Notices

Sven Baertschi maintains status as Calgary Flames' top prospect

Old
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Sven Baertschi maintains status as Calgary Flames' top prospect

The Calgary Flames prospect pool appears to be on the upswing. A blue-chip prospect on the verge of NHL stardom like Sven Baertschi will do that for an organization, of course, but there are also a handful of prospects who earned NHL experience during the club's 2011-12 campaign. The organization boasts several high-upside prospects developing at lower levels of play as well, giving the Flames as strong a pipeline as they have had in recent years.

Three 2012 draft picks make their debut in this edition of the Calgary Flames' Top 20 prospect rankings. While the team may not reap the benefits of these picks in the near future, all three have the ability to make an impact in the NHL down the road.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Good read thanks but I still personally think if John Gaudreau pans out he will be the best of our prospects. I think he is the most skilled forward prospect we have had since we traded for Iginla. I also think him at a 7.5 is a bit low but it doesn't really matter.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Good read thanks but I still personally think if John Gaudreau pans out he will be the best of our prospects. I think he is the most skilled forward prospect we have had since we traded for Iginla. I also think him at a 7.5 is a bit low but it doesn't really matter.
Yeah, I'd put him at more like an 8.5D (and honestly I might put Baertschi at 8.5B rather than 8.0B, although their rating is pretty fair). Also Brodie 7.5C, and then a few tweaks with the other guys (Howse lower, Horak higher, etc).

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:24 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Rolling through this list and seeing all the players I think highly of brought a smile to my face. I think Ferland is ahead of Nemisz at this point but good list overall.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Rolen
sick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Rolling through this list and seeing all the players I think highly of brought a smile to my face. I think Ferland is ahead of Nemisz at this point but good list overall.
I disagree with the bolded. Ferland is very overrated by flames fans for putting up a high amount of goals up, but he was playing alongside Mark Stone. Honestly I don't have high hopes for him and I can see him taking a Ryan Howse type path.

Nemisz has played in the NHL and his past few call ups he hasn't looked out of place. He's a very good complimentary player, and the reason Baertschi scored some of the goals he did in his NHL call-up.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
I disagree with the bolded. Ferland is very overrated by flames fans for putting up a high amount of goals up, but he was playing alongside Mark Stone. Honestly I don't have high hopes for him and I can see him taking a Ryan Howse type path.

Nemisz has played in the NHL and his past few call ups he hasn't looked out of place. He's a very good complimentary player, and the reason Baertschi scored some of the goals he did in his NHL call-up.
It depends how you're looking at it. I am talking straight potential.
I view Nemisz as being a 3rd line player if all works out. I view Ferland as having 2nd line upside. You do make a good point about him being similar to Howse, the difference being Howse was being called out for a lack of effort all season, Ferland has apparently been a very hard worker through junior.

Old
10-29-2012, 07:59 PM
FLAMESFAN

While I might not agree with Ferland being ranked ahead of Nemo right now, he is hardly overrated. If anything he is underated.

He has that toughness that is lacking in our prospects, and something Howse does not have. The fact he can score is just a bonus. Actually I think they would be good linemates for a 3rd line in a couple years.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Ashasx

Two Flames articles in a single week? What's gotten into you, HF?

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Two Flames articles in a single week? What's gotten into you, HF?
They're affected by the lockout just as much as we are.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
They're affected by the lockout just as much as we are.
They need some add revenue haha.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:50 PM
flameaholic

Not sure I agree with the ranking, but it's good to see the Flames prospect pool is on the upswing. Certainly the best it's looked than at any point during the Sutter regime.

Keep up the good work Feaster, Weisbrod, and Conny!

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post

I do not argue about Nemisz having good chemistry with Bartschi, if you say it, it certainly is true, i remember some canceled goal against ... where Nemisz scored on a Bartschi assist. But out of the 3 goals Bartschi scored, 2 were rebounds and lost pucks and the third was a straight interception of an opponent's defender pass. In none of these goals, Nemisz appears as assist !

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:45 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I do not argue about Nemisz having good chemistry with Bartschi, if you say it, it certainly is true, i remember some canceled goal against ... where Nemisz scored on a Bartschi assist. But out of the 3 goals Bartschi scored, 2 were rebounds and lost pucks and the third was a straight interception of an opponent's defender pass. In none of these goals, Nemisz appears as assist !
True but Nemisz played a very defensive role allowing Sven to worry about the offense and Nemisz to worry about the defense.

Old
11-02-2012, 04:24 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
True but Nemisz played a very defensive role allowing Sven to worry about the offense and Nemisz to worry about the defense.
Fair enough !
These are the type of things that completely escape you when you are on the other side of the world and only see highlights of games ;-)

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:52 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Fair enough !
These are the type of things that completely escape you when you are on the other side of the world and only see highlights of games ;-)
No excuses Yea I think Nemisz should be a higher rated prospect than Ferland but that is manly because I don't see Ferland making the nhl were I can see Nemisz playing there even if he is only a defensive 4th line player.