HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Mako vs RS (had an se16 before)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2012, 06:29 AM
  #1
Phoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Easton Mako vs RS (had an se16 before)

Hi all,

What is the main difference between the Easton Mako and RS sticks? What players are they aimed for? I used to have an SE16 and loved it, but now I can't get that one anymore. Is one of the Mako or Rs' similar?

Thanks!

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:40 AM
  #2
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Mako is as close as you're going to get without having an actual SE16. Easton's marketing says that the RS is for accuracy and Mako for speed but in reality, it's all personal preference. They both feel and play differently. The RS has a really fast release and kick and in my own opinion, one of the best out there. What it has in performance it lacks in blade durability, they've made the RS2 blade stiffer and more durable however.

The Mako doesn't particularly excel in any area but I think that's what so appealing to people who've enjoyed the SE16; a no-frills solid product without a noticeable kickpoint and consistent feel.

Of course, the only way to know which one you'll prefer is to try them yourself.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
  #3
oStealthKiller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Mako is as close as you're going to get without having an actual SE16. Easton's marketing says that the RS is for accuracy and Mako for speed but in reality, it's all personal preference. They both feel and play differently. The RS has a really fast release and kick and in my own opinion, one of the best out there. What it has in performance it lacks in blade durability, they've made the RS2 blade stiffer and more durable however.

The Mako doesn't particularly excel in any area but I think that's what so appealing to people who've enjoyed the SE16; a no-frills solid product without a noticeable kickpoint and consistent feel.

Of course, the only way to know which one you'll prefer is to try them yourself.
I will never buy an easton again after the blade on my rs broke after 25 skates, complete garbage

oStealthKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  #4
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,648
vCash: 500
25 skates isn't bad actually. I've never had good luck with Easton blades but haven't used anything from the past few years. Their sticks seem a lot heavier than the competition for the same price.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:59 PM
  #5
opivy
Sauce King
 
opivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Billings, MT
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
I've had great luck with my ST's, I stocked up a bit - they're tanks, shoot hard and feel good.

I do have a Mako M3 and I like it, it's not as light as the top end Mako but it seems pretty close to my old SE16 as far as the puck feel and where my release is.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
  #6
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oStealthKiller View Post
I will never buy an easton again after the blade on my rs broke after 25 skates, complete garbage
Really depends on how hard you play and the level you play at. 25 doesn't mean a whole lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
I've had great luck with my ST's, I stocked up a bit - they're tanks, shoot hard and feel good.

I do have a Mako M3 and I like it, it's not as light as the top end Mako but it seems pretty close to my old SE16 as far as the puck feel and where my release is.
The M5 is the ST replacement and the second generation M5 will be even lighter!

The M3 is pretty good value as well, impressed with the Mako pricepoints this year, especially the M1 and M2.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
  #7
opivy
Sauce King
 
opivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Billings, MT
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
They say the M5 is an ST replacement but the kick points are different. It's a tapered shaft with a low kick - the ST's are mid flex like the Bauer Ones and the AK27's.

I am getting used to the M3 kick point though, makes it a lot easier to shoot off of my shooting foot with just a flick.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 01:40 PM
  #8
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,648
vCash: 500
If they lightened up the Mako series overall it could be worth looking at. For some reason that paint job makes them seem heavier than they are, and the EQ series wasn't that light to begin with.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
  #9
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
They say the M5 is an ST replacement but the kick points are different. It's a tapered shaft with a low kick - the ST's are mid flex like the Bauer Ones and the AK27's.

I am getting used to the M3 kick point though, makes it a lot easier to shoot off of my shooting foot with just a flick.
It's not. They DO say that they are considered low-kicks, but if you compare them to other low kick sticks, they feel quite different. The Synergy lines (including ST iterations and Mako) have always been a traditional kick, as in no engineered kickpoint to the extent of a mid like Supreme or ultra-low like Widow. I would attribute it more so to a 'consistent' taper.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.