HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Pax Macioretty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Bozon = steal.
Every player from the** Habs** 2012 draft class = steal

Last edited by Pax Macioretty: 10-29-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Every player from the 2012 draft = steal
Now now that is way toooooo much to ask for, you can't expect every drafted player to become a quality NHL player can you? That means this draft will have yielded 210 NHL players!

Old
10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Every player from the** Habs** 2012 draft class = steal
Indeed, Im saying it from the begin, this draft has the potential to be one of the best in Habs history.. I feel everyone, outside maybe Nystrom has serious NHL potential.. If Hudon can get back soon and stay healthy, his chances to make team Canada jr. at 18 years old are excellent, that would be a huge acheivement for the kid.. Bozon is part of the best line in the CHL and by far, I never saw him play a full game but he has some huge offensive instinct you cant teach.. Vail looks like a very nice 3rd line center in the making, in fact, the most worrysome of this draft year right now is Thrower, so it says alot about the quality of this draft.. .

Old
10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Darren Dietz has 6g 3a in 14 games.

Thrower has 1g 2a in 10 games.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Indeed, Im saying it from the begin, this draft has the potential to be one of the best in Habs history.. I feel everyone, outside maybe Nystrom has serious NHL potential.. If Hudon can get back soon and stay healthy, his chances to make team Canada jr. at 18 years old are excellent, that would be a huge acheivement for the kid.. Bozon is part of the best line in the CHL and by far, I never saw him play a full game but he has some huge offensive instinct you cant teach.. Vail looks like a very nice 3rd line center in the making, in fact, the most worrysome of this draft year right now is Thrower, so it says alot about the quality of this draft.. .
Even Nystrom so far is progressing at the level of someone with a bit of NHL upside.

Right now the only player from that draft class who you could be concerned by is Thrower.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:19 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Even Nystrom so far is progressing at the level of someone with a bit of NHL upside.

Right now the only player from that draft class who you could be concerned by is Thrower.
The whole team is sucking, in Thrower's case. Yes, we should expect more, but he seemed to have a very good head on his shoulders. I'll bet he figures it out.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

You know guys, i like our prospects pool, but i have something that's pissing me off... I don't like that we still don't have that big forward who can play that big power, tough game. We have a lot of small, speedy and skill in our forward prospect, but we don't have that big, tough winger that could great havoc by playing that kind of style. We need to develop that kind of player.

We had a guy like Alexandre Mallet in our backyard in rimouski. That kid is good offensively and he's just a beast in physicality. Just watch his first pro fight with that big hit:

And there's a guy like Stefan Matteau Jr. We could have drafted that kid last summer. I was hoping for it. He's that kind of guy that we need. He has 11 pts in 13 games with 31 PIMS.

I just can't wait anymore until we draft a forward like that. Every team has at least one of those guy in their system.

End rant.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
You know guys, i like our prospects pool, but i have something that's pissing me off... I don't like that we still don't have that big forward who can play that big power, tough game. We have a lot of small, speedy and skill in our forward prospect, but we don't have that big, tough winger that could great havoc by playing that kind of style. We need to develop that kind of player.

We had a guy like Alexandre Mallet in our backyard in rimouski. That kid is good offensively and he's just a beast in physicality. Just watch his first pro fight with that big hit:

And there's a guy like Stefan Matteau Jr. We could have drafted that kid last summer. I was hoping for it. He's that kind of guy that we need. He has 11 pts in 13 games with 31 PIMS.

I just can't wait anymore until we draft a forward like that. Every team has at least one of those guy in their system.

End rant.
Please explain to me how we could have drafted Matteau, you wanted us to use our 3rd overall pick?

Old
10-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Please explain to me how we could have drafted Matteau, you wanted us to use our 3rd overall pick?
Trade one of our second round pick or both to move up.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Collberg has higher upside than Matteau, and while a big guy with an edge like that is something we need, he's currently a stupid penalty machine with questionable offensive upside. I was actually worried we'd trade up to get him, I could definitely see the logic picking him over Collberg but he's nowhere near special enough to give up more for.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I was hoping we would draft him, but i really like Collberg. For Matteau, i was using him more like a example of what kind of player we need to have in our system.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:28 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Collberg has higher upside than Matteau, and while a big guy with an edge like that is something we need, he's currently a stupid penalty machine with questionable offensive upside. I was actually worried we'd trade up to get him, I could definitely see the logic picking him over Collberg but he's nowhere near special enough to give up more for.
I agree.

I wouldn't trade Collberg and Thrower for Matteau.

I wouldn't even trade Collberg and Bozon (2nd and 3rd round picks) for Matteau.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Well did draft Thrower with one of those 2nds. He is a better fighter with a lot of fighting experience in the CHL league with the highest reputation for physicality/truculence against some of the better fighters of the league. Oddly enough Matteau's offensive production right now is about the same as what Thrower produced in a full season last year.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well did draft Thrower with one of those 2nds. He is a better fighter with a lot of fighting experience in the CHL league with the highest reputation for physicality/truculence against some of the better fighters of the league. Oddly enough Matteau's offensive production right now is about the same as what Thrower produced in a full season last year.
Was talking about a forward. Not a d-man. We have no foward prospect that play that kind of hockey.

and Thrower is the only "good fighter" we have on our system.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I was hoping we would draft him, but i really like Collberg. For Matteau, i was using him more like a example of what kind of player we need to have in our system.
I agree that Matteau represents a "type" I'd like to see more of and one that I'd hope our scouts are looking for in the second and third rounds, but he's never someone I'd trade up fro personally.

Also, and I could be wrong, but as far as I know he's not really known for being a great fighter right now, more of a loose cannon who will do anything it takes....which is the kind of toughness I think you should aim for rather than pound for pound fighters, especially for guys like Matteau who can actually play hockey.

I never would have imagined him getting picked before Collberg though.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:44 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
Was talking about a forward. Not a d-man. We have no foward prospect that play that kind of hockey.

and Thrower is the only "good fighter" we have on our system.
Dietz is not someone I'd want to mess with. Not in the thrower category, but Thrower is a bit special in that regard.

And you don't draft based on fighting ability. The biggest facepalm moment of the draft was Edmonton taking Moroz at 32. It's a real herp-a-derp way to go about things.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Dietz is not someone I'd want to mess with. Not in the thrower category, but Thrower is a bit special in that regard.

And you don't draft based on fighting ability. The biggest facepalm moment of the draft was Edmonton taking Moroz at 32. It's a real herp-a-derp way to go about things.
I will be forever grateful that Edmonton took Moroz when Collberg and Aberg were still on the board.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Again, yes Dietz and Thrower are good fighters BUT i said we need at least one FORWARD prospect that can play that style.

I'm not saying to draft someone base on his fighting ability, i'm saying that we should have at least one forward prospect that play a power game. Look at Alexandre Mallet and his stats in the LJHMQ. That guy knows how to play hockey but he has a mean streak to go with it. We need that.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Again, yes Dietz and Thrower are good fighters BUT i said we need at least one FORWARD prospect that can play that style.

I'm not saying to draft someone base on his fighting ability, i'm saying that we should have at least one forward prospect that play a power game. Look at Alexandre Mallet and his stats in the LJHMQ. That guy knows how to play hockey but he has a mean streak to go with it. We need that.
The problem is guys like that over the past few years have had their value horribly inflated especially right now with teams trying to imitate the Bruins toughness or the Kings grind-happy game. Everyone is trying to find the next Lucic even though that's so difficult to project, with a lot of these tough kids just develop physically early.

If anything this is a good time to take advantage of the skill out there, like I said before we should be looking for the kind of guys you are talking about but at the same time depending on how many of our prospects pan out we can always make a trade down the line. Someone like Kristo or Gallagher could probably be flipped for a guy with a little less skill and and more size/toughness.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:03 PM
That

Well I certainly do agree adding toughness and physicality to our prospect pool, skill was just needed just as much. Especially guys who have top 6 potential. I feel that the draft really addressed that issue.

I'm a strong believer in letting the grinder/tough guys do the fighting and letting the skill players do the scoring. However, guys who can do both are extremely valuable and hard to find. If Matteau was truly that player, he would have gone much higher.

This years draft has a lot of big power forward type players, so who knows what will happen.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:19 PM
muzion

We did try to move up for Matteau in the 1st round, it just didn't work out...

Old
10-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
This board would have melted down had we taken a 20 year old Mallet with the Nashville 2nd rounder.

I agree we need that type of player though, but I'd rather not use a 2nd for it.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Habitants

we got prust for 4 yrs, calm down guys.

white is also a strong customer, im not worried.

i would rather have skilled prospects.

we have a number of young guys with good character. maybe not many fighters up front, but i would not mess around too much if Tinordi is in the lineup. Thrower will be ok too, hes just off to a rough start on a tough team. im sure he will show his value soon enough

Old
10-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This board would have melted down had we taken a 20 year old Mallet with the Nashville 2nd rounder.

I agree we need that type of player though, but I'd rather not use a 2nd for it.
I don't usually 'rage' on HFBoards but I would no doubt be one of those members who would have overreacted if he had been taken. Granted, I would have calmed down soon after since Bozon would be taken with the 3rd rounder haha.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:25 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
There will be Tyler Hill LW for Muskegon USHL and Mike McCarron RW from the USNTDP/U18 in the USHL both are 6'6" and over 200 lbs.and can play good hockey.They will require a 2nd round pick in this draft 2013 that's each player,honestly.You gotta pay to play!

Closed Thread