was disturbed by what she say. Kimberly Rivera fought for the Army and has 4 kids. She is now in Military custody. Being forced to fight in a war she doesnt want to.
She wasn't drafted, she and everyone else is a volunteer. They took everything the military had to offer (pay, training, etc.) but then didn't want to so their duty. Darned right they should be sent back to the US to face their legal system.



Quote:
On september 1st in 1939, Germany invaded Poland. 2 days later France and the British Colonies declared war on Germany. and a week later so September 10th Canada declared war on Germany.
Gee, thanks for the info. Do you think it is a news flash or something? I wish they had taught me that during my B.A. in History, my Master's degree in military history, or sometime during the first four years of my PhD in military history.


Quote:
Meaning we were in war on Septemeber 10th 1939
Wow, thanks for the news flash.


Quote:
nice try bud.
No, the nice try is yours. And it is hilarious.


Quote:
The Thrid Reich or Nazi party was put into power in 1933 with the election of Paul Von Hinderberg.
Wow, nice fail.

Hindenburg (you might try getting his name correct) came to power in 1925 and he was not a member of the Nazi party.



Quote:
PVH helped the Nazis get into power, he allowed most of Hitlers ideas in 1933, because he saw a limited team Hitler ahd while Chancellor and believe any radical moves could not happen. As Hitler was Chancellor he was number 2, so he did nothing to offended the Army or president.
You might want to do a little research. While Hindenburg played a key role in the Nazi rise to power, he and Hitler detested each other and he was most certainly not Hitler's #2.


Quote:
In 1934 PVH Died of Lung Cancer and Hitler became President. While in the great depression he had created jobs for a big amount of Germans, using Military money and government spending.
And another news flash.



Quote:
In 1937 Hitler opened up Entartete Kunst, which is degenerate art. The only art allowed was Germany and many pieces were racist pieces. The Gestapo and Henrich Himmlers men wiped out any part that was against the way Hitler say this and then killed Jews.
Wow, you're a real credit to whichever high school you graduated from as you couldn't be more wrong. The killing of Jews started behind the lines on the Russian Front and progressed from there to mass killings. That was not in 1939 - maybe you should look up some details on Operation Barbarossa. In fact, Hitler used Jews as it suited him (primarily for economic purposes) until they were of no further use to him.


Quote:
All before 1939,Hitler would threaten war if France and Britain didnt do what he said, so they went along with Some of his things hoping he would be satisfied.
Wow, thanks for informing me that appeasement happened.


Quote:
On November 9/10th of 1938, Kristallnacht happened.
Again, thanks for the news flash. Are you getting all of this from Wikipedia or something?





Quote:
So, if you want to say everything i said above went unnoticed and we went into war in 1939 just to join you can, but i have more than basic knowledge of this stuff.
No, you really don't. In fact, you barely have the most basic grasp on what happened or why. If you'd like to learn some facts send me a PM and I'll provide you with a list of books from which you might actually learn something.



Quote:
My understanding is above most, as i research this on a wide scale.

No, your understanding is tenuous at best. You barely know the most basic of facts and you certainly do not have a real grasp on what happened or why. But keep convincing yourself that you do - I'll put my history degrees and the fact that I teach both modern European history and military history at the university level up against your alleged 'research' any day.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:07 PM
  #35
Predaleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Do you not understand the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?




Again, do you not understand the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?





She wasn't drafted, she and everyone else is a volunteer. They took everything the military had to offer (pay, training, etc.) but then didn't want to so their duty. Darned right they should be sent back to the US to face their legal system.





Gee, thanks for the info. Do you think it is a news flash or something? I wish they had taught me that during my B.A. in History, my Master's degree in military history, or sometime during the first four years of my PhD in military history.




Wow, thanks for the news flash.




No, the nice try is yours. And it is hilarious.




Wow, nice fail.

Hindenburg (you might try getting his name correct) came to power in 1925 and he was not a member of the Nazi party.





You might want to do a little research. While Hindenburg played a key role in the Nazi rise to power, he and Hitler detested each other and he was most certainly not Hitler's #2.




And another news flash.





Wow, you're a real credit to whichever high school you graduated from as you couldn't be more wrong. The killing of Jews started behind the lines on the Russian Front and progressed from there to mass killings. That was not in 1939 - maybe you should look up some details on Operation Barbarossa. In fact, Hitler used Jews as it suited him (primarily for economic purposes) until they were of no further use to him.




Wow, thanks for informing me that appeasement happened.




Again, thanks for the news flash. Are you getting all of this from Wikipedia or something?







No, you really don't. In fact, you barely have the most basic grasp on what happened or why. If you'd like to learn some facts send me a PM and I'll provide you with a list of books from which you might actually learn something.






No, your understanding is tenuous at best. You barely know the most basic of facts and you certainly do not have a real grasp on what happened or why. But keep convincing yourself that you do - I'll put my history degrees and the fact that I teach both modern European history and military history at the university level up against your alleged 'research' any day.

I am laughing that all you have stated is "I have degrees and i know" with very limited responses to anything i said. so thanks for lowering my IQ dumb****. Im glad you "know your stuff" and can come up with very limited responses. Jackass

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
  #36
RollTheBones109
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Do you not understand the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?

Again, do you not understand the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?

She wasn't drafted, she and everyone else is a volunteer. They took everything the military had to offer (pay, training, etc.) but then didn't want to so their duty. Darned right they should be sent back to the US to face their legal system.

Gee, thanks for the info. Do you think it is a news flash or something? I wish they had taught me that during my B.A. in History, my Master's degree in military history, or sometime during the first four years of my PhD in military history.

Wow, thanks for the news flash.

No, the nice try is yours. And it is hilarious.

Wow, nice fail.

Hindenburg (you might try getting his name correct) came to power in 1925 and he was not a member of the Nazi party.

You might want to do a little research. While Hindenburg played a key role in the Nazi rise to power, he and Hitler detested each other and he was most certainly not Hitler's #2.

And another news flash.

Wow, you're a real credit to whichever high school you graduated from as you couldn't be more wrong. The killing of Jews started behind the lines on the Russian Front and progressed from there to mass killings. That was not in 1939 - maybe you should look up some details on Operation Barbarossa. In fact, Hitler used Jews as it suited him (primarily for economic purposes) until they were of no further use to him.

Wow, thanks for informing me that appeasement happened.

Again, thanks for the news flash. Are you getting all of this from Wikipedia or something?

No, you really don't. In fact, you barely have the most basic grasp on what happened or why. If you'd like to learn some facts send me a PM and I'll provide you with a list of books from which you might actually learn something.

No, your understanding is tenuous at best. You barely know the most basic of facts and you certainly do not have a real grasp on what happened or why. But keep convincing yourself that you do - I'll put my history degrees and the fact that I teach both modern European history and military history at the university level up against your alleged 'research' any day.
Excellent post. If you don't mind my asking, at which institution do you teach?

Also, on topic, despite my smug remark earlier, I do think November 11th is an important day. I'm with the crowds downtown Ottawa every year, rain or shine.


Last edited by RollTheBones109: 10-29-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: shortened quote
RollTheBones109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  #37
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
I am laughing that all you have stated is "I have degrees and i know" with very limited responses to anything i said. so thanks for lowering my IQ dumb****. Im glad you "know your stuff" and can come up with very limited responses. Jackass
Yeah, sorry that I have to run out for a couple of hours so don't have the time to educate you but why don't you try responding to what I actually said? I'll be more than happy to correct your next mistakes when I get home after dinnertime tonight.

Being uninformed isn't a bad thing as many of us are uninformed on many topics, it only becomes a bad thing when combined with arrogance like yours as it leads to protestations of knowledge where none exists. And that takes a special kind of arrogance. I've forgotten more about European military history than you have ever learned but go ahead and keep pretending that you are knowledgeable as anyone with half a clue will see you for the uneducated and uninformed individual that you really are.

And I'll challenge you again - try dealing with that I actually said...and without using Wikipedia this time.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:17 PM
  #38
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTheBones109 View Post
Excellent post.
Thanks.


Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, at which institution do you teach?

PM me and I'll gladly tell you there but that isn't really information for a public forum.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:28 PM
  #39
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
It has evolved and conflicts (WW II, Korean War, etc.) have been added as time has passed.
I still wonder why ceremonies at schools and such have taken such a turn from the WW into our 'peacekeeping' missions.

Literally the last couple years I have seen these ceremonies they aren't even about the WW, which I believe is what we should be remembering.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:30 PM
  #40
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
I still wonder why ceremonies at schools and such have taken such a turn from the WW into our 'peacekeeping' missions.

Literally the last couple years I have seen these ceremonies they aren't even about the WW, which I believe is what we should be remembering.
As more liberal attitudes have taken hold in the education ministry the content of what they teach, to say nothing of these ceremonies, has changed. When my son was younger one of their ceremonies had nothing to do with the war except for the atomic bomb attacks and I was beside myself that that was all the kids were being taught.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
  #41
nsleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Sometimes wars start because one person/country thinks they are smarter(or less of a dumbass) than others, just like happens on some internet discussion forums.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:13 PM
  #42
departures89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Peru
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
My Grandpa was laid to rest on August 22nd of this year. He was 94 years old and fought in World War II. I will always respect people like my Grandpa for the sacrifices he made to make this world a better place. While I may not support the notion of war itself, I will always support the troops and never forget. Keep my Grandpa's legacy alive. Buy a poppy. Take your moment of silence. Do your part to remember those who fought for the freedoms you enjoy today.

departures89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:17 PM
  #43
departures89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Peru
Posts: 202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
I still wonder why ceremonies at schools and such have taken such a turn from the WW into our 'peacekeeping' missions.

Literally the last couple years I have seen these ceremonies they aren't even about the WW, which I believe is what we should be remembering.
As an educator in an Ontario high school, I can honestly say that the inherent lack of knowledge and respect for veterans shown by students and fellow educators today sickens me.

Of course this is my personal experience and I hope that others have had better experiences in schools across Canada with remembering our veterans.

departures89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:10 PM
  #44
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by departures89 View Post
As an educator in an Ontario high school, I can honestly say that the inherent lack of knowledge and respect for veterans shown by students and fellow educators today sickens me.

Of course this is my personal experience and I hope that others have had better experiences in schools across Canada with remembering our veterans.
And, sadly, each year there are fewer and fewer veterans left with us. Can you just imagine what it will be like when we no longer have them around to provide us with first-hand accounts of their experiences?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:48 PM
  #45
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 12,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And, sadly, each year there are fewer and fewer veterans left with us. Can you just imagine what it will be like when we no longer have them around to provide us with first-hand accounts of their experiences?
Unfortunately, it doesn't need to be imagined, it is already the case for the First World War. The last person to serve in that conflict, a British woman, died this past February.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:08 PM
  #46
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
...and for God's sake, stop and take the time to talk to them because they usually very much appreciate people giving them the time of day. As John Prine said:

"So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello."
AMEN.

Another Singer had a good point with:

"All, gave some.
Some gave all.
......

So If you ever think of me,
Think of all your liberties and recall,
Yes recall... SOME, GAVE, ALL"

-Billy Ray Cyrus (of all poeple)

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:09 PM
  #47
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorityRules View Post
Just to back up your third comment, some recent things we (I'm still a serving member) as a military have done besides shooting people or waging war.

Hurricane relief for Newfoundland after Igor cut off dozens of communities. My ship (HMCS St Johns) was the first to respond as we were in St Johns when it hit.

Hurricane relief for Haiti in 2008 as well as earthquake relief for Haiti in 2010.

Hurricane relief for New Orleans after Katrina devastated them.

Our military was there for the ice storms in Quebec, the Red River flooding in Manitoba, the 1999 Toronto winter emergency, Hurricane Juan in Halifax, the 2003 power failure, the Saguenay river flood and far too many to mention Search and Rescue operations.

We are also huge contributors to the GCWCC - Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign along with too many to mention local support campaigns.

The best part about it is how many of us volunteer to do these things. There is nothing better than lending a helping hand to someone who really needs it.
Indeed. I've been out for close to 20 years yet continue to volunteer with air search and rescue. I'm the Training Officer and Chief Air Navigator for a zone working under CFB Greenwood where I train all other volunteers and also help the military train, from Greenwood to Trenton to Winnipeg both their pilots and their SAR Techs. I get multiple calls per year to help with people missing or in distress. Got one last Monday first thing in the morning while at my normal day job. The next couple days I'm on call for Emergency Measures Organization (due to storm) and a few weeks ago I was on 24/7 call to organize forest fire attack.

There's politics in everything but at the end of the day, some people choose to serve and try to make the world a better place. I think that's something worth remembering. I wish more people would volunteer. It seems to have died with older generations.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:32 PM
  #48
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Indeed. I've been out for close to 20 years yet continue to volunteer with air search and rescue. I'm the Training Officer and Chief Air Navigator for a zone working under CFB Greenwood where I train all other volunteers and also help the military train, from Greenwood to Trenton to Winnipeg both their pilots and their SAR Techs. I get multiple calls per year to help with people missing or in distress. Got one last Monday first thing in the morning while at my normal day job. The next couple days I'm on call for Emergency Measures Organization (due to storm) and a few weeks ago I was on 24/7 call to organize forest fire attack.

There's politics in everything but at the end of the day, some people choose to serve and try to make the world a better place. I think that's something worth remembering. I wish more people would volunteer. It seems to have died with older generations.
The world is a busier place than it used to be. Also people who were retired and volunteering at 60 are now working until 75.

I try to donate what I can. Usually for kids. And the Food bank.

It's a sobering thought, particulary during a lockout where Billionaires are fighting with millionaires, to think that within the distance you could walk there are likely people going to bed hungry.

I hate sobering thoughts. But really, do you need that $150 pair of shoes or would that $130 pair be good and you donate $20 worth of food?

We are lucky to live in such a rich and prosperous country and we owe that to our men and women in service.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
  #49
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
The world is a busier place than it used to be. Also people who were retired and volunteering at 60 are now working until 75.

I try to donate what I can. Usually for kids. And the Food bank.

It's a sobering thought, particulary during a lockout where Billionaires are fighting with millionaires, to think that within the distance you could walk there are likely people going to bed hungry.

I hate sobering thoughts. But really, do you need that $150 pair of shoes or would that $130 pair be good and you donate $20 worth of food?

We are lucky to live in such a rich and prosperous country and we owe that to our men and women in service.
I'll never understand that. Even if I won the $50 M you'd still never see me buying designer anything. Heck I still wear lots of clothes and even shoes that date back to late 80's and early 90's. I suppose I should sell them as vintage?

I think the same as you. Why waste on frivolity when there's so many (human and animal) in need?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
  #50
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I'll never understand that. Even if I won the $50 M you'd still never see me buying designer anything. Heck I still wear lots of clothes and even shoes that date back to late 80's and early 90's. I suppose I should sell them as vintage?

I think the same as you. Why waste on frivolity when there's so many (human and animal) in need?
I wish I could house 100 dogs.

I'm a sucker for those SPCA commercials. Even worse than the starving kids in Africa.

Speaking of the poor kids of Africa, it bugs me that the people in the commercials are millionaires and talk abouit how cheap it is to support a child and then only have 1 or 2 that they support.

Buy the village some goats or a cow or dig a well. You're rich!

Now I don't have a lot. But I know other have far less. I try to give a little but I should give more.

Percentage wise I only donate 2-3% of my income. BUt if everyone did that I think the world would be a lot further ahead.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.