HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
  #401
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Pretty sad of those claiming the rust excuse. Obviously people who didn't grow up playing a sport for their entire lives and don't understand that hes been back playing for over 6 months. He was a little rusty in last years playoffs, but now? Come on. You're just making our fan base look bad.
Pretty sad that you're harping on a kid who's 3 points out of the ohl leading scoring. A player playing on a bad team who is by far leaps and bounds better than anyone on that team. You're just making our fan base look bad.

Definitely not worried about Galchenyuk. Actually watch the games and you'll see there is nothing to worry about.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:34 PM
  #402
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Pretty sad that you're harping on a kid who's 3 points out of the ohl leading scoring. A player playing on a bad team who is by far leaps and bounds better than anyone on that team. You're just making our fan base look bad.

Definitely not worried about Galchenyuk. Actually watch the games and you'll see there is nothing to worry about.
Where have I ever harped on Galchenyuk?

You are mistaking me for some sort of hater, when all I'm hating on are the sorry saps making excuses for him.

I love Galchenyuk and think he's going to be a great player for us, and I have been watching the games. I just think this "rust" talk is borderline pathetic.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:35 PM
  #403
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Pretty sad of those claiming the rust excuse. Obviously people who didn't grow up playing a sport for their entire lives and don't understand that hes been back playing for over 6 months. He was a little rusty in last years playoffs, but now? Come on. You're just making our fan base look bad.
Could say the same of you. Practices and camps aren't games. The timing is different, decision making is affected, performance is affected.

Shutdown is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:38 PM
  #404
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,985
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Pretty sad of those claiming the rust excuse. Obviously people who didn't grow up playing a sport for their entire lives and don't understand that hes been back playing for over 6 months. He was a little rusty in last years playoffs, but now? Come on. You're just making our fan base look bad.
What games was he playing in from April to August?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:39 PM
  #405
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Again, rust talk before the draft regarding the 8 games he played last year was valid. Rust talk for the 16 games or so he's played this year is just sad. He's playing well, if inconsistently. But I'm not going to blame the inconsistency on "rust". I think it more has to do with the pressure of being a star on an awful team, but who knows. I just know it's not "rust", the guy has been playing hockey non stop for over half a year straight. In fact, there's a better chance he's burning out a bit...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:42 PM
  #406
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What games was he playing in from April to August?
Biosteel among other things? The guys been on the ice non stop since he came back from injury over 6 months ago, played in last years playoffs, impressed at the combine, did a rookie camp, and went through a full training camp like every other CHL player. He's probably more fatigued than "rusty".

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
  #407
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Again, rust talk before the draft regarding the 8 games he played last year was valid. Rust talk for the 16 games or so he's played this year is just sad. He's playing well, if inconsistently. But I'm not going to blame the inconsistency on "rust". I think it more has to do with the pressure of being a star on an awful team, but who knows. I just know it's not "rust", the guy has been playing hockey non stop for over half a year straight. In fact, there's a better chance he's burning out a bit...
he's barely played 30 games of hockey since returning from injury late last march...how is it that he's burning out?

Andy is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
  #408
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Biosteel among other things? The guys been on the ice non stop since he came back from injury over 6 months ago, played in last years playoffs, impressed at the combine, did a rookie camp, and went through a full training camp like every other CHL player. He's probably more fatigued than "rusty".
Again, thinking Biosteel's camp is the same as an actual game in terms of speed/pace, intensity and timing is ignorant.

Shutdown is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
  #409
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,985
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Biosteel among other things? The guys been on the ice non stop since he came back from injury over 6 months ago, and went through a full training camp like every other CHL player. He's probably more fatigued than "rusty".
The fact that you consider the Biosteel training camp on par with actual regular season game action is more than slightly damaging to your argument. Unless you can specify what any of those "other things" are.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:52 PM
  #410
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Rookie camp? Training camp? On ice workouts? 8 games last year? 15 games this year?


If you guys are so hell bent on believing he's "rusty", go right ahead.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
  #411
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Rookie camp? Training camp? On ice workouts? 8 games last year? 15 games this year?


If you guys are so hell bent on believing he's "rusty", go right ahead.
like I said, he's barely played 30 games in the last 6 months. The only person hell bent on anything here is you. Don't really know what your point is. Galchenyuk's play speaks for himself and he's doing more than just fine.

Rookie camps, training camps and on-ice work outs are hardly a proper simulation of an actual game. That's like saying Markov should return 100% to form because despite not playing much he's been doing many on-ice workouts.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 12:57 PM
  #412
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,985
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Rookie camp? Training camp? On ice workouts? 8 games last year? 15 games this year?


If you guys are so hell bent on believing he's "rusty", go right ahead.
If I'm hellbent on anything it's logic, and I don't find much logic in equating a couple of camps and practices as replacements for an entire regular season. That's all.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
  #413
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
like I said, he's barely played 30 games in the last 6 months. The only person hell bent on anything here is you. Don't really know what your point is. Galchenyuk's play speaks for himself and he's doing more than just fine.
That was my point.

This board is in a really sad state. You are either a fanboy or a hater, one can't look at things objectively, and if you do you get painted with one of those brushes regardless. I was not hating on Galchenyuk, I just thought it was pretty sad people are using the rust excuse to explain why he doesn't have a 1000 points already. I know this concept is being lost on the majority of you.

As you said yourself he played over 30 games since he's come back. Not to mention the fact he's been on the ice working out pretty much every day since he was given clearance to do so.

Is Morgan Reilly rusty? Leafs fans are laughing at you guys in case you aren't aware, was just trying to save you guys from this self embarrassment....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:06 PM
  #414
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
That was my point.

This board is in a really sad state. You are either a fanboy or a hater, one can't look at things objectively, and if you do you get painted with one of those brushes regardless. I was not hating on Galchenyuk, I just thought it was pretty sad people are using the rust excuse to explain why he doesn't have a 1000 points already. I know this concept is being lost on the majority of you.

As you said yourself he played over 30 games since he's come back. Not to mention the fact he
s been on the ice working out pretty much every day since he was given clearance to do so.

Is Morgan Reilly rusty? Leafs fans are laughing at you guys in case you aren't aware, was just trying to save you guys from this self embarrassment....
Rust isn't being used as an excuse. People are talking about rust because he actually was rusty in the first couple of games. Watch his game in the last 2 weeks and his game in the first 2 weeks and you see that there actually was rust. Not sure what your point is. It's not about his stats, but his overall play. He was clearly rusty at first. Most of that seems to have gone away.

And no, he hasn't even played 30 games in the last 6 months. That is not a lot of hockey considering half of those games have been played in the last month and a half.

Again, not sure with on-ice training has to do with anything considering it's not an actual game. I still don't know why you keep on insisting on this point. Barely playing 30 games in 6 months is not a lot of hockey.

Morgan Reilly isn't Alex Galchenyuk, I don't give a crap what Reilly does. Not everyone recovers as quickly as everyone else or returns to form as quickly, so I really don't see an argument there. Good for Reilly he came back and didn't lose a step. As for Galchenyuk, he needed some time to get back in the thick of things. Even if he had put up points early on, it was still clear that he was rusty in his first couple of weeks.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:12 PM
  #415
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
It took him a couple of games to get going in his return last year, but he actually looked pretty good in the playoffs. Sure he was a little rusty to start the year off, but almost everyone is.

But talking like he's rusty due to the knee still is pathetic and makes the fanbase look bad. But whatevs.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:17 PM
  #416
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
It took him a couple of games to get going in his return last year, but he actually looked pretty good in the playoffs. Sure he was a little rusty to start the year off, but almost everyone is.

But talking like he's rusty due to the knee still is pathetic and makes the fanbase look bad. But whatevs.
So Galchenyuk was rusty according to you, but not because of knee, but because it was the start of the year? But I thought that all those on-ice trainings were supposed to remove that rust?

Sarcasm aside, I really don't see why you're so upset. So you admit that Galchenyuk was rusty, but not because of his knee injury? You're really just complaining for no reason.

You say he's rusty because of the start of a new season (which btw isn't consistent with what you were saying about all those camps and on-ice trainings) and others are saying he's rusty because he missed an entire hockey season and not not just any season, but a season at a key point in his development (something which seems to be lost in all this). Losing a season at the age he did can have a huge impact, lucky for us, it doesn't look like it has affected him that much. But really, you are complaining for nothing.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
  #417
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
There was rust, but the important thing to note is that when Galchenyuk plays well the Sting win games. Even if he is not piling on the points, he is making it difficult for opposing teams. They have to base their team game off of him which opens up a lot of space for the second and third lines. Where he is going to do most of his damage at the NHL level will be the powerplay. He likes to move around a lot and confuse defenses. I wouldnt say he has amazing chemistry with any player on his team right now. Often he will skate around, deke one or two guys and then dish it off, but its not like he has any set plan in his mind when he does these things. At least with Yakupov, he could get him the puck and then Yakupov can make a play out of it. Most characterize him as a "possession player"; that is, he can hold the puck for days and not lose it. Get him a bonafide scorer to give the puck to and he will have many more points. While he does have good vision and passing abilities, his game is not an extremely cerebral one. I would say he plays more on instinct and needs someone who can play the same.

One nasty combination would be Drouin-Galchenyuk. I also like the idea of Erne-Galchenyuk

Rise from the Ashes is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
  #418
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,617
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
But talking like he's rusty due to the knee still is pathetic and makes the fanbase look bad. But whatevs.
Aren't you the guy who started this whole argument for reasons no one can figure out? So he had a slow start a month ago and it lasted 2-3 weeks, what's the big deal? It changes nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
  #419
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,380
vCash: 500
21 pts in 15 games and a +2

next nearest teammate in points is at 15 and the next 6 are in negatives

and we're still worried about Gally?

He's going to be a star guys, don't worry.

That Habs Fan is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:32 PM
  #420
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
That was my point.

This board is in a really sad state. You are either a fanboy or a hater, one can't look at things objectively, and if you do you get painted with one of those brushes regardless. I was not hating on Galchenyuk, I just thought it was pretty sad people are using the rust excuse to explain why he doesn't have a 1000 points already. I know this concept is being lost on the majority of you.

As you said yourself he played over 30 games since he's come back. Not to mention the fact he's been on the ice working out pretty much every day since he was given clearance to do so.

Is Morgan Reilly rusty? Leafs fans are laughing at you guys in case you aren't aware, was just trying to save you guys from this self embarrassment....

Except you are the only guy talking in extremes, calling us pathetic for thinking that it was perfectly natural that his timing was off to start the season.

Nobody is giving him a free pass to stink up the place, but he never was, and the fact that he's already for more comfortable than he was say a month ago says it all really.

I don't understand your point, so it's okay to say he's rusty because it was the start of the year, but not because he only played eight games the year before? But what about all those training camps and biosteel events, shouldn't those have given him an unfair advantage over those kids who didn't go to biosteel events?

It would be concerning with or without that injury if he wasn't standing out in the CHL, but he is. But what is funny is people thought he could have been NHL ready this year despite missing a year of development.

Et le But is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:40 PM
  #421
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
The point is the rust excuse is a bad one. He was no more rusty heading into the year than anyone else. But if you want to continue using it, go right ahead.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
  #422
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,985
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
The point is the rust excuse is a bad one. He was no more rusty heading into the year than anyone else. But if you want to continue using it, go right ahead.
So then, in your opinion, why don't more prospects take an entire season off? Since you seem to be implying that his bears no ill effect on their gameplay or their preparation for any future seasons, and all it takes is a few games and a couple of camps to get back on the same level as everyone else...why bother playing the games?

hototogisu is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 01:53 PM
  #423
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
There was rust, but the important thing to note is that when Galchenyuk plays well the Sting win games. Even if he is not piling on the points, he is making it difficult for opposing teams. They have to base their team game off of him which opens up a lot of space for the second and third lines. Where he is going to do most of his damage at the NHL level will be the powerplay. He likes to move around a lot and confuse defenses. I wouldnt say he has amazing chemistry with any player on his team right now. Often he will skate around, deke one or two guys and then dish it off, but its not like he has any set plan in his mind when he does these things. At least with Yakupov, he could get him the puck and then Yakupov can make a play out of it. Most characterize him as a "possession player"; that is, he can hold the puck for days and not lose it. Get him a bonafide scorer to give the puck to and he will have many more points. While he does have good vision and passing abilities, his game is not an extremely cerebral one. I would say he plays more on instinct and needs someone who can play the same.

One nasty combination would be Drouin-Galchenyuk. I also like the idea of Erne-Galchenyuk
Exactly.

Give this guy a great finisher and he will just pile on the points. If he had a Bozon type winger who can score at will, he'd be leading the OHL in scoring right now without a doubt in my mind.

JGRB is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 02:04 PM
  #424
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,096
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
The point is the rust excuse is a bad one. He was no more rusty heading into the year than anyone else. But if you want to continue using it, go right ahead.
Wow... Do you play sports? I never use that kind of argument because most of the time its lame, but you do know that if you don't practice a sport for a while or do it only occasionally its going to take a while to get back to your old level? And no, friendly games and practice do not equate competitive games.

And besides, we're not using it as an ''excuse''. Galchenyuk is doing good but he was not as dominant as expected in his few first games. The way you talk its as if he had 5 points in 15 games and we were struggling to find explanations for it... Pretty much everyone here is actually satisfied.

Anyways if you know why Galchenyuk appeared to start a bit slow and had trouble finding his timing but is progressively getting up to speed let us know. Is it his diet? Did he have trouble with his sleep pattern? Did he hooked up with a particularily ''aggressive'' puck bunny early in the season? Did he shoot wide on purpose to annoy HFboards fans?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
  #425
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Wow... Do you play sports? I never use that kind of argument because most of the time its lame, but you do know that if you don't practice a sport for a while or do it only occasionally its going to take a while to get back to your old level? And no, friendly games and practice do not equate competitive games.

And besides, we're not using it as an ''excuse''. Galchenyuk is doing good but he was not as dominant as expected in his few first games. The way you talk its as if he had 5 points in 15 games and we were struggling to find explanations for it... Pretty much everyone here is actually satisfied.

Anyways if you know why Galchenyuk appeared to start a bit slow and had trouble finding his timing but is progressively getting up to speed let us know. Is it his diet? Did he have trouble with his sleep pattern? He hooked up with a particularily ''aggressive'' puck bunny early in the season?
Actually yes, I do play sports, and I have even had to come back from a major injury.

Gally rehabed LAST SEASON and was able to make it back for the end of the regular season, and then the PLAYOFFS. He then spent the ENTIRE OFFSEASON getting stronger and practically lived on the rink. He then went through the rigors of the combine, several camps (biosteel, habs rookie camp, training camp) and has gone on to play 15 games thus far this season. Do you really think he is still rusty?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.