HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Number 1 defenceman to Edmonton

Old
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Edler + 2nd for Hemsky, Klefbom, Paajarvi.

Probably an overpayment by the Oilers. Note, as a Canucks fan, I'm on the fence for this trade and it depends how much Edler is willing to sign for the Canucks.

Actually I think Vancouver's overpaying...I've had a long day.
No way in heck. Edler isn't being traded for an assortment of lesser pieces unless he's determined to walk.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:01 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Oilers take the deal and run.
Disagree.

Like the poster above mentioned, with Edler nearly a FA there is no need to send that much value Vancouver's way.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Disagree.

Like the poster below mentioned, with Edler nearly a FA there is no need to send that much value Vancouver's way.
Agreed, but there's also no reason for us to trade him unless a lot of value's coming our way. His value to us is as much as if he were signed long-term. His value to other teams is obviously less. So unless a team is confident they can re-sign him, there's no deal to be made.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Even if Edler isn't signed and he might go to free agency?
Signed Edler and the Oilers take the deal.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:10 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
It looks like you have the crystal ball.

It's hard to take you SERIOUSLY when you say things like OEL is a million times better than anyone that the Oilers have.

Please do not compare J. Schultz to Runblad. Runblad will be playing in the AHL when the NHL resumes, and Schultz will be racking up points in the NHL.

You also talk about Polak, as a 25year old, playing in 77 games, he had 0 goals and only 11 assists, was only a +7.

You've lost all credibility.
OEL is a million times better than anyone the Oilers have. He's an elite #1 defenseman. He's big. He's physical. He can skate as well as anyone. He's studly defensively. He manages to put up points despite playing extremely tough minutes and having Yandle get all the prime offensive time. The Oilers don't have any defenseman on their roster or in their pool who is even close to that.

And I forgot, points are everything for defensemen on the Oilers. I guess Smid's not good at all, since a year ago he was 25 and put up 0 goals and only 10 assists, while being only a -10.

Talk about credibility...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
Traded down and got more assets and still a decent pick?
Great idea except you know what teams have gotten for trading down? Tampa got the 4th overall pick and two 3rd round picks, Florida got the 3rd overall and the option to swap picks with Columbus the next season which they didnt do. The first overall pick just isnt worth that much.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
OEL is a million times better than anyone the Oilers have. He's an elite #1 defenseman. He's big. He's physical. He can skate as well as anyone. He's studly defensively. He manages to put up points despite playing extremely tough minutes and having Yandle get all the prime offensive time. The Oilers don't have any defenseman on their roster or in their pool who is even close to that.

And I forgot, points are everything for defensemen on the Oilers. I guess Smid's not good at all, since a year ago he was 25 and put up 0 goals and only 10 assists, while being only a -10.

Smid was a +4, with 15 pts on a 29th place team. He played the tough minutes, and was on the ice against the best the opposing team had. Check out his Corsi before going any further. At least I didn't try to convince anyone that Smid is 1st pairing D. He is a very effective defensive D that is perfect in the 3/4 role.

In my opionion, OEL, and especially Yandle are extremely overrated. Please don't talk to me about 22-25 year old D's that haven't even made the NHL like Runblad or Polak.

Do you care to tell me your team. I want to hear it from you!

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:21 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:

Most Oilerfans actually think their defence is going to be great in the future.I don't for a second think the defence will be anything better than average.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Smid was a +4, with 15 pts on a 29th place team. He played the tough minutes, and was on the ice against the best the opposing team had. Check out his Corsi before going any further. At least I didn't try to convince anyone that Smid is 1st pairing D. He is a very effective defensive D that is perfect in the 3/4 role.

In my opionion, OEL, and especially Yandle are extremely overrated. Please don't talk to me about 22-25 year old D's that haven't even made the NHL like Runblad or Polak.

Do you care to tell me your team. I want to hear it from you!
Polak's been playing in the NHL for 4 years...

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Fourier

Quote:
The urgency with trading Eberle is that you want to trade him while his value is high. While he had the benefit of good percentages and easy minutes and PP time.
I don't buy into the regression arguement at all. Probably not the thead to debate this, but while I might not know much about hockey, I do know a little about math and this is just bad math.

Last edited by Fourier: 10-30-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
It looks like you have the crystal ball.

It's hard to take you SERIOUSLY when you say things like OEL is a million times better than anyone that the Oilers have.

Please do not compare J. Schultz to Runblad. Runblad will be playing in the AHL when the NHL resumes, and Schultz will be racking up points in the NHL.

You also talk about Polak, as a 25year old, playing in 77 games, he had 0 goals and only 11 assists, was only a +7.

You've lost all credibility.
im sure the fact that the defense being weak in Edmonton and strong in Phoenix has a little to do with that.....

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Polak's been playing in the NHL for 4 years...
Point is neither should be mentioned when talking about stacked D units.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
oilersfan11

Career Potential

Justin Schultz first to second pairing defenceman
Ladislav Smid second pairing defenceman
Jeff Petry second pairing defenceman
Oscar Klefbom second pairing defenceman
Martin Marincin second pairing defenceman
David Musil second to third pairing defenceman
Martin Gernat third pairing defenceman

Last edited by oilersfan11: 10-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
im sure the fact that the defense being weak in Edmonton and strong in Phoenix has a little to do with that.....
Are you saying that the only reason J Schultz will play in the NHL is because he is playing in Edmonton. You don't think he can crack Phoenix's lineup? Do you think he could crack the Habs lineup?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Career Potential

Justin Schultz first to second pairing defenceman
Ladislav Smid second pairing defenceman
Jeff Petry second pairing defenceman
Oscar Klefbom second pairing defenceman
Martin Marincin second pairing defenceman
David Musil second to third pairing defenceman
Martin Gernat third pairing defenceman
I think this is pretty reasonable

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:53 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Are you saying that the only reason J Schultz will play in the NHL is because he is playing in Edmonton. You don't think he can crack Phoenix's lineup? Do you think he could crack the Habs lineup?
thats not exactly what I said.

I meant that the defense is weaker in Edmonton so it will be easier for Schultz to make the team and play a bigger role. He might not have the same chance if he was coming into the NHL for Phoenix.

Last edited by IceDaddy: 10-30-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
thats not exactly what I said.

I meant that the defense is weaker in Edmonton so it will be easier for Schultz to make the team and play a bigger role. He might not have the same chance if he was coming into the NHL for Phoenix.
I'm sorry...I thought you were saying that the only reason why Runblad might have difficulty making it in the NHL is because he is playing in Phoenix, whereas J Schultz will play in the NHL because he is with the Oilers. I guess you are trying to say that if the roles were reversed, Runblad would be in the NHL (Perhaps) and J Schultz will not be in the Phoenix lineup. I have to say, I'm not in agreement with that. I think JS would crack every lineup, with the exception of perhaps 1 or 2 teams. And even that's a reach.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Fourier

Quote:
No, but a guy like John Carlson might be. He's the guy I'd target.
I love Carlson. But I still don't see the urgency. Nor do I think that either team would be inclined to look at such a deal right now.

Quote:
Keith Yandle had a 1.33 ppg in the Q to his name and a .5 ppg season in the AHL by the time he was 19, despite being a 4th round pick.
Yandle was 20 in his rookie year in the AHL. At 21 he had 15 points in 30 games in the AHL. Schultz has 12 points in 7 games. Can I conclude that Schultz will be far better than Yandle?
Quote:
Kris Letang was at .7 ppg in the AHL by the time he was 20, and he was a 3rd round pick.
Kris Letang played 10 games in total in the AHL. Martin Marincin has 4 points in 7 gams so far as a twenty year old. He is playing top pairng and has been great in his own zone. Does this mean he will be as good as Letang?

Quote:
Duncan Keith was playing elite defense and at a .35 ppg in the AHL at age 19 despite being picked int he very late 2nd round.
Keith's first year in the AHL was when he was 20. At the same age as Schutz he had 9 goals and 26 points in 79 games. Again, does this mean that Schultz will be much better than Keith?

Quote:

You know what the problem is? You're comparing a guy chosen in the mid-first round with guys all chosen at 55 or later. Those guys shouldn't be expected to progress as quickly as Klefbom, but all 3 had breakout seasons directly after being drafted. So yeah, you can definitely get a handle on what kind of NHL player a guy is going to be if he's putting up elite numbers like that at age 19.
This does not help your case. The fact that Klefbom was drafted higher than h=these guys does not mean that he will not be as good. The point I made still stands. You do not know how good any of these kids will be and nor do I. All we know is that right now all of Klefbom, Schultz and Marincin are playing extremly well.

Quote:
My question is to keeping together your young elite forwards while having enough depth to have a Cup-winning team. Chicago won it while Kane and Toews were still on their ELCs. Anaheim won it while Getzlaf and Perry were still on their ELCs. Do you honestly think that the Oilers can win it while RNH/Yakupov are on their ELCs? Because if not, considering the contract Eberle got, you're going to have to be very careful with your financials.
Take a look at why Chicago could not keep their team together. It had much more to do with overpaying the support guys, going $4M over the cap in their cup run and doing so in a year when the cap was flat.

The Oilers on the other hand have carefully mangaged their contracts. They should have little problem keeping this group together going forward and still having money to fill in their holes.

Last edited by Fourier: 10-30-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:26 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
I'm sorry...I thought you were saying that the only reason why Runblad might have difficulty making it in the NHL is because he is playing in Phoenix, whereas J Schultz will play in the NHL because he is with the Oilers. I guess you are trying to say that if the roles were reversed, Runblad would be in the NHL (Perhaps) and J Schultz will not be in the Phoenix lineup. I have to say, I'm not in agreement with that. I think JS would crack every lineup, with the exception of perhaps 1 or 2 teams. And even that's a reach.

I dont mean to insult the Oilers or anything but dont you think that would be part of his decision to sign with the Oilers in the first place?

Sign with the Oilers and play a big role on an up and coming team right away or sign somewhere else and fight for playing time behind 4-5 guys.......

Old
10-30-2012, 06:29 PM
XO

vCash: 180
Oiler fans wastly overrating their players as usual, nothing new here. Next!

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
I dont mean to insult the Oilers or anything but dont you think that would be part of his decision to sign with the Oilers in the first place?

Sign with the Oilers and play a big role on an up and coming team right away or sign somewhere else and fight for playing time behind 4-5 guys.......
I think you have a valid point, but I'd like to think that he signed with Edmonton because it is an up and coming team with so much potential. He may have felt that he could be a part of something special, and that's why he signed with Edmonton.

In my opinion, based on a 7 game viewing of him in OKC, and from scouting reports, I think he is going to be a very good player for us. But you just never know!!!

Old
10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
MW6

I would rather build a team around Seguin/Landeskog/Murray than Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Yakupov.
And had the Oilers went that direction they would be looking at a starting line-up for the next 10-15 years looking something like this:

Landeskog-Seguin-Eberle
Murray-Schultz

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:44 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I'm sure if you package MPS with Gagner, maybe throw in a 3rd round pick, St Louis would be happy to give you Alex Pietrangelo, or Pheonix would send you Yandle (if he meets your standards of #1D).

If I was St. Louis, if you threw in RNH in that trade, I still wouldn't take it for Pietrangelo.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
I would rather build a team around Seguin/Landeskog/Murray than Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Yakupov.
And had the Oilers went that direction they would be looking at a starting line-up for the next 10-15 years looking something like this:

Landeskog-Seguin-Eberle
Murray-Schultz
at C: RNH > Seguin
Wing: Yak > Landeskog
D: Klefbom > Murray

+ you also have Hall and Eberle left over.

No thanks...I'll take the Oilers' lineup any day of the week.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Anchor Town

Maybe you could try to package Schultz, Klefbom, and MPS for a lower #1 D

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote