HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Number 1 defenceman to Edmonton

Old
10-30-2012, 02:03 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Number 1 defenceman to Edmonton

What would it take?

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:22 AM
SoulReaper
Cake is a LIE!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
What would it take?
What do you expect?

It's pretty obvious it's gonna take one of big 4.

SoulReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:25 AM
duul

Same topic every day.

Even as an Oiler fan I know it'll take one of the big 4, and the Oilers won't be trading them. The Oilers are going to build through drafting, free agency for defence.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:27 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulReaper View Post
What do you expect?

It's pretty obvious it's gonna take one of big 4.
Okay,Would could the Oilers get?

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:27 AM
StringerBell

Another tank job and 3-4 years of proper development.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:31 AM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
We know what we could get. I don't get why fans always post about this. If we trade Hall, Nuge, Yak, Eberle we are going to get value back. (Imo OEL type player for any of them) although some of the other fans may disagree and thats HF. G Night.

eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:31 AM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 622
Quote:
What would it take?
I'm sure if you package MPS with Gagner, maybe throw in a 3rd round pick, St Louis would be happy to give you Alex Pietrangelo, or Pheonix would send you Yandle (if he meets your standards of #1D).

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:34 AM
eskies4life

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I'm sure if you package MPS with Gagner, maybe throw in a 3rd round pick, St Louis would be happy to give you Alex Pietrangelo, or Pheonix would send you Yandle (if he meets your standards of #1D).
Lol'd at Piets for that package.

I meant the package for Piets was horrible...

Last edited by eskies4life: 10-30-2012 at 07:02 PM.
eskies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:35 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
But then who would play second line center?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
do not let Blues or Coyotes fans see this post.

Xav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:13 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
We know what we could get. I don't get why fans always post about this. If we trade Hall, Nuge, Yak, Eberle we are going to get value back. (Imo OEL type player for any of them) although some of the other fans may disagree and thats HF. G Night.
The problem there is that there is no such thing as value in a vacuum. In order to entice a team to give up a player (such as Phoenix with OEL), you need to be meeting their needs.

OEL really broke out last year and was a huge part of their deep playoff run. There isn't a winger in the league whose price tag, age, and impact could tempt Phoenix. Maybe Ovechkin and Kovalchuk for age and impact, but, again Phoenix is not in a position to spend like that. So the only one of the Oilers' "big four" who would start the conversation is RNH. Still, Larsson is more proven and I, personally, wouldn't make that deal if I were Phoenix's management, even though it's an interesting idea.

Who else around the league is a similarly young #1 defenseman like Larsson? Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Doughty? All no. Guys in the next tier like McDonagh, Myers, Hedman, Bogosian, Subban, Adam Larsson, etc. are more likely targets. Find a team who can give up a guy like that without ruining their defensive lineup (tough), and also needs firepower up front and you have the beginnings of a deal. Other than that, you'll have to expand your search to guys in their later 20's. That doesn't mean the big 4 aren't worth that much, but, rather, it means that every team has unique needs, and winger-for-defenseman trades are an awkward start.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Oshie97

Quote:

lol if you actually think Petro is not worth it. How much do you think a young number one d-man is worth? You won't get a Petro, Doughty, or Karlsson with that type of package.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:49 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
I'm pretty sure (at least I hope for their sake) that they were being sarcastic.

And if you do actually think Pietrangelo is not worth that, then I weep for you.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 03:51 AM
The Rock

Pietrangelo is worth MPS, Gagner, and the next 2 edm first round picks

The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:24 AM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
If that...

Xav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:25 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rock View Post
And in an instant, Doug Armstrong goes from GM of the year to Terri Schiavo.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:26 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Carlson for Yak or Ebs.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:38 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Who else around the league is a similarly young #1 defenseman like Larsson? Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Doughty? All no. Guys in the next tier like McDonagh, Myers, Hedman, Bogosian, Subban, Adam Larsson, etc. are more likely targets. Find a team who can give up a guy like that without ruining their defensive lineup (tough), and also needs firepower up front and you have the beginnings of a deal. Other than that, you'll have to expand your search to guys in their later 20's. That doesn't mean the big 4 aren't worth that much, but, rather, it means that every team has unique needs, and winger-for-defenseman trades are an awkward start.
Good post. I could see the following as options due to other teams depth. And even then all teams would be very hesitate to move such valuable blueline pieces. And they may not be exactky what youre hoping to get.

Yandle. I dont see them moving OEL.
One of Enstrom or Bogosian.
McDonagh or Staal. I think theyd want to keep Girardi, MDZ isnt good enough.
Edler. But he's a pending UFA

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:56 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
And people claim we Hab and Leaf fans overrate our players.
Pietrangelo is better than Subban. Pretend the Habs were in the same position to contend as the Blues: does trading away Subban for Gagner (a 40-50 point center) and MPS (a possible 30-40 point winger) make the team better?

The picks arent worth much to the Blues because they are in a "win soon" mode. By the time the players picked make the NHL, the Blues core will be getting older and likely will have split slightly.

Basically what Im saying is that Pietrangelo is worth far more than that package, especially to the Blues.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:05 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
What would it take?
It really depends on which D-man.

I do think it is going to cost more than one of your players and would have to include one of Hall, RNH, Eberle, or Yakupov because those are the desirable players on the Oilers.

If the Oilers aren't ready to give one of those guys up in a trade it is probably best to stay the course and try and draft one or sign one as an UFA.

If you can come nto grips with the fact that most of the players on the Oilers are not in the top half of the players in the NHL and that players like Hemsky, Horcoff, Gagner, etc, are not going to get you anywhere near a legit #1 D-man, it is probably best to just be patient.

There will be good D-men that the Oilers can trade for, they just aren't getting a guy like Weber and they probably shouldn't be looking to do that anyway.

They could have drafted a potential #1 but they took Yakupov instead. That tells me that the Oilers are building their team and know they have a work in progress and they aren't going to be making any panic moves to try and get better earlier than it should take to rebuild.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
And people claim we Hab and Leaf fans overrate our players.
Ask L.A what they want for Doughty or Ott fans what they want for Karlsson... You'll get a no way he's moving or your gonna pay a ton. If these types of d-men were easy to find every team would have one, you just don't trade young d like that without ruining your team. We screwed up and gave you Pronger once cause our owner wanted out, its not happening again.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:14 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Ask L.A what they want for Doughty or Ott fans what they want for Karlsson... You'll get a no way he's moving or your gonna pay a ton. If these types of d-men were easy to find every team would have one, you just don't trade young d like that without ruining your team. We screwed up and gave you Pronger once cause our owner wanted out, its not happening again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Pietrangelo is better than Subban. Pretend the Habs were in the same position to contend as the Blues: does trading away Subban for Gagner (a 40-50 point center) and MPS (a possible 30-40 point winger) make the team better?

The picks arent worth much to the Blues because they are in a "win soon" mode. By the time the players picked make the NHL, the Blues core will be getting older and likely will have split slightly.

Basically what Im saying is that Pietrangelo is worth far more than that package, especially to the Blues.
I think he meant that the Oiler fans were overvaluing the package. At least I hope thats what he meant.

Yandle
Karlsson
Pietrangelo
Doughty
McDonagh
Myers
Hedman
Bogosian
Subban
Larsson

Any one of those would cost the Oilers at least one of the big 4. Some will cost even more.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Fourier

Given the way that Schultz, Marincin and Klefbom have played this year I would suspect that the Oilers are not in the market for a number 1 dman. This is not so much because any of these kids would be that guy but more so because the defense looks like it has the potential to be solid without giving up the price it would take to get any of the guys in this thread.

There is no way that Pheonix deals OEL or that St. Louis deals AP without getting back a package that might cripple a team's depth. At best you are looking at someone like Yandle or maybe a younger less a estblished guy like Bogosian. Neither will be cheap. Trading a guy like Yakupov for either, before you know what you really have seems an unnecessary gamble.

They could still take a run at a guy like Edler if he goes the UFA route. It is a longshot, but you never know.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:42 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Any team in the league would gladly trade Edmonton their reliable, young #1 defenseman in exchange for Hemsky, MPS, and a mid-round draft pick.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
I think he meant that the Oiler fans were overvaluing the package. At least I hope thats what he meant.

Yandle
Karlsson
Pietrangelo
Doughty
McDonagh
Myers
Hedman
Bogosian
Subban
Larsson

Any one of those would cost the Oilers at least one of the big 4. Some will cost even more.
And for the next tier, it would be almost equal or a small plus with the D.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote