HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Mctopchowda

vCash: 500
I can see the deal being Hemsky for Luongo straight up.

Reasoning: Hemsky has potential to be 1st line RW which the canucks really need. He has shoulder problems but hopefully coming back from that. Hell be good for 4-5 more years

Luongo is a good goalie but his contract will absolutly crush the Oilers in the future. In 5 years well need all the cap room we can get. Also in 5 years Luongos play will not be elite anymore, hell be a decent goalie capable of playing #1 role but by then the Oiler goalie prospects will be developed and challenge for the #1 role. So then we got a #2 tender making 5 million and a total anchor. That might lead to us not being able to resign one of the big 4/5

Seems like low value for Lu, but his contract is last thing Oilers need. Maybe add a clause saying well give up a variety of picks if Hemsky doesnt play X amount of games

Old
10-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Anyone wishing to get caught up Luongo's thoughts should give a listen to the Team1040 podcast of his interview with Jeff Patterson.

Some clarification on waiving his NTC, and if he has yet to be approached by Gillis (he hasn't). Also, confirms returning is likely.
IIRC Gillis can't even approach Luongo even if he wanted at this point because it's illegal for them to talk with no CBA in place although I could be wrong here. Maybe someone could clarify, I just remember something being said on sportsnet recently that was something along those lines.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:05 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
Do Luongo's out-clauses transfer to the team he's traded to?
Who knows. Player contracts are all subject to the current CBA. In the last CBA, the acquiring team had the option of picking up the NTC or not, however there were instances when players would only waive if the acquiring team would honour it (see Brad Richards).

Source: http://capgeek.com/faq/what-s-the-di...TC-and-NMC.php

Old
10-29-2012, 05:54 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I can see the deal being Hemsky for Luongo straight up.

Reasoning: Hemsky has potential to be 1st line RW which the canucks really need. He has shoulder problems but hopefully coming back from that. Hell be good for 4-5 more years

Luongo is a good goalie but his contract will absolutly crush the Oilers in the future. In 5 years well need all the cap room we can get. Also in 5 years Luongos play will not be elite anymore, hell be a decent goalie capable of playing #1 role but by then the Oiler goalie prospects will be developed and challenge for the #1 role. So then we got a #2 tender making 5 million and a total anchor. That might lead to us not being able to resign one of the big 4/5

Seems like low value for Lu, but his contract is last thing Oilers need. Maybe add a clause saying well give up a variety of picks if Hemsky doesnt play X amount of games
Hemsky has skill and value. I just don't see an often injured smallish forward as something that would interest the Canucks.
They already have a great 1st line RW on an affordable contract. What they need is some size. Hemsky's injury issues are also a huge concern.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Hemsky has skill and value. I just don't see an often injured smallish forward as something that would interest the Canucks.
They already have a great 1st line RW on an affordable contract. What they need is some size. Hemsky's injury issues are also a huge concern.
Are you talking about a bruising top 6 forward? those guys are nearly impossible to find. GM's just don't deal those players. The Milan Lucic's are a rarity now.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

vCash: 1815
Hemsky makes a lot of sense as a main piece, but I doubt 1-for-one would cut it. Adding on a 1st or something of similar value would seem more likely.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Most top six forwards with size are either a) unattainable b) attainable but would not be able to keep up with the Sedins speed/skill style of play

Old
10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Hemsky makes a lot of sense as a main piece, but I doubt 1-for-one would cut it. Adding on a 1st or something of similar value would seem more likely.
1st is sketchy since the oil will be bad probaly. Maybe a good D prospect. Gernat doesnt get much love.. But hes a big offensive defenseman whos ~3-4 years away. Hes a big/boom prospect so I can see why people would say no. Musil is the opposite, a solid defensively sound d prospect

Schultz, Klefbom are a no go. Marincin is showing he might be too good to hang on to as well.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

Quote:
1st is sketchy since the oil will be bad probaly. Maybe a good D prospect. Gernat doesnt get much love.. But hes a big offensive defenseman whos ~3-4 years away. Hes a big/boom prospect so I can see why people would say no. Musil is the opposite, a solid defensively sound d prospect

Schultz, Klefbom are a no go. Marincin is showing he might be too good to hang on to as well.
I doubt the pick would be bad, and I wouldn't mind a condition like it wouldn't be top 5 or something. MPS might also make sense as a change-of-scenery player.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Most top six forwards with size are either a) unattainable b) attainable but would not be able to keep up with the Sedins speed/skill style of play
That's why Burrows works.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I forgot Mike Smith was a UFA next offseason. If this lockout lasts the whole season or the season is short enough to not be painful with our goalies i'd hope Smith would come home and sign with us.

While Luongo is the better goalie, if Van is asking too much the Leafs may have that as a solid plan B.
Smith would get lit up in Toronto. I find it funny after one good season people are putting him in the same sentence as Luongo who's had what like 10? He plays in a defensive trap system....similar to Elliot and the Blues. Smith is an average goalie at best.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Are you talking about a bruising top 6 forward? those guys are nearly impossible to find. GM's just don't deal those players. The Milan Lucic's are a rarity now.
cough.... Zack...cough ...Kassian

Old
10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Zach Kassian hasn't proven he can do what Lucic can do yet. Not even close. That's just his ceiling. No telling what he'll develope into.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Smith would get lit up in Toronto. I find it funny after one good season people are putting him in the same sentence as Luongo who's had what like 10? He plays in a defensive trap system....similar to Elliot and the Blues. Smith is an average goalie at best.
Did you even watch Mike Smith? Sean Burke was a match made in heaven for him. He completely reinvented his game. Pheonix is a defensive system and his numbers would drop on a differen't team but he's turned into a very good goalie.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

I would be very surprised if Smith doesn't re-sign in Phoenix. Not to mention that even if he does leave, they might be in the market for Luongo if the new CBA let's us foot part of the actual salary.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Ho Borvat

What about

Edmonton
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
1st Round Pick (conditional on # of gp for Hemsky)

Vancouver
Ales Hemsky
Sam Gagner
1st Round (top 10 protected)

Old
10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Uh huh, I'm well aware of Kassian, been watching him since his days in Windsor but we all know he's not an established top 6 power forward just yet. You dream of prospects like Kassian turning into Lucic. Just like how the Leafs dream that Biggs can do the same. These kids are wildcards, could be top line guys, could be bottom line guys, could be guys who just have a cup of coffee or two at the NHL level. They take 6 or 7 years to develop most of the time.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
What about

Edmonton
Roberto Luongo
Jordan Schroeder
1st Round Pick (conditional on # of gp for Hemsky)

Vancouver
Ales Hemsky
Sam Gagner
1st Round (top 10 protected)
Swap out Schroeder for a dman and you might be onto something there. I can't see Edmonton having much need for yet another forward.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
#GetJimBinned

Quote:
Swap out Schroeder for a dman and you might be onto something there. I can't see Edmonton having much need for yet another forward.
The Oilers aren't very deep at C. They'd essentially be going from Gagner to Schroeder as their 2C.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I figure with Schultz and Klefbom we have nothing to offer Edmonton on the blueline.

Schroeder gives the Oilers a young C who could soak up some of the defensive responsibility from the top unit.

Makes Van a better team today, and gives the Oilers a stronger team without mortgaging their future.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:59 PM
victor

I can't see Edmonton taking on Luongo's contract without moving Dubnyk, and given that they've just signed him to a three year, 3.5m deal, makes it much less likely.

If he was 5 years younger, maybe. He's 33 this year, and will likely be 36-37 by the time that Edmonton becomes a real contender. It would be a huge gamble, and at this stage of the rebuild, likely too much risk for Edmonton to take.

I think he's going to Florida.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:06 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
I can't see Edmonton taking on Luongo's contract without moving Dubnyk, and given that they've just signed him to a three year, 3.5m deal, makes it much less likely.

If he was 5 years younger, maybe. He's 33 this year, and will likely be 36-37 by the time that Edmonton becomes a real contender. It would be a huge gamble, and at this stage of the rebuild, likely too much risk for Edmonton to take.

I think he's going to Florida.
All this has been explained already. Doesn't seem to register with some unfortunately. Dubnyk will be given a chance before the Oilers make any major move for a goalie.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
All this has been explained already. Doesn't seem to register with some unfortunately. Dubnyk will be given a chance before the Oilers make any major move for a goalie.
It's the same as the Leafs. Burke is not going to give up on Reimer/Scrivens/Owuya already.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
StringerBell

If he was going to Florida and Bjugstad was off the table, which he clearly seems to be, I would want Shore + Petrovic back. Doesn't seem like much, but I think both players would fit into our system really well. Also, even though it doesn't seem like much, I can almost guarantee that Florida fans will be outraged at me asking for two B prospects in exchange for Lu.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
If he was going to Florida and Bjugstad was off the table, which he clearly seems to be, I would want Shore + Petrovic back. Doesn't seem like much, but I think both players would fit into our system really well. Also, even though it doesn't seem like much, I can almost guarantee that Florida fans will be outraged at me asking for two B prospects in exchange for Lu.
I would be looking for something like this:

Luongo, Schroeder

for

Bjugstad, Petrovic, 1st round pick