HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
flyers28giroux

vCash: 500
Any chance Jason Pominville makes the team?

I wouldn't mind seeing him on our bottom six as a defensive forward, who brings a good two way game and some leadership since he's the captain in Buffalo.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
Any chance Jason Pominville makes the team?

I wouldn't mind seeing him on our bottom six as a defensive forward, who brings a good two way game and some leadership since he's the captain in Buffalo.
Nothing against Pominville, but with guys like Backes, Brown, Kesler, Callahan, and potentially Oshie already on the team do you really need him?

Old
10-25-2012, 02:34 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Nothing against Pominville, but with guys like Backes, Brown, Kesler, Callahan, and potentially Oshie already on the team do you really need him?
That's a good point, I'm looking at it from the prespective that we're not going to be like Canada and Russia who can rely on creativity and skill to help us win games, instead we're going to need forwards who are willing to crash the net and be willing to get back and play defense. So that's why I asked about Pominville.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
86Habs

Quote:
That's a good point, I'm looking at it from the prespective that we're not going to be like Canada and Russia who can rely on creativity and skill to help us win games, instead we're going to need forwards who are willing to crash the net and be willing to get back and play defense. So that's why I asked about Pominville.
Yeah, fair enough. I guess knowing Brian Burke's philosophy in constructing these teams, their preferred style of play, and given the assets he has, Pominville is certainly a reasonable and viable option. Looking at the 2010 roster, Drury's spot is open, so Pominville would make sense, or otherwise he'd be a pretty good option for the 13th forward as someone who can do a lot of things well, but nothing spectacularly (kind of like your version of Patrick Sharp).

Parise - Stastny - Kessel
Ryan - Kesler - Kane
Brown - Pavelski - Callahan
Pacioretty - Backes - Oshie
Pominville

EDIT: That's actually very minimal turnover from the 2010 - only Langenbrunner, Malone and Drury (replaced by Oshie, Pacioretty, and Drury).

Old
10-29-2012, 10:27 PM
PhillyBluesFan

The more I think about it, it would be asinine not to have these 2 lines

Parise-Kesler-Ryan
Brown-Backes-Callahan

They would be the 2 most feared lines in Sochi and immediately become the focal point of every opposing coaches gameplan. That said if Bylsma is going to be coach we probable don't have much of a chance anyway.

Last edited by PhillyBluesFan: 10-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 01:14 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Pomville is not the same kind of player as those guys. Pominville should be a lock to make the team, he brings much more to the table than a guy like Pavelski.

Old
10-30-2012, 01:35 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Pominville put up 73 points last season, better than everyone except for Kessel who finished with 82 points. Parise and Kane came in at 3 and 4 in scoring by Americans with 69 and 66 points.

Pominville pending a big drop off should most defiantly be playing for Team USA.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
he brings much more to the table than a guy like Pavelski.
This part is a matter of opinion that I disagree strongly with.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:18 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
This part is a matter of opinion that I disagree strongly with.
Pavelski is what he is, a 4th or 5th best player on a solid playoff team who isn't particularly good at anything but solid all around. That kind of player was the best we could do in 2010, the talent pool is greater now, we can do better.

Last edited by PhillyBluesFan: 10-30-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Exit Dose

I think Pavs is going to be a hell of a lot more valuable on the big sheet than he was in Vancouver. If it was on regulation ice, I'd have lingering concerns about size amongst the forward group; something I felt was our biggest handicap in 2010.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

what? pominiville is not that type of player. he is a soft skilled player that needs to play in scoring line to be effective.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:44 PM
flyers28giroux

If it was my pick, I would have Joe Pavelski on the team.

He's on those forwards you can put in any situation and he mostly thrives, whether it be on the power play, penalty kill, even strength, etc...

He's also a forward that is smart offensively but is also responsible defensively and that's something were going to need especially when we play against Russia, Slovakia, and possibly Canada.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

bottom 6

Brown - Kesler - Callahan

So much grit...

Old
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
what? pominiville is not that type of player. he is a soft skilled player that needs to play in scoring line to be effective.
Well I understand that Pominville needs to be on a scoring line, and he is not like Backes, Brown, or Callahan who is going to hit any player he sees or block 10 to 15 shots just to win the game but Pominville is a good two way forward and a leader, one who I think at least deserves some consideration for this team.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:01 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
bottom 6

Brown - Kesler - Callahan

So much grit...
Noooo Kesler should be paired with Parise and Ryan on one of the top 2 lines. Backes must be paired with Brown and Callahan and thats probable your third line.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
I'd probably do something like so if the Olympics started tomorrow.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Pacioretty - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Backes - Callahan
Ryan - Pavelski - Oshie

Pominville, Okposo, Stepan, Kreider I think all deserve honorable mentions and one of them might be a spare player.

I was trying to go for chemistry and the top 3 lines LW-C pairing I feel compliment eachother very well.

Suter - Yandle
JJ - EJ
McDonaugh - Bogosian

Shattenkirk, Byfuglien, Carlson I think all have reasonable shots to unseat someone, fill in for injury, etc.

Quick
Miller
Whomever

Goalies are simple, although I wonder if by the Olympics Miller might have a better shot at beating Quick for the starter's role.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:28 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Pavelski is what he is, a 4th or 5th best player on a solid playoff team who isn't particularly good at anything but solid all around.That kind of player was the best we could do in 2010, the talent pool is greater now, we can do better.
I'd love to see an attempted explanation on this one.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 11-01-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM
espo*

I'd be most interested to hear this one myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post

Old
11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
That kind of player was the best we could do in 2010, the talent pool is greater now, we can do better.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
I'd be most interested to hear this one myself.
I agree and thought the same thing when I read PBF's post. On the backend, yes, you can do better than 2010. Up front, not so much.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I agree and thought the same thing when I read PBF's post. On the backend, yes, you can do better than 2010. Up front, not so much.
I have a few problems with his posts on Pavelski: 1) He underestimates Joe's talent; 2) He overestimates the quantity and/or quality of his competitors for center; and 3) He acts as if a team with Pavelski doesn't stand a chance to compete for Gold.

I'd love to have a roster full of superstars to choose from up front a la Canada but it's not a necessity to win. Pavelski is one of our most versatile players, plays both the PP and PK, is one of our best face-off men, and can fit on any line. I hope some of our young centers take some huge leaps in development by 2014 because the competition doesn't hurt but to act as if Pavelski is some sort of outlier on an Olympic squad is extremely misguided.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 11-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 10:13 PM
espo*

Wonderfully well stated by Bonney as always.

I agree, unless their young talent coming up makes a statement that can't be denied.........expect to see Mr. Pavelski there.

Too good a player for him not be an automatic at this point.

And I highly doubt that changes between here and 2014.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
I have a few problems with his posts on Pavelski: 1) He underestimates Joe's talent; 2) He overestimates the quantity and/or quality of his competitors for center; and 3) He acts as if a team with Pavelski doesn't stand a chance to compete for Gold.

I'd love to have a roster full of superstars to choose from up front a la Canada but it's not a necessity to win. Pavelski is one of our most versatile players, plays both the PP and PK, is one of our best face-off men, and can fit on any line. I hope some of our young centers take some huge leaps in development by 2014 because the competition doesn't hurt but to act as if Pavelski is some sort of outlier on an Olympic squad is extremely misguided.
I agree. He was a huge asset to your team in 2010 and would be again in 2014.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Xokkeu

Joe Pavelski is an ELITE defensive forward who chips in on offense. The chance he doesn't make the team is the chance that Galchenyuk wins a Selke next season.

That said, our forward group is still better.

From last go around we lost Drury and Langenbrunner but gained more mature versions of Kyle Okposo and most importantly Max Pacioretty.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:33 PM
espo*

Really?

Okposo?

Just what has he contributed to your cause to this point?

Potential yes........results, not there yet imo.

The Pac Man has probably stated a better case for being on your team then Okposo has so far to this date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Joe Pavelski is an ELITE defensive forward who chips in on offense. The chance he doesn't make the team is the chance that Galchenyuk wins a Selke next season.

That said, our forward group is still better.

From last go around we lost Drury and Langenbrunner but gained more mature versions of Kyle Okposo and most importantly Max Pacioretty.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Just what has he contributed to your cause to this point?

He last played for the US at the World Championship's in 2010 and 2009.

Closed Thread