HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA Discussion III (Lockout Talk)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
  #251
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoshambeau View Post
Is there anything stopping the owners from using replacement players like MLB and NFL did?
How about replacement owners?

Therick67 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
  #252
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoshambeau View Post
Is there anything stopping the owners from using replacement players like MLB and NFL did?
Do you really want to watch scrubs play in NHL jerseys and allow the owners to still rake in dough? Just follow Providence this year.

I have a feeling this season is lost. I just don't see them getting it done. The owners offer was based on an 82 game season which I assume means their offer isn't even on the table anymore.

dredeye is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
  #253
Rhoshambeau
It's like 2007 again
 
Rhoshambeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 458
vCash: 500
Not arguing with any of those responses, just was wondering.

Rhoshambeau is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
  #254
bb74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Annecy
Country: France
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Knife is getting duller by the minute.... players are going to "get it" and realize that Fehr's bumbling about armageddon and resetting without a CAP is nonsense in the good ol' boys NHL.

bb74 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
  #255
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 28,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Knife is getting duller by the minute.... players are going to "get it" and realize that Fehr's bumbling about armageddon and resetting without a CAP is nonsense in the good ol' boys NHL.
most of the players I am pretty sure already get it

DKH is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:13 PM
  #256
CosmicSpoon
Registered User
 
CosmicSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Goodbye Season What did I do to deserve This

CosmicSpoon is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
  #257
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
  #258
Mr. Make-Believe
Moderator
Pass me another nail
 
Mr. Make-Believe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Erotic Fantasies
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.
Wouldn't touch it. Would MUCH rather watch junior hockey.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
  #259
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner
 
SpokedLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 6,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.
I wouldn't pay or watch replacement players I'd stick with the AHL.

SpokedLightning is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:38 PM
  #260
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 28,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.
There is no way in hell this would fly- its not even discussion worthy in hockey circles that could attempt this. You have AHL games stocked with NHL quality players at half capacity.

A replacement team at $5 could not get 500 people.

I would rather go to work than watch a replacement game.

to add- I'm still predicting this is done between November 12-15th...Quaider, yall wit me on dis?....and for the real you- you with me on this?

DKH is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
  #261
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
There is no way in hell this would fly- its not even discussion worthy in hockey circles that could attempt this. You have AHL games stocked with NHL quality players at half capacity.

A replacement team at $5 could not get 500 people.

I would rather go to work than watch a replacement game.

to add- I'm still predicting this is done between November 12-15th...Quaider, yall wit me on dis?....and for the real you- you with me on this?
I also think this is crazy talk, but that is why I asked, to see if anyone thought it wasn't.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
  #262
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.
Not a chance.

(just "no." was too short)

Kate08 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:46 PM
  #263
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 28,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I also think this is crazy talk, but that is why I asked, to see if anyone thought it wasn't.
I'd say the Cleveland Browns have a better chance of winning the SB this year than this every happening.

I joked to my bud you know who has 11 seats on Friday at the Providence game they would do this- I was nonstop busting his balls over this (good natured of course) and he said if they ever did this he would not only cancel (after what 30 years) but probably do a class action suit (yah, he's a lawyer) to get every dime back.

there you go....

We are approaching Winston Churchill's 'Fear does the work of reason' comment.

I'm Shawn Thornton and I have probably 2 years left and I am going to lose a million dollars by not playing....ummmmm.....no offense, but I want the best deal made, I could care less about Seth Jones and Nathan McKinnon entry level deals and UFA status age and all that crap....get me on the ice, Don. NOW!!!!!

DKH is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
  #264
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.
I'd just watch the WHL and completely ignore the scab players.

I'm assuming these aren't rhetorical questions.

Dogberry is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:55 PM
  #265
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,018
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.
I would, so long as the results matter the same as when the real players return.

I want to see this union break, if that what it takes then so be it.

That being said, if it was more than a few games, I would probably start getting pissed because no one out want to buy my tickets.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:19 PM
  #266
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 28,944
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would, so long as the results matter the same as when the real players return.

I want to see this union break, if that what it takes then so be it.

That being said, if it was more than a few games, I would probably start getting pissed because no one out want to buy my tickets.
if you are going to go, why not play and atleast get paid if you are going to be there- can you skate?

DKH is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
  #267
bb74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Annecy
Country: France
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
most of the players I am pretty sure already get it
Crazy then that they can't get their acts together and get a deal done. Bettman has Fehr cornered and Fehr at this point can't win. Wonder how much the Don and Steve show are going to screw the NHLPA for after burning up well over $1.5B in earnings... Guys are insane...

bb74 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:34 PM
  #268
CosmicSpoon
Registered User
 
CosmicSpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Why not call Vince McMahon to make a league

CosmicSpoon is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM
  #269
Montecristo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would, so long as the results matter the same as when the real players return.

I want to see this union break, if that what it takes then so be it.

That being said, if it was more than a few games, I would probably start getting pissed because no one out want to buy my tickets.

Do you think it is the players fault they get locked out every time the CBA expires? After the last lockout they and the owners agreed to a deal which installed a salary cap. Some would say that the players gave in on their stance and lost the battle with the owners for that deal. Now that this deal in which the players "lost" is over the owners would like to negotiate a new deal that makes the players lose again.

Yes, without the owners hockey players would not have the NHL. But without these players, the owners would not have any means to make money either. Their partnership should be equal. 50-50 split is a fair idea. But is it fair to roll back the salaries of the Players that these owners negotiated as little as 2 months ago? Moments after signing a contract being told that you won't be receiving as much as you thought and worked hard to be worth.

I hate that people think because players make millions that they should just be happy, shut up and play a game most play for free. These players should be looked at like any other labor force. If the CWA didn't exist communication workers wouldnt recieve half the benefits they do now. Without a PA, NHL players would be castrated by the owners. Remember when the owners first offered a 57-43% role reversal in the first proposal? That would be what players would be playing with at the most if owners had no pushback.

I hate the lockout, I know without a players union there wouldnt be a lockout because the owners could have there way with them. But if the owners were just a little less greedy and decided that they owe their franchises to the players who go out and risk their health and well being then there wouldn't be a lockout either. Maybe the owners should just shut up sit down and watch from their cushy press box as the players go out and make "slightly less" millions for them as they eat caviar and sip pinot

Montecristo is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
  #270
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would, so long as the results matter the same as when the real players return.

I want to see this union break, if that what it takes then so be it.

That being said, if it was more than a few games, I would probably start getting pissed because no one out want to buy my tickets.
So if they played a whole season with replacement players and the Bruins won the Stanley Cup that season you would find it legitimate?

More power to you, but I'd call it a joke.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
  #271
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 22,855
vCash: 500
I wonder if the owners would ever agree to something like 57% for the players with a hard cap, but without guaranteed contracts. Think of the NFL model.

I wonder if the players would prefer 50%, but with full guarantees.

Contract limits clearly complicates this hypothetical.

EverettMike is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
  #272
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Do you think it is the players fault they get locked out every time the CBA expires? After the last lockout they and the owners agreed to a deal which installed a salary cap. Some would say that the players gave in on their stance and lost the battle with the owners for that deal. Now that this deal in which the players "lost" is over the owners would like to negotiate a new deal that makes the players lose again.

Yes, without the owners hockey players would not have the NHL. But without these players, the owners would not have any means to make money either. Their partnership should be equal. 50-50 split is a fair idea. But is it fair to roll back the salaries of the Players that these owners negotiated as little as 2 months ago? Moments after signing a contract being told that you won't be receiving as much as you thought and worked hard to be worth.

I hate that people think because players make millions that they should just be happy, shut up and play a game most play for free. These players should be looked at like any other labor force. If the CWA didn't exist communication workers wouldnt recieve half the benefits they do now. Without a PA, NHL players would be castrated by the owners. Remember when the owners first offered a 57-43% role reversal in the first proposal? That would be what players would be playing with at the most if owners had no pushback.

I hate the lockout, I know without a players union there wouldnt be a lockout because the owners could have there way with them. But if the owners were just a little less greedy and decided that they owe their franchises to the players who go out and risk their health and well being then there wouldn't be a lockout either. Maybe the owners should just shut up sit down and watch from their cushy press box as the players go out and make "slightly less" millions for them as they eat caviar and sip pinot
This might be the most one sided post I've read on the subject in a while, yet it's cleverly disguised as being well thought out and it uses proper English.

I'm on to your reindeer games.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:34 PM
  #273
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 15,018
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
So if they played a whole season with replacement players and the Bruins won the Stanley Cup that season you would find it legitimate?

More power to you, but I'd call it a joke.
I highly doubt they could legally even instate replacement players, and if they did, It would not last more than a few games.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 09:46 PM
  #274
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
So if they played a whole season with replacement players and the Bruins won the Stanley Cup that season you would find it legitimate?

More power to you, but I'd call it a joke.
By the time playoffs begin most of the players will be playing. Right now the players are convinced that a better offer is on the way. I don't think there is, but then I thought the PA would act reasonably. Unless this better offer happens the players will soon figure out that a militant part of the PA has been leading them down the garden path.

Orrthebest is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 10:00 PM
  #275
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Replacement players isn't meant to offer the fans a product to watch. It's to break a union, to see how many guys would cross the picket line to earn a pay check.


And for those that are saying they'd stick to the AHL, where do you think the players would come from?

patty59 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.