HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 02:30 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

MOD WARNING:

I know we had a 30+ Lu thread prior to this one that went down hill after countless Admin/Mod warnings. Let's please stay civil and respect one another. If you do get an infraction, expect to be removed from the trade board altogether. There will be no further warnings.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:43 AM
kthsn

The longer the lockout goes on and the higher the chances of a compressed schedule the more I want Gillis to keep both Scheider and Luongo.

With our offensive system I feel our skaters will be giving up odd man rushes left and right on back to backs. With a tougher division and the hardest road games in the NHL I feel having two stellar goalies will give us the best chance of success.

Of course at the trade deadline I wouldn't be opposed to dealing either one to bolster our roster.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:02 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
The longer the lockout goes on and the higher the chances of a compressed schedule the more I want Gillis to keep both Scheider and Luongo.

With our offensive system I feel our skaters will be giving up odd man rushes left and right on back to backs. With a tougher division and the hardest road games in the NHL I feel having two stellar goalies will give us the best chance of success.

Of course at the trade deadline I wouldn't be opposed to dealing either one to bolster our roster.
I agree with this.
While, Schneider makes more sense in the long-run,
unless a good deal comes along, there's no immediate rush to make the trade.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:14 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

for me it does not matter how long it lasts for. The bottom line is how the new cba looks. If the rumored penalties are correct--that will dictate the value. IF there is no penalty that helps vancouver big time, if the penalty falls to the team that has Luongo when(we can see the year he retires) does retire, that will hurt the value

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard
No one said the only destination is the Leafs. Keeping Lou unitl next year, with the potential UFA goalies on the market at that point will not help his value.

That logic makes sense, but now we need to analyze all these goaltenders you speak of and who will replace them on their current teams:

1. Nick Backkstrom: will be 35 and is probably the most interesting of the bunch. Josh Harding and Matthew Hackett might be inline to replace, but with all Minnesota's current upgrades(Parise, Suter) do they really want to give up their top goalie when they can compete now.

2. Tim Thomas: will be 39, and played no season prior quite a risk.

3. Evgeni Nabokov: will be 38 and could retire/slide in backup role nicely or again like Thomas team could take risk. Islanders have Dipietro and a couple youngsters to replace.

4. Mike Smith: probably best free agent goalie, but there are reports Coyotes are trying to lockup long term. I would say will most likely be resigned, but if not they would need a replacement

5. Jimmy Howard: solid goaltender. He will surely be either resigned by Detroit or they could very well enter the Luongo sweep stakes. Detroit will need a serious replacement if Howard departs.

6. Jose Theodore: will be 37 and again is similar to Nabokov and Thomas. Could retire, but seems unlikely to become a new teams starter in 2013. Might be a nice backup.

Here are top UFA tenders for 2013 to date. If they all depart I think teams interested in Luongo could go after Backstrom, Smith and Howard, but the rest look like they could retire or are very risky. Smith will most likely be resigned. That leaves Backstrom and Howard. If Howard goes I think Detroit becomes a front runner for Luongo and raises his value. Backstrom seems like the most probable goalie to lower Luongo's value, but as I mentioned before Minnesota have went all in for Suter and Parise and look to compete now. Their alternatives do not look like upgrades and that would seem like a step backward. I think that the number of goalies available next year is overblown. Luongo is still a significant upgrade over all of them, maybe not Smith arguably. From a Toronto perspective I don't think it's anything to be too excited over, because this year Vokoun was available and they did not pick him up, Backstrom is along the same lines as Vokoun for quality and age. At any rate next years UFA crop does not look to damage Luongo's value significantly, that is assuming he is still available. The only way goalies like Theodore, Thomas, or Nabokov look valuable to Toronto is if they need a backup. I think in a situation if Reimer turned out well and needs a backup these guys could be valuable. Though if you look at the contract Scrivens signed, he is waiver exempt this year but not next, he looks to be the backup. Regardless those goalies would not affect Luongo's value, because Toronto would no longer need a #1 in this scenario.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
vanwest

History has shown that prospective UFA goalies like those listed above rarely actually hit the market. And high end ones rarely look to sign with re-building teams like the Leafs. You could still be waiting for that elusive high end UFA by the time Luongo's long contract is up. In the end, while Luongo may not be a perfect player for a team in the Leaf's position he is by far the best option available or likely to become available in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by vanwest: 10-29-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
10-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Anyone wishing to get caught up Luongo's thoughts should give a listen to the Team1040 podcast of his interview with Jeff Patterson.

Some clarification on waiving his NTC, and if he has yet to be approached by Gillis (he hasn't). Also, confirms returning is likely.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yes hilarious. Some people have a strange sense of humour.
History has shown that prospective UFA's like those listed above rarely actually hit the market. And high end ones rarely look to sign with re-building teams like the Leafs. You could still be waiting for that elusive high end UFA by the time Luongo's long contract is up. In the end, while Luongo may not be a perfect player for a team in the Leaf's position he is by far the best option available or likely to become available in the foreseeable future.
LOL. The two best UFA's signed with Minnesota this summer. This finished 1 point higher than the Leafs.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
LOL. The two best UFA's signed with Minnesota this summer. This finished 1 point higher than the Leafs.
They signed with their hometown team, which is a different story.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:34 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:
Yes but they are from the area. Are there any players in the League from the GTA?

Old
10-29-2012, 04:37 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
They signed with their hometown team, which is a different story.
It should be noted that Parise and Suter said they didn't want to sign with a Canadian team. So even if Brian Burke wanted to sign them they didn't want to play in Canada.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Yes but they are from the area. Are there any players in the League from the GTA?
A better question is how many goalies from the GTA are becoming UFAs any time soon.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Reign Nateo

There's also insane pressure and decades of failure and dysfunction on the Leafs side too. That's why they've landed so many great UFAs over the years like Jeff Finger and Jason Blake.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:45 PM
frankthetank91

I forgot Mike Smith was a UFA next offseason. If this lockout lasts the whole season or the season is short enough to not be painful with our goalies i'd hope Smith would come home and sign with us.

While Luongo is the better goalie, if Van is asking too much the Leafs may have that as a solid plan B.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:47 PM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
A better question is how many goalies from the GTA are becoming UFAs any time soon.
Mike Smith. Not from the GTA but still an Ontario boy and like most people born in Ontario there's a good chance the Leafs were his childhood team.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
vanwest

Quote:
When was the last time a big name goalie hit the open market?
And when did they sign with a rebuilding team?
As others have noted Suter and Parise wanted to play close to home. That's a special circumstance that rarely happens.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I forgot Mike Smith was a UFA next offseason. If this lockout lasts the whole season or the season is short enough to not be painful with our goalies i'd hope Smith would come home and sign with us.

While Luongo is the better goalie, if Van is asking too much the Leafs may have that as a solid plan B.
Mike Smith would be a great pickup for the Leafs.
I doubt that Phoenix lets him walk though. We'll see.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
BowDangles

Interesting tidbit out of Edmonton today, radio host Bob Stauffer suggests that there is going to be a "WOW" player personnel move between the end of the lockout and the start of the season. He is an employee of the Edmonton Oilers and usually hints or tends to lead the fan base to certain moves.

I wonder if this could be Luongo related after all that Luongo to Edmonton talk last week?

I personally think that the going rate is a top six forward, a 2nd-3rd round pick and a prospect would get the deal done.

So would something like Hemsky, Hartikinen and a 2nd work?

Old
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Interesting tidbit out of Edmonton today, radio host Bob Stauffer suggests that there is going to be a "WOW" player personnel move between the end of the lockout and the start of the season. He is an employee of the Edmonton Oilers and usually hints or tends to lead the fan base to certain moves.

I wonder if this could be Luongo related after all that Luongo to Edmonton talk last week?

I personally think that the going rate is a top six forward, a 2nd-3rd round pick and a prospect would get the deal done.

That sounds fair, but I think most of us would prefer Hemsky + 1st(can be conditional on it not being a top-5 pick) or Hemsky + MPS. It's still a solid offer, and I would take it over the vast majority of Leafs fans offers.

In terms of assets Edmonton has, they make a much better fit from our POV than Toronto.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:57 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
When was the last time a big name goalie hit the open market?
And when did they sign with a rebuilding team?
As others have noted Suter and Parise wanted to play close to home. That's a special circumstance that rarely happens.
When Curtis Joseph signed with Toronto in July 1998 the Leafs had missed the Playoffs two straight years and he was a big name Goalie at that time.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

I'd be fine with that return from a Canucks perspective.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:59 PM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

Quote:

I seriously doubt it's Luongo.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
When Curtis Joseph signed with Toronto in July 1998 the Leafs had missed the Playoffs two straight years and he was a big name Goalie at that time.
Agreed. But that's 14 years ago. A long time can go by between those big signings. And at that point in time I don't think that Cujo was performing at as high a level as Luongo, IIRC. In any event, as fans of both of our franchises can attest it is rare that you manage to fill holes with big name free agents.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:26 PM
King Crimson

Do Luongo's out-clauses transfer to the team he's traded to?

Old
10-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
Do Luongo's out-clauses transfer to the team he's traded to?
Yes. It is my understanding that the contract stays intact, even the NTC.

The Carter situation differed because his NTC hadn't kicked in yet, so CLB could choose to honor it or not... They obviously chose not to.

Closed Thread