HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Libbs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Libbs
You are correct he has been getting top 4 minutes,skating and footwork have improved but a work in progress,as u probably read I thought in the beginning he should be in B but he has played very well
Expect he and HoSang to play at Xmas time with -17 tourney
I know what you said, lol. It was the other poster who was confused.

He's waht? 6"6'? I mean I'd say 95% of the players making the jump from MM to OHL need to work on their foot speed.

I haven't seen many games but its tough to judge by watching on TV. Considering the revolving door of Bateman/Devlin/Bowen and Sanvido is a constant presence on the blue line, he must be progressing well.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I know what you said, lol. It was the other poster who was confused.

He's waht? 6"6'? I mean I'd say 95% of the players making the jump from MM to OHL need to work on their foot speed.

I haven't seen many games but its tough to judge by watching on TV. Considering the revolving door of Bateman/Devlin/Bowen and Sanvido is a constant presence on the blue line, he must be progressing well.
Yes he is,on a another note Devlin has played well the last couple of games including a 3 pt night at Guelph last friday
Looks like the 6th spot is between Bateman,McNaughton and Bowen

Old
10-30-2012, 04:12 PM
hockeylegend11

Big game Thurs at home against the Knights,as the Spits return from a 5 game roadstand
Only 5 pts separates 8th place Windsor and 1st place Owen Sd
Knights are 5-1 on the road this season so far,while at home they are 3-3-0-2,Windsor on the other hand is 2-0-0-2 in their last 4 games at home
Proposed lineup changes for Windsor,Verbeek and Bowen in,Bateman and McNaughton out

Old
10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Gibbs18

How is Bowen looking in games? I know he is a shutdown D-man that throws the body around and fights. Wondering because I went to high school with him and havent heard much.

Looking at his stats hes only has 3GP this season.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
How is Bowen looking in games? I know he is a shutdown D-man that throws the body around and fights. Wondering because I went to high school with him and havent heard much.

Looking at his stats hes only has 3GP this season.
Unfortunately he is the 8th on Windsor,he did struggle in the exhibition season thus has had a hard time cracking the lineup
Yes he is tough,did play well in the 2nd game that he dressed recently,did not play in the 3rd game last weekend
Bowen is a good team player,works hard in practice,not sure if he is good enough to be in the 6 on D for this team
Lucky for him that 6th spot is till open as others have not stepped up enough to claim it,so he has a chance

Old
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Unfortunately he is the 8th on Windsor,he did struggle in the exhibition season thus has had a hard time cracking the lineup
Yes he is tough,did play well in the 2nd game that he dressed recently,did not play in the 3rd game last weekend
Bowen is a good team player,works hard in practice,not sure if he is good enough to be in the 6 on D for this team
Lucky for him that 6th spot is till open as others have not stepped up enough to claim it,so he has a chance
Alright thanks for the info man. Hopefully he can crack the lineup this season or maybe in future seasons. I see him as being a bottom pairing d-man because of the way he plays.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:11 PM
OHLTG

It's tough to tell whether Bowen has been given a fair shake or not. When he plays, he's doing well: defensively solid, physical, and the odd fight to spark the team. The thing is, he rarely plays, so you have to think something is showing up in practice?

As for Sanvido - he's as advertised. A physical defenceman who won't put up the points, but won't get beat easily, either. He's not going to look for fights, but he'll stick up for teammates if the need arises. Someone said before that he reminded that person of Mike Rathje - mobile, steady, a few points, a few PIM. I can see that. I'm kind of hoping for a few fights, just to see how he does, but if we get a nasty 6'8 240lb d-man out of it within a couple years, I'm fine with that (not many will want to go him, anyway).

Old
10-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
It's tough to tell whether Bowen has been given a fair shake or not. When he plays, he's doing well: defensively solid, physical, and the odd fight to spark the team. The thing is, he rarely plays, so you have to think something is showing up in practice?

As for Sanvido - he's as advertised. A physical defenceman who won't put up the points, but won't get beat easily, either. He's not going to look for fights, but he'll stick up for teammates if the need arises. Someone said before that he reminded that person of Mike Rathje - mobile, steady, a few points, a few PIM. I can see that. I'm kind of hoping for a few fights, just to see how he does, but if we get a nasty 6'8 240lb d-man out of it within a couple years, I'm fine with that (not many will want to go him, anyway).
He's not nasty, doubt he will ever be (it's not in his nature)....very nice kid with other tools.

Old
10-31-2012, 09:06 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
He's not nasty, doubt he will ever be (it's not in his nature)....very nice kid with other tools.
nasty along the boards, I meant. Not much of a mean streak, but won't back down from the physical play at all.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Big game Thurs at home against the Knights,as the Spits return from a 5 game roadstand
Only 5 pts separates 8th place Windsor and 1st place Owen Sd
Knights are 5-1 on the road this season so far,while at home they are 3-3-0-2,Windsor on the other hand is 2-0-0-2 in their last 4 games at home
Proposed lineup changes for Windsor,Verbeek and Bowen in,Bateman and McNaughton out
The game against London represents the quarter mark of the season which has gone by very quickly. Hopefully there's a better performance in Windsor after game 4 last year and not putting forth much of an effort in London. I think winning 2 out of 3 is imperative to get something going. Windsor hasn't won back to back games this year since Sept 22 and 27 meaning they went the whole month of October without winning back to back which is disappointing. Right now they are pretty much an average/below average team. Needs to change going into the 2nd quarter especially when you see teams like Kitchener and Plymouth playing much better, Owen Sound continuing their great play. Guelph struggled this past week but they will still be a handful for teams to play and London hasn't been that great but they will still be near or at the top of the midwest when everything is settled.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:02 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
The game against London represents the quarter mark of the season which has gone by very quickly. Hopefully there's a better performance in Windsor after game 4 last year and not putting forth much of an effort in London. I think winning 2 out of 3 is imperative to get something going. Windsor hasn't won back to back games this year since Sept 22 and 27 meaning they went the whole month of October without winning back to back which is disappointing. Right now they are pretty much an average/below average team. Needs to change going into the 2nd quarter especially when you see teams like Kitchener and Plymouth playing much better, Owen Sound continuing their great play. Guelph struggled this past week but they will still be a handful for teams to play and London hasn't been that great but they will still be near or at the top of the midwest when everything is settled.
Hopefully the Spits do remember how they played in London and correct it like they did against Guelph,as well as a much better effort at Owen Sd
I would not consider Windsor below average at this time,though average would be about right which describes how the West conference has been been for most of teams except Guelph and Owen Sd

Old
11-01-2012, 01:10 AM
pinkfloyd44

Quote:
Hopefully the Spits do remember how they played in London and correct it like they did against Guelph,as well as a much better effort at Owen Sd
I would not consider Windsor below average at this time,though average would be about right which describes how the West conference has been been for most of teams except Guelph and Owen Sd
I think personally the east has been more average overall up to this point, other than barrie, mississauga and oshawa who is leveling out and hitting the injury bug, no ones been great. A bad string of games can put you behind the 8 ball in the west. As mentioned guelph and owen sound are still 7-2-0-1 in their last ten. kitchener appears to have their act together getting a possible 11 out of 12 points in their last stretch of games. Plymouth is turning the corner and they always start taking off this time of year every year. Lomdon was off to a slow start but they havent been too bad in their last 10 and you can never count them out. Lastly, sarnia has been hot lately and went on abit of a run. It really forces a team to play with consistency when all these other teams are hitting their stride now. The intensity level has picked up and teams are familiar with their new systems now. I think at this point of the year your go to guys have to show up each game and the goalies have to be on their A game. Goaltending in the west is critical. Especially when the guy in the other end is most likely is better or at the same level. wins have to be strung together or you will start playing catch up with the teams that are starting to get in a groove. But thats why the O is such a great league to watch!

Old
11-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Spitsfan67*

tonight I think it might get a bit ugly, 7-4 Knights thats unless the spits come out with the kind of effort they put up against the storm then this game should be closer.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
SpItFiReZ

HF Article on Jack Billings:

He does not plan on moving to Windsor in the near future, however. He plans to continue on the college route despite being drafted by the Spitfires.

Im definitely looking more towards the college route, he says. I went up [to Green Bay], had a great time. Its a great club, great organization so right now Im all for the college route.

As for Windsor, he says its always there, but he never really considered the move. After all, while most children aged 15 to 18 spend all four years in one city, hes already lived in three.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
SpItFiReZ

Marchese scratched.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
RayzorIsDull

No Spits game on Cogeco due to technical difficulties.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
No Spits game on Cogeco due to technical difficulties.
That's good for you guys because there getting killed, might not say it on the scoreboard but as for in play it's pretty lopsided, shots 16-7 Knight and again Pav is standing on his head this game should be 3 or 4 to nothing. Devlin had at least 4 giveaways and two big ones in front of his own net. Bilcke lost his fight...anyone please tell me what Warren is waiting for, Christmas maybe? Well that would be far to long to wait this team needs help, way to incosistant and there needs to be a shake up, talking about benching Johnson has done absolutely nothing he's invisible should let him watch for a game or two maybe something will start clicking.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Jakey43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Marchese scratched.
Didn't he score the only 2 goals last game? Injured? Disciplined? Or traded?

Old
11-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Spitsfan67*

Tied 2-2 but again very lopsided shots are 33-15 Knights, Pav would have the highlight of the night on TSN if cogeco was working, score should be at least 5-2 PAV took away 2 or 3 goals that period, Beat Skater BY FAR tonight for the spits is Ho-Sang 2 beautiful passes for the goals, I'd say his best performance SO FAR to date. Only way they pull this out is if PAV stands on his head in the third.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
SpItFiReZ

Teams been brutal aside from pavelka. Ho sang has been amazing in 2nd but first had some soft plays.

Seiloff looks good too

Old
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey43 View Post
Didn't he score the only 2 goals last game? Injured? Disciplined? Or traded?
Fell awkwardly into the boards in practice or warm-up (can't remember, but it was mentioned) and being kept out as precaution (I assume it means he probably hit his head).

Old
11-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Teams been brutal aside from pavelka. Ho sang has been amazing in 2nd but first had some soft plays.

Seiloff looks good too
I wonder if the Domi charging hit pissed him off/fired him up.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM
SpItFiReZ

Ho Sang has been lights out.
Ebert excellent, bojo had a great 2nd and 3rd, Seiloff is our number 1 guy period.

Pavelka....tonight's MVP

Old
11-01-2012, 08:45 PM
mapleleaf979

Huge game for Josh Hosang. 3 points and +2 rating. If he brings this mentality every game he is going to be a big difference maker. The healthy scratch, in my opinion was an excellent move by the Spitfires and seemed to have maybe woke him up a bit.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Huge game for Josh Hosang. 3 points and +2 rating. If he brings this mentality every game he is going to be a big difference maker. The healthy scratch, in my opinion was an excellent move by the Spitfires and seemed to have maybe woke him up a bit.
Wasn't a healthy scratch - disciplinary. I was surprised the announcers at that game mentioned reason during the PBP.

Closed Thread