HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Waiting on the World to Change (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
I'd add, who is also great with staying, and very welcome on the team for as long as it takes to send him to a good home... No need to marry Luongo off to the only undesirable man currently available in the village (or group of undesirable men), for one goat (or whatever scraps of animals they are prepared to dump in return for his hand)... Luongo's a princess... He deserves better...

This is a brilliant analogy.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Anyone see the Luongo interview on Global? Luongo confirms (yet again) if there is no deal in place he is fine playing in Vancouver again. Loves the city, great organization, respects his teammates...etc

However I'm sure people will keep saying he isn't & will be a cancer

Old
10-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Peter Griffin

I'm sure the way Luongo sees it, at this point it's better to split time with Schneider, playing in a great city, for a great team, with teammates he knows, then to be the starter for some team that doesn't interest him at the present. Now Roberto is a very competitive guy, so he may change his tune if he isn't dealt at some point, but for right now, there's a lot of good to be seen by him in staying with this team.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Steveorama

To be honest, I never really took the option of keeping both goalies seriously..
But in a post-lockout, compressed schedule?
Alternating Scneider and Luongo for the regular season, then flipping Luongo to the MDT (most desperate team) at the deadline has some attraction, now.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Bleach Clean

It will also be a good case study as well.

Some teams are banking on suspect goaltending to see them through, let's see if it happens.

Also, we'll have more information on whether Schneider can handle a bigger work load. With Luongo as a safety net. Better to wait.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
To be honest, I never really took the option of keeping both goalies seriously..
But in a post-lockout, compressed schedule?
Alternating Scneider and Luongo for the regular season, then flipping Luongo to the MDT (most desperate team) at the deadline has some attraction, now.
Good point, especially about the potential of a compressed schedule. If there are a lot of games in a short period of time there may be too many back-to-backs. Having two elite goalies, for that circumstance, would be a big advantage. (Unless, Luongo could return a #1 d-man. )

Old
10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Anyone see the Luongo interview on Global? Luongo confirms (yet again) if there is no deal in place he is fine playing in Vancouver again. Loves the city, great organization, respects his teammates...etc

However I'm sure people will keep saying he isn't & will be a cancer
Gotta love his attitude towards everything though.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

News1130Sports:
Quote:
Baby Leafs in town to play Abby Thurs and Fri. Will Brian Burke make trip and talk trade with Mike Gillis about Roberto Loungo.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Gotta love his attitude towards everything though.
I think he's showing some of the leadership qualities that had him named captain a few years back. Putting the team in front of his own personal wishes is commendable.

10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I think he's showing some of the leadership qualities that had him named captain a few years back. Putting the team in front of his own personal wishes is commendable.
Leaders don't ask to be traded 2 years into a 12 year contract imo, they see things through.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
News1130Sports:
Aren't you not allowed to talk trade during the lockout?

Old
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Aren't you not allowed to talk trade during the lockout?
I think you just can't have a trade during the lockout, but I'm not too certain.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Wisp

You can discuss trade with teams, but you can't talk to players involved and can't execute on any agreed upon trades.

Also, the News11Whatever guy is just speculating.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Leaders don't ask to be traded 2 years into a 12 year contract imo, they see things through.
So Luongo asked to be traded?

Or was he forced out by the same management that signed the 12 year "commitment".

As far as I can tell your post is just an antagonist to Y2K...if it isn't, all I have to say, is its a two way street.

You don't sign a 12 year deal for somebody to play for your team, just to 'mind-****' him two years later.

Gillis made his bed, and now he's trying to change the sheets.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:00 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Or was he forced out by the same management that signed the 12 year "commitment".

As far as I can tell your post is just an antagonist to Y2K...if it isn't, all I have to say, is its a two way street.

You don't sign a 12 year deal for somebody to play for your team, just to 'mind-****' him two years later.

Come on now—it's not as cut and dry as this.

There are a number of factors involved. No need to make it seem like there was any malicious intent in the way Gillis/AV handled Luongo/Schneider.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Scurr

Quote:
You don't think so? Gillis is on record saying he wouldn't ask anyone to waive their no trade, and he's stuck to that as far as I can tell. I don't blame Luongo for taking advantage of the situation but I've alway's thought he was a little flaky and this is another example imo.

Luongo is a good leader in that he's a great example of the kind of hard work and professionalism it takes to be a great hockey player. IMO he rides the up and downs too much to be a good leader overall.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:

So MG is suppose to see into the future nowadays? Was he suppose to know Schneider was going to take him over?

Old
10-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

There was a mutual agreement. Gillis never asked him to waive, they just both knew the relationship was over. Big difference there.

Forced out by management is a narrative no one should take seriously.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
There was a mutual agreement. Gillis never asked him to waive, they just both knew the relationship was over. Big difference there.

Scapegoating Luongo for the teams pathetic showing in the playoffs was wrong. When Schneider lost game 3, Luongo should have been back in for game 4.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Scapegoating Luongo for the teams pathetic showing in the playoffs was wrong. When Schneider lost game 3, Luongo should have been back in for game 4.
Always making excuses for him.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Good point, especially about the potential of a compressed schedule. If there are a lot of games in a short period of time there may be too many back-to-backs. Having two elite goalies, for that circumstance, would be a big advantage. (Unless, Luongo could return a #1 d-man. )
Not when Luongo takes a month and a half to start playing well. He'll go half the shortened season playing like an ahl goalie.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
You don't think so? Gillis is on record saying he wouldn't ask anyone to waive their no trade, and he's stuck to that as far as I can tell. I don't blame Luongo for taking advantage of the situation but I've alway's thought he was a little flaky and this is another example imo.

Luongo is a good leader in that he's a great example of the kind of hard work and professionalism it takes to be a great hockey player. IMO he rides the up and downs too much to be a good leader overall.
I think he opened himself up for a trade, but I dont think he 'asked' for it.

What makes him flaky? That he spoke to the media? I'm not sure where you get to calling him flaky.

The real part I didn't like where you suggested the team wanting to move him makes him a bad leader. The same team that made him captain and paid him like the face of the franchise.

He has lead this team, and he gets all the blame when they lose and doesn't shy away from it.

That's a leader to me.

Also, Im unsure how you think Luongo is using this situation to his advantage? Not waiving his NTC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

It's quite evident the Canucks don't want Roberto Luongo much longer, can we agree?

I'll say the Canucks want him gone, and Roberto has a little power with his NTC...we'll see how it plays out.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I think he opened himself up for a trade, but I dont think he 'asked' for it.
I disagree. If he had given Gillis the option I think he would have at least explored a Schneider trade, no? IMO it's been pretty clear that he wants out.

Quote:
What makes him flaky? That he spoke to the media? I'm not sure where you get to calling him flaky.
Luongo is an emotional guy and when things go poorly he doesn't alway's deal with it well. He ended the season on the bench watching Quick and Schneider play great and he took it hard and made a poor decision for himself. Luongo isn't going to find a better place for him than this imo. I think that makes him flaky.

Quote:
The real part I didn't like where you suggested the team wanting to move him makes him a bad leader. The same team that made him captain and paid him like the face of the franchise.
We won't agree on this because I think he asked to be moved. Heading for the exit because of some adversity is not the sign of a good leader imo.

Quote:
He has lead this team, and he gets all the blame when they lose and doesn't shy away from it.
That's a leader to me.
Different people will define it different ways. Luongo has a lot of leadership qualities but is too up and down to be a great leader imo.

Quote:
Also, Im unsure how you think Luongo is using this situation to his advantage? Not waiving his NTC?
This situation gave him the opportunity to bail and he took it. I think there was probably something to his family situation and I'm sure this market was grinding on him. He didn't handle it very well at times and looked like it really started to wear on him.

Quote:
It's quite evident the Canucks don't want Roberto Luongo much longer, can we agree?
I don't think so. Gillis never would have handled it like this if he'd have wanted him gone. Look at Hodgson.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:32 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Hi Nucks fans,

How credible is Botchford? Interesting report here...

http://theleafsnation.com/2012/10/29...me-trade-value

Old
10-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Why the hell should Luongo play over the superior Schneider? More like Luongo shouldn't have seen a minute in that series whatsoever...

Regular season-

Luongo- 2.41GAA, .919SV%
Schneider- 1.96GAA, .937SV%

Down the stretch drive of the season Schneider looked like the better goaltender of the 2 and he gave us the best chance to win. Luongo should have watched game 1 from the bench.

Luongo knew full well by years end that Cory Schneider had outplayed him and earned the starters job. Unsurprisingly, Luongo wanted to move on.

Closed Thread