HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

HTC One V, no internet

Old
09-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Kestrel

vCash: 500
HTC One V, no internet

My sister just got an HTC One V, and so far the thing is a pain. Initially it would lock up and reboot a lot. I did a factory reset, and it seems to operate fine now with one exception. It will connect to the wifi network in the house here, but it gets no Internet access. She's on a fixed income, so a data plan is something that would definitely be a luxury for her, so it would be nice if she could access the Internet over wifi when she's here.

It's pulling an IP address, and I can't see any particular reason it won't hit the net. I've tried it with DLNA on and off. I don't see a way to give it a static address, but I'm not sure why the DHCP given address should be a problem. I'm not sure what else to try, especially since I'm not familiar with the HTC layout.

I don't have the phone here with me now - any ideas on what to try when I have access to it tomorrow? Thanks!

Oh, the router is a Cisco Linksys E2000.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Did you try restarting the wifi router? If it persists it sounds like a lemon unit to me.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Did you try restarting the wifi router? If it persists it sounds like a lemon unit to me.
I didn't try, but I'll try tomorrow. I've read a few people comment that they've had this problem since an OTA update, but factory resetting solved the problem... but my sister's phone is factory fresh. It bothered me that it was already quirky, but aside from the wifi connectivity, a factory reset seemed to fix that.

I'm debating if I should encourage her to replace it with the same model, or kick a few bucks her way, and tell her to try something else.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I didn't try, but I'll try tomorrow. I've read a few people comment that they've had this problem since an OTA update, but factory resetting solved the problem... but my sister's phone is factory fresh. It bothered me that it was already quirky, but aside from the wifi connectivity, a factory reset seemed to fix that.

I'm debating if I should encourage her to replace it with the same model, or kick a few bucks her way, and tell her to try something else.
If she got it on contract it might be hard to switch to something else.
I'm surprised she didn't go for like an iPhone 4 which is $0.

Sometimes android phone will have a hard time connecting to my wifi router. It usually works after a restart.

Old
09-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
If she got it on contract it might be hard to switch to something else.
I'm surprised she didn't go for like an iPhone 4 which is $0.

Sometimes android phone will have a hard time connecting to my wifi router. It usually works after a restart.
It's not on contract... her old phone was dying so I told her I'd help her buy a phone as an early Christmas present, so it's been bought outright. Because she's on a limited income, she's doing a pay as you go plan, so I'm assuming she probably wouldn't qualify for most $0 phones of any worth... that, and it would take a fair bit to make her go Apple.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Puck
Ninja

If that's your sister in the avatar, I'll even kick in a few dollars to help

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
If that's your sister in the avatar, I'll even kick in a few dollars to help
Haha... if it was, I would hook you up But no, that's a singer from Belo Horizonte where I was living in Brazil. Great voice, great legs... I think I'll stop before I work toward getting an infraction.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Kestrel

Well after a router reset, and playing around with the router security settings, and another factory reset on the phone, there is still no internet access. I've gotten my sister to email the Koodo store, and ask how to initiate an exchange. She likes the model of phone, so she wants to try a straight across exchange.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel View Post
haha... If it was, i would hook you up but no, that's a singer from belo horizonte where i was living in brazil. Great voice, great legs... I think i'll stop before i work toward getting an erection.
FIFY.

*chest bump*

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
FIFY.

*chest bump*
It might be too late for that.

Old
09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Well after a router reset, and playing around with the router security settings, and another factory reset on the phone, there is still no internet access. I've gotten my sister to email the Koodo store, and ask how to initiate an exchange. She likes the model of phone, so she wants to try a straight across exchange.
If she likes it then I'd try an exchange. Clearly something wrong with it.
Does she have wifi problem with other wifi routers?

Old
09-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
If she likes it then I'd try an exchange. Clearly something wrong with it.
Does she have wifi problem with other wifi routers?
Unfortunately, we haven't had opportunity to test it on any others. I maybe should have set up my old Belkin router, although if that hadn't worked, it wouldn't mean much to me - that thing didn't like to play nice in general.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Kestrel

So, got the new HTC One V - same problem. I'm about to take the phone downtown and try it on a couple of open networks to see if I get a different result. If not, any other ideas? Or do I need to harass HTC?

Old
10-05-2012, 07:59 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Click Here!!

Have you installed Cisco Connect software, by chance? Sorry if so, but I'm just going for the easy answer first.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Have you installed Cisco Connect software, by chance? Sorry if so, but I'm just going for the easy answer first.
I haven't. I've just had a very brief look, and it looks geared toward Windows and Mac machines... does it do anything for cell phones? I may have to try it the next time my sister is over.

It's definitely frustrating - 7 different PC's, a tablet, and 5 phones, and the HTC is the only thing that has ever had an issue.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:48 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Click Here!!

Quote:
I haven't. I've just had a very brief look, and it looks geared toward Windows and Mac machines... does it do anything for cell phones? I may have to try it the next time my sister is over.

It's definitely frustrating - 7 different PC's, a tablet, and 5 phones, and the HTC is the only thing that has ever had an issue.
I believe it does from reading this:

Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless N Router review

Quote:
To connect a smartphone, wireless printer or a gaming console, you'll have to type in the wireless network's credentials manually. Cisco Connect will display the SSID, password and security type (WPA, WPA2 or mixed WPA or WPA2) don't forget the password is case sensitive so you'll need to type it in exactly as you see it on the screen. We were able to connect the disappointing Nokia N8 phone to the wireless access point without any problems. The E2000 also allows users to connect to it as guests (the Cisco Connect software shows you the password for this), which is convenient if you have visitors and want to give them Internet access but don't want them accessing the computers on your local area network.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:54 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Click Here!!

there is also this troubleshooting/tutorial via the Cisco site:

Unable to connect wirelessly with an Android smartphone

There is also a Cisco Connect Express app for Android: http://homekb.cisco.com/Cisco2/ukp.a...rticleid=25355 (found in Google Play)

Last edited by slocal: 10-05-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Kestrel

Thanks... I'll have to see if I can physically transfer the android app, and give it a try.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

That's really weird. Try it on other networks.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
That's really weird. Try it on other networks.
I guess I forgot to mention that after I came back from the open networks downtown. One seemed to be down - I couldn't connect to it with my own phone, and I previously have, so I think in that case, it's the network that is the issue. The other one I was able to try, my phone worked fine on it, her HTC would connect, but no internet.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

How did you test the internet? Sometimes open networks like the ones at malls require you to agree to some terms of usage before you can get a connection.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I think I'd this can be figured out she should try to get this swapped for an iphone 4 or something.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Kestrel

I just connected to the open networks - I know there wasn't a TOS screen or anything of the sort that needed to be dealt with, because I took my own phone along to verify the networks were accessible. It just logged on, and worked. The HTC didn't. I'm in the process of trying to internet share with my laptop via USB in order to get the Cisco app... so far that's not working either. If I need to, I'll get the file on my PC, and transfer it over that way.

Edit: And running internet through my laptop via USB has a similar response. It claims it's connected via HTC Sync, but facebook times out, and google just stalls and does nothing. I ran out of testing time, but the next set of emails get directed HTC's way. If they don't have a fix, it's time to move on to another phone.

Last edited by Kestrel: 10-06-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old
10-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Kestrel

Okay, I'm resurrecting this thread - my sister has gone through 2 HTC's, and now has a Samsung Galaxy SII - same problem. It connects to the network - I can even log onto the router to manage it with her phone. However, there's zilch for internet access.

I would think it was the router with these 3 phones all having the same problem - but up until now, the router has had no problems - several other phones, several computers, a tablet, and e-reader all have no problem.

The only constant I can find is that the 3 phones that won't access the internet have Ice Cream Sandwich installed - at least I'm 95 percent sure of that, since I don't have the phones with me at the moment. In doing google searches, most of the threads I've seen complaining about a lack of internet access over wifi with phones that previously worked have mentioned updating to ICS.

So... any other ideas? Do you guys think ICS is the problem? My sister still has the last HTC because Koodo told her she didn't need to return it. If she will let me, I might want to try playing with a different version of Android on it before doing anything to the Galaxy SII - how difficult is it to put on a different version, any ideas?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Kestrel: 10-30-2012 at 01:33 AM.