HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Disney purchases Lucasfilm - Star Wars Episode VII to be released in 2015

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
thread is literally right below this one

Old
10-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
EU isn't really canon. they basically have to approve stuff, but at any point, Lucas can say "nope, this didn't happen" and a whole book can basically be wiped out. If they're killing a major character, they have to get approval, and that stuff is checked off, but other than that, it's more or less hammered out by lower level people at LucasArts and written by contract writers.

As for the deal and potential movies, I'm up in the air about it. I'm excited if they could get a decent TV show run, as that was a plan that couldn't get off the ground because of money demands. They were going to do something BSG-esque, and I think that is more a route that they should go. If not, I will watch Star Wars 7, I just hope they don't use new actors playing the characters from the original. Just make it 20-30 years down the road, the war has still gone on, whatever. Maybe the Emperor returns, who knows.

Just nothing too hokey. Having seen the last Indiana Jones Movie and the 3 prequels, I'm not sure how this could be any more than a lateral move at worst, and a positive upgrade at best. Worst case scenario, 2 or 3 more movies come out, they're comparably bad, and that's it.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
whaaat! I looked and didn't see it.

I'm an idiot, purge this thread like a jedi.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Chileiceman

Maybe they'll base it on the Thrawn trilogy. If so that'd be awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy

Old
10-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I don't see it as a bad thing. I don't think that Lucas was making another Star Wars movie so at least we'll get one and in terms of quality it shouldn't be any worst than the 2nd-4th Pirates of the Carribean movies (the 1st was actually excellent).

A Star Wars movie is better than no Star Wars movie, I'm not hardcore into it though so I'm not one of those people who feels it'd be tainted.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Jesus Teemu

I would like to see a movie about the Sith's re-emergence with details about Palpatine's upbringing. Or just some sort of spin-off that somehow relates to the 6 episodes, but doesn't follow in the progression. It just feels like you can't go further than VI, even though George has written stuff for after.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
This video is in 7 parts(this is part 1/7), but it's definitely worth watching. While they do attempt a lot of humor in this video he is spot on with many points. Especially how the plot makes no sense.

I don't have the time and don't want to watch a 70 minute review of a movie, my opinion is the 3 prequels were great films and I enjoyed all of them.

How did the plot make no sense? The trade federation wants the queen to sign a treaty so they take over her home planet Naboo. While getting away from there, their ship gets damaged, they land on Tatooine to search for parts and they discover Anakin Skywalker (who ends up being freaking Darth Vader). Seems like a pretty nice and significant plot to me? But like I said, this is my opinion.

As for the script? What about it? It's set a long long time ago in a galaxy far away. Obviously there are gonna be some cheesy lines that people will say "Ha!" or "Pff" to, there were lines like that in the first 3 as well.

They were still rated pretty high on IMDb as well so I think the people that say the movies were "terrible" or "crap" are the minority.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
This video is in 7 parts(this is part 1/7), but it's definitely worth watching. While they do attempt a lot of humor in this video he is spot on with many points. Especially how the plot makes no sense.

Hilarious video

Old
10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Fanpuck33

Lucas won't be completely out of the picture, but it sounds like he won't be the driving creative force behind it. I am super excited about this. The franchise needed a new vision - he was too obsessed with special effects and had lost touch with the fan base. It will be interesting to see what they do with the new trilogy. I know Lucas had outlines for future films, but I don't think scripts were ever penned. Will they use these outlines for the new trilogy? Our will they adapt stories from the expanded universe, such as Timothy Zahn's fantastic Thrawn trilogy?

Old
10-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Ever since the Dark Knight came out in 2008 I think occasionally what a Christopher Nolan Star Wars movie would be like.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Agreed with Pauley.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:48 PM
discostu

Unless the option of "not seeing it if it looks crappy" is somehow off the table I don't see too much of a downside. Disney probably recognizes if they do this right, they have a cash cow franchise that can serve as their tentpole flick every few summers. If they do it wrong, they then paid $4b for a movie franchise that will become less relevant over time if the prequels become the quality standards future additions live up to.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Kamal007
God Level

I like the new trilogy. Looking forward to this.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I'm with the 'I don't think this is as terrible as most people are thinking' crowd.

10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
I just...I can't...what?

I mean I love Star Wars, so more can't be a bad thing even if done wrong, but I did like the simplicity of 6 movies. They're reaching Harry Potter continuity at this point. And there's no way they're only making ONE.

Old
10-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Maybe they'll base it on the Thrawn trilogy. If so that'd be awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrawn_trilogy
I can't find the graphic novel right now but based on the info on web, it may have been one of the Dark Empire books, either the second or the third. That could also be a story line for the movies.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Tell me who will write and who will direct, then I'll tell you if I'm happy or if I'm gonna commit suicide.

For now, I'm VERY skeptical.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:14 PM
clefty
What?

And for the same reason I've never touched the Expanded Universe, I'm not interested.

Return of the Jedi is the end of the story. What happens to everything after that? I don't feel like you're supposed to know. More than not wanting more Star Wars - I don't need more Star Wars.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

I am officially convinced that George Lucas is a troll. Selling off LucasArts + control of the Star Wars universe fulfilled every SW fan's ultimate wet dream. At the same time, selling it to Disney is probably the last thing every every SW fan wanted.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

http://www.starwars.com/play/online-...?cs=n4cuqp76pc

Old
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellogs View Post
I am officially convinced that George Lucas is a troll. Selling off LucasArts + control of the Star Wars universe fulfilled every SW fan's ultimate wet dream. At the same time, selling it to Disney is probably the last thing every every SW fan wanted.
That's what every Pixar fan said... Aaaaand they are cool with it now.
That's what every Marvel fan said... Aaaaand they are cool with it now.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Tell me who will write and who will direct, then I'll tell you if I'm happy or if I'm gonna commit suicide.

For now, I'm VERY skeptical.
This. Disney has some good directors at their command, but they also have some pretty bad ones. Is this going to be Avengers/Ironman good or John Carter bad? I pick out my 'must see' movies based on the director and writers involved. It almost never fails to be an accurate predictor of how good a movie ends up. Rarely do bad directors overreach and do something great after a mediocre/bad track record and vice versa.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

2015? Cue me immediately thinking of the Jaws 19 scene in Back to the Future 2:

So close.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
That's what every Pixar fan said... Aaaaand they are cool with it now.
Brave and Cars 2 weren't exactly resounding successes. At least not the type that Pixar had been accustomed to. Yeah, they both made 500 million + worldwide but they were not well received by critics.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
IronMosher

vCash: 430
Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansfield View Post
Exactly, there's nothing left to tell. They need to create a separate storyline with new characters. I don't really have high hopes though, these movies will make a **** load of money regardless of quality.
Have you read any of the books? There's all kinds of stories to tell. I hope they use some of them at least as a baseline. I think the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy would make awesome movies.

Closed Thread