HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 03:32 PM
sabresfan129103

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
I don't know why anyone is hating?

Same reaction when Disney bought Marvel. OH NOES THE MOVIES AND COMICS WILL BE WATERED DOWN?

Are you going to be sad that you can longer watch such cinematic accomplishments like The Phantom Menace and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

GOOD RIDDANCE TO LUCAS

Disney owns it. Relax you psychos. How many Donald Ducks and Mickey Mouses have you seen in the Marvel movies in the past few years?
Holy crap I forgot about Indiana Jones. Disney could breath new life back into that too.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Reuters Top NewsVerified
‏@Reuters
Star Wars episodes eight and nine will follow, Disney says in press release. Long-term plan is feature film every two-three years.

10-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Same reaction when Disney bought Marvel. OH NOES THE MOVIES AND COMICS WILL BE WATERED DOWN?
Nothing changed at all. Except Marvel had financial backing for ANYTHING.

Are you going to be sad that you can longer watch such cinematic accomplishments like The Phantom Menace and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
GOOD RIDDANCE TO LUCAS

Disney owns it. Relax you psychos. How many Donald Ducks and Mickey Mouses have you seen in the Marvel movies in the past few years?
I for one am extremely excited.
Speaking for myself, it's more that I don't like the idea of "7". Like I said, if it's a whole new story line/spin off, that would be ok, but with the 7, it sounds like some sort of extension of the story from the first 6...

Old
10-30-2012, 03:35 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Speaking for myself, it's more that I don't like the idea of "7". Like I said, if it's a whole new story line, that would be ok, but with the 7, it sounds like some sort of extension of the story from the first 6...
Carries on the defeat of the Empire and establishment of the New Republic I imagine.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nothing changed at all. Except Marvel had financial backing for ANYTHING.

GOOD RIDDANCE TO LUCAS

I for one am extremely excited.
Wasn't The Avengers the first one they were in on?

As much as people like to say it was great movie, it was fairly boring.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Speaking for myself, it's more that I don't like the idea of "7". Like I said, if it's a whole new story line, that would be ok, but with the 7, it sounds like some sort of extension of the story from the first 6...
Exactly, there's nothing left to tell. They need to create a separate storyline with new characters. I don't really have high hopes though, these movies will make a **** load of money regardless of quality.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

RIP Star Wars

Anything Disney buys gets destroyed

Old
10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Movie is going to be so bad.

No violence allowed.
The Pirates movies are much more graffic with violence and adult themes than any Star Wars film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
RIP Star Wars

Anything Disney buys gets destroyed
Except Marvel. And Pixar. And most of the things Disney actually buys.

Say, didn't most of you complain that Lucas already ruined Star Wars and ***** your childhood?

Old
10-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Ceremony
Why Not Us?

vCash: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Judging by the press release from Disney, looks like they also have control over LucasArts as well. Battlefront 3 finally?
I am fully ok with it if SWBFIII appears.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Well, I can't imagine it being worse than Episode I - The Phantom Menace. I think what ruined the new Star Wars films for me was the CGI, I just loved the look of the old Star Wars..the crappy CGI in the newer ones just made it seem like a different world.

Old
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
What story are they gonna use for this, the saga is done, 1-6 were about Vader

Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

Marvel was bought by Disney 3 years ago.
3 years ago.

Everything past Iron Man 2 is "Disneyfied"

So many chicken littles everywhere.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Wait, people are freaking out about this?

Getting creative control out of Lucas' clutches isn't a bad thing at all. Did you see the last three movies?

Fresh blood and fresh eyes will be a good thing. Disney owns a ton of entertainment ventures including ABC TV, Pixar and Marvel that shows that simply being under the big Disney corporate umbrella doesn't mean its "Disney."

This is GREAT news.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
SB164

Red Letter Media's Star Wars VII video review might just make this entire new trilogy worth it.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Wait, people are freaking out about this?

Getting creative control out of Lucas' clutches isn't a bad thing at all. Did you see the last three movies?

Fresh blood and fresh eyes will be a good thing. Disney owns a ton of entertainment ventures including ABC TV, Pixar and Marvel that shows that simply being under the big Disney corporate umbrella doesn't mean its "Disney."
No kidding.
Like Lucas at the helm was making Jones and SW any better.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

But Darth Vader brought peace to the galaxy just like the prophecy said...

Old
10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Episode 3.5 would be more interesting probably. Unless you're going to bring back Ford, ect and show their progression. It will probably be CGI garbage with all new faces.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Episode 3.5 would be more interesting probably. Unless you're going to bring back Ford, ect and show their progression. It will probably be CGI garbage with all new faces.
Starring Zac Efron and Selena Gomez

Old
10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Amazing Larry
WE PLAYOFFS NOW

vCash: 869
Almost everyone from the original trilogy is still alive, right down to the dudes in costume.
Cameos, cameos everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I am fully ok with it if SWBFIII appears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Well, I can't imagine it being worse than Episode I - The Phantom Menace. I think what ruined the new Star Wars films for me was the CGI, I just loved the look of the old Star Wars..the crappy CGI in the newer ones just made it seem like a different world.
Agreed.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:50 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
And Disney will ruin yet another movie franchise.

Tune in next week for Lion King 25 "Simba loses his Memory and Bodily Functions".
Dude, George Lucas killed his own franchise long before this. Honestly, had Lucas not had two people constantly telling him his ideas blew (Spielberg and Gary Kurtz) during the initial writing sessions on Star Wars, the movies we know and love would have been worse than the prequel trilogy. IIRC, C-3PO was initially supposed to be a Watto-type interstellar parts dealer/****** bag, and Jar-Jar totally would have showed up in Episode IV. "The Adventure of Luke Starkiller: Episode 1, The Star Wars" would have been an absolutely god-awful mess.

Most of the stuff we remember from these movies is not because of George Lucas. Solo got frozen in carbonite because they weren't sure if Harrison Ford would come back for the third film, the whole "I know: line was Ford's addition, forever cementing Solo's rep as a stoic bamf. George Lucas reworked his film so Greedo would shoot first... Lucas didn't even know who Darth Vader was until he had gotten a good chunk into the second film. Vader was initially just a general for the Empire. Heck, the entire art style and feel of those movies was created by Ralph McQuarrie. Cloud City, Hoth, Vader's breathing mask, Bobba Fett's armor, the Storm Troopers, these were all created by McQuarrie, not Lucas. George Lucas is a hack that got lucky because his friends and production crew wouldn't let him suck his way into nothingness.

Disney can't do any worse than George Lucas.

Old
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Pretty psyched about the possibilities, actually.

Hopefully Episode 7 tells the story of Leia's twins, and gives us a cameo of the old cast in their golden years. Lots of stories to tell, the post-Episode 6 novels are pretty damn good reads.

Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

I want me some THRAWN!

But I am guessing they will use The Legacy of the Force storyline with Jacen and them.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
What could they possibly make a 7th movie about? How the rebels took over Coruscant and the formation of the New Republic? Honestly, I think a movie set in the Old Republic setting would be cool. Just get new writers and get a respectable director to make it. Make it more adult oriented and don't let George Lucas have any say.
Isn't there already a storyline for episodes 7-9 in place? Book series/graphic novels (I have one and it was good)? IIRC, it involved Luke starting a new Jedi order, Han and Leia's kids (twins with Jedi potential) and remnants of the Empire causing havoc.

Edit: Supermullet beat me to it.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
The press release from the official Walt Disney website:

"The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion..."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disn...-lucasfilm-ltd

Thoughts?
Lucas is officially retiring

Old
10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Isn't there already a storyline for episodes 7-9 in place? Book series/graphic novels (I have one and it was good)? IIRC, it involved Luke starting a new Jedi order, Han and Leia's kids (twins with Jedi potential) and remnants of the Empire causing havoc.
yep if you have been fallowing the canon you will see that there is more stories out there

Closed Thread