Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

StoneHill College ??????

Old
10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
StoneHill College ??????

Anyone know anything about Stonehill college.

My daughter is interested in it, and we will be taking a tour
this Friday.

Thanks

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:34 PM
mashmont

vCash: 500
When looking at colleges collegeboard.org is a great review site.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...onehillCollege

Hope this helps. I don't really know much from personal experience.

mashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:38 PM
whatsbruin

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupahSeguin View Post
When looking at colleges collegeboard.org is a great review site.

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/c...onehillCollege

Hope this helps. I don't really know much from personal experience.
Thanks, know about that site.

I'm just looking for some first hand experience or 2nd hand news.

whatsbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Justin St Pierre

I know one alumnus and two current students. I've never heard anything negative said about it. It seems to have a real sense of community on campus, which isn't abnormal for a smaller school like that. All three are so happy to have gone there/go there. Obviously, the small school experience isn't for everyone. In my opinion, the campus is very, very nice, though a bit isolated in the event you wanted to go off-campus for food or an event or whatever, but that's the only first-hand thing I can offer (I've attended two colleges in Massachusetts; only visited others).

Justin St Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Ratty

Catholic College administered by the Holy Cross Fathers, the same order that runs Notre Dame. Beautiful campus in Easton, MA. About 1/2 hr. to 45 min. from Boston with all it has to offer.

I have a friend whose son graduated there and is now an accountant for a prestigious national accounting firm.

One of my buddies from college (not Stonehill) taught Romance Languages there for several years and was proud to be a member of the faculty.

Has an excellent Irish studies program with a collection of authentic documents. It also has a school in the Republic of Ireland for exchange purposes.

The College counts Andrew Card, former Chief of Staff to President George H. Bush, among its graduates.

Last edited by Ratty: 10-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Alicat
Charge!

My sister loved it. Beautiful school, great academics, small class size.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Just checked their website because I was curious...$35,000/year tuition + room and board? I hope she has some scholarships or doesn't mind being a slave to debt for 30 year after graduation.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Just checked their website because I was curious...$35,000/year tuition + room and board? I hope she has some scholarships or doesn't mind being a slave to debt for 30 year after graduation.
As is with all colleges these days...

Just about on par with other colleges.

They also have a good financial aid package

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
As is with all colleges these days...

Just about on par with other colleges.

They also have a good financial aid package
all colleges? Not for an in state student going to a state school.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
You need to get out more, 35k + for tuition is the norm, not the exception for private schools. It's actually a little low.

My wife went to Stonehill for a year and transferred because of her major. She loved it there and her and my daughter visited last week and raved about it afterwards. My daughter said it's #3 on her list now and she will definitely be applying there.

Glad to hear about the good aid packages

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
Quote:
all colleges? Not for an in state student going to a state school.
Pretty much all college's minus state schools for in state students. Umass Amherst is $36K for tuition and room and board for out of state students. Tack on another $1500 for textbooks and what not, you can see how that logic only applies to instate student scenarios. Most schools these are going to be $35K+

Glory Daze is correct, Stonehill is actually on the lower side in terms of cost for the academics that it offers. Providence College, a school in the same ballpark, is charging about $52K, BC is in the $50-55K area.

Stonehill is a great school, the only problem is that Easton really has very little to offer. I have friends who go there and say the same thing, its a great school but it certainly is not a thriving college town or anything.

Patrice37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
SPB2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin St Pierre View Post
I know one alumnus and two current students. I've never heard anything negative said about it. It seems to have a real sense of community on campus, which isn't abnormal for a smaller school like that. All three are so happy to have gone there/go there. Obviously, the small school experience isn't for everyone. In my opinion, the campus is very, very nice, though a bit isolated in the event you wanted to go off-campus for food or an event or whatever, but that's the only first-hand thing I can offer (I've attended two colleges in Massachusetts; only visited others).
Quite to the contrary on the food. There are several restaurants (99, Owen O'Leary's) lots of pizza places nearby that deliver. Not far from one of the better parts of Brockton

SPB2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 03:26 PM
CDJ*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin View Post
Anyone know anything about Stonehill college.

My daughter is interested in it, and we will be taking a tour
this Friday.

Thanks
I applied and got in, took a couple of tours, but ended up going to Elon University instead. I really did like Stonehill a lot though as it is a very nice school.

CDJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Justin St Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPB2776 View Post
Quite to the contrary on the food. There are several restaurants (99, Owen O'Leary's) lots of pizza places nearby that deliver. Not far from one of the better parts of Brockton
Figures. I've never made a useful post on this forum, and I still haven't.

(I meant it'd be helpful to have a car on-campus, or friends with a car, which I still stand by...but I think it's helpful to have a car on-campus at all suburban and rural schools).

Old
10-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
There is nothing more detrimental to my generation than students going $100k+ in debt to go to a mid to lower level liberal arts school. They get duped by the BS like You wont get lost, or its a tight community when you could get a much better and more marketable education from a state school.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of schools out there worth the money and stonehill may be one of them, but there are plenty of rip offs, especially schools that used to be junior colleges then jumped onto the high tuition wave.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Justin St Pierre

Yeah...I'm not one to tell other people how to manage their finances, but for the record, I did attend both a private university and a state one. The state one was more serious about academics, offered me more opportunities to carve out my own path, and provided me with a ton of assistance and connections job-wise. One of my professors got two students internships at a major company years ago, and every summer since they always asked for students from that particular school because they were the only ones who knew anything and had a work ethic. Obviously, I mean not to discredit what private schools do, or the students who attend them. In my individualized experience, I'd never have even looked at private schools if I could again. I also understand that different people have different ideas about what they want from a school; I'm admittedly introverted and really just wanted to be there for academics and not an experience/anything social. That said, I think there's a ton of merit in those kinds of things for people who want them, and if someone individually chooses to pay that much to get a different experience, I can't tell them it isn't worth it for them personally just because it wasn't worth it for someone as abnormal as I am (rarest Myers-Briggs personality type, IQ of 141, went on a date each time Blake Wheeler stayed onside for a total of two dates in my life...).

Old
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
MattFromFranklin

Wasn't Stonehill nationally ranked in an article a few years ago for having some of the nicest dorms in the country? Could have sworn I read that in an article.

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:44 PM
SPB2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
Wasn't Stonehill nationally ranked in an article a few years ago for having some of the nicest dorms in the country? Could have sworn I read that in an article.
It is an absolutely beautiful campus. Was never in the dorms, but I covered a bunch of games there. Incredible facilities.

Last edited by SPB2776: 10-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.
SPB2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
It looks like a nice college.

My friend Jerry goes there and his apparently his roommate Barry smells like ****.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
flannelman
They're,Their,There

vCash: 920
food - like most institutions in NE - Sodexho (last I knew) does the on-campus meals. for all intensive purposes, it's the same.

when I've visited friends there in the past, the dorms looked nice.

small school - 2500 Full Time Enrollment.

I don't think they have many grad programs. maybe just business. I've heard of a lot of UK study abroad opportunities - one girl I knew has stayed in Scotland.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Jdawg*
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!

Its a great school. Food is amazing, Dorms are awesome. Tons of nice people. Really cool professors.

Jdawg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:35 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin St Pierre View Post
Yeah...I'm not one to tell other people how to manage their finances, but for the record, I did attend both a private university and a state one. The state one was more serious about academics, offered me more opportunities to carve out my own path, and provided me with a ton of assistance and connections job-wise. One of my professors got two students internships at a major company years ago, and every summer since they always asked for students from that particular school because they were the only ones who knew anything and had a work ethic. Obviously, I mean not to discredit what private schools do, or the students who attend them. In my individualized experience, I'd never have even looked at private schools if I could again. I also understand that different people have different ideas about what they want from a school; I'm admittedly introverted and really just wanted to be there for academics and not an experience/anything social. That said, I think there's a ton of merit in those kinds of things for people who want them, and if someone individually chooses to pay that much to get a different experience, I can't tell them it isn't worth it for them personally just because it wasn't worth it for someone as abnormal as I am (rarest Myers-Briggs personality type, IQ of 141, went on a date each time Blake Wheeler stayed onside for a total of two dates in my life...).
Have two close friends (wedding party) who went to Salem State and Southeastern Mass and both are certifiable millionaires after (separately) starting successful and I might add first business. The rest of the crew as nuts as they were and still are do well- I'm probably the low man but according to what I been reading I'm rich but doesn't seem like it. If I did it all over again I'd still go to Salem State and get a degree and have a great time. Degrees are great but in the end it is the person. I could care less hiring if you are Ivy or JUCO.

the Blake Wheeler comment alone shows you have a sense of humor....however, if you are still going by that premise you are getting more ass than John Holmes during his MVP season. Wheeler turned the corner in Winnipeg where on sides became the norm.

ok, time to go watch football with my dog and pray that this storm doesnt take out that big mother ****ing tree in the back yard and take out my garden house and my neighbors fence (which I also use, but he bought it first and I just added the rest of the look)

Last edited by DKH: 10-29-2012 at 07:41 PM.
DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

I am a firm believer in the adage that an education is what you make of it, but that being said, all colleges are not created equal.

I attended both a private university and a public one (Hofstra and UMass) and my experience was the opposite of JSP's. IMO, the private school was more "serious" about education and offered the much better network in the field I wanted to study, and if I had the money I would have stayed there. I think a lot depends on a person's major and what their personal preferences are. The good thing is that there is a type of school to fit everybody's taste.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I am a firm believer in the adage that an education is what you make of it, but that being said, all colleges are not created equal.

I attended both a private university and a public one (Hofstra and UMass) and my experience was the opposite of JSP's. IMO, the private school was more "serious" about education and offered the much better network in the field I wanted to study, and if I had the money I would have stayed there. I think a lot depends on a person's major and what their personal preferences are. The good thing is that there is a type of school to fit everybody's taste.
Yea I don't really see it as a private vs public thing...more gauging the value of the education you are paying for.. I feel college councilors hardly ever mention this. It all fluffy stuff about which school makes you feel happy and what not.

I went to Northeastern, it was not cheap in the least but it was a serious school that got me the connections I needed. I just feel there are some flat out bad deals out there. Lots of junior colleges turned 4 year schools that are lower tiers, charging the high tuition and playing up the "small community feel".

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Justin St Pierre

Interesting. I think it just shows how individualized the college experience is. I have a hard time imagining many people in that 18-22 age range (well, it was a state school, so 18-26 was more like it; ironically I got my bachelor's at 20 and master's at 21...I was surprised they let me graduate without an entire window covered in parking decals ) would have really gotten much out of what I did.

The social experience is important, too, because nothing in life is isolated. Having a college experience can parlay into academic success; I think the confidence of new friendships and the feeling of belonging, at that age, really helps people who did not succeed in high school become something more in college. Exam scores don't sort you into the world (I wish they did). For me, socialization was talking to all the middle-aged students getting second degrees. By that time, my hair was thinning, I drove a Honda, and Friday nights were for reading non-fiction or briefing legal cases, so those in their early 40s were definitely my kind of people!

I guess that was a long-winded way of coming back to what I had said earlier, that I wouldn't tell people if a state (and I guess even then you have to distinguish; a small commuter school like I went to and UMass aren't the same thing by any means) or a private school (and there, too, you'd have to distinguish) was a better value just because it was for me.