HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lockout discussion thread 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
What would happen to previously traded 2013 picks?
Good question. Push back all draft picks : 2013 picks become 2014 picks and 2014 picks become 2015 picks ect.

Habs would do a killing with what would be the equivalent of 4 first round picks!

Old
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
I'm ready.
Count me in too.
Hockey > no hockey

Old
10-30-2012, 01:27 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Good question. Push back all draft picks : 2013 picks become 2014 picks and 2014 picks become 2015 picks ect.

Habs would do a killing with what would be the equivalent of 4 first round picks!
I still don't want the Leafs to get those 3 freaking balls to draft Nathan or Jones. That'd be disastrous.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

guess i'll watch NBA tonight

Old
10-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
I still don't want the Leafs to get those 3 freaking balls to draft Nathan or Jones. That'd be disastrous.
You better get used to it, Toronto shiuld be in the top 10 at the darft and there are players of MacKinnon's calibre up to #10. a guy like Drouin is outproducing him on his own team. Jones will probably go #1.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Hullois

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...679/story.html

I'm with this guy.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I agree with everything in that article, but I wonder how legal such action would be.

Legally speaking, are the teams considered separate entities? Could they just up and leave joining a new league? How much would it cost to leave? (I assume that the NHL would have a clause regarding such an issue, if it should arise).

One thing that would suck would be losing all the logos, heritage, etc. if they're NHL owned.

Whatever happens, I think Hickey's got a good model and I would be all for it.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
He is dreaming in 3d.

Would be fun but legally it would be such a long process... We would most likely end up losing the name and logos lol how would you cheer for the Montreal Montrealers? Hehe

Old
10-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Some interesting ideas, some misconceptions, a ton of problems. An interesting article, but not the way I would want things to go. I have no issue with the 10 year $60 million dollar salary cap, but the players will not agree to it. I have no problem with contraction of some teams, but that will not automatically make the remaining teams capable of fielding competitive teams in a $60 million cap playing field where you will still have teams with money and others without. Hickey fails to account for the fact that far more than 5 teams are struggling financially. He also fails to account for the weakening of the market in creating this new league, devaluing the teams as they are currently owned, and whatever legal liability might be involved in trying to take team logos and names away from the NHL as an entity.

It would be far harder to do all of that AND to get the players on board with it than it will be to simply get a new CBA with the existing league. Does Hickey think the players want contraction of 5 teams costing about 100 jobs? Does he think the players want a hard 10 year cap where there is no chance for their overall salaries to increase? How does Hickey envision the split of HRR to be? How many NHL players will join this new league, and how many will go join other leagues or even stay in the NHL--an NHL that might even remain the same size if other investors can be found to replace whichever teams do leave?

Wow, one would think you would have to be able to do more than simply toss out a bunch of silly statements if you are writing an article for a respected newspaper about a serious topic.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
He is dreaming in 3d.

Would be fun but legally it would be such a long process... We would most likely end up losing the name and logos lol how would you cheer for the Montreal Montrealers? Hehe
No we wouldn't. Trademarks are owned by their respective teams. The Jets trademark for instance was given to the Thrashers from the Coyotes. If the Nordiques come back into the league it'll depend on the Avalanche's willingness to yield the trademark and so on... The only time when a trademark becomes owned by the league is when a team is dissolved then the league buys it from them by contract I think.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
DAChampion

People who support contraction are failing to project.

You know what happens if you remove the 4 weakest teams in the league?

You end up with the teams currently 23-26 becoming the 4 weakest teams in a 26-team league. Yes, those teams would be and are better able to meet current salary cap considerations. However, average revenue per team would rise since you're removing the 4 weakest teams, and thus the salary cap would necessarily rise as well, we'd be right back to square one.

As an example, let's say the cap now is at 60 million due to fixed player revenue, and you remove the 4 weakest teams who each make an average of one half the average revenue. That means the cap would then rise to approximately 64.3 million, just because average revenue per team have risen.

Contraction is a complete non-starter to fixing the league's problem.

Last edited by DAChampion: 10-31-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
People who support contraction are failing to project.

You know what happens if you remove the 4 weakest teams in the league?

You end up with the teams currently 23-26 becoming the 4 weakest teams in a 26-team league. Yes, those teams would be and are better able to meet current salary cap considerations. However, average revenue per team would rise since you're removing the 4 weakest teams, and thus the salary cap would necessarily rise as well, we'd be right back to square one.

As an example, let's say the cap now is at 60 million due to fixed player revenue, and you remove the 4 weakest teams who each make an average of one half the average revenue. That means the cap would then rise to approximately 64.3 million, just because average revenue per team have risen.

Contraction is a complete non-starter to fixing the league's problem.
While I agree with this post, you missed part of the point of what Hickey proposed: the cap would be $60 million for the next 10 years. He wants it to be the same no matter what happens to league revenue or if there is contraction or expansion. His solution included a simple static amount on the cap. So, contraction would NOT increase the cap in his system. That is what you missed.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Cole fed up with being at mercy of owners, considers retiring

Please God no.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...7_accueil_POS1

Old
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

I know he is just talking just to talk. He still can make some money before actually stopping his career.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I too hope he's kidding.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Madevilz

ofc he's kidding
like he's going to retire with 8millions left to his contract even if he loses this season. lol

Old
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
sheed36

Damn.. Why couldn't this have been Gomez who said that instead of Cole..

Old
11-01-2012, 01:13 PM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

relax guys, there is no way he will walk away from 8 million(assuming the whole season is lost)

Old
11-01-2012, 01:14 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

I was starting to get used to Habs players being the few keeping their mouths shut.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
11-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Well, I guess that's that...

Old
11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Habbadasher

I'm tired of working at the whim of my boss. He makes me work many weekends, evenings, doesn't pay me enough . . . I think I'll retire.
Damn, I have $10 in my bank account, I guess I have to keep working.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Belso

Aren't all employees somewhat at the mercy of their bosses? Sure the League sure needs someone other then Bettman to cause these problems at the end of every expired CBA. And sure the owners are asking for a big reduction in revenue sharing. But the players complaining all the time will go from millionaires to millionaires. We aren't talking about changes that will ruin any hockey players. They just won't be as rich.

So if Cole wants to quit hockey at 33 just because he would make less money (for example 3 million a season instead of 4), then I guess quit hockey. I wish I made 100K a year to do something I enjoy let alone 3-4M.

There seems to be a bigger problem here other then the amount the owners what to offer the players. Like why are there still teams in Columbus and Phoenix if it's just not working? These owners want to spend less on salary. Montreal, Toronto, NY, etc. are tired or revenue sharing and want to keep their profits instead of supporting teams in cities that aren't sustainable. So I can see the players argue that they will not want a deduction on their salary unless the owners move their teams to more solid hockey markets. But no one on the NHLPA is arguing this. Everyone is stuck on this 50/50.

I think Cole is a great guy and I can understand some frustrations. But to quit hockey over this at 33 is not really logical if you ask me. No one is being forced to work in asbestos mines. There other reasons such as safety, moral issues, etc for arguing against an agreement on a CBA than revenues which I would understand. But salary? That's business.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Maxpac

He's just pissed off and for now doesn't believe one bit that the owners want to negociate. Those who believe that he will actually retire once this si over are tools...

Old
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
honestly, it's pretty annoying for players to be threatening to retire or stay in KHL at the end of the lockout... I understand it's probably a question of principle for some of them, but this type of attitude is sickening considering that both parties are basically fighting about how super rich they should be

Good riddance to any players who lives up to the threat, no matter how good they are.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
This is just Cole's way to try and get the process moving in the right direction, nothing to see here.

Closed Thread