HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 11:22 AM
aqib

vCash: 500
weren't the Nordiques going to change their uniforms if they had stayed in QC? I recall something about a uniform with wolves.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Stanley Cup
Global Meowderator

vCash: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
weren't the Nordiques going to change their uniforms if they had stayed in QC? I recall something about a uniform with wolves.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
To go back to what I was saying in the previous thread, they look awful but even back then there was a recognition that the original logos were really looking dated. I'm getting tired of the whole faux-retro thing, sports or otherwise. Why so many people like that godawful throw-items-into-a-circle Sabres logo is beyond me, it looks like the design team woke up one morning pissing themselves because they forgot the deadline for the logo unveiling. People always complain nowadays about everything being recycled from ideas from previous decades yet always get indignant at the thought of someone trying something new for once.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The Citadelles had the best name and logo in QC history

Old
10-29-2012, 03:44 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The Citadelles had the best name and logo in QC history

Really? The name's pretty good, but the logo looks pretty dumb to me.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

It's simple (evocative of the Blackhawks logo), instantly identifiable (no other team in the Big 4 uses a goat as a symbol though many soccer teams do) and has an immense amount of history and cultural significance to it. It's the ideal logo for a QC team, really.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
It's a little different. Because it's so easy for anglophones to avoid accidentally hearing some French, and because it's damn near impossible to escape the anglophone influence, just about any francophone can follow along with an English broadcast, while most anglophones wouldn't be able to pick out more than two or three words in a French broadcast (even now, having studied French rather intensively for three years, I find it extremely difficult to tune my ears to French television because they talk so fast, and just the flowing nature of the language that makes it difficult to tell where one word ends and the next begins).

Obviously that doesn't make a difference for those who are sitting and watching the game, but if you're doing stuff, and have the game on in the background, it's impossible to follow along.
Don't worry it's the same thing for us. Imagine I learned english in the air forces and my teacher was a Major Claire, coming from England If I listen to british programs, no problemo ! But US or canadian english... It's more difficult because of pronounciation, speed, slang etc...

Imagine having to make a phone call in Texas for business !!!

Old
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
barneyg

for sanity's sake, stop bringing the wolves back!!

Old
10-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Stanley Cup
Global Meowderator

vCash: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
for sanity's sake, stop bringing the wolves back!!
Here's the wolf head

Looks like the Citadelles logo too

Old
10-29-2012, 11:32 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
It's simple (evocative of the Blackhawks logo), instantly identifiable (no other team in the Big 4 uses a goat as a symbol though many soccer teams do) and has an immense amount of history and cultural significance to it. It's the ideal logo for a QC team, really.
How the heck is it evocative of the Blackhawks logo, which is one of the best logos in sports? And what is the history and cultural significance of the goat? The goat, to me, has always seemed to be a negative or silly image.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Just as long as they don't use Quebec Athletic Club (Bulldogs) as inspiration for logo and jerseys:

Or this:

(Although with a different logo, such as a fleur-de-lys or the old logo and without the green, it might not look that bad)

Old
10-30-2012, 12:01 AM
aqib

Those wolf jerseys look awful. I like the old jerseys best, but Winnipeg did a great job with their jerseys even though those weren't same as the ones that left.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Kibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
How the heck is it evocative of the Blackhawks logo, which is one of the best logos in sports? And what is the history and cultural significance of the goat? The goat, to me, has always seemed to be a negative or silly image.
I'm only a dude from Ottawa but I'm going to assume since the team in is based in Quebec City and named after the Citadel it has something to do with this group of badasses..

...the Van Doos

Last edited by Kibb: 10-30-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
It's evocative of the Blackhawks logo in the simplicity and the expressiveness of the profile. It's really a wonderful logo regardless of how you feel about the goat as an image in itself. And while a goat might seem silly due to cultural conditioning, this is largely an Anglosphere perception... the most popular soccer team in Mexico, Guadalajara, is nicknamed "chivas" or "the goats" and a Google image search will reveal how much their fans revel in the imagery of the nickname.

The goat is Baptiste, the symbol and mascot of the Royal 22e Régiment which is garrisoned in the Quebec Citadelle and has served as the infantry regiment for Quebec going back to World War I (seeing action at numerous infamous battles including the Somme, Vimy Ridge, and Normandy). The goat itself is historical... it's descended from a goat that was gifted to the regiment by the Queen in the 50's which was descended from a goat that had been owned by Queen Victoria.

Old
10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
DJ Omnimaga

One fan concept I liked a lot from the unnoficial Nords board was this:

FINAL7 par va2sg, sur Flickr

It uses the same colors as the baseball team. It uses a snowy owl animal that forms a fleur-de-lys, both of which are Quebec symbols.

Last edited by DJ Omnimaga: 10-30-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post

It uses the same colors as the baseball team. It uses a snowy owl animal that forms a fleur-de-lys, both of which are Quebec symbols.
That's really, really nice. Uses colours, images, and other visual cues that appeal to the city's identity and psyche. The snowy owl is nice added touch, without beating you over the head with its presence (at a glance or from a distance, it just looks like a plain, good ol' fleur de lys - it's only with a closer look that you see that there's more to it).

Old
10-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:

I'm not fan of having two different logo. They should use only the snowy owl on the home without the blason.

Alternate:

Heritage away (Percival-Molson?):

Heritage home (Laval U?):

With this as logo:

Old
10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

I'm not a fan of too much fleur de lys. While the fleur de lys represents the province as whole, I think fleur de lys on shoulders is plenty enough (even more if the logo is inspired from one). Tho, why not do like Flames and have the province's flag on the shoulder ?

Old
10-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Tho, why not do like Flames and have the province's flag on the shoulder ?
I got halfway through this sentence, assumed where you were going with it, and thought to myself "Yeah, a flaming 'Q' would be awesome!"

Old
10-30-2012, 06:06 PM
GordonGraham

10/10 for that snow owl logo

Old
10-30-2012, 07:15 PM
aqib

Quote:

I do like this one. I am curious, if you do get the Coyotes would you want some sort of shoulder patch that commemorates the past?

Old
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
DekeTretiak

I too like the fan design except for the puck. Remove the puck and it's perfect. I don't understand the need to include hockey equipment in the logo. I know, I know, the Penguins, Sharks, and Capitals all do it but...still doesn't look right to me. It's a short cut in brand building to tell the casual fan that this logo belongs to a hockey team.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
I do like this one. I am curious, if you do get the Coyotes would you want some sort of shoulder patch that commemorates the past?
Were it any other franchise, maybe. But no the Yotes pretty much crapped over the Jets' history.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:15 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Can't wait for a Nordiques-Jets game. How fun will that be?!
That would be louder than the Kings-Devils Finals.

Old
10-31-2012, 07:58 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
I got halfway through this sentence, assumed where you were going with it, and thought to myself "Yeah, a flaming 'Q' would be awesome!"
Hey why not. Gotta put some flames to show what we all do in our homes during winter.

Quote:
YES ! The old Jets logo patch on shoulder.

Closed Thread