2012 CBA Discussion III (Lockout Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Therick67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoshambeau View Post
Is there anything stopping the owners from using replacement players like MLB and NFL did?
How about replacement owners?

Old
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoshambeau View Post
Is there anything stopping the owners from using replacement players like MLB and NFL did?
Do you really want to watch scrubs play in NHL jerseys and allow the owners to still rake in dough? Just follow Providence this year.

I have a feeling this season is lost. I just don't see them getting it done. The owners offer was based on an 82 game season which I assume means their offer isn't even on the table anymore.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Rhoshambeau
It's like 2007 again

Not arguing with any of those responses, just was wondering.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:14 PM
bb74

Knife is getting duller by the minute.... players are going to "get it" and realize that Fehr's bumbling about armageddon and resetting without a CAP is nonsense in the good ol' boys NHL.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:09 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Knife is getting duller by the minute.... players are going to "get it" and realize that Fehr's bumbling about armageddon and resetting without a CAP is nonsense in the good ol' boys NHL.
most of the players I am pretty sure already get it

Old
10-30-2012, 05:13 PM
CosmicSpoon

Goodbye Season What did I do to deserve This

Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
EverettMike

Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Would you pay the same price?

How many would watch on TV?

I'd be completely out, even on TV.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people here would pay to go to games with replacement players?

Wouldn't touch it. Would MUCH rather watch junior hockey.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

Quote:

I wouldn't pay or watch replacement players I'd stick with the AHL.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:38 PM
DKH

Quote:

There is no way in hell this would fly- its not even discussion worthy in hockey circles that could attempt this. You have AHL games stocked with NHL quality players at half capacity.

A replacement team at $5 could not get 500 people.

I would rather go to work than watch a replacement game.

to add- I'm still predicting this is done between November 12-15th...Quaider, yall wit me on dis?....and for the real you- you with me on this?

Old
10-30-2012, 06:39 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
There is no way in hell this would fly- its not even discussion worthy in hockey circles that could attempt this. You have AHL games stocked with NHL quality players at half capacity.

A replacement team at $5 could not get 500 people.

I would rather go to work than watch a replacement game.

to add- I'm still predicting this is done between November 12-15th...Quaider, yall wit me on dis?....and for the real you- you with me on this?
I also think this is crazy talk, but that is why I asked, to see if anyone thought it wasn't.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Not a chance.

(just "no." was too short)

Old
10-30-2012, 06:46 PM
DKH

Quote:
I also think this is crazy talk, but that is why I asked, to see if anyone thought it wasn't.
I'd say the Cleveland Browns have a better chance of winning the SB this year than this every happening.

I joked to my bud you know who has 11 seats on Friday at the Providence game they would do this- I was nonstop busting his balls over this (good natured of course) and he said if they ever did this he would not only cancel (after what 30 years) but probably do a class action suit (yah, he's a lawyer) to get every dime back.

there you go....

We are approaching Winston Churchill's 'Fear does the work of reason' comment.

I'm Shawn Thornton and I have probably 2 years left and I am going to lose a million dollars by not playing....ummmmm.....no offense, but I want the best deal made, I could care less about Seth Jones and Nathan McKinnon entry level deals and UFA status age and all that crap....get me on the ice, Don. NOW!!!!!

Old
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:

I'd just watch the WHL and completely ignore the scab players.

I'm assuming these aren't rhetorical questions.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

I would, so long as the results matter the same as when the real players return.

I want to see this union break, if that what it takes then so be it.

That being said, if it was more than a few games, I would probably start getting pissed because no one out want to buy my tickets.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:19 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would, so long as the results matter the same as when the real players return.

That being said, if it was more than a few games, I would probably start getting pissed because no one out want to buy my tickets.
if you are going to go, why not play and atleast get paid if you are going to be there- can you skate?

Old
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
bb74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
most of the players I am pretty sure already get it
Crazy then that they can't get their acts together and get a deal done. Bettman has Fehr cornered and Fehr at this point can't win. Wonder how much the Don and Steve show are going to screw the NHLPA for after burning up well over $1.5B in earnings... Guys are insane...

Old
10-30-2012, 07:34 PM
CosmicSpoon

Why not call Vince McMahon to make a league

Old
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Montecristo

Quote:

Do you think it is the players fault they get locked out every time the CBA expires? After the last lockout they and the owners agreed to a deal which installed a salary cap. Some would say that the players gave in on their stance and lost the battle with the owners for that deal. Now that this deal in which the players "lost" is over the owners would like to negotiate a new deal that makes the players lose again.

Yes, without the owners hockey players would not have the NHL. But without these players, the owners would not have any means to make money either. Their partnership should be equal. 50-50 split is a fair idea. But is it fair to roll back the salaries of the Players that these owners negotiated as little as 2 months ago? Moments after signing a contract being told that you won't be receiving as much as you thought and worked hard to be worth.

I hate that people think because players make millions that they should just be happy, shut up and play a game most play for free. These players should be looked at like any other labor force. If the CWA didn't exist communication workers wouldnt recieve half the benefits they do now. Without a PA, NHL players would be castrated by the owners. Remember when the owners first offered a 57-43% role reversal in the first proposal? That would be what players would be playing with at the most if owners had no pushback.

I hate the lockout, I know without a players union there wouldnt be a lockout because the owners could have there way with them. But if the owners were just a little less greedy and decided that they owe their franchises to the players who go out and risk their health and well being then there wouldn't be a lockout either. Maybe the owners should just shut up sit down and watch from their cushy press box as the players go out and make "slightly less" millions for them as they eat caviar and sip pinot

Old
10-30-2012, 07:44 PM
EverettMike

Quote:

So if they played a whole season with replacement players and the Bruins won the Stanley Cup that season you would find it legitimate?

More power to you, but I'd call it a joke.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
EverettMike

I wonder if the owners would ever agree to something like 57% for the players with a hard cap, but without guaranteed contracts. Think of the NFL model.

I wonder if the players would prefer 50%, but with full guarantees.

Contract limits clearly complicates this hypothetical.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Do you think it is the players fault they get locked out every time the CBA expires? After the last lockout they and the owners agreed to a deal which installed a salary cap. Some would say that the players gave in on their stance and lost the battle with the owners for that deal. Now that this deal in which the players "lost" is over the owners would like to negotiate a new deal that makes the players lose again.

Yes, without the owners hockey players would not have the NHL. But without these players, the owners would not have any means to make money either. Their partnership should be equal. 50-50 split is a fair idea. But is it fair to roll back the salaries of the Players that these owners negotiated as little as 2 months ago? Moments after signing a contract being told that you won't be receiving as much as you thought and worked hard to be worth.

I hate that people think because players make millions that they should just be happy, shut up and play a game most play for free. These players should be looked at like any other labor force. If the CWA didn't exist communication workers wouldnt recieve half the benefits they do now. Without a PA, NHL players would be castrated by the owners. Remember when the owners first offered a 57-43% role reversal in the first proposal? That would be what players would be playing with at the most if owners had no pushback.

I hate the lockout, I know without a players union there wouldnt be a lockout because the owners could have there way with them. But if the owners were just a little less greedy and decided that they owe their franchises to the players who go out and risk their health and well being then there wouldn't be a lockout either. Maybe the owners should just shut up sit down and watch from their cushy press box as the players go out and make "slightly less" millions for them as they eat caviar and sip pinot
This might be the most one sided post I've read on the subject in a while, yet it's cleverly disguised as being well thought out and it uses proper English.

I'm on to your reindeer games.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
So if they played a whole season with replacement players and the Bruins won the Stanley Cup that season you would find it legitimate?

I highly doubt they could legally even instate replacement players, and if they did, It would not last more than a few games.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Orrthebest

Quote:

By the time playoffs begin most of the players will be playing. Right now the players are convinced that a better offer is on the way. I don't think there is, but then I thought the PA would act reasonably. Unless this better offer happens the players will soon figure out that a militant part of the PA has been leading them down the garden path.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:00 PM
patty59

Replacement players isn't meant to offer the fans a product to watch. It's to break a union, to see how many guys would cross the picket line to earn a pay check.

And for those that are saying they'd stick to the AHL, where do you think the players would come from?

Closed Thread