HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The John Davidson saga -- That's Incredible!

View Poll Results: Should we hire John Davidson?
Sure, what the hell. 69 92.00%
No, and I'll explain my "no" in a long-winded post. 0 0%
It's too soon in the season to be making any moves. 1 1.33%
I'm an idiot. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

vCash: 500
I was listening to JD on Edmonton radio the other day, and one of the questions was how JD was going to start things. He answered that the next day he was having a meeting with the hockey operations staff to talk about the direction of the team, and make sure that everyone was on the same page.

I took that to mean that JD was going to sit down and let everyone know what his plans were, and if they were not on board with it then they could look for employment elsewhere.

Also, I am sure that he will, or has, informed everyone as to what their responsibilities with the organization are, and that means that Howson knows what his role is.

I don't think that JD will step on peoples toes, or micro-manage their jobs. What he will do is expect accountability, and if someone is not performing as he expects them to, then they will be replaced with someone who will.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Milltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I was listening to JD on Edmonton radio the other day, and one of the questions was how JD was going to start things. He answered that the next day he was having a meeting with the hockey operations staff to talk about the direction of the team, and make sure that everyone was on the same page.

I took that to mean that JD was going to sit down and let everyone know what his plans were, and if they were not on board with it then they could look for employment elsewhere.

Also, I am sure that he will, or has, informed everyone as to what their responsibilities with the organization are, and that means that Howson knows what his role is.

I don't think that JD will step on peoples toes, or micro-manage their jobs. What he will do is expect accountability, and if someone is not performing as he expects them to, then they will be replaced with someone who will.
Music to my ears.

Milltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:24 AM
EspenK

As to micro-managing, who knows? What I'd be willing to bet is he will be extremely hands on in terms of player decisions. Drafts.Trades. Deciding if a young guy is ready. If he is not,why bother?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 0
Quote:

I gathered from his opening presser and Q and A that JD was going in asking a lot of questions and listening, mostly, to see what direction hockey operations was heading. Certainly he, and we all know, that last year was a miserable season. He gets that, but from what I understand he is listening mostly. This is a great way to begin, because then he can really gauge what is going on in the building, so that he can truly assess what he wrong and then go about fixing things. So, instead of going in with guns blazing, he is listening and measuring what is actually taking place. Once he has done that, then he will hold people accountable. This can and will take place rather quickly. I have done it myself, and have seen it done elsewhere. If the person is really smart, and JD is, then a quick assessment will be made and plans will formulate in going forward. But I do agree, accountability is now the norm and people will be given every opportunity to show their worth, and if not, will be replaced rather quickly.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:55 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I gathered from his opening presser and Q and A that JD was going in asking a lot of questions and listening, mostly, to see what direction hockey operations was heading. Certainly he, and we all know, that last year was a miserable season. He gets that, but from what I understand he is listening mostly. This is a great way to begin, because then he can really gauge what is going on in the building, so that he can truly assess what he wrong and then go about fixing things. So, instead of going in with guns blazing, he is listening and measuring what is actually taking place. Once he has done that, then he will hold people accountable. This can and will take place rather quickly. I have done it myself, and have seen it done elsewhere. If the person is really smart, and JD is, then a quick assessment will be made and plans will formulate in going forward. But I do agree, accountability is now the norm and people will be given every opportunity to show their worth, and if not, will be replaced rather quickly.
Some people come in, install people they know and trust and let them do the same on down. I get what you are saying, but there is more than one way to skin this cat.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
As to micro-managing, who knows? What I'd be willing to bet is he will be extremely hands on in terms of player decisions. Drafts.Trades. Deciding if a young guy is ready. If he is not,why bother?
One could say what is the point of the GM then. In addition there is a big difference between heavily involved and micro-manager.

JD has already stated this draft is huge for us, with that in mind I expect him to be quite prominent in any first round decision, at a minimum. However, at some point you have to let the people beneath you do their jobs.

This place has become quite jaded. I'm looking for a good leader, not a dictator.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
It's been a long while since a drunken post. By me but here goes: I am so fuxning sick and tired of the *****ing and moaning about whether Scotty stays or goes. He's here , JD's here, Patrick's here, get over it. Conversely he may not at some point be hers, JD may not at some point be here(although that's so highly doubtful as to be impossible At this point) Patrick man not be here at some point, get over it.

My two drunken cents.
Amen to this.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:00 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Amen to this.
And here I thought I was *****ing and moaning about Rimer being here. He has the right to be annoyed if he wants do, much like I don't care if he's sick and tired of it.

Old
10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And here I thought I was *****ing and moaning about Rimer being here. He has the right to be annoyed if he wants do, much like I don't care if he's sick and tired of it.
*ahem* She. And guess what blah, while I enjoy you as a poster I don't give two ***** about how you feel about Rimer. He's another one who's gonna be here until he's not. And going round and round about him for the two thousandth time is not going to do anything but add to your post counts. Much the same as everyone going on and on about Scotty. I realise the lockout sort of limits topic ideas but seeing the same stuff over and over from the same people just gets old.

And now as this is bordering on playing mod, which I'm fairly sure is frowned upon, I shall get off my once drunken and then sober soapbox.

Last edited by Socks: 10-27-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Stupid phone.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinSock View Post
*ahem* She. And guess what blah, while I enjoy you as a poster I don't give two ***** about how you feel about Rimer. He's another one who's gonna be here until he's not.
Apologies for the gender confusion. I think we've established we have the right to our opinions. Yes he will be here until he's not. When he starts broadcasting again, I will occasionally express my frustration when he gets on my nerves.

Yes, some of these topics get old. They are going to get older the longer we have a lock out. I don't know how to solve that for you. Honestly, Davidson is already old hat until he actually does something noticeable to the fans.

I'll be honest with you, as tired as you are hearing about people wanting Howson to go, I am equally tired of people attempting to justify his existence.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
If McConnell brought in JD and Patrick to play second fiddles to Priest and Howson, then he is insane.

McConnell is not insane. Howson will not be the guiding force behind this franchise anymore. Anyone who thinks a HOFer like Patrick and an accomplished hockey man like Davidson came to Columbus to "provide input" to a third- rate clown like Howson and fourth rate clown like Priest need to have their medication(s) adjusted.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
If McConnell brought in JD and Patrick to play second fiddles to Priest and Howson, then he is insane.

McConnell is not insane. Howson will not be the guiding force behind this franchise anymore. Anyone who thinks a HOFer like Patrick and an accomplished hockey man like Davidson came to Columbus to "provide input" to a third- rate clown like Howson and fourth rate clown like Priest need to have their medication(s) adjusted.
If he's not insane, why did he leave those two "clowns" in charge for so long? Maybe he's stupid.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I have no doubt that this is true. But generally when the boss says "make sure that we are all on the same page" that means one thing to me.

Also when I hear JD say that he expects to see Richards having his players never being out-worked in a game, that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for him or the players.

I realize that we have heard the whole "work hard" mantra for 12 years. The difference this time is that I think we now have a President that will not tolerate anything else. It isn't lip service anymore.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

Am I on the only one confused by this post? I don't think I saw anyone suggest that JD would play second fiddle to anyone. He was brought in with autonomy.

I think I missed something somewhere.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
I have no doubt that this is true. But generally when the boss says "make sure that we are all on the same page" that means one thing to me.

Also when I hear JD say that he expects to see Richards having his players never being out-worked in a game, that doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for him or the players.

I realize that we have heard the whole "work hard" mantra for 12 years. The difference this time is that I think we now have a President that will not tolerate anything else. It isn't lip service anymore.
I totally agree. I think Porty's article today sums it up quite nicely

Old
10-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

A Philly perspective

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...215&feedID=704

Old
10-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Am I on the only one confused by this post? I don't think I saw anyone suggest that JD would play second fiddle to anyone. He was brought in with autonomy.

I believe the idea is that not immediately firing Priest and Howson means that anyone brought in is "playing second fiddle".

See, this is why I appreciate you, blah. At least when you object to people's presence you have a go at making sense about it.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I believe the idea is that not immediately firing Priest and Howson means that anyone brought in is "playing second fiddle".
Ouch, I hope this is not the case.

Quote:
See, this is why I appreciate you, blah. At least when you object to people's presence you have a go at making sense about it.
Ooh! I have a redeeming quality?

Old
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

I assume JD is in charge and that he is Howson and Patrick's manager. Like any good manager, I figure he is going to allow an evaluation period. That's not playing second fiddle.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Ooh! I have a redeeming quality?
Everyone has redeeming qualities. Some of us simply have many more than others.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Roadman
Moving On

And some less.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
And some less.
I think you mean fewer.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, one of my redeeming qualities is offering constructive grammatical advice on the internet.

What do you mean "Think again"?

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I think you mean fewer.
Right you are.

You got me.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:20 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Jets fan coming by to say congratulations on a good hire. IMHO JD is a good hockey man and he will get it right. Honestly I am really impressed you have as good a fan base as you do given how things have gone in Columbus over the past decade. Good luck and I wish you the success you deserve.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote