HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Yeah because it's a horrible team. And Luongo will want to join that situation?
I don't know? Unlike countless others who come in this thread I'm not going to act like I know what Luongo will do.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
RogerRoeper*

Columbus was in a win now mode a year ago and how did that turn out for them? They got Carter to compliment Nash and get better. It was a horrific disaster and now Nash and Carter are gone.

Columbus in in for a long-term rebuild.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I don't know? Unlike countless others who come in this thread I'm not going to act like I know what Luongo will do.
I think I know: He wants to go to Florida, but they have serious doubts over the contract and whether they even need him or not.

Florida is a great fit for Luongo, Luongo however, is not nearly as good a for Florida.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:
I think I know: He wants to go to Florida, but they have serious doubts over the contract and whether they even need him or not.

Florida is a great fit for Luongo, Luongo however, is not nearly as good a for Florida.
This sums it up.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Columbus was in a win now mode a year ago and how did that turn out for them? They got Carter to compliment Nash and get better. It was a horrific disaster and now Nash and Carter are gone.

Thats what happens when an incompetent GM is allowed to spend a lot of money. Not every incompetent GM can land 3 #1 overalls in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm sure they tried, waiting as long as possible until it became obvious they weren't getting a better offer.
hear this Y2k?

Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 10-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Columbus is rebuilding no doubt. The attempt to get better with the big Carter move was a disaster for them.

The Nash trade was mostly about futures BTW.

Actually the Carter move is a direct implication that they wanted to get better fast. They dealt a good 1st and a young promising player -- Does that sound like a rebuild move?

The Nash trade netted them 3 NHLers _today_ and deadline currency in the 1st. Unless you think they are going to turn around and trade Dubinsky and Anisimov for more futures?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Scurr

Quote:
It's funny that Canuck fans taunted Leaf fans with "Why Would Luongo Waive His NTC to Toronto?" And now, they're so sure he'd gladly head to Columbus. I have to laugh.
He doesn't have to waive to go there for Columbus to be interested and help make a market. It's why Gillis hasn't asked Lu yet imo, we have a smart GM.

Quote:
Top blue chip prospect. The way Leaf fans have been told for years to build.
Burke would like to still be around when those prospects start playing.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm sure they tried, waiting as long as possible until it became obvious they weren't getting a better offer.
right....every rumour that concerned moving Nash was for rebuilding pieces. The package they acquired got them much younger.....but you're right they were trying to acquire a win now forward but couldn't. Not a single team was willing to offer a package involving currently better players than Dubinsky....so they settled for a package built around a 1st round pick and a top 20 prospect....

Old
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:

They turned Voracek, a 1st and a 3rd into a likely lower 1st and Johnson, I'd say thats a step forward for "win now" or at least competative team building.

Nash garnered two top six NHL centers, a franchise need with their recent sell offs, Anisimov and Dubinksy aren't exactly strictly futures.

Methot for Foligno points to remaining competative as well.

Keeping Prospal, Umberger, Tyutin and Wisniewski, as well as Boll and Dorsett, and even adding Aucoin recently point to wanting to compete. Johansen is developping as well, and could be ready for service whenever the NHL begins.

They have a solid core, and truth be told, I think are in a more competative position then Toronto, even after losing Nash.

My only question of Mason and Bobrovski. Both are lesser tenders then Luongo, but both are capable of platooning...would Columbus need Luongo any more then Florida?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
They turned Voracek, a 1st and a 3rd into a likely lower 1st and Johnson, I'd say thats a step forward for "win now" or at least competative team building.

Nash garnered two top six NHL centers, a franchise need with their recent sell offs, Anisimov and Dubinksy aren't exactly strictly futures.

Keeping Prospal, Umberger, Tyutin and Wisniewski, as well as Boll and Dorsett, and even adding Aucoin recently point to wanting to compete. Johansen is developping as well, and could be ready for service whenever the NHL begins.

They have a solid core, and truth be told, I think are in a more competative position then Toronto, even after losing Nash.

My only question of Mason and Bobrovski. Both are lesser tenders then Luongo, but both are capable of platooning...would Columbus need Luongo any more then Florida?
Unless the cap changes to have Luongo's cap hit revert back to Vancouver, there is zero chance of Columbus taking on a 10 year contract given to a 33 year old. ZERO.

In fact, I'd eliminate all small market teams from the list of possible trade partners.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unless the cap changes to have Luongo's cap hit revert back to Vancouver, there is zero chance of Columbus taking on a 10 year contract given to a 33 year old. ZERO.

In fact, I'd eliminate all small market teams from the list of possible trade partners.

Yet that small market team phoned to inquire about Lu. Why? The same Lu they knew was going to be 33 and had a lengthy contract?

The supposition that's going on here is great and all, but we have evidence to the contrary, so why do people still choose to follow their own narrative regardless?

Old
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

I don't understand. They wouldn't pay any salary if he retires. If anything that makes him more appealing to cap floor teams.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Far too much speculation for it to even matter really

Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

They had no issues bringing in Carter on a similar contract.

Rick Nash was one of the highest paid players in the league..

I wouldnt worry about CBJ's ability to pay salary.

Old
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

I would...the franchise is losing money. The team just gave up draft picks to acquire Brobovsky. What possible logic is there in acquiring Luongo now.

As for what happened last offseason, things were totally different in Columbus a year ago. They were clearly in win now mode then. Since that time, they jetisoned Carter, Nash, Vermette, and Pahlsson, all for deals based around draft picks. They now have 3 first round draft picks in 2013. The team is currently just above the cap floor. Their big off season acquisition was Aucoin on a 1 year deal for 2 mil.

Honestly, I don't know how a team could be more obviously rebuilding than Columbus.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
DJOpus

Quote:

Yep, all because they didn't get a goalie and decided to rely on their young keeper who had some prior success for a short period of time.

Just replace Nash with Kessel, Carter with Lupul, Wis with Phaneuf, and Vermette with Grabo....

So many parallels.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I would...the franchise is losing money. The team just gave up draft picks to acquire Brobovsky. What possible logic is there in acquiring Luongo now.

As for what happened last offseason, things were totally different in Columbus a year ago. They were clearly in win now mode then. Since that time, they jetisoned Carter, Nash, Vermette, and Pahlsson, all for deals based around draft picks. They now have 3 first round draft picks in 2013. The team is currently just above the cap floor. Their big off season acquisition was Aucoin on a 1 year deal for 2 mil.

Honestly, I don't know how a team could be more obviously rebuilding than Columbus.

It's astounding that someone can look at the Nash deal and figure that the most important pieces are Erixon and a late 1st instead of legit NHLers in Dubinsky and Anisimov. Only on HF...

Again, why would a rebuilding team target Luongo at all? (Dreger)

Or, why does a rebuilding team need to add pressure on Howson by bringing in Davidson?

You are going to have define your version of what constitutes a rebuild for you not to get questioned on this.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Shawnathon

Quote:

Depending on Bobrovsky to save Columbus is just as foolish as starting the 3 seasons with Steve Mason as the starter.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
The problem is with Luongo having a say in where he wants to go. At the end of the day we can talk about every team under the sun, but Luongo may not want to go there

Old
10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
The problem is with Luongo having a say in where he wants to go. At the end of the day we can talk about every team under the sun, but Luongo may not want to go there

Hasn't even gotten to the point of asking him.

The thing with Davidson being there is that he brings legitimate direction there. It's not left to Howson alone. And that can turn opinion on how to view the team.

Old
10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Depending on Bobrovsky to save Columbus is just as foolish as starting the 3 seasons with Steve Mason as the starter.
Save them? The team is clearly rebuilding. They went with Brobovsky as the is cheap, and they clearly see he still hast he potential to recover back to his previous level.

Brobosky should also be a good example to Canucks fans of how easily a young goalie can fall off.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:13 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

They're losing MASSIVE amounts of money.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:14 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post

Of course you do but they don't have Toronto's talent.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He doesn't have to waive to go there for Columbus to be interested and help make a market. It's why Gillis hasn't asked Lu yet imo, we have a smart GM.

Burke would like to still be around when those prospects start playing.
Burke's job is fine. No chance he'll be fired.

Old
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Actually the Carter move is a direct implication that they wanted to get better fast. They dealt a good 1st and a young promising player -- Does that sound like a rebuild move?

The Nash trade netted them 3 NHLers _today_ and deadline currency in the 1st. Unless you think they are going to turn around and trade Dubinsky and Anisimov for more futures?
Of course not, but do you think they have the same direction today? No.

Closed Thread