HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Gustave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I can't recall who it was, but someone suggested weeks ago that a good comparable was Huberdeau's 2012-13 season vs Galchenyuk's considering their supporting casts are similar (although I think Sarnia has a better D).

Huberdeau has 19 points in 15 games and is -10.
Me. And I stand by my comparison. Both are absolutely stuck on teams with lame duck seasons or in between season if you will. To be fair to Huberdeau, he's got nothing to prove in juniors and it must be harder to get going.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I can't recall who it was, but someone suggested weeks ago that a good comparable was Huberdeau's 2012-13 season vs Galchenyuk's considering their supporting casts are similar (although I think Sarnia has a better D).

Huberdeau has 19 points in 15 games and is -10.
Huberdeau doesn't have anymore any kind of motivation playing in the LHJMQ IMO. He doesn't belong there.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Bobby G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
some nice shifts from Gally

Wow!

Old
10-28-2012, 08:51 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
1.2 ppg and 80+ pts at 16 is quite a feat in the OHL, had he played last year we wouldn't have been able to take him at 3. Right now he's still only getting started, I wouldn't be surprized to see him at 1.5 pgg and above pretty soon.
I said to you that he'd get up to 1.5ppg, then fall off towards the end as things tighten up.

...I'm getting a little nervous.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:58 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I said to you that he'd get up to 1.5ppg, then fall off towards the end as things tighten up.

...I'm getting a little nervous.
Good call on that, he's steadily approaching that mark, let's hope he's there by the time the WJC rolls around and he tears it up.

I said something like 1.7 but yeah that was a wee bit optimistic of me, seemed like a bold prediction at the time.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Wow!
WoW He has CRAZY skills!!! What a player he is gonna be!!!!

Old
10-28-2012, 10:28 PM
capebretoncanadien

That video was crazy. Filthy sauce hands.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:40 PM
CN_paladin

Wow Gally definitely reminded of Kovy in terms of stickhandling but with top WORK ETHIC!

Old
10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
WoW He has CRAZY skills!!! What a player he is gonna be!!!!
I wish he was more explosive but his offensive skills are a lot of fun to watch. Very impressed with his passing/playmaking/vision. He can really dish out the puck, crisp and accurate but unlike others that are playmaker first he can beat you several ways which makes him harder to defend against since the defense and goalies won't be sure if he will pass, shoot or stickhandle since all 3 are what you would consider "plus" or "plus plus"" which is outstanding to see.

Hopefully the NHL gets it **** together at some point. Some very exciting times ahead between Gally/Collberg/Beaulieu etc..., likely 5 top 75 picks in what could be a whale of a draft class, and of course the young guns in Pac/Price/Subban/Eller etc.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Maybe I'd preach a little consistency too (which is always a problem for young players anyway). The Galchenyuk in that video is virtually unrecognizable from the Galchenyuk I watched vs. the Otters a couple of nights before. Looks like he really had his mojo going vs. Brampton.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:37 PM
reffree

Just saw the "Gally's playing on an horrible team so it's normal he's not producing" thing.

I know everybody want him to succed, but it's going a little far here.

Is he the best player on his team? For sure, how many post draft top 5 picks aren't ?
Is it a reason for him to not produce? It's the CHL legitimate offensive threat find a way to produce.

Let's look at a 17yo RNH or a 17yo Seguin.

Seguin 1st in league scoring, best teamate AJ Jenks 42nd and Phil Mcrae 77th. Seguin with a 43 pts advantage on Jenks.

RNH 4th in league scoring, best teamate Andrej Kudrna 20th and Byron Froese 22nd. RNH with a 24 pts advantage over Kudrna.

As of today, Sarnia counts 4 players in the top 40 list of top scorers. Gally himself, with Boucher 35th, Sarrault 36th and Goldobin 39th. A fifth guy is over a pts/game pace. My point, they are not all surfing on Gally success.

Just stop pointing at others if things don't go as well as you want. Gally had a slow start, was exepected to do better and he is now doing better with the same suporting cast he had earlier in the year.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post

Seguin 1st in league scoring, best teamate AJ Jenks 42nd and Phil Mcrae 77th. Seguin with a 43 pts advantage on Jenks.

RNH 4th in league scoring, best teamate Andrej Kudrna 20th and Byron Froese 22nd. RNH with a 24 pts advantage over Kudrna.
Seguin 1.68 PPG
Jenks 1.21 PPG
.47 PPG difference

RNH 1.52 PPG
Kudrna 1.26 PPG
.26 PPG difference

Galchenyuk 1.4 PPG
Boucher 1.0 PPG
.4 PPG difference

The difference of point per games between Galchenyuk and the second scorer is similar for all three players, theres not much to see there other that all three clearly led the offence of their respective teams.

Its true he's had a slow start (he was certainly rusty from not playing for ages) but even then he's quite awesome so far. He's also 8th in scoring, only 3 points away from the lead. Just by having consistant production (which he appears to have, scoring at least a point almost every game) he should end up passing a lot of players who are ahead of him because of unusually strong starts or hot streaks.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Just stop pointing at others if things don't go as well as you want. Gally had a slow start, was exepected to do better and he is now doing better with the same suporting cast he had earlier in the year.
Not going to argue your point, because you are right, he should be producing regardless, but Gally should reasonably have a bunch more points if only he played with anyone that could finish. His linemates are trash and he really gets it done in spite of them. What's worse though, is that defence! Horrible! I don't know how many times you've watched him play but, to me, he's showing everything I hoped to see AND some!

Old
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
NotProkofievian

Yeah, the whole "Galchenyuk needs some more talent around him" isn't rooted in statistics, it's rooted in watching the game play. Arguing from statistics misses the whole point. The point being that lots of people have seen Galchenyuk pull off some crazy highlight reel ****, set up a linemate with a golden opportunity, only to see them blow the puck wide, or whiff completely. If he had even a good complimentary player like Bozon on his wing, IMO, he'd have the OHL scoring lead currently. But he doesn't, and with a slow start, he's 8th, and 3 points back.

...lets see where he ends up on that leaderboard in a couple months. Betcha he climbs.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597

Old
10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Just saw the "Gally's playing on an horrible team so it's normal he's not producing" thing.

I know everybody want him to succed, but it's going a little far here.

Is he the best player on his team? For sure, how many post draft top 5 picks aren't ?
Is it a reason for him to not produce? It's the CHL legitimate offensive threat find a way to produce.

As of today, Sarnia counts 4 players in the top 40 list of top scorers. Gally himself, with Boucher 35th, Sarrault 36th and Goldobin 39th. A fifth guy is over a pts/game pace. My point, they are not all surfing on Gally success.

He missed one year so a slow start was expected . Let's wait and see where he will be in points at the end of the season before comparing his stats to others top pick.

Old
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
reffree

I'm not saying he's been bad, because he definetly wasn't. But calling guys like Sarrault and Boucher below average CHLer is just not true. A ton of good players in the league have to compose with less than Gally. That's my point.

He was rusty and now getting into form, that's perfectly fine with me.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I wish he was more explosive but his offensive skills are a lot of fun to watch. Very impressed with his passing/playmaking/vision. He can really dish out the puck, crisp and accurate but unlike others that are playmaker first he can beat you several ways which makes him harder to defend against since the defense and goalies won't be sure if he will pass, shoot or stickhandle since all 3 are what you would consider "plus" or "plus plus"" which is outstanding to see.

Hopefully the NHL gets it **** together at some point. Some very exciting times ahead between Gally/Collberg/Beaulieu etc..., likely 5 top 75 picks in what could be a whale of a draft class, and of course the young guns in Pac/Price/Subban/Eller etc.
Yep, he isnt the most explosive but with the puck skills and arsenal of shots he has, he still can become an elite player in the NHL.. Forsberg wasnt an explosive skater either..

Old
10-29-2012, 04:11 PM
poetryinmotion

Gally might not be an explosive skater but he hauls ass on the ice playing all three zones and following the puck, always in movement never still. It's a matter of pacing for him in general because of that, but when he has to change speeds he can be deceptive and surprise anyone.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
When he has the puck, it doesn't really matter how explosive he is. The kid has dangles that some danglers in the NHL don't know about and his vision is so great, he can dish the puck if he gets double teamed. At the NHL level, in a few years, he'll be dynamite.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
EveryDay

Best prospect in Montreal since Carey Price.....

Old
10-29-2012, 04:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Grigorenko was an healthy scratch last game..

From Leroux RDS..

Old
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I'm not saying he's been bad, because he definetly wasn't. But calling guys like Sarrault and Boucher below average CHLer is just not true. A ton of good players in the league have to compose with less than Gally. That's my point.

He was rusty and now getting into form, that's perfectly fine with me.
Yeah, but that's not what people are saying: people aren't saying that Gally wasn't producing because Sarault and Boucher suck. They were saying that Gally wasn't producing because Sarault, Boucher, Hottot and DeAngelo were blowing perfect chances created by Gally. Which is true.

I agree that he was rusty, I think he is even rusty now with his goal scoring ability. But I also think he could definitely be the OHL leader if he had someone like Bozon on his wing instead of Boucher. Someone who tends not to miss. I think he has a decent shot at leading the OHL this year, as he seems to be heating up.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:37 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Grigorenko was an healthy scratch last game..

From Leroux RDS..
They rotate their 3 euros. Sorensen, Kucherov and Grigorenko will all be healhty scratch one game or another.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
They rotate their 3 euros. Sorensen, Kucherov and Grigorenko will all be healhty scratch one game or another.
if grigo is the real deal why in the world would he be scratch? doesnt make any sense what so ever. wich doesnt mean i am saying is not true.

Closed Thread