HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL to Expand 2 teams in Canada - THN

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 11:38 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
How many times have leagues contracted when there wasn't a World War going on? Once?
The last NFL contraction was in '51. I don't think MLB has contracted since the Great Depression. The NBA's last contraction was in '54. The NHL folded the Cleveland Barons in '78. That's about it. All other post-1950s contractions have one thing in common: They happened in leagues that went under ie ABA, WHA, USFL.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:38 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

as far as time zones and divisions go... look at winnipeg they are a Western time zone like edmonton and such but they put that team in a eastern time zone in southeast... if Hamilton got a team i would be happy in any division pacific or what ever division dont matter to me as long as we got a team

Old
10-27-2012, 11:48 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogsfanforum View Post
as far as time zones and divisions go... look at winnipeg they are a Western time zone like edmonton and such but they put that team in a eastern time zone in southeast... if Hamilton got a team i would be happy in any division pacific or what ever division dont matter to me as long as we got a team
If quebec gets phx they can easily swap the two.

Old
10-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Ryancoke13

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Legally can't move the Blue Jackets, the Canes are going nowhere.

What other brilliant ideas do you have?
I was just trying to throw the idea out there. It doesn't have to be those teams exactly.

My next idea is to give up with the NHL until bettman is gone.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:01 AM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryancoke13 View Post
I was just trying to throw the idea out there. It doesn't have to be those teams exactly.

My next idea is to give up with the NHL until bettman is gone.
Can I roll my eyes now? Bettman isn't the issue. If Bettman disappeared tomorrow the Board Of Governors would just replace him with someone else to do their bidding. Want to give up the NHL until the BOG disappears? Never going to happen. As long as there are professional sports teams there will be owners owning those teams.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:11 AM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
The last NFL contraction was in '51. I don't think MLB has contracted since the Great Depression. The NBA's last contraction was in '54. The NHL folded the Cleveland Barons in '78. That's about it. All other post-1950s contractions have one thing in common: They happened in leagues that went under ie ABA, WHA, USFL.
I think the MLB went very close to contract in 2001 or so (Montreal and Minnesota), but Minnesota Twins were forced to play at their stadium for a certain period of time, which prevented them from being able to fold.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:13 AM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
I think the MLB went very close to contract in 2001 or so (Montreal and Minnesota), but Minnesota Twins were forced to play at their stadium for a certain period of time, which prevented them from being able to fold.
MLB would have relocated the Twins just like they did the Expos. There was no chance at all of those teams being contracted.

Old
10-28-2012, 12:44 AM
aqib

The state of Minnesota sued which is why the Twins couldn't be contracted. They eventually got a new stadium

Old
10-28-2012, 12:50 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Winnipeg is not in the Western Time Zone. They are in the same time zone as cities like Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago and Nashville.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:22 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
That was two owners trying to get a huge cash windfall from MLB and their other owners; one because he was satan and running Montreal into the ground, and the other trying to get a new stadium.

Old
10-28-2012, 03:07 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Winnipeg is not in the Western Time Zone. They are in the same time zone as cities like Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago and Nashville.
my bad i was thinking of geoph for a second like as in manitoba near sask and alberta thats why i thought west for a second my mistake

Old
10-28-2012, 04:13 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
my bad i was thinking of geoph for a second like as in manitoba near sask and alberta thats why i thought west for a second my mistake
manitoba, sakatchewan, and portions of nunavut are in the central time zone.

alberta is in the mountain timezone.

BC is in the pacific timezone.

there is no such thing as the 'western' time zone.

10-28-2012, 01:35 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
manitoba, sakatchewan, and portions of nunavut are in the central time zone.

alberta is in the mountain timezone.

BC is in the pacific timezone.

there is no such thing as the 'western' time zone.
There technically is, but it's in Australia

Old
10-28-2012, 03:59 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Not to mention that Winnipeg is some 1100 miles/1700km from Vancouver. Its closer to Toronto (950 miles/1500km) than it is Vancouver. From my perspective on the west coast, Winnipeg is not west at all, but central or even east.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
1. Saskatoon (I assumed that's what you meant) cannot support an NHL franchise

2. How on earth does that look inevitable?

Actually I disagree on your first point. Sask is booming with the tar sands etc etc and would be a draw for the entire province. I know it's not an ideal urban center but Im thinking along the lines of Green Bay in the NFL. Plus would be a healthy rivalry with Calgary and Edmonton being a road trip away.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:55 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Actually I disagree on your first point. Sask is booming with the tar sands etc etc and would be a draw for the entire province. I know it's not an ideal urban center but Im thinking along the lines of Green Bay in the NFL. Plus would be a healthy rivalry with Calgary and Edmonton being a road trip away.
Green Bay has Milwaukee relatively close by to draw from. Saskatoon is out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't have a fraction of Milwaukee's population.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Also depends on how low down on the scale you want to go with leagues. MLS contracted by withdrawing from florida a while back and there was the nutty CFL experiment in the States...

Old
10-29-2012, 03:53 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Also depends on how low down on the scale you want to go with leagues. MLS contracted by withdrawing from florida a while back and there was the nutty CFL experiment in the States...
Both are minor leagues. I personally follow the CFL but I'm damn near the only person I know who does.....and that includes my Canadian friends. As for MSL, soccer is never going to have much more than a cult following in the US.

Old
10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Both are minor leagues. I personally follow the CFL but I'm damn near the only person I know who does.....and that includes my Canadian friends. As for MSL, soccer is never going to have much more than a cult following in the US.
Lions fan?

(Please don't tell me you like the Argonauts! )

Old
10-29-2012, 05:00 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton Tigers View Post
Lions fan?

(Please don't tell me you like the Argonauts! )
Nope, it's the Argos lol What can I say?

Old
10-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
I follow both the CFL and canadian University football (Go R&O)

Old
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
I follow both the CFL and canadian University football (Go R&O)
Awesome! I have Canadian friends who barely know the CFL exists lol.....but they watch the NFL go figure

Old
10-30-2012, 12:30 AM
CanadianDestroyer

I'm really calling a lot of doubt on this one: no way is the NHL expanding to 32 teams anytime soon (another southern team will move to Canada before that ever happens). Another team in Toronto seems to have become the popular rumor to be kicked around on a slow news day: I can't imagine anyone wanting to have a team in the same city as the Leafs. Yeah, the Leafs have the longest running active drought at the moment but no way are its fans going to throw away what is essentially family loyalty for what could be seen as an upstart. Quebec, though, I can see happening but not via expansion but through another team move like I mentioned.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:16 AM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Green Bay has Milwaukee relatively close by to draw from. Saskatoon is out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't have a fraction of Milwaukee's population.
Saskatchewan as a whole is still some 700,000 short of Milwaukee. Then as has been said ad nasuseum on here, there's a big difference between 8 or 9 football games, mostly on the weekend during the afternoon, than 41 hockey games for a population.

Saskatchewan is not at all suitable for an NHL team under the current structure of the league.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:11 AM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
Saskatchewan as a whole is still some 700,000 short of Milwaukee. Then as has been said ad nasuseum on here, there's a big difference between 8 or 9 football games, mostly on the weekend during the afternoon, than 41 hockey games for a population.

Saskatchewan is not at all suitable for an NHL team under the current structure of the league.
Saskatoon might be more profitable than the Phoenix franchise. Then again, Phoenix should by no means be the benchmark for success.

Closed Thread