HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Eskimos (IV): playoffs @ Toronto next week; Tillman fired

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 01:31 AM
PDO

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Rottier didn't move himself here. He seriously considered another western team.
While building his home here before he was even a member of the team?

Old
10-30-2012, 02:37 AM
eskies4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
They certainly didn't help.

That said, neither did trading draft picks for Inglis and letting Tim St. Pierre walk without an offer.

Neither did trading away a HOF QB without getting back a single impact player.

Neither did giving away a 1st round pick for a kicker worse than the one we have (that we traded away a HOF QB for).

Neither did failing to attract any kind of Canadian FA except for Rottier, who moved himself here.
Grant Shaw was not worse then the kicker we had, in fact I prefer him to our former kicker. I love the pick in the deal since we turned it into two players who will have a impact on this team in the future. Yes, I would of rather Jyles be someone like Andre Durie or Chad Owens but you don't always get what you want. I think the direction has been imminent since Maciocia that this team needs to "rebuild" desperately.. My definition of rebuilding is not sucking and getting high picks since that rarely works in the CFL its bringing in talent that will have a impact on the team in the future. The players I listed in my earlier post will have a impact. I think we are currently rebuilding without letting anyone know. (I admit the Brody McNight deal is horrible and I have no idea what Tillman was thinking when it happened... In my opinion the value is worse then the Ray trade) I think we are sitting in a good spot for a team with no QB and if we make the playoffs thats great also. This offseason is a lot more important to me than if we make the playoffs or not this season. Tillman needs to bring in a QB that can play QB and not the scrubs we currently have and then begin to fill out the rest of the roster. Im on the fence about Kavis, I think he's a good coach who has made some terrible decisions this season. I would think about the decision and would not just jump to it either way. This off-season if Tillman is still here needs to be about finding a good QB (not a capable one if even that)...I would seriously try to look at bringing Rielly and if that fails MacPherson (who I think is a very good QB and the player I would prefer) on top of that don't spend a second away from looking at potential Eskimos in the states.

(This is all pending Tillman being back)

Last edited by eskies4life: 10-30-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 09:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Well based on what I've seen, Crandell and Reed SHOULD be the fall guys before Tillman. Going on the premise that bad coaching has pissed away at least three games and possibly more, it's not unreasonable to say Tillman has assembled a roster that should have won 10 or 11 games. Not spectacular, but not too shabby either, especially considering the number of key injuries.
Tillman allowing Crandell to still be on this team could end up biting him in the arse. I don't expect Tillman to get canned, but I could see how the GM gets canned for keeping a guy around that is more harm than good.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
While building his home here before he was even a member of the team?
The house could be rented and he looked at the Riders. Don't get me wrong, we were always the front runners but the Riders were definitely in the hunt. I know the guy and asked him this.

Last edited by MoneyGuy: 10-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith
I never thought I'd say this, but...

Go Stamps Go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If they're not giving themselves the best chance to win, should we support it?
You aren't a fan anyway in that case. Cheering for opponents and announcing that on a team specific Edmonton board and Edmonton team thread amounts to trolling.

If you're cheering for the opponent you're not a fan of this club, period, and please get off the bus at the next stop.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
nope...I wanna see the Esks make it then get smashed by Ray and the Argos

please make it happen baby Jesus
Why on Earth would anybody be cheering for the Argos AGAINST the Eskimos in a playoff game and announce that in this Edmonton Eskimos thread? Please see above.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:45 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
So he's going with the 3rd times a charm with Joseph. Well lets hope he pulls Joseph much before 9 minutes left in the game.

The team players much better in front of Nichols than Joseph anyway.

Stamps is always a non-factor until Nichols comes in, its very strange.

I suppose Kavis has to convince his team that Joseph is a quarterback too and you have to protect him.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
So he's going with the 3rd times a charm with Joseph. Well lets hope he pulls Joseph much before 9 minutes left in the game.

The team players much better in front of Nichols than Joseph anyway.

Stamps is always a non-factor until Nichols comes in, its very strange.

I suppose Kavis has to convince his team that Joseph is a quarterback too and you have to protect him.
I don't discount that Kavis Reed would desperately WANT the Stamps to practice all week in preparation to face a wounded Joseph. Don't be surprised this time if Joseph starts and is pulled in the first half if the same events unfold as in Montreal. On the other hand if the game is close at the half then we're likely seeing Joseph much of the way.

People can't lose sight of the fact either that Montreal very much changed their D setup after the Stamps TD. They were still being agressive on that play but after two Al's rushers that were coming clean on Nichols knocked themselves right out of the play Nichols had the time to hit the slow developing pattern. If those two don't trip over each other they get the easy sack and Montreal keeps bringing the house. That long ball made all the difference and gave the Als some healthy fear. Changed the whole approach they had with Nichols.

Calgary WILL bring the house against Nichols like they did last time. We need more fast breaking plays for Nichols to have heat options. Without it anybody we put back there is dead.

ftr imo I'd start Joseph just to see and then in the first quarter if my assessment was bad Joseph I'd throw Nichols in for the rest of the game. I don't think I want Nichols knowing hes starting a year deciding game. This is essentially a playoff game of sorts.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
ftr imo I'd start Joseph just to see and then in the first quarter if my assessment was bad Joseph I'd throw Nichols in for the rest of the game. I don't think I want Nichols knowing hes starting a year deciding game. This is essentially a playoff game of sorts.
Well Replacement I agree 100% with you, but you know and I know Joseph ain't getting the yank that early.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
MoneyGuy

I think Hamilton, Edmonton and B.C. win this week, putting us into third in the west and the Riders get the crossover. Now, go place your bets.

If this happens, it will be a nice slap in the face for the Riders' fan who got into it with me after the game we beat them a couple of weeks ago. He was mocking me with, "Enjoy your crossover." Tool!

Old
10-30-2012, 05:08 PM
joestevens29

Ray sitting Thursday against Hamilton.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Six in O6

Jyles is still 5-4 as a starter....

Old
10-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Ray sitting Thursday against Hamilton.
Haha, thanks Toronto.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:38 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Haha, thanks Toronto.
I want Hamilton to win to force us to win out. We need to show we deserve to be there.

At practice today was our newest kicker - Joey McKnight. Joey Moss was at practice today dressed up for Hallowe'en as Brody McKnight and he even kicked some. He didn’t do well, apparently. I don't think he's playing Friday, however.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Moneypuck

Thinking that letting Joseph carry the load this week leading up to this game is a good thing. If things don't go well out of the gate for Joseph, they'll have a motivated Nichols to come in and try and pull this out of the fire.

Putting this burden on Nichols shoulders leading up to the game didn't work out so well last time (Calgary game). Maybe he's a feet to the flames/ getting thrown in the deep end with little time to overthink things kinda player early in his career.

Last edited by Moneypuck: 10-30-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Thinking that letting Joseph carry the load this week leading up to this game is a good thing. If things don't go well out of the gate for Joseph, they'll have a motivated Nichols to come in and try and pull this out of the fire.

Putting this burden on Nichols shoulders leading up to the game didn't work out so well last time (Calgary game). Maybe he's a feet to the flames/ getting thrown in the deep end with little time to overthink things kinda player early in his career.
Precisely.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I think Hamilton, Edmonton and B.C. win this week, putting us into third in the west and the Riders get the crossover. Now, go place your bets.

If this happens, it will be a nice slap in the face for the Riders' fan who got into it with me after the game we beat them a couple of weeks ago. He was mocking me with, "Enjoy your crossover." Tool!
Edmonton is not going to win.

Old
10-30-2012, 09:51 PM
#ualberta

Just like Toronto Calgary has nothing to play for right maybe they will sit they're RB or QB

Old
10-30-2012, 09:55 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Just like Toronto Calgary has nothing to play for right maybe they will sit they're RB or QB
Dont know about Cornish but Tate will play...thats pretty much a guarantee.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Cornish will play. He has the opportunity to break Normie Kwong's record for the most rushing yards accumulated by a Canadian running back in a single season.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Cornish will play. He has the opportunity to break Normie Kwong's record for the most rushing yards accumulated by a Canadian running back in a single season.
He is going to run roughshod over us again.

We have next to no chance to win this game and the little chance we did have went straight out the window with the decision to start Methusela.

Old
10-30-2012, 11:38 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
You aren't a fan anyway in that case. Cheering for opponents and announcing that on a team specific Edmonton board and Edmonton team thread amounts to trolling.

If you're cheering for the opponent you're not a fan of this club, period, and please get off the bus at the next stop.
So everyone in all those Fail for Nail and Fall for Hall threads falls under the same blanket, right?

I want an EE team that is consistently great.

Certainly won't happen under this regime.

For the record, I think we win this week.

I also think we get destroyed the week after @ CGY.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:42 AM
eskies4life

Quote:
So everyone in all those Fail for Nail and Fall for Hall threads falls under the same blanket, right?

You have a point. Although I wouldn't compare Hockey to Football. There is a difference between wanting to secure a top draft pick and cheering against your team in a sense. Are team was already loosing horribly every night and we were just hoping for something to cheer for. Here we have the chance to make the playoffs. I

The Oilers fans were wanting to rebuild. We were not cheering for the other team, we were cheering for us to lose and get a top pick.

The poster is hoping we don't make the playoffs and cheering for our arch rival.

Last edited by eskies4life: 10-31-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:

What are you, a cop or something?

BTW...just a general observation.

I just checked the schedule because I didn't know the day we play next, and I noticed quite the difference in attendance btween the games in Edmonton/the West and games in the East. Typical Etown game in East is ~ 23K, while in the West is ~ 30K +.

Is it just because noone wants to see the Esks play, or is it the CFL in general?

Last edited by Dorian2: 10-31-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

People are specifically talking about cheering for the opposition in a BOA game with playoff implications. If that ever happened under any circumstance with the Oilers/Flames it would be considered trolling and called out.

Even though the "fail" threads are regularly called out theres a perception that its still for the team benefit if you get a high, or #1 draft pick in the world.

To try to compare this with cheering for a team to be lousy so that they get the #1 Canadian football player in the country is asinine. That would be like an NFL team tanking to get exclusive rights to the #1 football player in Michigan.

Closed Thread