HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Raisy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Huge difference first look at where Posa was drafted and then where Bateman was, and then look at the team Posa was trying to make(The Mem cup team) with players like Ellis, Fowler, Cudari, Young, jus to name a few he was an extreme surprise to make the roster and as he said himself "it was a blessing" an 11th round pick making that team...Bateman a first round pick with tons of up side and some hype coming into this league has had a chance on a young team and a defense where there is no reason he shouldn't be making the team, the think is he's been playing like crap and deserves to watch, last night again I wasn't impressed as I saw the kid getting pushed around, gave away the puck a couple times and was caught out of position... Don't know what it is with him, don't know where his head is but maybe he needs a change of scenery that could help him and the spits.
I'm not talking about Posa in the championship year, it was the year after, he was expected to come in and be a regular defenseman, but his first few games there were a lot of mental mistakes and give aways, so he sat for a few games and finally he got that just had to make the simple plays and has been a regular since then. Bateman to me seems the same, expectations may be weighing on him this year because most of his mistakes are mental. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, maybe not. For the record I do not want to trade him, unless it is a deal that Windsor cannot refuse.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:55 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Why does everyone bash Marchese he has 2 goals and 8 assist not to bad, Better then Cortellessa who has only one assist in 9 games this season, he's had 3 or 4 games where he has been invisible but in most games he's getting chances and playing good defensively, I'd take Marchese everyday of the week over Cortellessa that kid has proven zilch during his ohl career
For the same reason people are bashing a club near the top of the standings for being unable to score and having poor defence. The spits need to perform like the 87 canada cup team to shut off the complaints. It's why i haven't bothered coming around much lately, this thread is great when guys like legend are busting out rumors and speculation, but it's insufferable to read all the crying about how bad we are and how much better every other team is supposed to be. This team has it's issues, but look at a team like Kitchener who was supposed to be the class of the west. Tell me they don't have issues too. We're not doing too badly, if a couple guys start finding the back of the net with more consistency we'll be in line to get home ice in the first round at least.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
For the same reason people are bashing a club near the top of the standings for being unable to score and having poor defence. The spits need to perform like the 87 canada cup team to shut off the complaints. It's why i haven't bothered coming around much lately, this thread is great when guys like legend are busting out rumors and speculation, but it's insufferable to read all the crying about how bad we are and how much better every other team is supposed to be. This team has it's issues, but look at a team like Kitchener who was supposed to be the class of the west. Tell me they don't have issues too. We're not doing too badly, if a couple guys start finding the back of the net with more consistency we'll be in line to get home ice in the first round at least.
That isn't near the truth. Give Windsor credit last night it was their best performance of the year. It's not that anybody thinks they're really bad it's just they are very inconsistent as they were last year. If you want to talk other teams do it but let's be honest. You want to talk Kitchener? Absolutely they struggled out of the gate, couldn't score 5 on 5, lost games they should have won but they also played their first 8 games on the road and now they have won 4 in a row and outscored teams 19-9 which is very good. Windsor right now is 6th in winning % in the West probably right where people thought they might be. Like I said earlier it's the inconsistency tomorrow will be a good test because it's after a big win and before that win Boughner gave them the riot act so we will see if it's just 1 game or something more to it.

Old
10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
OHLTG

It's not near the truth? You're right. It IS the truth.

Old
10-27-2012, 09:49 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
It's not near the truth? You're right. It IS the truth.
What are you talking about? You never addressed a single point I made. Instead of just making a snide comment why don't you actually try to have a conversation?

Old
10-28-2012, 02:54 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

How has Michael Clarke looked? Still suffering from inconsistency or too much depth for him to play top line minutes? Or has he looked good?

Old
10-28-2012, 03:03 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
What are you talking about? You never addressed a single point I made. Instead of just making a snide comment why don't you actually try to have a conversation?
Having a conversation on here is like defending fighting; you try, but sometimes it's just pointless.

The team has big expectations this year, with people looking for a fourth place finish (including myself). That's what happened with the last batch, so surely that's what's supposed to happen this time. Frankly, in the junior hockey cycle, it's not unrealistic to expect it.

When a team struggles out of the gate, for whatever reason, people jump on them and find anything to criticize about. This player is having a horrible year, that powerplay is brutal, this goaltender can't stop a beach ball, that defenceman is useless, etc. It's become a never-ending "let's bash because we can" situation. Sure, other teams that should be below us are ahead of us, but it's October. Why should I freak out? What point does that possibly serve? I didn't know you could lose a title in October. If this team was winning, people would either jump on the bandwagon ("I KNEW this team had it in them") or they'd still find a reason to complain ("he scored a hat-trick? Only took him a year!"). It's the way the internet works.

I won't deny this team is inconsistent, but the talent is there and there's no reason they shouldn't do well.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Spits finish the 5 game road trip which of course was split into 2 weekends at 2-3,not the greatest but they did go 2-2 in the last 4 so I will take,the effort was good in the last 2 losses including todays 5-2 game at Owen Sd
Binnington was huge in goal for OS while Pavelka was replaced after the 1st,allowing 3 goals and battling the puck, despite the Spits decent effort,replaced by Dekort for the final 2 periods
Poor powerplay vis-a-vis execution killed Windsor today,aside from the fact every time spits made a mistake it wound up in the back of the net,but they battled hard against probably the dirtiest team in the league,its too bad Windsor let them off the hook,after having two 5 minute pps though they were shortened by Windsor penalties
The game featured 3 fights,all good ones too
Studnicka-Pezzetta,E.Clark-Zweep in the main event,and Seiloff-Cutting in the 3rd one,Spits in my view took 2 of the 3 with Eclark losing his to the giant Zweep,got to give marks to Clark,he is 5'9" while Zweep is 6'5"
As well there numerous scrums and chirping throughout this game,clear to see these teams dont like each other
I would have dressed Bowen instead of Bateman for this contest because of OS"s style of play
Including misconducts and game misconducts there were total of 196 penalty minutes assessed in this game including 103 in the 2nd period
Unfortunately not enough of Windsor"s best players matched Owen Sd particularily Binnington who stoned the spits on at least 3/4 occassions,while Gemel Smith Brace and Blandisi were dangerous all game
The Vail-Rychel-Marchese played well,with Marchese getting both goals,while nobody stood out on defence,whereas with Owen Sd,Chiarlitti,Bigras and Dotchin were outstanding
Some a loss like this galvanizes a team with everybody sticking together thru this games war,a game that saw alot of dirty hits and a few fights
With London up next we will see

Old
10-28-2012, 04:37 PM
massey

Quote:
Having a conversation on here is like defending fighting; you try, but sometimes it's just pointless.

The team has big expectations this year, with people looking for a fourth place finish (including myself). That's what happened with the last batch, so surely that's what's supposed to happen this time. Frankly, in the junior hockey cycle, it's not unrealistic to expect it.

When a team struggles out of the gate, for whatever reason, people jump on them and find anything to criticize about. This player is having a horrible year, that powerplay is brutal, this goaltender can't stop a beach ball, that defenceman is useless, etc. It's become a never-ending "let's bash because we can" situation. Sure, other teams that should be below us are ahead of us, but it's October. Why should I freak out? What point does that possibly serve? I didn't know you could lose a title in October. If this team was winning, people would either jump on the bandwagon ("I KNEW this team had it in them") or they'd still find a reason to complain ("he scored a hat-trick? Only took him a year!"). It's the way the internet works.

I won't deny this team is inconsistent, but the talent is there and there's no reason they shouldn't do well.
Thats interesting,Sting fan here and our site was also full of negativity before the season and after the first few games.Now that we are winning,playing well,no one is even commenting on here.I was also questioning some things that were done but has also been the first to compliment the players and staff.They are just kids and will have there ups and down.Windsor still looks pretty good overall to me and i am sure they will come around.

Old
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
hockeylegend11

Too bad,Windsor not playing the Storm next week,as both Pedan and Kosmachuck received match penalties in their game against SSM,Pedan's was for kicking,while Kosmachuck's match was for high sticking
Been saying along Owen Sd and Guelph 2 of the dirtiest teams in the O,todays actions has not swayed my view

Old
10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Too bad,Windsor not playing the Storm next week,as both Pedan and Kosmachuck received match penalties in their game against SSM,Pedan's was for kicking,while Kosmachuck's match was for high sticking
Been saying along Owen Sd and Guelph 2 of the dirtiest teams in the O,todays actions has not swayed my view
Owen Sound certainly plays on the edge. Of course they win games so it's not a problem. If Windsor made Owen Sound pay with the 1 5 min PP and the other one that was interrupted but they gave up a goal 5 seconds into the 5 on 5 on poor coverage. Would still like to see more of DeKort, if Pavelka is going to play this much he needs to be better. Of course with London and Kitchener this week you will probably see more Pavelka.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Owen Sound certainly plays on the edge. Of course they win games so it's not a problem. If Windsor made Owen Sound pay with the 1 5 min PP and the other one that was interrupted but they gave up a goal 5 seconds into the 5 on 5 on poor coverage. Would still like to see more of DeKort, if Pavelka is going to play this much he needs to be better. Of course with London and Kitchener this week you will probably see more Pavelka.
Yes Owen Sd does play on the edge,it caught up them last yr in the playoffs,ran out of bodies,can see the same happen this yr too,I agree DeKort should play more,I would play him on Friday at Kitchener,if not Belleville on Sunday
Pavelka usually follows a bad outing with a good one,guess we will see

Old
10-28-2012, 06:32 PM
massey

Quote:
Yes Owen Sd does play on the edge,it caught up them last yr in the playoffs,ran out of bodies,can see the same happen this yr too,I agree DeKort should play more,I would play him on Friday at Kitchener,if not Belleville on Sunday
Does Pavelka usually give up those juicy rebounds.The night he was in Sarnia,rebounds were easily available.I am noticing that on the games I am watching on the computer also.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
OHLTG

Maybe it was just me today, but Pavelka was left hanging dry in the first by the defence. Blandisi made us look silly and there wasn't much JP could have done.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:50 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
The one area Owen Sound is clearly better is in net with Binnington. I am not sure if Stajcer was into it last year and wanted to be in the OHL but Binnington is one of the best goalies in this league not named Gibson. This is not meant to rip on Pavelka but if Windsor had a goalie like Binnington they could win the division.

Old
10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
The one area Owen Sound is clearly better is in net with Binnington. I am not sure if Stajcer was into it last year and wanted to be in the OHL but Binnington is one of the best goalies in this league not named Gibson. This is not meant to rip on Pavelka but if Windsor had a goalie like Binnington they could win the division.
If we had a more consistent defence, sure...

Old
10-29-2012, 10:08 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
If we had a more consistent defence, sure...
That might be for another discussion for another time on why the defense isn't better. They have 2 OHL 1st round picks in Ebert, Bateman. A 2nd round NHL pick in Sieloff. A 2nd round OHL pick in Devlin and Sanvido(rookie so he has to develop still) and 4th year OA in Posa. It's not like we are talking 9th and 10th round Joe Blow who just came to the league and is struggling. All of these guys are either high picks or veterans and they need more out of those guys.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:24 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I agree Binnington is the best goalie in the conference,and if Windsor had a goalie like him a division 1st place finish might be there

Old
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
That might be for another discussion for another time on why the defense isn't better. They have 2 OHL 1st round picks in Ebert, Bateman. A 2nd round NHL pick in Sieloff. A 2nd round OHL pick in Devlin and Sanvido(rookie so he has to develop still) and 4th year OA in Posa. It's not like we are talking 9th and 10th round Joe Blow who just came to the league and is struggling. All of these guys are either high picks or veterans and they need more out of those guys.
Could not agree definitely need more from this group in terms of execution and in many cases consistency

Old
10-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Libbs

How's Sanvido doing?

I'm guessing that since no one is commenting on his play (good or bad) that he's doing exactly what he should be doing.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:12 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
How's Sanvido doing?

I'm guessing that since no one is commenting on his play (good or bad) that he's doing exactly what he should be doing.
Libbs

Overall he has been pretty good,makes the safe plays,adding a bit more physicality to his game,the game against Owen Sd on Sunday may have been his worst,otherwise he has been surprising to me at least
When I saw him at the rookie camp I figured he needed a year of seasoning,but as camp,exhibition,and now the reg season,he has played pretty good for a 16 year old
Appears to have a bright future

Old
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
goalpostmahoney

Legend Sanvido can't skate at this level yet maybe in the future but not now. You are right maybe Jr. B for now

Old
10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpostmahoney View Post
Legend Sanvido can't skate at this level yet maybe in the future but not now. You are right maybe Jr. B for now
He seems to be getting top 4 minutes right now... he must be doing something right to deserve his ice time. Doesn't sound like he needs to go to Jr. B to me.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
He seems to be getting top 4 minutes right now... he must be doing something right to deserve his ice time. Doesn't sound like he needs to go to Jr. B to me.
Libbs
You are correct he has been getting top 4 minutes,skating and footwork have improved but a work in progress,as u probably read I thought in the beginning he should be in B but he has played very well
Expect he and HoSang to play at Xmas time with -17 tourney

Old
10-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpostmahoney View Post
Sanvido is playing just fine, he's keeping it simple and keeping his mistakes to a minimal, if you don't notice him that means he's playing a good game, right now he won't throw up a lot of points maybe in a couple years but right now it's all about keeping it simple and keeping the puck out of the net, could his skating be better?, sure it could but to me it's just fine he's going to get better skating he just keeps growing and has to get use to it.... He's deserves a spot on the D IMO he's earned it over Devlin, Bateman, Bowen.

Closed Thread