HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The All Purpose Lu Thread (MOD WARNING IN OP)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2012, 05:24 PM
  #126
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Yeah because it's a horrible team. And Luongo will want to join that situation?
I don't know? Unlike countless others who come in this thread I'm not going to act like I know what Luongo will do.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
  #127
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Columbus was in a win now mode a year ago and how did that turn out for them? They got Carter to compliment Nash and get better. It was a horrific disaster and now Nash and Carter are gone.

Columbus in in for a long-term rebuild.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  #128
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I don't know? Unlike countless others who come in this thread I'm not going to act like I know what Luongo will do.
I think I know: He wants to go to Florida, but they have serious doubts over the contract and whether they even need him or not.

Florida is a great fit for Luongo, Luongo however, is not nearly as good a for Florida.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  #129
Shawnathon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I think I know: He wants to go to Florida, but they have serious doubts over the contract and whether they even need him or not.

Florida is a great fit for Luongo, Luongo however, is not nearly as good a for Florida.
This sums it up.

Shawnathon is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
  #130
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Columbus was in a win now mode a year ago and how did that turn out for them? They got Carter to compliment Nash and get better. It was a horrific disaster and now Nash and Carter are gone.

Columbus in in for a long-term rebuild.
Thats what happens when an incompetent GM is allowed to spend a lot of money. Not every incompetent GM can land 3 #1 overalls in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm sure they tried, waiting as long as possible until it became obvious they weren't getting a better offer.
hear this Y2k?


Last edited by Scottrockztheworld*: 10-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
  #131
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Columbus is rebuilding no doubt. The attempt to get better with the big Carter move was a disaster for them.

The Nash trade was mostly about futures BTW.

Actually the Carter move is a direct implication that they wanted to get better fast. They dealt a good 1st and a young promising player -- Does that sound like a rebuild move?


The Nash trade netted them 3 NHLers _today_ and deadline currency in the 1st. Unless you think they are going to turn around and trade Dubinsky and Anisimov for more futures?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
  #132
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
It's funny that Canuck fans taunted Leaf fans with "Why Would Luongo Waive His NTC to Toronto?" And now, they're so sure he'd gladly head to Columbus. I have to laugh.
He doesn't have to waive to go there for Columbus to be interested and help make a market. It's why Gillis hasn't asked Lu yet imo, we have a smart GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Top blue chip prospect. The way Leaf fans have been told for years to build.
Burke would like to still be around when those prospects start playing.

Scurr is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
  #133
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm sure they tried, waiting as long as possible until it became obvious they weren't getting a better offer.
right....every rumour that concerned moving Nash was for rebuilding pieces. The package they acquired got them much younger.....but you're right they were trying to acquire a win now forward but couldn't. Not a single team was willing to offer a package involving currently better players than Dubinsky....so they settled for a package built around a 1st round pick and a top 20 prospect....

blankall is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:32 PM
  #134
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,733
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Columbus was in a win now mode a year ago and how did that turn out for them? They got Carter to compliment Nash and get better. It was a horrific disaster and now Nash and Carter are gone.

Columbus in in for a long-term rebuild.
They turned Voracek, a 1st and a 3rd into a likely lower 1st and Johnson, I'd say thats a step forward for "win now" or at least competative team building.

Nash garnered two top six NHL centers, a franchise need with their recent sell offs, Anisimov and Dubinksy aren't exactly strictly futures.

Methot for Foligno points to remaining competative as well.

Keeping Prospal, Umberger, Tyutin and Wisniewski, as well as Boll and Dorsett, and even adding Aucoin recently point to wanting to compete. Johansen is developping as well, and could be ready for service whenever the NHL begins.

They have a solid core, and truth be told, I think are in a more competative position then Toronto, even after losing Nash.

My only question of Mason and Bobrovski. Both are lesser tenders then Luongo, but both are capable of platooning...would Columbus need Luongo any more then Florida?

Cogburn is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  #135
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
They turned Voracek, a 1st and a 3rd into a likely lower 1st and Johnson, I'd say thats a step forward for "win now" or at least competative team building.

Nash garnered two top six NHL centers, a franchise need with their recent sell offs, Anisimov and Dubinksy aren't exactly strictly futures.

Methot for Foligno points to remaining competative as well.

Keeping Prospal, Umberger, Tyutin and Wisniewski, as well as Boll and Dorsett, and even adding Aucoin recently point to wanting to compete. Johansen is developping as well, and could be ready for service whenever the NHL begins.

They have a solid core, and truth be told, I think are in a more competative position then Toronto, even after losing Nash.

My only question of Mason and Bobrovski. Both are lesser tenders then Luongo, but both are capable of platooning...would Columbus need Luongo any more then Florida?
Unless the cap changes to have Luongo's cap hit revert back to Vancouver, there is zero chance of Columbus taking on a 10 year contract given to a 33 year old. ZERO.

In fact, I'd eliminate all small market teams from the list of possible trade partners.

blankall is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
  #136
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unless the cap changes to have Luongo's cap hit revert back to Vancouver, there is zero chance of Columbus taking on a 10 year contract given to a 33 year old. ZERO.

In fact, I'd eliminate all small market teams from the list of possible trade partners.

Yet that small market team phoned to inquire about Lu. Why? The same Lu they knew was going to be 33 and had a lengthy contract?


The supposition that's going on here is great and all, but we have evidence to the contrary, so why do people still choose to follow their own narrative regardless?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:49 PM
  #137
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,141
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unless the cap changes to have Luongo's cap hit revert back to Vancouver, there is zero chance of Columbus taking on a 10 year contract given to a 33 year old. ZERO.

In fact, I'd eliminate all small market teams from the list of possible trade partners.
I don't understand. They wouldn't pay any salary if he retires. If anything that makes him more appealing to cap floor teams.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
  #138
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,301
vCash: 500
Far too much speculation for it to even matter really

Scottrockztheworld* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
  #139
Ho Borvat
Registered User
 
Ho Borvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unless the cap changes to have Luongo's cap hit revert back to Vancouver, there is zero chance of Columbus taking on a 10 year contract given to a 33 year old. ZERO.

In fact, I'd eliminate all small market teams from the list of possible trade partners.
They had no issues bringing in Carter on a similar contract.

Rick Nash was one of the highest paid players in the league..

I wouldnt worry about CBJ's ability to pay salary.

Ho Borvat is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM
  #140
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
They had no issues bringing in Carter on a similar contract.

Rick Nash was one of the highest paid players in the league..

I wouldnt worry about CBJ's ability to pay salary.
I would...the franchise is losing money. The team just gave up draft picks to acquire Brobovsky. What possible logic is there in acquiring Luongo now.

As for what happened last offseason, things were totally different in Columbus a year ago. They were clearly in win now mode then. Since that time, they jetisoned Carter, Nash, Vermette, and Pahlsson, all for deals based around draft picks. They now have 3 first round draft picks in 2013. The team is currently just above the cap floor. Their big off season acquisition was Aucoin on a 1 year deal for 2 mil.

Honestly, I don't know how a team could be more obviously rebuilding than Columbus.

blankall is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:05 PM
  #141
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Columbus was in a win now mode a year ago and how did that turn out for them? They got Carter to compliment Nash and get better. It was a horrific disaster and now Nash and Carter are gone.

Columbus in in for a long-term rebuild.
Yep, all because they didn't get a goalie and decided to rely on their young keeper who had some prior success for a short period of time.

Just replace Nash with Kessel, Carter with Lupul, Wis with Phaneuf, and Vermette with Grabo....

So many parallels.

DJOpus is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
  #142
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I would...the franchise is losing money. The team just gave up draft picks to acquire Brobovsky. What possible logic is there in acquiring Luongo now.

As for what happened last offseason, things were totally different in Columbus a year ago. They were clearly in win now mode then. Since that time, they jetisoned Carter, Nash, Vermette, and Pahlsson, all for deals based around draft picks. They now have 3 first round draft picks in 2013. The team is currently just above the cap floor. Their big off season acquisition was Aucoin on a 1 year deal for 2 mil.

Honestly, I don't know how a team could be more obviously rebuilding than Columbus.


It's astounding that someone can look at the Nash deal and figure that the most important pieces are Erixon and a late 1st instead of legit NHLers in Dubinsky and Anisimov. Only on HF...


Again, why would a rebuilding team target Luongo at all? (Dreger)


Or, why does a rebuilding team need to add pressure on Howson by bringing in Davidson?



You are going to have define your version of what constitutes a rebuild for you not to get questioned on this.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  #143
Shawnathon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I would...the franchise is losing money. The team just gave up draft picks to acquire Brobovsky. What possible logic is there in acquiring Luongo now.

As for what happened last offseason, things were totally different in Columbus a year ago. They were clearly in win now mode then. Since that time, they jetisoned Carter, Nash, Vermette, and Pahlsson, all for deals based around draft picks. They now have 3 first round draft picks in 2013. The team is currently just above the cap floor. Their big off season acquisition was Aucoin on a 1 year deal for 2 mil.

Honestly, I don't know how a team could be more obviously rebuilding than Columbus.
Depending on Bobrovsky to save Columbus is just as foolish as starting the 3 seasons with Steve Mason as the starter.

Shawnathon is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
  #144
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,416
vCash: 1599
The problem is with Luongo having a say in where he wants to go. At the end of the day we can talk about every team under the sun, but Luongo may not want to go there

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
  #145
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
The problem is with Luongo having a say in where he wants to go. At the end of the day we can talk about every team under the sun, but Luongo may not want to go there

Hasn't even gotten to the point of asking him.


The thing with Davidson being there is that he brings legitimate direction there. It's not left to Howson alone. And that can turn opinion on how to view the team.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
  #146
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Depending on Bobrovsky to save Columbus is just as foolish as starting the 3 seasons with Steve Mason as the starter.
Save them? The team is clearly rebuilding. They went with Brobovsky as the is cheap, and they clearly see he still hast he potential to recover back to his previous level.

Brobosky should also be a good example to Canucks fans of how easily a young goalie can fall off.

blankall is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:13 PM
  #147
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
They had no issues bringing in Carter on a similar contract.

Rick Nash was one of the highest paid players in the league..

I wouldnt worry about CBJ's ability to pay salary.
They're losing MASSIVE amounts of money.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:14 PM
  #148
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
They turned Voracek, a 1st and a 3rd into a likely lower 1st and Johnson, I'd say thats a step forward for "win now" or at least competative team building.

Nash garnered two top six NHL centers, a franchise need with their recent sell offs, Anisimov and Dubinksy aren't exactly strictly futures.

Methot for Foligno points to remaining competative as well.

Keeping Prospal, Umberger, Tyutin and Wisniewski, as well as Boll and Dorsett, and even adding Aucoin recently point to wanting to compete. Johansen is developping as well, and could be ready for service whenever the NHL begins.

They have a solid core, and truth be told, I think are in a more competative position then Toronto, even after losing Nash.

My only question of Mason and Bobrovski. Both are lesser tenders then Luongo, but both are capable of platooning...would Columbus need Luongo any more then Florida?
Of course you do but they don't have Toronto's talent.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
  #149
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
He doesn't have to waive to go there for Columbus to be interested and help make a market. It's why Gillis hasn't asked Lu yet imo, we have a smart GM.



Burke would like to still be around when those prospects start playing.
Burke's job is fine. No chance he'll be fired.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
  #150
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Actually the Carter move is a direct implication that they wanted to get better fast. They dealt a good 1st and a young promising player -- Does that sound like a rebuild move?


The Nash trade netted them 3 NHLers _today_ and deadline currency in the 1st. Unless you think they are going to turn around and trade Dubinsky and Anisimov for more futures?
Of course not, but do you think they have the same direction today? No.

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.