HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking of playing Goalie at age 32

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
  #76
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Not at all, that's awesome. Yeah I went through that whole thread at GSBB. Think I'll be happy with this. Hope it doesn't take too long to ship. Think I hyperextended my right knee a bit. I should be ok. oh, I'm going to get my GoPro ready. Should be able to film this whole game.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:08 PM
  #77
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser
 
HockeyStickHomicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Man, everyone got a gopro.

Thinking I may have to get one for Christmas.

The mask vinyl: 20 bucks compared to 500, and you can change it whenever you want!

Good luck tonight.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 05:16 PM
  #78
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
I know Hank already answered this, but better to play with a iffy knee with more dull or sharpened skates?

Common sense tells me dull, Hank tells me dull.

Thoughts? The reason I ask is because I'm due for a sharpening.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 08:34 PM
  #79
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser
 
HockeyStickHomicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
I keep mine duller than most. I really don't butterfly slide much at all, so no push off. More of a Hasek style goalie(though Im getting too old for it).

Its give or take on your style I think. Bfly a lot and you need em sharp, regardless of knee of not...but you will be putting more overall stress on your legs, shuffling and what not.
I would agree with you guys and say dull would be best.

Whatever you do, dont sharpen before a game. Wait till you get a pickup skate before that.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
  #80
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post

Whatever you do, dont sharpen before a game. Wait till you get a pickup skate before that.
x10000000000000000000000

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
  #81
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
HAD A BLAST tonight. Was stopping everything...... up until I tweaked my knee. I kept trying to play but it made everything worse. I couldn't go down, I couldn't push off. I took a 5min break and tried again. Went down to push off and felt crazy pain and put my face right into the ice. Right now I'm at home, knee is literally on fire. I feel a popping in and out when moving it up and down. When fully extended there's tremendous pain.

No clue what the heck happened but I'm pissed. I was doing great, all the confidence in the world, made some great saves. Then this happened and it's like my mind was injected with a virus. Couldn't stop thinking about it and couldn't physically do what I wanted.

Learn from my mistakes. As a Goalie, don't mess around with anything especially a knee. Don't be stubborn and listen to your body. I may have made my own bed that I have to lay in for awhile.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:41 AM
  #82
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone
 
Gigantor The Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
HAD A BLAST tonight. Was stopping everything...... up until I tweaked my knee. I kept trying to play but it made everything worse. I couldn't go down, I couldn't push off. I took a 5min break and tried again. Went down to push off and felt crazy pain and put my face right into the ice. Right now I'm at home, knee is literally on fire. I feel a popping in and out when moving it up and down. When fully extended there's tremendous pain.

No clue what the heck happened but I'm pissed. I was doing great, all the confidence in the world, made some great saves. Then this happened and it's like my mind was injected with a virus. Couldn't stop thinking about it and couldn't physically do what I wanted.

Learn from my mistakes. As a Goalie, don't mess around with anything especially a knee. Don't be stubborn and listen to your body. I may have made my own bed that I have to lay in for awhile.
As a person I say good advice. As a stubborn goalie I say shut up body! I'm playing hockey and you don't have a say! I don't think I've played a game or been in a practice though where I knew something was wrong with my body.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:45 AM
  #83
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Well several things kept me in it. I was being evaluated, but he left just before I tweaked it. Then I felt bad because there was no other Goalie. Then I thought I was Superman and couldn't be hurt. I was like "nah this isn't happening" lol

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
  #84
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
x10000000000000000000000
Boy do I diasagree with this 100%. I love freshly sharpened skates and if I could afford it I would do it before every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart
Can't wait for Maltese's stuff to come out. If its any where near the quality of his GPS Combo or his mask padding, we are in for a treat
I expect nothing less. Both of my masks have Maltese gel and I have the GPS combo. I'm about to order another GPS combo now that he is customizing them and a matching one for my son.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:54 PM
  #85
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser
 
HockeyStickHomicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
Went down to push off and felt crazy pain and put my face right into the ice. Right now I'm at home, knee is literally on fire. I feel a popping in and out when moving it up and down. When fully extended there's tremendous pain.
Sounds exactly like my meniscus tear.
Keep it iced and have it looked at asap.

Hope its just a hyper extension or a bruise..

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
  #86
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Boy do I diasagree with this 100%. I love freshly sharpened skates and if I could afford it I would do it before every game.



I expect nothing less. Both of my masks have Maltese gel and I have the GPS combo. I'm about to order another GPS combo now that he is customizing them and a matching one for my son.
do it asap, i was told by phil that when the new site goes up the price is gonna go up to 130

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 10:15 PM
  #87
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide View Post
Sounds exactly like my meniscus tear.
Keep it iced and have it looked at asap.

Hope its just a hyper extension or a bruise..
umm...freaky you say that........

Went to Ortho.. from what he can tell it seems it may be a meniscus tear that's out of place. Not entirely sure so my MRI is Friday.

That's just minor anyways right? I can get a cortisone shot or something.

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
  #88
glenn77
Registered User
 
glenn77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
I have a similar thing. Even before I took up the torch between the pipes, everytime I bent down on the flr and put pressure on my right knee I get almost a burning sensation just below the kneecap, a little off-center.

I have no idea what it is but really feels like someone puts an open flame to that area.

Thought it was maybe the thigh-guard having not enough padding but my bro-in-law, who is a goalie also, said pad/guards aren;t the issue, its my knee. So frustrating!

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM
  #89
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Found this and it's SPOT ON...

What a Torn Meniscus Feels Like

What are the symptoms of a torn meniscus? The first two are the typical pain and swelling deep in the knee joint. For me, this is the primary indicator that we need to check the menisci. Another symptom is the inability to fully extend the knee—that is, it feels better to keep the knee bent a little. Once a tear is bad enough, it may even be tough to put any pressure at all on the leg in question; so walking with a limp is another indication of a tear. With a torn meniscus, clicking is often heard; but since clicking can come from a few other things, in and of itself, it does not signify a tear.


What gets me, is that the "Sports Specialist Orthopedic Doctor" that I saw, said "all signs point to a torn meniscus but the only odd thing is why you can't extend your knee fully" I don't want a bad Doctor working on my knee. Even though he said the cause of the lack of full extending could be from the torn meniscus being in the way of something else. Seems like he should know better?

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:59 AM
  #90
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
Found this and it's SPOT ON...

What a Torn Meniscus Feels Like

What are the symptoms of a torn meniscus? The first two are the typical pain and swelling deep in the knee joint. For me, this is the primary indicator that we need to check the menisci. Another symptom is the inability to fully extend the knee—that is, it feels better to keep the knee bent a little. Once a tear is bad enough, it may even be tough to put any pressure at all on the leg in question; so walking with a limp is another indication of a tear. With a torn meniscus, clicking is often heard; but since clicking can come from a few other things, in and of itself, it does not signify a tear.


What gets me, is that the "Sports Specialist Orthopedic Doctor" that I saw, said "all signs point to a torn meniscus but the only odd thing is why you can't extend your knee fully" I don't want a bad Doctor working on my knee. Even though he said the cause of the lack of full extending could be from the torn meniscus being in the way of something else. Seems like he should know better?
Did you get a MRI? Without it all the doc's are pretty much useless

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
  #91
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
Did you get a MRI? Without it all the doc's are pretty much useless
He tried to get me in asap for MRI. Earliest was tomorrow. Been calling around today but only openings are tonight and I won't be home tonight. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Pretty sure he would be the one doing the surgery, so I hope he knows wtf he's doing!

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:07 PM
  #92
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser
 
HockeyStickHomicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
I couldn't straighten my leg for almost three weeks. Had to rock the crutches in a good sized college campus in the middle of a snowy February. Not fun.

Hoping for the best for ya.

Also make sure your going with sliding toe bridges and a good amount of slack, it takes a lot of torque off your knee. It takes a bit to get used to the amount of pad rotation, but it will save your knees and ankles down the road.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:24 PM
  #93
Hank4Hart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshNsoClean View Post
He tried to get me in asap for MRI. Earliest was tomorrow. Been calling around today but only openings are tonight and I won't be home tonight. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Pretty sure he would be the one doing the surgery, so I hope he knows wtf he's doing!
Unless a doctor has MRI results he really can't say anything for sure, so you can't expect to hear a definitive answer or prognosis till then.

Just pray its not a torn meniscus that could take a while to recover from.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
  #94
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
Unless a doctor has MRI results he really can't say anything for sure, so you can't expect to hear a definitive answer or prognosis till then.

Just pray its not a torn meniscus that could take a while to recover from.
screw that.. I could play with this right now if the pain was gone... give me a cortisone shot and call it a day

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:48 AM
  #95
CoopALoop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Van, Bandwagoner
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Hey Fresh,

The mods at GSBB have notified me that you are now an active member.

Also:

I sharpen my skates after two ice times, no matter what. Nice, crisp sharp skates are too needed for myself otherwise.

Good thing my local shop has a "season pass" for sharpenings.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:06 AM
  #96
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Hey Fresh,

The mods at GSBB have notified me that you are now an active member.

Also:

I sharpen my skates after two ice times, no matter what. Nice, crisp sharp skates are too needed for myself otherwise.

Good thing my local shop has a "season pass" for sharpenings.
Thanks Coop and I do appreciate you doing that for me bro. My original account they didn't activate (one I gave you). My new account I signed up for after they fixed the problem got the

Dear Fresh39,

Hello, your application to become a member of Goalie Store Bulletin Board has been rejected.


But while it was broke I made several other accounts during the time to see if it was fixed. After digging a bit it looks like they activated one of the other random accounts.

I like the people at www.goaliecrease.net . Better structure & setup. More of a "new school" feeling than the old feel. Mods and admins that care. I've chatted with synesthete (admin) over there and a true class act. That's my new Goalie home and couldn't be happier.


Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 10-28-2012 at 11:24 AM.
FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:40 AM
  #97
glenn77
Registered User
 
glenn77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
Hey Fresh,

The mods at GSBB have notified me that you are now an active member.
That board is extremely frustrating. I signed-up - waited 3 weeks till FINALLY got the green light from them saying I had been approved. Went to login - still says my acct has not been approved! Emailed a few times but gave up as its almost like my requests fall on deaf ears.

glenn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
  #98
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
That board is extremely frustrating. I signed-up - waited 3 weeks till FINALLY got the green light from them saying I had been approved. Went to login - still says my acct has not been approved! Emailed a few times but gave up as its almost like my requests fall on deaf ears.
You are not alone Glenn... hundreds upon hundreds have dealt with the same problems.

www.goaliecrease.net great for Goalies and great ownership!

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:52 AM
  #99
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Just waiting for that phone call now on the MRI results.................

FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 11:59 AM
  #100
FreshNsoClean
Skater turned Goalie
 
FreshNsoClean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Tibial Plateau Fracture & Contusion. I think in English that means a fractured knee. I'm out 4-12 weeks guys. Very frustrated but they want me off the leg asap, so they set me up to pickup some crutches today.

Funny thing is they called when I was on a Skype session with Hugo ordering my new set of Passau Axiom pads. He says "Lets add another 1 inch to the knee padding" lol. When the pads show, will be about perfect time for me to get back on the ice! I will be back in 4 weeks an overcome this.

"I'LL BE BACK!"


Last edited by FreshNsoClean: 10-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.
FreshNsoClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.